Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea door for alcove

• 08-07-2011 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have an alcove with shelves and want to put an Ikea door. The alcove is 60cm in width which is what the door measures. What I am wondering about is the Ikea hinges which require drilling a large hole for each one into the 'side panel'. So I suppose I just measure the hinge and buy an appropriate size of drill bit. Are they standard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Very very amature diy-er myself,

I've bought a good few bits from ikea, the doors all come with hinges which come with screws.
    The hinges and screws are stored in a differant section in ikea, to the actual doors (usually) so you could just go in and look at them, but they're pretty standard.

Also, you can buy plastic "things" that go into the wall first, then you screw in the hinges.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭D.Craftsman

Seosamh, hinges sometimes need to have holes drilled in the side gable to take the mounting plate.It is possible to get standard hinges from other providers,Newman, Paneling Centre etc, which just screw on.Ikea hinges are not great but they are cheap.Hinges are not expensive anyway.You will need aside gable to hang the door on too.

Advertisement