Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tarot help?

Options
  • 08-07-2011 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I recently recieved my first set of tarot cards as a gift, and while there is a little booklet with them explaining the major arcana via the fool's story which was great, but the minor arcana is not very well explained at all.

I'm just wondering how any of you guys learnt the meaning of these cards, is there a good book/website that goes through the interpretations/spreads.

As I said, I am an absolute beginner with tarot, but I love my deck and would really love to be able to do even basic readings,

Thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I have the book that came with my set which is pretty comprehensive, but the cards are based on greek myths so there is a lot of blurb about that. I was given another book with very good interpretations, the only thing is many of these actually contradict the book that came with the cards.:D

My advice is get such a book (ill look it up and come back to you), learn your cards as best you can, and then just use them. If youre unsure of a card, look it up. But use your intuition first, allow that to steer you. One card can mean ten slightly different things to different people as the person involved and the place it appears in a spread will affect how it is read.

For instance the death card can mean pregnancy, change, etc.

There are many more experience readers who post here, so I await better info for you!

Edit: celtic cross is a good, easy to use spread you could try.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Melodi

You may also find that the newer card decks (various Oracle cards) are easier for you to learn to read on than classic tarot. I certain prefer them, I mostly use Psycards, which are fantastic if you are an intuitive reader and can use few cards. I just recently got "The Psychic Tarot," which is much larger but similar in that it has pictures and a word to define the card.

Some Oracle decks are very close to old fashioned Tarot and others contain totally new or unusual cards (the Psychic Tarot takes out some traditional cards and replaces them with the seven chakras).

There are also decks with just the Major Arcana cards (my Cat Tarot) deck is like that.

There's no write or wrong for this stuff; if your heart is set on classic tarot, then you probably need a good deck and more detailed book on the subject (sometimes you can get them in the library). You might even find some starter instruction courses on line or on You Tube; I haven't look, but if people are making how to videos for weaving patterns from Old Believer, Russian, Belts; I'll bet you can find some on reading Tarot too..*grin*

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Yukina

Thanks,

my deck is a new one, called quantum tarot, it's all the classic cards assosiated with a scientific event or theory eg gravity, the big bang etc. and I absolutely love them.. I'm a scientist on a day to day basis and a paranormal enthusiast so they really suit me. I honestly never thought to look at youtube...

I'll have a look and see, but thanks for all the info

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Melodi

I don't know how good her class is - but here's one that seems to be on-going: this is a link to Lesson One I find You Tube to have something on almost everything you can think of these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Yukina

Yeah youtube is great for everything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

Yukina wrote: »
    my deck is a new one, called quantum tarot, it's all the classic cards assosiated with a scientific event or theory eg gravity, the big bang etc. and I absolutely love them.. I'm a scientist on a day to day basis and a paranormal enthusiast so they really suit me. I honestly never thought to look at youtube...

Love that deck :D

Aeclectic.net have some varied enough interpretations, I used them to add to my own books. Also, if you're up for spending teeny tiny amounts of money, those discount bookshops tend to sell generic interpretation books for about a fiver.

Advertisement