Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help computer overheating

• 08-07-2011 1:56pm

it keeps overheating and going off about every ten mins, any ways I can cool it down? I was thinking maybe cold setting on hairdryer, would this help? I really just want it to work up until launch of Shuttle, then I dont care .

ANy help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Open up the case.

See Dust?

Remove Dust. Don't break things. Mind static charge.

Overheal wrote: »
    Open up the case.

See Dust?

Remove Dust. Don't break things. Mind static charge.

Ive tried that a few times, I'll do it again more thoroughly, its manky dusty alright :)
    Thanks a million. :))))

might get the hoover out LOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

If you just want it to work now, open the case like Overheal suggested and remove the dust with a compressed air can if you have one, or the cold setting on the hair dryer will work. Leave the case open so it doesn't keep the heat inside and try and move the case to somewhere that is more open if it's stuck in a corner or if it's inside a desk take it out.

For long term if you want to keep it cool do all that, but you can buy a case fan or two to help get better airflow through the case they are very cheap and easy to install.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/coolers-air/system-case-fans-120mm-upwards
    Or you can get a new CPU cooler which will keep the CPU cool.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/coolermaster-hyper-tx3-3-heat-pipe-cpu-cooler-s775-1155-1156-am2-2plus-am3-940-939-954
    This is a little more expensive and a harder to install.

There must be a reason to why it's overheating so if you have it in an enclosed space (i.e. a closed desk drawer) try moving it out to a more open area (i.e. placing on or under the desk)

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    If you just want it to work now, open the case like Overheal suggested and remove the dust with a compressed air can if you have one, or the cold setting on the hair dryer will work. Leave the case open so it doesn't keep the heat inside and try and move the case to somewhere that is more open if it's stuck in a corner or if it's inside a desk take it out.

For long term if you want to keep it cool do all that, but you can buy a case fan or two to help get better airflow through the case they are very cheap and easy to install.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/coolers-air/system-case-fans-120mm-upwards
    Or you can get a new CPU cooler which will keep the CPU cool.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/coolermaster-hyper-tx3-3-heat-pipe-cpu-cooler-s775-1155-1156-am2-2plus-am3-940-939-954
    This is a little more expensive and a harder to install.

There must be a reason to why it's overheating so if you have it in an enclosed space (i.e. a closed desk drawer) try moving it out to a more open area (i.e. placing on or under the desk)

great stuff thanks, it is indeed in a desk so kind of confined, Ive moved it out have case off, so fingers and toes crossed till the launch. Thanks so much for all the advice in
    your reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Well that's the problem so :)
    I used to have the pc sitting on the desk and it's normal temps were in around the 35's now it's sitting in a stupid desk, now even with the door open and the drawer above it removed it's around 45 degrees, with things closed it reaches for 55 degrees and higher and that's all at idle, when I put stress on the computer it shoots for the stars.

Needless to say I'm gonna take it out as soon as possible too, temps like that will cause your pc to die on you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

If you are going to buy more fans - make sure you get 12cm in diameter at least. Anything smaller will do your head in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭kravicecreama

Jake1 wrote: »
    it keeps overheating and going off about every ten mins, any ways I can cool it down? I was thinking maybe cold setting on hairdryer, would this help? I really just want it to work up until launch of Shuttle, then I dont care .

ANy help much appreciated.

Of course if you happen to be posting this question from within the Shuttle...think maybe Houstonwehaveaproblem(dot)com is a better forum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Had a similar issue before and put new arctic paste on the heatsink. Reduced the CPU temp from 85-90 degrees to the low 40's. Guides on YouTube.

Advertisement