Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steak Sandwich - No CHIPS???

Options
  • 08-07-2011 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭

Just went for lunch in Ranelagh and ordered a steak sandwich, it was not on the menu was one of their specials. It arrived and I waited patiently for chips to follow....I was left waiting. This steak sandwich does not come with chips! Was dying to try this place for ages but will not be going back. Had to search for steak in between a massive amount of bread. Left hungry :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

What restaurant was this? Did it come with a side salad or nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

the world is so unfair...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I wouldn't expect anything with it if nothing was stated on the menu, esp. if side orders are listed elsewhere which I expect they were.

I hate the fact in most chinese takeaways they force you into getting rice/chips/noodles with all main dishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If there were no chips was did you get a side salad?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What did it say on the menu? If it said it was served with a side dish & you didn't get one you should have complained there & then.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

And how much did that crap cost?
    By the by if it was a special more than likely the steak was past its best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Is that true for all restaurants?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭pencilsharp

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Is that true for all restaurants?:eek:

I don't think it is true. If they were caught doing that by health and safety they'd be closed down!

How much was the sandwich? If it was over 9euro or so I'd expect chips or a side of some kind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

What a load of crap, paranoia

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It all depends what was listed on the menu. I'd only expect chips when they are listed on the description.

If you were unhappy, you should have complained.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

What a load of crap, paranoia

Im sorry to tell ye but its a widespread practice, i have worked in many restaurants in the kitchen.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Im sorry to tell ye but its a widespread practice, i have worked in many restaurants in the kitchen.

By "past it's best" do you mean actually out of date?

I would have thought that the 'specials' were just a cheaper cut of meat tbh..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I regularly use up food in my fridge that is 'past its best'. There is nothing wrong with that. If a steak is so 'past its best' that it was likely to make you sick, then it would taste awful. It is most certainly not in a restaurant's interest to be poisoning people. In my experience, food that was 'past its best' was usually served to the staff with no ill effects.

Remember that the vast majority of food poisoning cases occur in the home.

I, too, call 'paranoid scaremongering'.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Back on-topic please. Thanks.

HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I don't think it is true. If they were caught doing that by health and safety they'd be closed down!

How much was the sandwich? If it was over 9euro or so I'd expect chips or a side of some kind!

Why do Irish people always mix this up, Health and Safety is when you fall off a ladder etc while food safety deals with food poisoning. Hear this all the time on the radio or read it on boards and other sites. Rant Over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭TommyTippee

I would have thought the bread would be enough starchy carbohydrates?

A little side salad would my ideal accomplice for a steak sandwich.

Rocket, cherry tomatoes, red onion and drizzled with balsamic vinegar and a good olive oil

Perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Pretty much everywhere I can think of states it when a side dish included.

If it was a burger I wouldn't assume it coems with chips. Especially in the more expensive places like Eddie Rockets, GBK etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Dublin Chick

Here is the story, I am a little less upset today about the whole thing :)

The Steak Sambo was not on the Menu, the waitress listed it along with the other specials. There was no salad. A little rocket and red onion on the toasted roll that it was served in. If there was Horseradish sauce as was mentioned by the waitress I certainly could not taste any. There was a minimal amount of meat in a massive roll. I mean three mouthfuls and it was gone.

To the person who mentioned that you need to order sides etc. in ER or McD I understand that but this was not that kind of place it was a proper restaurant.

The price was €8.50. I know that may seem cheap enough for lunch but if you compare to let's say Marios in Ranelagh where you can get a pretty decent lunch from €7.95 and leave very satisfied.

Bottom line €8.50 was not good value for what I recieved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Put it down to experience and take your business elsewhere.

If it was a cheese sandwich would you have expected chips?

Put it down to experience and take your business elsewhere.

If it was a cheese sandwich would you have expected chips?

No, would you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

The Steak Sambo was not on the Menu, the waitress listed it along with the other specials. There was no salad. A little rocket and red onion on the toasted roll that it was served in. If there was Horseradish sauce as was mentioned by the waitress I certainly could not taste any. There was a minimal amount of meat in a massive roll. I mean three mouthfuls and it was gone.

To the person who mentioned that you need to order sides etc. in ER or McD I understand that but this was not that kind of place it was a proper restaurant.

The price was €8.50. I know that may seem cheap enough for lunch but if you compare to let's say Marios in Ranelagh where you can get a pretty decent lunch from €7.95 and leave very satisfied.

did you complain?
    did you ask if it came with anything? A sandwich is a sandwich, that said I would have expected a little salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Well, if it never mentioned there would be chips, then I would not have expected there to be chips.

Were sides listed on the menu? as I said before.
    rubadub wrote: »
    I wouldn't expect anything with it if nothing was stated on the menu, esp. if side orders are listed elsewhere which I expect they were.
    If the waitress went as far as saying horseradish was on it I would have expected her to list any sides at that point.
    No, would you?
    What is so different about a cheese sandwich? veggetarians shouldn't expect to get sides?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Jesus lads, leave the girl alone. It's not unreasonable to expect to get a salad or chips with a sandwich that you're paying €8.50 for. Fine if it was a fiver, but at €8.50 it's horrifically overpriced not to have a side with it. Considering that a portion of chips costs a restaurant a few cents to serve, it wouldn't kill them to add it on.

I assume that all of you who're admonishing her have never been served something that was different from what you expected, then? You're all so savvy that you question everything about a dish when it's not written down on a menu? Fair enough if it was clearly written on the menu, but the waitress told her verbally. She could have forgotten to mention the chips, or thought it was obvious that they were included.

For those of you banging on about a cheese sandwich, that's completely different to a steak sandwich and you know it. A cheese sandwich is something you can get from your local Spar, a steak sandwich is a restaurant meal generally.

Dublin Chick, no, it wasn't good value for what you got. It's a shame you had such a disappointing experience, but at this stage, the best thing to do is just not go back there again.

Faith wrote: »
    You're all so savvy that you question everything about a dish when it's not written down on a menu?
    If I expect something and it is not listed I would ask, esp. if it was a side order like chips which I would expect to be €3-4 in a cafe. I wouldn't expect free water in any place either.

There have been threads in consumer issues with people in a cafe in dublin airport being asked to pay for milk with their coffee, and butter with their toast, which I don't find surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Dublin Chick, no, it wasn't good value for what you got. It's a shame you had such a disappointing experience, but at this stage, the best thing to do is just not go back there again.

No, the best thing is to learn from this and when you're disappointed in a restaurant or cafe, complain at the time not later on to people who can't do anything about it. Also I would never presume a Steak Sandwich would always come with chips so I'd ask first if that was important to me.

I would agree with not going back but you should also give the Restaurant/Cafe the opportunity to make things better in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I assume that all of you who're admonishing her have never been served something that was different from what you expected, then?
    The OP obviously assumed there was chips with it.
    When they they didn't come with it, it would of been one thing to say;
    "Jesus, no chips. €8.50 is a bit steep so"
    I can't really comment without knowing the place.

But the whole idea that you have to get chips, and this place are a disgrace is nonsense. For a upmarket place, its not that unusual.

Jesus lads, leave the girl alone. It's not unreasonable to expect to get a salad or chips with a sandwich that you're paying €8.50 for. Fine if it was a fiver, but at €8.50 it's horrifically overpriced not to have a side with it. Considering that a portion of chips costs a restaurant a few cents to serve, it wouldn't kill them to add it on.

I assume that all of you who're admonishing her have never been served something that was different from what you expected, then? You're all so savvy that you question everything about a dish when it's not written down on a menu? Fair enough if it was clearly written on the menu, but the waitress told her verbally. She could have forgotten to mention the chips, or thought it was obvious that they were included.

For those of you banging on about a cheese sandwich, that's completely different to a steak sandwich and you know it. A cheese sandwich is something you can get from your local Spar, a steak sandwich is a restaurant meal generally.

Thanks Faith, I was merely venting some disappointment is all! Some people are so serious :)

Mellor wrote: »
    The OP obviously assumed there was chips with it.
    When they they didn't come with it, it would of been one thing to say;
    "Jesus, no chips. €8.50 is a bit steep so"
    I can't really comment without knowing the place.

But the whole idea that you have to get chips, and this place are a disgrace is nonsense. For a upmarket place, its not that unusual.

Ok let's be honest here I never called the place a disgrace...

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Were sides listed on the menu? as I said before.

If the waitress went as far as saying horseradish was on it I would have expected her to list any sides at that point.

What is so different about a cheese sandwich? veggetarians shouldn't expect to get sides?

AGAIN it was not on the menu it was a special and the waitress verbally listed them.

Vegetarian is spelt with one g, I agree they deserve sides but more so they deserve to be spelt correctly.....have some respect man ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement