Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

REPEATING - SUBJECT CHOICES

• 08-07-2011 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

So, im planning on repeating in september and I want to take up 2 new subjects as I am dropping chemistry and irish. I've decided to take on geography but I cant decide on another subject that will be manageable in a year.

Im thinking along the lines of technology or something like that.

Can anyone offer some suggestions??

(PS: no 'why are u repeating?/ wait for your results' comments please)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

Why not just do 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

Biology is easy

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

Which subjects do you already do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for a subject that you could easily get a C in HL I'd say Engineering. There is a very, very high pass rate and it's not all that difficult. Geography's probably a good choice too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Economics. Short course. Well doable in a year and interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 casperkiid

Sunny!! wrote: »
    Economics. Short course. Well doable in a year and interesting.

Do you need to be good at maths though? I was thinking of taking economics or business but I really don't know..

casperkiid wrote: »
    Do you need to be good at maths though? I was thinking of taking economics or business but I really don't know..

divided into two micro and macro.

micro is the kind of maths and graph stuff.

But all you have to do is practice the graphs writing them out.

The maths is basic. Formulaes are in the log tables.

You wouldnt have to be a super hl maths student:D

Business rarely has maths in it. Income tax and abit of accounting working out ratios etc, very basic.

Id recommend economics more than business as the course is shorter. Macro is very easy, population, eu, etc. Stuff you hear everyday.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I wouldn't be doing geo, soooo much work involved! I'd be looking at the likes of construction, economics, phys-chem, technology and ag science. All have short courses very manageable in a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

If you're not already doing so,business business business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Do Business and Geography

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 sckool

I am currently studying Japanese and I find it very manageable, the L.C course is designed for complete beginners and is 100% doable in a year you should contact the Japanese embassy and they will give you a list a of schools and teachers that can teach you.
    Once you have learned the hiranga and katana chart, it is like learning any other language. L.C Japanese would be a bit harder then J.C French/ German.

Hope this has helped:D

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭younggalway

ChloeElla wrote: »
    Which subjects do you already do?

sorry i should have said, my main six are english, irish, french, business, biology & chemistry. im only in pass maths so obviously i wont be doing it again

Ive already decided to do geography, but i cant think of another that id find interesting. I tried economics for a few months in 4th year but i didnt really like it (but then again it was a morning class and to be honest i didnt really give it a go)

Japanese sounds interesting and i really love languages, but im looking for all high b's this time around. Has anyone else done japanese that can offer some input??? thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

If you have any interest in philosophy, mythology, ancient societies and primal religion, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, other world religions, moral theories, rituals, festivals, meaning of life, atheism and agnosticism etc. etc. I'd recommend you do religion. Not many fail and if you put the work in you can do well. It's very interesting imo. I love it and I'm not the slightest bit religious at all.
    Geography is a great choice btw. Best subject out there.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

There is no maths in LC economics that a 7 year old couldn't do

thanks for all the suggestions, im considering either economics/religion or technology at this stage.

I think economics would be alright but im afraid i'll get bored easily and lose interest. Religion sounds alright although im an atheist, but if i can do well i dont care. As for technology, i looked at a few papers and it looked alright but a friend told me she found it really hard this year and shes done it for 3 years (repeating this year)

Any more suggestions??? anyone ever done classical studies that can tell me what its about??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

i think religion is not easy even for JC it was boring and you don't need it for anything besides maybe if you want to do theology in college
    i will tell you to do either economics or maybe try Japanese or other non-curricular language but i think Japanese is very hard to learn but i never learned it... my father was doing laboratory testes in japan and he spend there about 4 years and he said that he couldn't learn the language after 4 years he can only say simple sentences like how are you, hello, nice to meet you etc. but i don't know it might be easier for LC...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Geography, agricultural science, accounting (could be slightly challenging in one year, but once you get it, it's almost a guaranteed A)

Don't do classical studies- I did it and while it's interesting, it's a bitch to do well in

Also, religion is supposed to be very difficult for leaving cert too. I also wouldn't take up another language this late in the game.

oh yes i forgot accounting ;D
    I'm doing it myself and it is very easy to get an A in because it do not require study, well a bit for the theory part but it is not even 10% of what you have to do in business, home ec etc. than if you like maths and if you do business and have done it for JC you should be fine in acc as you have the basics ;) it is hard do the accounts by yourself without having previously explained the thing, but if you have an accounting class in your school you may join them ;) or if you don't either find a teacher outside of school or ask your business teacher for help
    to get an A1 in accounting the key is to practice all over the same questions

yeah, all thing considered it probably isnt a great idea to try learn a language in a few months, in regards accounting i hated it in JC and i doubt much has changed since.

I think just need to decide between Ag science or economics, i tried both as an extra subject but as i said before i gave neither a decent go. I think economics is looking must likely as i dont want to be spending ages doing the projects for Ag.

Has anyone got on well in economics that done it in a year???

my teacher said that her daughter did economics on her own only for a year and she got an A1, so is possible :D

• Advertisement

yeah, all thing considered it probably isnt a great idea to try learn a language in a few months, in regards accounting i hated it in JC and i doubt much has changed since.

I think just need to decide between Ag science or economics, i tried both as an extra subject but as i said before i gave neither a decent go. I think economics is looking must likely as i dont want to be spending ages doing the projects for Ag.

Has anyone got on well in economics that done it in a year???

You could get the project done in a month. If you just put your head down and got it done, it could be very easily completed. I had mine fully together in around a week. And I only had collected some photos and did a small bit of research before that.

how can you do the project in a month ? is it not like that you are suppose to go on the farm every day ?

angela1711 wrote: »
    how can you do the project in a month ? is it not like that you are suppose to go on the farm every day ?

Not every day. And I meant I collected information every now and again and then I sat down and got it done.

Ok, but i think if someone doesn't mind farming and all that stuff wouldn't enjoy ag.sci. at all... like my friend is doing it because there were no more place in biology class and she hates it because she isn't bothered by how to cut a pig or what to do with cow etc

Ok, but i think if someone doesn't mind farming and all that stuff wouldn't enjoy ag.sci. at all... like my friend is doing it because there were no more place in biology class and she hates it because she isn't bothered by how to cut a pig or what to do with cow etc

I have no interest in farming either. But I found it to be a great subject with a lot of cross over with biology. And I was more able for the genetics in biology because of the genetics we covered in ag. For a repeat student I think it's a great subject because it's very rewarding in that the work you put in really comes across in your results.
    But that's just me.

i think economics its very interesting.

Accounting too if your willing to keep doing questions over and over again until you perfect them:)

well sunny we meet again on the other thread :D
    accounting is not as much interesting as less effort taking

well sunny we meet again on the other thread :D
    accounting is not as much interesting as less effort taking

true:D

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DM360

Construction Studies is an easy subject to do in a year.

The project and portfolio along with a practical exam in early May account for 50%. They're easy enough to get marks in and can be gotten out of the way before June.

The exam itself is very predictable and manageable. Although the range of topics are broad, they often overlap and intertwine. There's a huge choice aswell:
    • 10 Questions,
    • Question 1 is a mandatory (these drawings are easy with a set square and a t-square)
    • Then you have to do 4 from 9, a huge range. Some are drawings, some have further choice - a and b parts, one is a 'maths' question but it's insanely easy and requires nothing more than adding and multiplying

I studied it as a night class in my school for the past two years, a 3 hour class each week, balancing practical and theory. I found it a very easy-going and interesting subject and am hoping for an A1, I recommend at least taking a look into it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭LimerickLad92

Economics/Geography, I repeated this year and I took both those up, reckon I got an A1 in Eco and an A2 in geo aswell.

Advertisement