Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank Duffy 10m - 20/08/2011

Options
  • 08-07-2011 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭

New route this year:
    http://dublinmarathon.ie/map+instructions11_10mile.pdf

No Kyber pass...
    Miles 1-3 and 6-9 are almost completely flat or downhill.
    Means they will be keeping the park closed for a long time as they use the main avenue many times over course of the race.

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 88 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    50%
    Krusty_ClownhappygoosePhibsboroirlirishkevcopaceticmisty floydstrifeDogSlySmileMcCalvinWoddlejustfortherecorstrokesloverPeckhamantomagoopistol_75coalshedmacinalliDonny5nutts_77az2wp0sye65487 44 votes
    3 stars (average)
    44%
    opusJk_Eirect_roydaymobrewDilbert75InquitusDigiJemShane O' MalleyBuckTiptoeMushroomdowlinjJohnnio13louthandproudTec DiverMr MarenghihawkwingTheRoadRunnerCCRliamogultraman1 39 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    5%
    ergonomicschinguettiSnappyDresserGipo3swervring 5 votes
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

3 stars (average)
    Means they will be keeping the park closed for a long time as they use the main avenue many times over course of the race.

Unless they're sending us along the footpath in the sixth mile?

Very flat course though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The S bends and wellington Rd will catch a few but definite PB course.

Not too different to last year which i met. Last time i ran it it was 2 loops of miltary hill; etc!!!

After half way you can totally attack the course!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

RayCun wrote: »
    Unless they're sending us along the footpath in the sixth mile?

Very flat course though.

That would make sense, road closures from Aras to lamps cross.

3 stars (average)
    Oh, and the instructions give the wave times
    Wave 1 – Runners who wish to run sub 85 minutes
    Wave 2 – Runners who wish to run between 85 and 105 mins
    Wave 3 – Runners who wish to run 105 minutes plus

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Caprica

4 stars (good)
    Thats a pretty fair course, it's very PB friendly. There will be a bit of a drag up Acres road to the finish but before that you will have 4 miles flat/downhill miles. Glad they are going with the wave starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

3 stars (average)
    B!tch of a hill there coming up to acres road. The last mile will be painful. Preferred last years course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

B!tch of a hill there coming up to acres road. The last mile will be painful. Preferred last years course.

Yes, it is not an easy course like people are saying IMO. Just because we don't go up the Kyber doesn't make it easy. on the first lap we have to take the same rise up the wellington Rd (quite steep here) and it's a gradual drag up the chesterfield av to the monument. On the second lap the part from the hospital up to the Acres rd is probably the sharpest hill in the whole park (though admittedly short).- Give me the Kyber over this any day.

That said, I'll be racing this and hoping for a PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

4 stars (good)
    In fairness to the organisers, this is a good route. You won't get a flat 10 mile run in the park.:rolleyes:

With some 6,300 entrants in the 5 mile race, presume there will be more in the 10 and half marathon (going by last yrs entry), how long can it be before they have to take this race series out of the park and onto the streets of Dublin?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

2 stars (poor)
    Agree that its a tough course and from 4 to the Aras roundabout is a long drag of a hill. Loved last years course and set a pb.

As for taking it outside the Park, they could use the the Park side of the road from Chapelizod gate to Islandbridge gate as the start point so at least a mile at the start would be on a straight enough road and thin the crowd before they go up the Kyber/Chesterfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Because I'm not doing it this year, they should take it up Knockmaroon Hill :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Because I'm not doing it this year, they should take it up Knockmaroon Hill :pac:

:D you are way too funny :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

4 stars (good)
    Looks a decent route to me. The first 4 miles are almost identical to the route that the Irish Runner 5 mile race took at the weekend.

Looking forward to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

after missing the 5, so this will be a bigger deal for me. looks to be a flatter course and should really help me on the way to beating last years time. though that shouldnt be hard in fairness!

i dont think ive run up Wellington or acres rd before? are they tough? Id assume acres isnt from my (limited) memory of the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

3 stars (average)
    Looks like a good course, not flat though. Wonder if the wave start will be as "interesting" as the 5 mile? ;)
    On the second lap, at least the crowd should have spread out a bit and not be too bunched up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I wondering if my chip didn't work on sat should i request a new one just in case :confused:

3 stars (average)
    I wondering if my chip didn't work on sat should i request a new one just in case :confused:

AFAIK there's no connection between your 5 mile chip and 10 mile chip

3 stars (average)
    AFAIK there's no connection between your 5 mile chip and 10 mile chip

Same chips same company. Why wouldnt they be flawed next time out?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

He means that if your 5 mile chip didn't work, it doesn't make it more likely that your 10 mile chip won't work

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

3 stars (average)

But why would his chips be flawed? If 10% of the chips are dodgy, is there any reason to suppose he has more than a 10% chance of getting a dodgy chip for the 10 mile?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

chinguetti wrote: »
    Agree that its a tough course and from 4 to the Aras roundabout is a long drag of a hill. Loved last years course and set a pb.

As for taking it outside the Park, they could use the the Park side of the road from Chapelizod gate to Islandbridge gate as the start point so at least a mile at the start would be on a straight enough road and thin the crowd before they go up the Kyber/Chesterfield.

Gates are very narrow though, that would cause a massive bottle neck trying to get into the park via the Islandbridge gate, they could bring it all the way around to the NCR gate though.

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    But why would his chips be flawed? If 10% of the chips are dodgy, is there any reason to suppose he has more than a 10% chance of getting a dodgy chip for the 10 mile?

Chances are there was a bad batch and he would have got 3 of those most likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ForrestGimp

The 5 mile on Sat was my first ever race. A couple of us signed up to do it pretty much at the last minute (before the entry closed). I had about 3 weeks training and finished in 38:18. I was aiming for 5 minute KMs but i got a bit carried away on the day ;) Still i thought that was a decent time for my first ever race! Now that i have a bit more time before the 10 mile race i was wondering what kind of time should i be aiming for? Would 5 minute KMs be average for a 10 mile race or should i be aiming for much faster? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

depends more on you than anythinig. Im aiming for 6 min KMs. 5 min KMs isnt exactly slow. Just be careful your not killing yourself doing that.

3 stars (average)
    Double your time and add 10%? Or take a look at the McMillan calculator, it says 80.27

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

The 5 mile on Sat was my first ever race. A couple of us signed up to do it pretty much at the last minute (before the entry closed). I had about 3 weeks training and finished in 38:18. I was aiming for 5 minute KMs but i got a bit carried away on the day ;) Still i thought that was a decent time for my first ever race! Now that i have a bit more time before the 10 mile race i was wondering what kind of time should i be aiming for? Would 5 minute KMs be average for a 10 mile race or should i be aiming for much faster? :eek:

To give you an idea: http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

Based on your 5 mile time this suggests you should target 5 min/km so good estimate on your part. This assumes appropriate training for it.

Good run by the way - well done.

[Jeez - Ray got there before me - he's almost as fast on the boards as he is on the roads]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ForrestGimp

Ok so, that makes sense. I have a target to go for now. Thanks.

On another note, in the discussion on the 5 miler there was a lot of talk about using gels and not using gels, that 5 miles was too short to use gels. Im gathering the 10 mile race is a different
    animal and gels and all that malarkey would be beneficial at some point during the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

4 stars (good)
    Double your time and add 10%? Or take a look at the McMillan calculator, it says 80.27

I dunno... According to that - based on my 5 mile time at the weekend it says I should be doing a 3.30 marathon... :confused:

I'm aiming to do this years DCM in 3.45 - after completing last year's in 4.09...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I dunno... According to that - based on my 5 mile time at the weekend it says i should be doing a 3.30 marathon... :confused:

Most people find it pretty accurate up to Half Marathon Distance.
    For marathons, you really need to have been putting in serious mileage over many years for the McMillan calculator to be accurate (IMO).

3 stars (average)
    I dunno... According to that - based on my 5 mile time at the weekend it says I should be doing a 3.30 marathon... :confused:

It does assume that you've done the training for each event. And obviously the closer the distances are, the better the comparison will be. 5 mile -> 10 mile will give you a better prediction than 5 mile -> 26.2 miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

I dunno... According to that - based on my 5 mile time at the weekend it says i should be doing a 3.30 marathon... :confused:

Clearly it is absurd to use it to simply extrapolate from a 5 mile time to a marathon time. Read what the site says about using it.

I find it especially useful to help with training paces for my targets.

It is also a good guide to see where you are on your training curve for a marathon if you include a few races in your plan - especially if you run a 10 miler or half marathon 5 or 6 weeks before race day.

Advertisement