Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank Duffy 10m - 20/08/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Caprica

4 stars (good)
    Got home in 65:25, didn't have it in the legs today. Found the stretch on the paths tough and started to struggle from then on. Very well organised race, good turnout, good atmosphere, plenty of junk food in the goody bag. I think it's a very fair course, has definite PB potential which isn't easy in the park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

4 stars (good)
    My time isnt in the results! :mad:

According to my garmin I did it in 64:33 (so I beat my goal time :D), but theres no sign of my time on the results page!!:(

Anyone else had this problem????

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Burgman

RayCun wrote: »
    only problem I noticed was the mile 8 marker being a few hundred metres too early.

I suspect that you just went faster for that mile. My splits didn't suggest any discrepancy.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

4 stars (good)
    Burgman wrote: »
    I suspect that you just went faster for that mile. My splits didn't suggest any discrepancy.

Or got it mixed up with the 2 mile marker, which was a few hundred metres before the 8 mile one?

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

4 stars (good)
    Great race fair play to the organisers very little to find fault with, a bit of traffic going in/out of the nursing home just after mile 9 that had to be avoided but nothing too problematic.

Anyone else spot the Clownbox running against the flow of runners between mile 8 and 9 at the front end of things - on a training run running up the middle of the road past the Cheshire Home? The chap is a regular on boards here. Of all the hours in the day, roads in the park, and parks in Dublin he chose to salmon his way up against the flow of runners in the race.

Absolute Clown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Well done all. Particularly to Pronator and Abhainn who are well up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ButchMG

Finished 70:43 (although website has same chip as finishing at 71:01). A little disappointed as was hoping to break 69:00 which I just missed out on last year. Wasn't in the legs for me in the second half which I can't explain, as I was flying in the first. Anyway, once again, a superb day, great organisation, great support and super weather. We're so lucky to have the Phoenix Park at our doorstep (well, my doorstep at least). Looking forward to making amends in the HM next month.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

3 stars (average)
    Mrs Dilbert finished in a very impressive 1:21:10 - 5 mins faster than last year & 37th in her category - but found some of the same problems with congestion on the narrower paths and at the water stations.

Plus coming away from one water station a nice lady just in front decided to fling away a half-full cup of water and soaked Mrs. D quite comprehensively (if you're reading this - thanks a heap:().

Also she picked up a XS t-shirt but it seems the length was the only thing XS about it - it'd fit Pat-the-Bull width-wise. But sure you don't do these things for the t-shirt. Decent enough day by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

Here's a few pics I took today. iPhone quality so don't expect too much!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66600017@N07/sets/72157627353260437/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

4 stars (good)
    Congrats to the organisers on a great event. Really enjoyed this one. My race report is here (if anyone is interested).

Nice to meet some of the Boards-ies out (both runners and non-runners). Congrats to everyone on the day. Seems like loads of us had a good run today. (new PB for me - whoot!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

2 stars (poor)
    Started in the middle of wave 1 and it was a bit of a joke due to the amount of people who were clearly in the wrong wave, including the person who asked 'how far do we have to run?' I kid you not.

Anyway, i hadn't run all week after the Lakelands 15 due to work and tired legs so wasn't really bothered about today if truth be told. Did the first mile in 8.16 due to the crowds to weave through, around and over. At 3 miles or so, my left hamstring was beginning to tighten up so decided not to go overboard for the rest of the run.

Passed the halfway mark in 38 and change, still passing runners and had a chat with Woddle around 6 miles. Nothing much else for the rest of the race apart from meeting Digger 200 yards from the finish and as he burned Mr Slow the last day, i decided to not give him the chance for bragging rights and ran to the line to cross 1.14.45 which was grand.

Lovely day for it, some cracking times by some folks on here and well done to all who completed. Didn't like the course or the purple tshirt and i still think that headphones should be banned in the series but i'm in a minority here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

4 stars (good)
    chinguetti wrote: »
    Lovely day for it, some cracking times by some folks on here and well done to all who completed. Didn't like the course or the purple tshirt and i still think that headphones should be banned in the series but i'm in a minority here.

I totally agree. Practically everyone around me at the start were wearing headphones, and I had to physically hold peoples elbows when passing them so they knew I was there and didn't elbow me in the head ( I'm a bit on the small side...):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

3 stars (average)
    Started in the middle of wave 1 and it was a bit of a joke due to the amount of people who were clearly in the wrong wave, including the person who asked 'how far do we have to run?' I kid you not.

Anyway, i hadn't run all week after the Lakelands 15 due to work and tired legs so wasn't really bothered about today if truth be told. Did the first mile in 8.16 due to the crowds to weave through, around and over. At 3 miles or so, my left hamstring was beginning to tighten up so decided not to go overboard for the rest of the run.

Passed the halfway mark in 38 and change, still passing runners and had a chat with Woddle around 6 miles. Nothing much else for the rest of the race apart from meeting Digger 200 yards from the finish and as he burned Mr Slow the last day, i decided to not give him the chance for bragging rights and ran to the line to cross 1.14.45 which was grand.

Heard someone mention about headphones being banned in some races but for the life of me i cant figure out why.

Is there actually a reason. (I for one prefer my "Go Faster" music than the sound of coughing and heavy breathing around me) Also the hundreds of Garmins going bleep bleep bleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

4 stars (good)
    tunguska wrote: »
    Standard definitely higher this year. Last year my time would've gotten me 27th place, this year 40th!!

I see your training buddy ran nearly 3 minutes quicker than last year, both of yous must be well chuffed with how things are looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

4 stars (good)
    Heard someone mention about headphones being banned in some races but for the life of me i cant figure out why.

Is there actually a reason. (I for one prefer my "Go Faster" music than the sound of coughing and heavy breathing around me) Also the hundreds of Garmins going bleep bleep bleep.
    Awareness of whats going on around you. If you can't hear someone coming up behind you and you step across their path its not fair on the faster running. Safety is another issue, steward instructions, etc.
    In a race you should be aware of whats happening around by using both sight and hearing.
    Twice today I had to check my stride because someone with a mypod stepped on front of me, because they did'nt hear me moving to pass them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

3 stars (average)
    gerard65 wrote: »
    Awareness of whats going on around you. If you can't hear someone coming up behind you and you step across their path its not fair on the faster running. Safety is another issue, steward instructions, etc.
    In a race you should be aware of whats happening around by using both sight and hearing.
    Twice today I had to check my stride because someone with a mypod stepped on front of me, because they did'nt hear me moving to pass them.

I am mainly a cyclist, though I had a great time training for this run, and will do many more for sure in future, but music is banned on group rides when it comes cycling for the reasons you mention, and going by my experiences today it also should be banned for running, it's just unsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 spanx

3 stars (average)
    Enough about the headphones, please. Some of you are assuming that everyone with headphones has music blasting out, masking all other sounds.
    Some people probably do, but they're the same people who start in the wrong wave, clip people's heals and clog up water stations. The headphones aren't the problem, that person who elbowed you in the face probably would have done it anyway.

Anyway, I beat my predicted 76 with 73:13 (listening to Kermode and Mayo's summer replacements)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

4 stars (good)
    Here's a few pics I took today. iPhone quality so don't expect too much!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66600017@N07/sets/72157627353260437/

Good man - I see myself on http://www.flickr.com/photos/66600017@N07/6062749590/in/set-72157627353260437/ looking as usual as if I'm having a heart attack (blue singlet just left of centre). Actually spent a lot of today behind that yellow jersey and black lycra shorts!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DixNeuf

3 stars (average)
    My time isnt in the results! :mad:

According to my garmin I did it in 64:33 (so I beat my goal time :D), but theres no sign of my time on the results page!!:(

Anyone else had this problem????

Same for me. No sign of result at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

2 stars (poor)
    spanx wrote: »
    Enough about the headphones, please. Some of you are assuming that everyone with headphones has music blasting out, masking all other sounds.
    Some people probably do, but they're the same people who start in the wrong wave, clip people's heals and clog up water stations. The headphones aren't the problem, that person who elbowed you in the face probably would have done it anyway.

Anyway, I beat my predicted 76 with 73:13 (listening to Kermode and Mayo's summer replacements)

We'll have to agree to disagree on this but if you can't hear what coming behind you, you run the high risk of causing an accident. If i am behind you and decide to pass you on your right and you suddenly decide at that point to go right, you may trip me up. I may fall, cause more people to fall and injure myself and others. We then have an incident. Twice i had to jump out of the way of people who couldn't hear me today as they wandering across my path.

Now I know we are dealing in 'ifs' and 'buts' and I know there are race waviers but i doubt that they are worth much in a court of law. The day will come (it has in GAA, Rubgy, Soccer already) that incidents related to injuries in a sport enter a court and all hell breaks loose.

Anyway, enough about that. Well done on your time and beating your prediction. Was it a pb?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

i had headphones in but i wasnt listening to music. I use it for the nike gps app on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

3 stars (average)
    RQ|75:01|
    EJ|89:59|
    WHIP IT!|85:00|
    folan|95:00|
    RayCun|74|
    Steviecakes|79:59|
    smileyc86|73.00|
    outforarun|74:59|
    metamorphosis|65:00|
    macinalli|68:00|
    Buck|100:00|
    menoscemo|67:50|
    Jet Black|100:00|
    rovers_runner|89:59|84:13
    belcarra|Sub 78|77:13 (TBC by chip...)
    Pistol|80:00|
    Krusty_Clown|59:30|
    7mile|62.59.|
    PDCAT|79.59|
    ILikeBananas|84:59|
    Tec Diver|79:58|
    Couedelion|89:59|
    jester1980|84:59|
    pconn062|75:59|
    paulb79|74:59|
    Vagga|77:30|
    Catseye2|76:30|
    liamog|84:59|
    brownian|59:59|
    antomagoo|77:00|
    Jk_Eire|79:59|
    Spanx|76:00|
    pulpo|67:00|
    TheT|89:59|
    Inquitus|84:30|75:27
    NeedsTraining|64:16|
    Marthastew|74.59|
    Caprica|61:29|
    PaulieYifter|74:00|
    cwgatling|63:59|
    Potsy|72.00|
    run44|94:00|
    opus|< 64:00|
    Lex Luther|63.59|
    Mike D|89.45|88:09
    28064212|89.59|
    WB Yeats|79.59|
    RoverHogan|66:00|
    Corny|82.42|
    PDiddyW|79.45|
    devotional1993|56.00|
    Peckham|67:30|
    DogSlySmile|64:59|
    Tunguska|55:30|
    L&P|66:00:00| 68:00
    razor12345|00:94:59|
    funrunner95|82:00|
    12weeks12miles|00:99.59| 00:98:01 smile.gif !! first timer smile.gif
    AdrianII|85:00| 79.04
    ButchMG|68:30|
    James Howlett|74:00|
    Younganne|98.00|92:12biggrin.gif
    theboyblunder|59:59|
    i008787|79:59|
    DublinDilbert|78:00|
    cr17|79:59|79:17

• Registered Users Posts: 48 spanx

3 stars (average)
    We'll have to agree to disagree.
    Anyway, enough about that. Well done on your time and beating your prediction. Was it a pb?

Agreed.
    Cheers, it was a PB, second ever race too. Looking forward to the half now.

Must figure out the best place to start for the half, I'm sure I could shave it down a bit if I had a clearer field when I cross the start line (like everyone else I guess).

Great day though, even if I'm never going to wear that purple shirt :)
    (Also, my galaxy bar had melted and escaped its packaging, causing some brownage of the contents of the goody bag).

Honestly though, great day, weather, atmosphere etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

My 1st ever 10 mile race @ about 79 minutes (chip time still a bit off) - way better than I expected based on my 5 mile @ 41:26.

After checking later, I ran both at the avg. HR 170 so roughly same effort but 13 sec less per km today - I'm very happy with my result and the improvement.

Looking forward to half marathon!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dernipper

Predicted 86 min did it in a comfortable 81, a bit off my PB of 74 but better than I thought I would do given where I am at training wise. Similiar to most on here,,,, started middle of wave 1 and it was a joke but short of using a cattle prod (joke) not sure what the organisers can do. First mile a nightmare but after that pretty OK. Mile 5 - 6 was a shocker, really did not enjoy it trying to maintain a pace weaving out between the path and the verge, after that it was fine, cruised up the hill at the end which was great to feel that hill training starting to kick in and overall had a great day,, thank you to the organisers, thought it was a great route, great atmosphere and well organised,,, looking forward to the half marathon and a right crack off at a PB !!

meijin wrote: »
    My 1st ever 10 mile race @ about 79 minutes (chip time still a bit off) - way better than I expected based on my 5 mile @ 41:26.

After checking later, I ran both at the avg. HR 170 so roughly same effort but 13 sec less per km today - I'm very happy with my result and the improvement.

Looking forward to half marathon!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭7mile

4 stars (good)
    RQ|75:01|
    EJ|89:59|
    WHIP IT!|85:00|
    folan|95:00|
    RayCun|74|
    Steviecakes|79:59|
    smileyc86|73.00|
    outforarun|74:59|
    metamorphosis|65:00|
    macinalli|68:00|
    Buck|100:00|
    menoscemo|67:50|
    Jet Black|100:00|
    rovers_runner|89:59|84:13
    belcarra|Sub 78|77:13 (TBC by chip...)
    Pistol|80:00|
    Krusty_Clown|59:30|
    7mile|62.59.|62.25
    PDCAT|79.59|
    ILikeBananas|84:59|
    Tec Diver|79:58|
    Couedelion|89:59|
    jester1980|84:59|
    pconn062|75:59|
    paulb79|74:59|
    Vagga|77:30|
    Catseye2|76:30|
    liamog|84:59|
    brownian|59:59|
    antomagoo|77:00|
    Jk_Eire|79:59|
    Spanx|76:00|
    pulpo|67:00|
    TheT|89:59|
    Inquitus|84:30|75:27
    NeedsTraining|64:16|
    Marthastew|74.59|
    Caprica|61:29|
    PaulieYifter|74:00|
    cwgatling|63:59|
    Potsy|72.00|
    run44|94:00|
    opus|< 64:00|
    Lex Luther|63.59|
    Mike D|89.45|88:09
    28064212|89.59|
    WB Yeats|79.59|
    RoverHogan|66:00|
    Corny|82.42|
    PDiddyW|79.45|
    devotional1993|56.00|
    Peckham|67:30|
    DogSlySmile|64:59|
    Tunguska|55:30|
    L&P|66:00:00| 68:00
    razor12345|00:94:59|
    funrunner95|82:00|
    12weeks12miles|00:99.59| 00:98:01 smile.gif !! first timer smile.gif
    AdrianII|85:00| 79.04
    ButchMG|68:30|
    James Howlett|74:00|
    Younganne|98.00|92:12biggrin.gif
    theboyblunder|59:59|
    i008787|79:59|
    DublinDilbert|78:00|
    cr17|79:59|79:17

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Didnt run this race today but a mate of mine did and lost 45 secs in the first mile. People are way to quick to give these races 5 stars. People starting in the wrong wave is a major issue. Maybe as someone has already said use the system that the womns mini marathon uses and assign people waves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

3 stars (average)
    liamo123 wrote: »
    1.01.51.... well pleased considering mile 1 was nightmarish :eek:.... Just couldnt get past the slower runners and first .5 mile was pedestrian... Speeded up a bit but passed mile 1 in 6.29 so damage was done....
    Similar story here - mile 1 was 7:17 while the rest were about 6:45, with 6:16 for 9th mile. Finished in 66:58 by my watch (but 67:02 chip time).

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dernipper

Mile 1 - 9:22 mins
    Mile 10 - 7:30 mins

I am an easy going mild mannered person but really had to bite my tongue when I saw some of the people I passed or I tried to pass in wave 1 in the first mile,,,, crazy stuff,,,
    daymobrew wrote: »
    Similar story here - mile 1 was 7:17 while the rest were about 6:45, with 6:16 for 9th mile. Finished in 66:58 by my watch (but 67:02 chip time).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Didnt run this race today but a mate of mine did and lost 45 secs in the first mile. People are way to quick to give these races 5 stars. People starting in the wrong wave is a major issue. Maybe as someone has already said use the system that the womns mini marathon uses and assign people waves.

Was not able to run today but went along to support. Great atmosphere. To be fair to ANY race organisers , there is sod all they can do to prevent people going into the wrong Zone. Any biggish race that I have ever done, the first half mile/sometimes mile is usually slower because of congestion . There is no way to avoid it . Even if the roads are wider there will still be blockages . The admin involved in having to produce a cert to get into a 'top zone' would be far to time consuming for the organisers.

Advertisement