Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank Duffy 10m - 20/08/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ILikeBananas

3 stars (average)
    W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Sky plus/ UPC..... don't turn the radio on and get home quickly

Perhaps he should listen to an iPod during the race just in case someone blurts out.......oh wait no :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

3 stars (average)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    You know this works well in DCM Ray. There is no way they let you in the sub 3.30 pen if you do not have the sub 3.30 colour. Can't see why it is not worth a try in the race series too.

Thinking some more about this... one big difference between DCM and the race series races is that in DCM, when you leave Merrion Square, the first wave you get to is 4.15+. To get to the first wave you have to walk past all the people joining the pink (?) wave, and all the people joining the green wave, to join the smaller crowd in orange. It requires a conscious decision, you're not just leppin' in first chance you get. It means the crowds at the entrance to that first wave are thinner, so it is relatively easy for stewards to spot people with the wrong number. And it means people arriving late will join in the last wave rather than the first.

So that's my suggestion for the half marathon (which the committee have loads of time to implement :D). Keep the start line in the same place, but run the route backwards, so when you come from the baggage drop you are joining the back of the start pen, not the front.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

4 stars (good)
    W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Sky plus/ UPC..... don't turn the radio on and get home quickly

Was considering that, phone off too, don't use baggage drop and don't speak to anyone afterward, but would expect plenty of people to be looking for result straight away so would be bound to overhear in chute? Can't believe I didn't spot this until now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    So that's my suggestion for the half marathon (which the committee have loads of time to implement :D). Keep the start line in the same place, but run the route backwards, so when you come from the baggage drop you are joining the back of the start pen, not the front.

Things weren'tr as bad in the half last year. I think the presesence of pacers actually help with making sure people line up in the correct spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

copacetic wrote: »
    Was considering that, phone off too, don't use baggage drop and don't speak to anyone afterward, but would expect plenty of people to be looking for result straight away so would be bound to overhear in chute? Can't believe I didn't spot this until now!

I'm sure the result will be said over the loud speaker at some stage too.... there's no way out of it!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

4 stars (good)
    I'm sure the result will be said over the loud speaker at some stage too.... there's no way out of it!

Didn't think of that, he is bound to be yammering on about it non stop, especially if anyone in an Ireland jersey wanders by!! I guess it'll be either give the race a miss or go all out and wear a radio! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

3 stars (average)
    Quite enjoyed the race on Sat although did have problems with the start, let's just say my slowest mile was the first one :) Bumped into Liamo123 on the course, he eased past me later on & although I'd have loved to have gone with him, didn't have the energy in me. No complaints about the organisation, all went smoothly I thought.

Bumped into Meno afterwards & then a very relaxed looking Krusty Clown when I was walking what seemed like the endless distance back to my car. All in all a very enjoyable day.

3 stars (average)
    Things weren'tr as bad in the half last year. I think the presesence of pacers actually help with making sure people line up in the correct spot.

You weren't in the first wave last year :)
    But you're right, I think the pacers help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

They let me in the sub 4.15 pen last year with a 4.15+ colour :) - I didn't see any enforcement at all.

Well... I initially registered for 4.15+ (after I managed to run 5k); after 10 miles @ 79 min I should be probably looking for something below 4.15 time, but I will know closer to the DCM, so should I contact organizers to change my wave?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

oedipod wrote: »

Have to say the biggest shock today is that onlookers were shouting for club members as they went past, or people they knew, rather than just encouragement for randomers. It seems as soon as people are put in a competitive environment they lose the sense of what it's all about.

O.

What a load off Bollox! I was clapping for people I knew, if you ran the race properly you wouldn't give a crap who was clapping. Get over yourself gob ****!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

3 stars (average)
    heffsarmy wrote: »
    What a load off Bollox! I was clapping for people I knew, if you ran the race properly you wouldn't give a crap who was clapping. Get over yourself gob ****!

I got a few people cheering me on, I'd hear them cheer their mate and shout back "what about the rest of us" that usually got people going.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dernipper

Not sure if it was just a once off 'follow the herd moment" or ongoing during the race but anyone else see the people cheating and cutting the corner at mile 5-6 before the turn onto the path?

Why would you do this? Sad, sad people and a far bigger crime in my book then being in the wrong wave

You weren't in the first wave last year :)
    But you're right, I think the pacers help.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

3 stars (average)
    Well I didn't have anyone cheering me on, didn't bother me.
    Overall it was a lot better of an experience than the race last month. The queues for the portaloos were a bit long though and I only got done with 5 mins to go. I had decided to keep the pace easy for the first couple of km so the crowds didn't make much difference there. Glad to see the water stations, but I'd prefer small bottles than cups! Took a gel at about 9k or so and for the last 600m I gave it all I had. Originally I had said I'd do it sub-80mins, but the day before I changed that (in my head) to sub 85mins. So I was shooting for a sub-85 pace the whole way. I ended up with 1:21:23 on the garmin and am delighted with that! Overall pace was about 5:05min/k. Had to go straight home for my son's 5th birthday party.
    On the results website it says that my chip time and finish time are identical, which was the same issue for last month's race, which I'm a bit peeved about. I emailed them about it last night. I'm hoping to get a HM PB next month, so I'd like the finish time to be net time, not gun time.
    Congrats to all and a big thanks to the volunteers!

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭swervring

2 stars (poor)
    ergonomics wrote: »
    I really enjoyed this race but found it really hard from mile 5 onwards.

I ran it in 2.08 so the majority of runners finished before me. From mile 5 we were running perpendicular to the race finish and everyone who had finished, as well as their families and supporters, were just walking along the route without a care in the World. It became really tough as I had to keep dodging around them. I felt like they couldn't care less that we still had a half a race to go because they were finished. I can only imagine the stick I would get if I started walking along the middle of the route in their way before they finished the run.

I nearly went the wrong way at one point because I came to a roundabout and the stewards were too busy talking to their friends who had finished. There were so many people walking on the route that I couldn't tell where the people who were still running were going. The only thing that kept me on the right route was another runner spotted me going off the wrong way and called me.

Also, after an hour and a half all the mile markers were taken down so for the last 4 mile or so there were no markers for us so we didn't know how far we had gone or how far we had left.

I really felt like after the first hour or so everyone forgot about those of us who were still trying to finish the race which made it really really tough.

Have to agree with this. Didnt enjoy this race as much as the 5 mile due to the fact that by the time I finished (2hrs21, long time I know but i'm happy I did it) it felt like the whole place was packing up to go home. I think its so unfair that the mile markers were taken down as after mile 6 I literally had no idea where I was or how far I had left to go. Not impressed with it at all to be honest. While I know the majority of people had finished way ahead of me, the cut-off time is 2:30 so the mile markers should be up until then. Otherwise just reduce the cut-off time to eliminate us very slow runners!!! Leaves a sour taste, like no one gives a damn about the slow people, only the fast ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

4 stars (good)
    My target for this race was 80 mins and finished in 78:22 so was happy with that.

From reading all of the previous comments I have to agree with a lot of them. I started about 2/3 way back in wave 1 and was seriously held up for the first mile. I was waiting to meet someone at the back of wave 1 and to be fair they were making sure people knew it was sub 85 and encouraging certain people to go to the next wave.

As raycun said though people are less likely to walk further away to start if they don't have to.

My other bugbear was having to run on the pathway coming up chesterfield. This was very congested and very hard to pass people. This was my slowest mile apart from the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Hoped for 1.25 and got 1.21.21 so very happy with that.

Was well run in my opinon, they really made the effort to let people know about the waves but some people just dont care and jump in anywhere, a bit direspectful but what can you do really. But didnt really bother me too much, was some heat that morning. Under 4 weeks to the half now :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

4 stars (good)
    dernipper wrote: »
    Not sure if it was just a once off 'follow the herd moment" or ongoing during the race but anyone else see the people cheating and cutting the corner at mile 5-6 before the turn onto the path?

Why would you do this? Sad, sad people and a far bigger crime in my book then being in the wrong wave

Uh-oh. Which corner is this exactly, as I think I might have cut it?
    swervring wrote: »
    ! Leaves a sour taste, like no one gives a damn about the slow people, only the fast ones.

That is bad. It would be worth popping off an e-mail to the organisers, if you haven't already. If they get feedback, they might make a change for the next race.

2 stars (poor)
    Donny5 wrote: »
    That is bad. It would be worth popping off an e-mail to the organisers, if you haven't already. If they get feedback, they might make a change for the next race.

Thanks Donny, I have done, fingers crossed it makes a difference. I'm a bit put off doing the half after Saturday to be honest! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

swervring wrote: »
    Thanks Donny, I have done, fingers crossed it makes a difference. I'm a bit put off doing the half after Saturday to be honest! :confused:

Yeah the mrs said the same, she felt quite annoyed as she was well within the cut off time and was very dissapointed, let us all know what they reply back.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭strife

4 stars (good)
    Really enjoyed this race! I had a great day, finished in 2hrs 28 secs which im happy with considering this was my frist race, first 10 miles and im only new to this running business, overall happy out.

2 Small gripes though the mile markers came down very early, it didnt effect me i was just ahead of the lads in the van but it must have been off putting to anyone running a slower pace, and when i got my goodie bag at the end some fat B@$£@?d must have taken it before me eaten all of the food out of it and handed it back for another one, as mine was empty when i got it, except for half bottle of energy drink. I was quite annoyed!

But having said all that at the end of the day i still enjoyed the race and look forward working on my time for the next race :D

• Advertisement

2 stars (poor)
    Got a response from the Dublin Marathon Facebook page:

"Dublin Marathon We got to the bottom of why the markers were taken down. They were taken down in error by a signage vendor who was taking down his own signs and took the mile markers in error. He apologises for his error and has said he will ensure his team do not make the same error again."

Sounds a bit odd to me to be honest but hopefully means that it won't happen in the half :)

2 stars (poor)
    One other thing, did anyone else have any problem with shuttle buses? There was none waiting when I finished, ended up walking back to Heuston Station & didnt pass any coming back to pick people up either, is there also a cut-off time for the shuttle bus???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

heffsarmy wrote: »

Good man Heff, spot on. If you're concentrating on what you're doing you dont give a **** whos saying what to who from the sidelines.
    Woddle wrote: »
    I see your training buddy ran nearly 3 minutes quicker than last year, both of yous must be well chuffed with how things are looking.

Yeah he's responding really well to the training. He ran that race at the end of a 90mile week so he was far from fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

In the Connemarathon, if you're caught using any sort of MP3 player you're taken out of the race:
    In reality a decent percentage of the people doing the half in conn were using headphones, so while they talk a good game about being strict on it - they are not really :)

I use headphones while training, but not in races - I think a lot of folks would be like that...

You need to be aware of what is going on around you in races - and the music blocks all that out

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

4 stars (good)
    That was my first ten mile. I came in at a chip time of 1'26 which I was happy with. I was running with earphones, just to track my pace using my phone app.

I think the waves could have been much more clearly indicated with written signs. I started near the back of the first wave where several people approached me to ask which wave it was. I too spent the first mile or so weaving around various walkers and groups trotting abreast at an easy pace.

I really enjoed the race and look forward to the half in a couple of weeks time. My only gripe would be with the amount of litter -surely if you have the capacity to carry full gel sachets on your person you have the capacity to hang on to them when they're empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

4 stars (good)
    coalshed wrote: »
    My only gripe would be with the amount of litter -surely if you have the capacity to carry full gel sachets on your person you have the capacity to hang on to them when they're empty.

+1, if I use any gels, I always stick the wrapper back into pocket in shorts where i've just taken full gel from.... its not that difficult...same with wrappers from goody bag, put them into a bin when you get there......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

4 stars (good)
    Well after all the comments re wrong waves... I was in the wrong wave.

I had hoped for <85 mins but things weren't to be and I ran 88 mins. I thought the race was well organised and didn't notice too many people walking in the first mile. it was slow though. I took the decision to go with the flow and not force my way through as I would have liked to run the first mile quicker but can understand how frustrating that might have been or others.

Is the t-shirt meant to be a technical t-shirt? If so when did 100% polyester become technical? It's no different from the cheap ones except is asics branded.

3 stars (average)
    Nike dri-fit is 100% polyester too, so is the Mizuno stuff (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

4 stars (good)
    Nike dri-fit is 100% polyester too, so is the Mizuno stuff (I think)

Ah ok.

ah sure, I had techinical 100% polyester tshirt as a kid,...so Technical is just a snake oil term then? :D

(Apoligies for the derail.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

3 stars (average)

Ah ok.

ah sure, I had techinical 100% polyester tshirt as a kid,...so Technical is just a snake oil term then? :D

(Apoligies for the derail.)

I thought technical T Shirt just means it has holes in it

Advertisement