Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank Duffy 10m - 20/08/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

4 stars (good)
    RQ - 75:01
    EJ - 89:59
    WHIP IT! 85:00
    folan - 95:00
    RayCun - 74
    Steviecakes: - 79:59
    outforarun - 74:59
    metamorphosis - 65:00
    macinalli - 68:00
    Buck - 100:00
    menoscemo 67:50
    Jet Black - 100:00
    rovers_runner - 89:59
    belcarra - Sub 78
    Pistol - 80:00
    Krusty_Clown - 59:30
    7mile- 62.59.
    PDCAT - 79.59
    ILikeBananas - 84:59
    Tec Diver - 79:58
    Couedelion - 89:59
    jester1980 - 84:59
    pconn062 - 75:59
    paulb79 74:59
    Vagga - 77:30
    Catseye2 - 76:30
    liamog - 84:59
    brownian - 59:59
    antomagoo - 77:00
    Jk_Eire - 79:59
    Spanx - 76:00
    pulpo - 67:00
    TheT- 89:59
    Inquitus - 84:30
    NeedsTraining - 64:16
    Marthastew 74.59 (first time to call my time... I generally just keep my fingers crossed. What happens if I finish way later than that? smile.gif )
    Caprica - 61:29
    PaulieYifter 74:00
    cwgatling - 63:59

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

4 stars (good)
    Marthastew wrote: »
    Marthastew 74.59 (first time to call my time... I generally just keep my fingers crossed. What happens if I finish way later than that? :) )
    You've to buy everyone else on the list a drink. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

3 stars (average)
    You've to buy everyone else on the list a drink. :)

I better up the training then:)

Failing that I could "buy" you all water in the finishing pens....

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

4 stars (good)
    RayCun - 74
    belcarra - Sub 78
    7mile- 62.59.
    PDCAT - 79.59
    Marthastew 74.59 (first time to call my time... I generally just keep my fingers crossed. What happens if I finish way later than that? smile.gif )
    Potsy - 72.00

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

4 stars (good)
    RayCun - 74
    belcarra - Sub 78
    7mile- 62.59.
    PDCAT - 79.59
    Potsy - 72.00
    run44 - 94:00

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

4 stars (good)
    Did a recce of the route on Thursday - it'll definitely surprise one or two who expect it to be an easy course. The finish up Acres Rd, is just evil.....
    I did the same last week. I hate that Acres Road finish. It will be a killer.

I've done Acres Rd. a few times.... don't find it a problem at all to be honest.

Doing the full race route this weekend so will have a good idea of what to expect come race day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I've done Acres Rd. a few times.... don't find it a problem at all to be honest.

Doing the full race route this weekend so will have a good idea of what to expect come race day!

The climb up onto the acres road is definitely the sharpest hill in the park. You think it's over when you turn the corner (as you pass the hospital) to look towards the papal cross and the gradient actually gets steeper :o
    The good news is it's a very short hill, but it is definitely a good idea to keep something in the tank as there is about a 3/4 mile of straight run into the finish once you crest the hill, so there's a potential to lose a fair bit of time if you attack the hill too much.

Other than that the course is actually quite nice, I've recce'd it a good few times over the past few weeks as part of my long runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dingonerd

3 stars (average)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    The climb up onto the acres road is definitely the sharpest hill in the park. You think it's over when you turn the corner (as you pass the hospital) to look towards the papal cross and the gradient actually gets steeper :o
    The good news is it's a very short hill, but it is definitely a good idea to keep something in the tank as there is about a 3/4 mile of straight run into the finish once you crest the hill, so there's a potential to lose a fair bit of time if you attack the hill too much.

Other than that the course is actually quite nice, I've recce'd it a good few times over the past few weeks as part of my long runs.

I agree not a bad course, and the hill at st marys is short but severe.
    The only problem with acres road is that it is very exposed, no shelter, so its difficulty depends on what way the wind blows..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

menoscemo wrote: »

Looks like all your years of sleeping rough in the park is paying off:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

3 stars (average)
    RayCun - 74
    belcarra - Sub 78
    7mile- 62.59.
    PDCAT - 79.59
    Potsy - 72.00
    run44 - 94:00
    opus - < 64:00

Decided to enter to satisfy the demands of the P&D program that I'm following for Berlin, that's its most merciless weekend as it has an 18m LSR on the cards for the Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

opus wrote: »
    Decided to enter to satisfy the demands of the P&D program that I'm following for Berlin, that's its most merciless weekend as it has an 18m LSR on the cards for the Sunday.

Yep, me too you must be following the 12 week 70 mile schedule?
    If you want, give me a shout if you want to do that 18 miler in the park with a bit of company, I'm dreading the run myself. You are gonna have to go verrrrry slowly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

3 stars (average)
    in training for the Dublin Marathon, training plan for this weekend is a 7 & a 15 miler. have signed up for this but was thinking of doing a 15 miler on the sunday but then i saw the clonmel half. would a 10 mile race and a half marathon in one weekend be madness/counterproductive?

4 stars (good)
    Total madness IMO. You'll kill yourself trying to race a ten miler and a half the day after. Race the 10 hard and jog that 15 miles the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

3 stars (average)
    makes sense - thanks. I meant that I would run the half as a training run but sure i may as well just take the 15 slow by myself and save time/money/energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Buck

3 stars (average)
    Got my race number today, in the 9000's. Does that mean that there is 9000 plus entered for the race? Surely that would be too many for the Phoenix Park. The fast ones at the front would have me lapped before I even passed the start line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ILikeBananas

3 stars (average)
    Buck wrote: »
    Got my race number today, in the 9000's. Does that mean that there is 9000 plus entered for the race? Surely that would be too many for the Phoenix Park. The fast ones at the front would have me lapped before I even passed the start line :)

Got mine as well this morning. It's in the 7000's. I signed up on July 31st.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dub8

Got mine as well this morning. It's in the 7000's. I signed up on July 31st.

i have the same number for all 3 races so i guess they just arent duplicating any of the numbers ... if that makes any sense ! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yeah, any numbers from the 5 mile who aren't doing the 10 mile wouldn't have been duplicated for the 10 mile which is why the numbers go so high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

4 stars (good)
    Looking forward to this - my first 10 miler!

Has anyone (with a fancy gps watch) run the route yet? I've never run in the Phoenix park before and I wont be able to get out there before the race so it would be nice to get an idea of any climbs etc.

EDIT:

A quick glance on garmin connect answered my own question!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/100676255

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 unasimpson

see charter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

cwgatling wrote: »

Get out of it Paddy, thats way too soft a target for you. Get those balls up on that chopping block and give us a proper target.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

4 stars (good)
    tunguska wrote: »
    Get those balls up on that chopping block and give us a proper target.
    Tunguska, your name is noticeable in its absence from the list. Lets have no more talk of balls and chopping blocks from you!

Tunguska, your name is noticeable in its absence from the list. Lets have no more talk of balls and chopping blocks from you!

Listen Im perfectly willing to put someone elses balls up on that chopping block, no problem there.
    No I wont be making any predictions for myself, I honestly have no idea what time I'll do. The goal is the marathon so I wont be tapering or making any allowances for this race. Having said that I will give it everything on the day, so who knows.

4 stars (good)
    Ah Jaysus, I meant 53:59 :P! Ok, I'll whip them out and say 62:59.
    Tunguska is a 55 min man, easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

got my number in post the other day. its the first race Ive done that will start with waves. Am I correct in saying that you just go into whatever wave you are looking to finish the run in, in my case wave two, 90 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Nolanbry

ac20 wrote: »
    got my number in post the other day. its the first race Ive done that will start with waves. Am I correct in saying that you just go into whatever wave you are looking to finish the run in, in my case wave two, 90 mins.

Yep the waves are clearly marked so just make you way to the wave that best suits your pace

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

3 stars (average)
    ac20 wrote: »

Yes, that's it. You'd want to be reasonably near the front of wave 2 as well, maybe 6 or 7 rows back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

3 stars (average)
    tunguska wrote: »
    Listen Im perfectly willing to put someone elses balls up on that chopping block, no problem there.
    No I wont be making any predictions for myself, I honestly have no idea what time I'll do. The goal is the marathon so I wont be tapering or making any allowances for this race. Having said that I will give it everything on the day, so who knows.

I'm not accepting this :) It's a kop out ;) Why bother running a race if you have no target. All good marathon plans include races and they are used to help you judge training paces. So why don't you taper and try and run a PB, at least if you have a bad marathon run or get injured later in the program you will have gained something from all your training. Just my 2cents.

• Advertisement

I'm not accepting this :) It's a kop out ;) Why bother running a race if you have no target. All good marathon plans include races and they are used to help you judge training paces. So why don't you taper and try and run a PB, at least if you have a bad marathon run or get injured later in the program you will have gained something from all your training. Just my 2cents.

You can keep your 2cents Dave I never wanted them in the first place:). Why am I running the race if Im not going for a pb or whatever? Heres the deal, the guy Im training with really wants to run this, I dont. I would prefer to just continue on with the training plan as scheduled. But because Phil is running the race that leaves me with a choice: Do the scheduled training session that week on my toblerone or run the race and do the session within the race itself, which is a far easier option than having to knock out a difficult session by myself. So I'm choosing option B. Im not tapering because that would defeat the purpose of the training plan Im following. The JD program does say you can replace sessions with races, but you gotta do exactly that, replace, not make allowances for. I mean if I was just doing the session I wouldnt taper for that. Not everybody runs races for PBs, soemtimes you gotta leave your ego at the door and keep your eyes on the prize.

Advertisement