Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

difference between british english and american english

Options
  • 08-07-2011 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

can somebody explain this to me - I thought all english people were british

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

in america "colour" is spelled "color" ... and loads of other words are similar.

no offence intended to them but americans are stupid (in general) ...so if spellcheck tells them they spelled a word wrong they get confused - it was easier to create "american english" and "British English"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

PCPhoto wrote: »
    no offence intended to them but americans are stupid (in general) ...
    Not nearly as stupid as most generalisations that start with no offence intended...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Columba79 wrote: »
    I thought all english people were british
    i'm not sure how that applies to the question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭jonnyrudyard

Dades wrote: »
    Not nearly as stupid as most generalisations that start with no offence intended...
    You misspelled "generlizations" and "offense." ;)

The differences are few and minor, like the examples I gave. I think we in the states have a lot more slang as well, unfortunately.

PS: what is "debatable" about this?

Advertisement