Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom now charging for excess usage.

• 08-07-2011 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been with Eircom broadband for the last 8 years or so. Never had much of an issue bar the odd outage. I was always on 1MB download line until 2 months ago when I was upgraded to 8MB download. I didn't request to be changed but it's part of the Next Generation Broadband scheme.

Now I received my bi-monthly bill in the last few days and see that I have been charged €30 for excess usage on my line. I have never before been charged for excess usage. So I rang Eircom and they tell me that I'm 19GB over the limit for May and June. They say they're now enforcing the excess usage policy as Comreg are putting the pressure on them. I wouldn't believe that for a second. I think they're using the NGB upgrade as an excuse to enforce this excess usage policy. I am changing providers as soon as I find a decent alternative. I'm pretty annoyed with Eircom as I remember the letter that came two months ago declaring that we were going to be upgraded "at no extra cost". Anyone else have any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

moved from eircom to smart never been happier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

This has been the case since eircom introduced NGB last year. The packages are now priced by data usage rather than speed. It's up to you to pay for the package that suits your usage pattern. They also enforce the caps, and charge for excess usage.

Your choices are to switch provider, or pay for an appropriate eircom package to suit your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Mike_Eile

Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate what you are saying. Is there any website available that shows a list of broadband provides in your area? I'm living in Cork but a lot of providers don't provide services in my area, even though I'm only 10 minutes from Cork City. I rand UPC a short while ago and they don't provide here.

Thanks again for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Mike_Eile wrote: »
    Is there any website available that shows a list of broadband provides in your area?

Not any more, no. Even when there was, they tended to be fairly worthless anyway. Since you have a phone line, and DSL is available, then switching to another DSL provider might be the best option. Magnet, Smart, Vodafone, etc, should all be available to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Mike_Eile

No problem. Thanks again Jor El. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Mike_Eile wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been with Eircom broadband for the last 8 years or so. Never had much of an issue bar the odd outage. I was always on 1MB download line until 2 months ago when I was upgraded to 8MB download. I didn't request to be changed but it's part of the Next Generation Broadband scheme.

Now I received my bi-monthly bill in the last few days and see that I have been charged €30 for excess usage on my line. I have never before been charged for excess usage. So I rang Eircom and they tell me that I'm 19GB over the limit for May and June. They say they're now enforcing the excess usage policy as Comreg are putting the pressure on them. I wouldn't believe that for a second. I think they're using the NGB upgrade as an excuse to enforce this excess usage policy. I am changing providers as soon as I find a decent alternative. I'm pretty annoyed with Eircom as I remember the letter that came two months ago declaring that we were going to be upgraded "at no extra cost". Anyone else have any thoughts?

I am sure that Comreg would not take to kindly to being quoted in this way. You should email comreg and tell them what Eircom told you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭markc1184

I had the same issue. Upgraded my package so I got unlimited usage and it's costing less for the upgrade each month than they would have charged for the excess usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

My area has just been highlighted as enabled on the NGB map.
    Seeing as it could be 'migrated' any minute I'm afraid my days of carefree downloading are now over.
    P.S UPC said my area can not receive broadband without a landline yet but they will notify me when I can, I wonder with NGB will it bring any new changes in that regard? Can't wait to leave eircom and cancel the phone line once I can get wifi broadband without a landline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

I would be carefull when taking calls from Eircom sales ppl as they seem to be very active at the moment. The calls are made under the guise of providing you with the best package to suite your needs, I had one last Friday, mobile calls, landline and internalional were mentioned but what was not mentioned was the download allowance and this can change depending on the package you take. These calls are generally being made to ppl who are out of contract(12 months+). Some customers have agreed to sign up for a different package that maybe saves them a fiver a month but could cost them more in excess usage charges as your download allowance could be reduced to 10GB a month.

BTW a couple of years back an Eircom support person on being asked by me why my line was not capable of higher speeds replied that she could not tell me as it was against Comreg rules to do so, proving that Eircom like to shift responsibility to Comreg if and when it suites even when both parties know it's a load of twaddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Pangea wrote: »
    My area has just been highlighted as enabled on the NGB map.
    Seeing as it could be 'migrated' any minute I'm afraid my days of carefree downloading are now over.
    P.S UPC said my area can not receive broadband without a landline yet but they will notify me when I can, I wonder with NGB will it bring any new changes in that regard? Can't wait to leave eircom and cancel the phone line once I can get wifi broadband without a landline.

Check your BB usage stats. If it says Unlimited in the Download Allowance column then you should be ok. A word of warning, Unlimited does not mean Unlimited, afaik it means 250gb's.

http://support.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=66&E=0000000000287421092&K=680&Sxi=5&Case=obj(11300)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Check your BB usage stats. If it says Unlimited in the Download Allowance column then you should be ok. A word of warning, Unlimited does not mean Unlimited, afaik it means 250gb's.

http://support.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=66&E=0000000000287421092&K=680&Sxi=5&Case=obj(11300)

Thanks, that link doesn't work but I know what you mean, at the moment it says 30GB but I haven't been upgraded yet, as I am on the 3mb package I think I will be upgraded to the 250GB Allowance. Its the users that are on the 1mb package at present that have to be careful of going over the allowance when upgraded as they will be upgraded to only 10GB allowance.

Advertisement