Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1000 bare roots

Options
  • 08-07-2011 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Planning to plant 1&1/2 acres of bare root trees this winter with eventually copicing in mind for firewood....ash++, hazel+, & some willow, hornbeam.
    Have some prep to do for autumn ie fence, shore/drain, spray, rotovate ect.

Question - where is the best place to buy/order these trees with price and quality in mind ? ---dont mind traveling to get a deal ........ tanx

P.S will post in farming/forestry also

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

coillte have nurseries which would be worth checking out.
    unfortunately, you appear not to be able to get into the coilltenurseries.ie site without a login now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

With that kind of quantity Coillte Nurseries (as Magicbastarder said) would be the people to contact. Ring (+353 59 91 55621) or email (Nursery.sales@coillte.ie) them.

Failing that Future Forests would be worth a look as would SAP.

Keep an eye on the classifieds in the back of the Farmers Journal too. There are often people selling of bulk bare root stock in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I have also seen trees advertised in Done Deal and places like that

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

Coillte have terrific stock as do the private nurseries. Call all of them and get a catalogue and place your order early.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You really do not have to buy willow, if you can get hold of a few willow branches just cut off lengths and stick them in the ground. About 50% will grow at ridiculous speed. If you have ever used willow as pea sticks you will have seen them grow faster than the peas!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Can hornbeam hedging that is gorwing with leaves on it be uprooted and planted now.

I have around 20 hornbeams in my back garden,that are intended for my front garden,but couldnt be planted at the time,due a delay with the builders finishing the boundary walls and driveway.

Could they be moved now and replanted without damaging them??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you'd have to lift a big rootball. i wouldn't chance it this time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

looksee wrote: »
    You really do not have to buy willow, if you can get hold of a few willow branches just cut off lengths and stick them in the ground. About 50% will grow at ridiculous speed. If you have ever used willow as pea sticks you will have seen them grow faster than the peas!

Can this be done at any time of year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 plantlord

paddy147 wrote: »
    Can hornbeam hedging that is gorwing with leaves on it be uprooted and planted now.

I have around 20 hornbeams in my back garden,that are intended for my front garden,but couldnt be planted at the time,due a delay with the builders finishing the boundary walls and driveway.

Could they be moved now and replanted without damaging them??

If they are just newly planted they could be. Use a hedge clippers to remove 50% of green growth before moving, to lessen the strain on the roots. Water every day after moving, for a few weeks. Do not replant deeply.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I seem to recall they take better done in the summer. Just cut off any new top growth and keep them watered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

paddy147 wrote: »
    Can hornbeam hedging that is gorwing with leaves on it be uprooted and planted now??

If at all possible you should wait till the dormant season as the risk of losing the hedging were they to be moved now is huge. As others have said, if you do move them then you are going to have to ensure they are constantly watered as you will have removed most of their root structure when transplanting.

Even if you do keep a large root ball when you dig them up you will still be losing a considerable amount (if not all) of their fine roots structure. Fine roots are the main source of water/nutrient uptake in plants.
    nophd08 wrote: »
    Can this be done at any time of year?

Contrary to the above, the best time to plant cuttings (as opposed to whips or plants) of willow would be during the active growing season when they have the best chance of setting roots.

Advertisement