Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a new motherboard

Options
  • 08-07-2011 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

Following on from my last thread, it seems Corsair doesn't have PC2-8500 in stock so will either give me PC2-6400 or some DDR3. As my mobo doesn't take DDR3, I'm going to upgrade.

I'm on a bit of a budget, though, so plan on getting a good great motherboard, and a half decent CPU, with a plan to upgrade the CPU at a later stage. that takes a LGA 775 CPU and DDR3 RAM.

My motherboard requirements are at least 6 SATA slots (3 for HDDs, one for SATA DVD which I'll also be buying, and 2 for future expansion), 4 memory slots (which will support at least 16GB RAM) a PCI slot, and a PCIe slot. Have a full tower, so ATX, etc should all fit.

As for CPU, I'd want a socket that's not at the end of it's line, as I'll want to update it later. Once it'll play BF3, I'll be happy with it.

Budget... I want it fairly cheap, but if it's worth my while to get a decent motherboard and decent CPU, I may put the purchase off until September (when I'll have more money to spend), but would rather getting this sorted soon, as the lack of gaming, and doing things with 1GB of RAM, is killing me :'(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

maybe concider a nice AM3+ motherboard and a cheapo athlon x3? then you could jump onto bulldozer when it arrives. also, the athlon x3 is a great chip for very little money, and could unlock to a full phenom x4.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I don't see any reason for upgrading from a Q9550. Even if you get an i5-2500k, the increase in performance isn't worth the cost imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

deconduo wrote: »
    I don't see any reason for upgrading from a Q9550. Even if you get an i5-2500k, the increase in performance isn't worth the cost imo.
    Hrm... I suppose I could just get a new mobo that supports DDR3. Didn't think of that :D The Q9550 does me just fine now. Fúck yeah, this could work out fairly cheaply, alright!

Found Jaguar Computer Systems has a good selection os 775 boards: http://www.jaguarcompsys.ie/index.php?cPath=1_28_37 so will probably get one from them

Anyone know what they're like to deal with?

Looking at the ASUS SKT-775 P5E3 PRO. Seems to be a bit pricey, but can handle decent DDR3 RAM, as well as having 6 SATA ports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Take the PC6400. Will make feck all difference in games....

Save your pennies for a new gfx card :D

uberpixie wrote: »
    Take the PC6400. Will make feck all difference in games....
    I'll be getting it shortly. Looking forward to playing the rest of Suke, and the games that I bought in the Steam sale.
    uberpixie wrote: »
    Save your pennies for a new gfx card :D
    Ah, the current one does a grand job, but hope to upgrade it around or before xmas...

Advertisement