Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing, instead of painting, a council home.

• 08-07-2011 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

This may be a silly question but I'm wondering if people have much experience washing the exterior of redbrick homes? I'm hesitant about painting an entire council house, primarily because of the cost, and would prefer to simply wash the walls if that would make a noticeable difference. Do people think it's worth the effort to do this? What would be the best ways of approaching the job?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

A wire brush might be the way to go,could be difficult to get a even finish though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

mp22 wrote: »
    A wire brush might be the way to go,could be difficult to get a even finish though.

WHAT! You want the OP to wire brush the whole outside of a brick house, you're havin a laugh.
    Get a powerwasher and do it and yes it will make a difference.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

If the red bricks and the mortar are old a power washer will cause problems,loosening joints plus some red bricks can get porous with age.If there newish go nuts.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Cant you get a mild acid wash to clean the bricks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

acid wash it,simples.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 marble pie

Thanks for all the tips. I've heard also that powerwashing can damage the bricks and mortar more than you'd probably think but acid washing, that's something I'm going to look into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,624 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Be very careful with powerwashing on bricks, you can easily do damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

I'd be careful with acid. Test on a small area and leave a few weeks after washing off to see if there has been a reaction with any of the constituents of the brick.

A powerwasher with mild detergent and warm water, used judiciously (i.e, from a bit of a distance) might give a result.

Advertisement