Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a scythe

Options
  • 08-07-2011 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

So although I know I'll probably remove a toe or two, I was thinking about buying a scythe for cutting my grass instead of a large petrol-powered strimmer, which would be required for my mini-Amazon.

My question for people who have experience of these tools is do they take a lot of time to properly master? Are they a skill, or is it a feasible way for an uncoordinated man like myself to start making a dent in his garden immediately? Also if any knows where I could pick one up in the Dublin area I'd appreciate it.

Cheers all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

marble pie wrote: »
    So although I know I'll probably remove a toe or two, I was thinking about buying a scythe for cutting my grass instead of a large petrol-powered strimmer, which would be required for my mini-Amazon.

My question for people who have experience of these tools is do they take a lot of time to properly master? Are they a skill, or is it a feasible way for an uncoordinated man like myself to start making a dent in his garden immediately? Also if any knows where I could pick one up in the Dublin area I'd appreciate it.

Cheers all.

Well I have one, its 80 odd years old. You need a good sharping stone for it and also a decent hay fork to clear up the cut forest afterwards. I use it to cut the tops off my potato patch. Its easy to use after 10 mins practice, gentle sweeping strokes away from the body. I think your being a little hopefully in thinking you might just cut 1 or two toes off if you get it wrong, my grandfather told me the story of seening a man cut most of his leg off with one in the 1920s. He didn't last long afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I inherited a selection of scythes and tried using them for a while. They can be very effective on things like bracken but if you want to use it on grass you really have to have it very sharp and that brings dangers in itself. Corsendonk describes the method very well - slow and steady and with no children/pets in the vicinity. And of course it's easier on a dry day.

Also, if your ground is uneven scythes are even trickier. Don't forget they were only really used on level land and its easy to dig the tip into banks etc.

Good luck - and let us know what type of strimmer you buy :D

(which is what I ended up doing)

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

they are a very handy tool especially for getting in under hedges good and far. you need a good stance and a good swinging motion. start off slow take small pieces at first and go very slow with a short motion. then as you get used to standing out of the way of the blade the action will become easy and you can begin taking larger swathes of grass i each cut. i learned from a neighbour when i was ten or so they take time to master and are a skill. a real pro can cut in such a way that it leaves a neat little row of cut grass to clean up with the fork instead of a big cut mess you'll end up with the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 marble pie

Thanks for all the feedback. I went ahead and bought garden shears! Really you all just reaffirmed my fear of very sharp blades :)

I would like one day to 'master' the use of a scythe but I'll probably wait until I have more time and a larger piece of land. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

ya shouldn't be scared of one.i bought my first one about 3 years ago.wasn't taught just went away and cut the very long grass.a sharpening stone is eccential.can't see how you can harm yourself but make sure no one else is around.shears will hurt ya back a scythe keeps you standing upright.go for it you won't regret it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 sc0by

anyone know where in Dublin I could buy a scythe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JoeClen

Scythes are quite safe while mowing. In fact some fellows mow with a scythe in their bare feet. But extreme care must be taken when it is not in use.
    A description on how to use a scythe is at scythephotographs. The scythe described is one with a high carbon blade and was commonly used in Ireland. It is maintained differently from the European types.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

there not to hard to get the hang of and you get a cool old school feeling using it
    I use one on a 1/4 acre paddock it's no hassle. Pretty sure the scythe is older than my grandfather though

Advertisement