Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courgettes

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Courgette Loaf - also known as zucchini bread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I tried this Spiedini Toscana from the BritishLarder this week. It was delicious and I didn't use the bbq to cook it. 25 minutes in the oven was enough. I didn't apply the finesse described in the recipe, but it didn't suffer from being a little chunkier than the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

My faveorite courgette recipe this year is corgette fritters..

I've kinda mixed and matched what I've made them with just depends in what I've had..

One courgette grated and try and drain and squeeze out the liquid
    One cup sweetcorn - if you have any
    Chopped seeded tomatoes - have made them without and it can make it crisper

1/4 cup ground nuts - I mainly use walnuts
    Tablespoon or so tomatoe puree
    garlic
    lemon juice
    one teaspoon oregano
    couple of tablespoon fresh hebs- have used parsley, dill or mint
    salt and pepper
    one or two eggs - I've also used tofu when I didn't have any eggs and worked really well

depending on what we want I have omitted the fresh herbs and add chilli and tobasco sauce.

I judge by eye - Polenta - but could use flour or breadcrumbs

Mix the second batch of ingredients together in the processer and fold in the rest. I actually bake these for 30 min at about 190 but I think is more normal to fry.

I think they go really well with salad and lots of very cold white wine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Courgette Loaf - also known as zucchini bread

Thanks for all the suggestions, i made the pickle and the above bread today, I am well impressed. I attempted a bread last year and it was a disaster, a soggy mess is the only way to describe it. This bread was completely different and I will def be making more of it.

I'l try some of the other recipes when I get my next glut of courgettes :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 JetJadore

Just a quick tried and tested of my own:
    In a pan, fry a medium onion diced in a tablespoon of butter and tablespoon of oil until soft.
    Add 2 large courgettes sliced, and a teaspoon of dried oregano (or 3 of fresh if you got it).
    fry on a low heat for 5 minutes, adding more oil if it starts to get too dry.
    Add 3 mugs of chicken stock (or veggie) and simmer for 20 minutes on a low heat.
    when courgettes are soft remove pot from heat and add 2 big tablespoons of blue cheese. (cashel blue is grand)
    blitz in a blender until pureed' and sieve back into pot. Add a splash of cream before serving.
    Its a really tasty soup, you can add more cheese to taste, and a handful of spinach 2 minutes before you take it off the heat to blitz it.
    My dad hates courgettes and spinach but loves this soup. It is a variation of a traditional Italian recipe.
    Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

If you can get your hands on Cannelloni pasta, try this :

1-2 chopped courgettes
    2 cloves of garlic
    1 chopped onion
    handful of chopped black olives (optional)
    1 chopped red pepper
    1-2 tsp tomato puree
    grated parmesan

1 tin of chopped tomatoes

200 g of grated cheese (Edam or Gouda or Mozarella works best)

Fry up the onions, garlic and courgettes and pepper until the courgettes are slightly browned.
    Add the olives and tomato puree, then put the mixture into a food processor and blitz, then add grated parmesan until you've got a rather thick mixture. Season with salt and pepper.

Spoon the mixture into the Canellonni tubes, then place the stuffed tubes into an ovenproof dish.
    Pour the chopped tomatoes over the pasta, then cover the dish with tinfoil.

Place in a pre-heated oven at around 200 degree for around 40 minutes.
    Take the dish out, remove the tinfoil and make sure that the pasta is soft (test with a fork). then sprinkle on the cheese and return to the oven for another 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted.

Serve with a salad and garlic bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Ki ki

Chop courgettes and oven roast.
    Remove and mix in a bowl with pesto.
    Return to oven for a little more roasting.
    Sprinkle with grated cheese (mozza/gouda is my favourite) and grill till browned.
    Mmmmm, I know what I'm having for dinner tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

Courgette turkey balls - I made these last week - very tasty. I found the recipe online, but it went something like this:

Grate 1 courgette and 1 onion, mix with ground turkey, add salt and black pepper and basil or oregano....whatever you like really. Roll into balls and bake in the over for 20 min. Serve over wholegrain pasta with marinara sauce.

Advertisement