Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

out of date goods

Options
  • 08-07-2011 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

hi, my wife just bought a bag of chocolate sweets from a local shop and they are out of date (she didnt get a reciept), she didnt know this and was eating them no problem and didnt think anything was wrong with them, anyway i saw them and had one and they where soft(supposed to be hard) i checked the date and they are out by 1 month, this is not the first time this has happened from this shop.

my question is who can i report the shop to?
    As i said this is not the first time and i want to get something done about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

In the vast majority of cases, out of date doesn't mean that it's not fit to eat (aside from the obvious like eggs, meat, refrigerated products, etc).

Chocolates (except those with real cream fillings) should be perfectly fine to eat. I've eaten chocolate that's over a year out of date with no issue.

There's no one you can report it to, but next time, check the expiry date before buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

This has happened me only once and I simply went back to the shop and politely pointed it out. They apologised and refunded me. No big deal and no crime committed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

It's "Best Before" and NOT "Out of Date".

Tell then next time you're in the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

RABBIT. wrote: »
    hi, my wife just bought a bag of chocolate sweets from a local shop and they are out of date (she didnt get a reciept), she didnt know this and was eating them no problem and didnt think anything was wrong with them, anyway i saw them and had one and they where soft(supposed to be hard) i checked the date and they are out by 1 month, this is not the first time this has happened from this shop.

You want to get something done? You want to bully the shopkeeper? He has made s small error by not checking the date of every single item in his store every week just so that YOU don't have to take any responsibility. Get real!!!

Obviously you are the one person who has never made an error ever on life.

Oh yeah - learn the difference between best before and use by. Nothing whatsoever wrong in selling goods past a bedt before date as this is purely a suggested date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

The shop manager. This happens every day up and down the country every day.

What most people dont realise is BEST BEFORE date means just that, its best before. It does not mean the items has "gone off" the day after, how could it?

USE BY date is a different thing though. This is the one you have to watch out for.

Dont worry about it. Mention it to the manager when you are in next.

• Advertisement

maxer68 wrote: »
    You want to get something done?

Oh yeah - learn the difference between best before and use by. Nothing whatsoever wrong in selling goods past a bedt before date as this is purely a suggested date.

Thats correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

There is a stall at my local car boot sale and everything on the table has expired the ' best before date '

Everything is sold at discount prices and he makes a nice few bob .

Its a common misconception that the product has gone off.

I have a big basket in my place full of chocolate bars I have found past their BBD. I just put a sign on them "To clear - various dates May/June/July two for a euro.

People hop on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I remember reading an article not so long ago about the UK wanting to scrap Best Before dates as they contribute to so much food being dumped unnecessarily.

And also remember reading this a few years ago:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/manchester/4693520.stm

What sweet did you buy. What was soft when it should have been hard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,595 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Best before dates are a very recent invention - its only about 20 years ago that the legislation came in, before that you used common sense.

While its a good idea to pay attentiion to meat dates - especially fresh chicken, pork, mince and offal, and also fish, mostly you are not in much danger. Its poor handling and hygiene that causes food poisoning.

Bread and milk it is worth checking just to get maximum shelf life, but it isn't going to poison you even if it doesn't taste great. Out of date cake and biscuits will taste stale, but won't harm you. There is not a lot of point using out of date herbs and spices as they will not taste of much, but they will not do any harm.

So long as food is sealed and cans do not look damaged or swollen they are not going to die on the best before date. It is more important to keep an eye on food that has been opened and has languished in the back of the fridge for a couple of weeks.

If you have been caught before with out of date stuff from your local shop then the solution is obvious - shop somewhere else, or at least check the date.

Advertisement