Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google+ (Plus) Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Not really, but thats the point, social networking needs to allow you to accept those you don't really want to, but without their knowing keep them at a distance, like circles. We all have friends, work acquaintances etc. that we have to accept, to keep the peace if you like, its easier to accept and ignore.

Yeah, but its very easy to "implement" in the real world.
    Looks like a whole host of "maintenance" in the online one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

kippy wrote: »
    Yeah, but its very easy to "implement" in the real world.
    Looks like a whole host of "maintenance" in the online one.

Not with Circles, its simple and effective, unlike FB which is awkward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭kravicecreama

To be honest - it's getting all too much for me - too many social sites, too many apps, too much time online and tied into the internet.
    There are gonna be some major social/health side effects "in the real world" down the line because of what is currently happening.
    And this is coming for a guy in the IT business.

Then just dont be a member of a social network maybe?

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Not with Circles, its simple and effective, unlike FB which is awkward

I disagree. But sure thats just me.

Then just dont be a member of a social network maybe?

Indeed, that's well and good being said to a guy in his thirties who grew up without them, but tell that to the younger generations who probably know nothing else.
    It was more an observation about the issues in wider society that could well happen in the years to come.

That being said, I can see myself dropping them soon enough alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭sarahisainmdom

Check out the state of this guy - he's on boards!

https://plus.google.com/104982850887434

That just frightened the bejaysus out of me. :eek:

Fierce sly! The actual link brings you to http://plus.google.com/me. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Check out the state of this guy - he's on boards!

https://plus.google.com/104982850887434

Dammit.
    I can't believe I fell for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 needacchelp

Hey guys,

Sorry if it's out of line posting this sort of thing when i'm not a regular here (well not a regular poster anyway).

I created a website www.moveyourphotos.com which allows you to move your photos from facebook to google+. Similar to move2picasa but we're not overrun with traffic so should be a lot faster. Also my addon lets you transfer any album you have permission to view as well as any photos you're tagged in.

Hopefully this is relevant enough to not get removed as spam? Bit of a gray area

oook...thats me guys!
    Sorry I am a techie not a softie....can someone explain the signification of this?

Indeed, that's well and good being said to a guy in his thirties who grew up without them, but tell that to the younger generations who probably know nothing else.
    It was more an observation about the issues in wider society that could well happen in the years to come.

That being said, I can see myself dropping them soon enough alright.

I didnt grow up without them .I just didnt see the point. I was not ignorant of social networks...I just saw them as a trademarked bunch of code of allready freely available tools without the adverts/apps and constant NO....feck off you are not my friends.inc.
    As previously posted....i would have signed up for the first available non-social network available.
    I havent liked previous social networks because of the obsession of the current generation that java is the only code.I have been waiting , patently, for a social network..kinda..for adults....or at least thinking humans.I am not sure if g+ is it but I will; give it a shot.
    I will admit to having very particular standards to what I expect from my web experience....and till now..through open source software I have been able to achieve that.I am not hyper intelligent, nor overtly tech savy yet I have gotten by. I guess what pi**es me off is this...if I can do it there most be others who can too.

• Advertisement

I didnt grow up without them .I just didnt see the point. I was not ignorant of social networks...I just saw them as a trademarked bunch of code of allready freely available tools without the adverts/apps and constant NO....feck off you are not my friends.inc.
    As previously posted....i would have signed up for the first available non-social network available.
    I havent liked previous social networks because of the obsession of the current generation that java is the only code.I have been waiting , patently, for a social network..kinda..for adults....or at least thinking humans.I am not sure if g+ is it but I will; give it a shot.
    I will admit to having very particular standards to what I expect from my web experience....and till now..through open source software I have been able to achieve that.I am not hyper intelligent, nor overtly tech savy yet I have gotten by. I guess what pi**es me off is this...if I can do it there most be others who can too.
    I dont get your point, its more from a social side that I see the issues (in the real world) with kids who have mobile devices and these sites available to them from a young age that I am slightly concerned about.
    I couldnt care less about it from a technical standpoint to be honest. Facebook was once for adults as well.

if there was an emoticon for a blushing face I would use it.But then I dont use emoticons because...well thats just another story. Still dont know what the fuss is...just go to
    http://socialstatistics.com/
    and add your g+ profile and soon you too will be able to "frightened the bejaysus out of me"
    simple really.

I dont get your point, its more from a social side that I see the issues (in the real world) with kids who have mobile devices and these sites available to them from a young age that I am slightly concerned about.
    I couldnt care less about it from a technical standpoint to be honest. Facebook was once for adults as well.

I actually agree with you on certain points. But you are talking about issues beyond the scope of a computers and tech forum. I say this from a father of an 8 year old,with a facebook account.
    You are discussing an issue that recks my head..in a good way!That for an entire generation Facebook IS the internet, devoid of wekipedia,devoid of chans, a closeted view of the internet based on add-ons and adware related advertising .
    But I think this issue is,as stated, beyond the controll of a tech/comp related forum.

I actually agree with you on certain points. But you are talking about issues beyond the scope of a computers and tech forum. I say this from a father of an 8 year old,with a facebook account.
    You are discussing an issue that recks my head..in a good way!That for an entire generation Facebook IS the internet, devoid of wekipedia,devoid of chans, a closeted view of the internet based on add-ons and adware related advertising .
    But I think this issue is,as stated, beyond the controll of a tech/comp related forum.

Indeed, it's a discussion for a completely different forum most likely.

Just wanted to mention it as Google + is just another in a long line of the "next best thing" (possibly) and one which (again) people think is gonna be more "adult" orientated and while my concerns aren't essentially "technical" they are very closely tied to what is being discussed here. (Google + Discussion thread)

Just wanted to mention it as Google + is just another in a long line of the "next best thing" (possibly) and one which (again) people think is gonna be more "adult" orientated and while my concerns aren't essentially "technical" they are very closely tied to what is being discussed here. (Google + Discussion thread)

As I have said...I am not disagreeing with what you say,,,just thinking thing there is no point diverting a tech/discussion thread onto an unrelated theme.
    If you feel strongly enough on this point then..take a breath and post a new thread on the effects of social networking sites on young people.I think you will find that I agree with a lot of your thoughts.
    I will also argue a great deal about free will in all of this, and that if people get stuck in a web reboot loop...then in fairness thats their lot.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Have to say I like it. Only time will tell if the majority of my mates will migrate though. The android app and how it develops will probably be a deciding factor for most of us that already use facebook, whats app and viber.

LoGiE wrote: »
    Have to say I like it. Only time will tell if the majority of my mates will migrate though. The android app and how it develops will probably be a deciding factor for most of us that already use facebook, whats app and viber.

I be honest dude. I dont get the obsession with beating facebook. If you are happy with facebook then stay with face book.Why would you want to move? Also why so app happy?Todays app is tomors intergrated software?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

I be honest dude. I dont get the obsession with beating facebook. If you are happy with facebook then stay with face book.Why would you want to move? Also why so app happy?Todays app is tomors intergrated software?

Is it not obvious that most people aren't happy with facebook and want something fresh!
    Google will be able to use their vast array of other services to provide a far superior service to facebook!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

ShaneU wrote: »
    Biggest advantage it has over facebook is segregating who your updates go to. I'd expect facebook to implement something similar soon because it's very useful.

You can already do that in Facebook, functionality has been there for a long time. Just click on the padlock and select the list to send the update to. The Facebook implementation even goes one better and lets you exclude a subgroup. So you could send an update to your friends list, but exclude one particular person or everyone who appears in another list, eg family.

Fair point. If you want to let rip I ,for one would be interested!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

So far for me the big winner of the whole thing is the Android app.
    Fast to load and much nicer to use than the Facebook app

red menace wrote: »
    So far for me the big winner of the whole thing is the Android app.
    Fast to load and much nicer to use than the Facebook app

Big winner of what?
    I would expect the android app to be well polished for google + , seeing as they "own" all the main components (Android, Google + and the app itself)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Big winner of what?
    I would expect the android app to be well polished for google + , seeing as they "own" all the main components (Android, Google + and the app itself)

Winner was the wrong word.

Big factor in me switching from Facebook to Plus

Sorry should have been more clear
    The social networking apps, it's street ahead of the facebook one

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Well....I'm closing my facebook account this week. Wasn't really using facebook. About 25% of my facebook friends have migrated / have a g+ account. I expect that to increase over time. A few things swung it for me:

circles
    privacy / ownership
    android integration
    I don't like facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

There are a few reasons why I don't have Facebook.

1. I don't want people to be able to track me down and try to add me without my permission. Is there a way in Google Plus that I can completely block my existence to strangers? I don't want to have Johnies I don't like from trying to add me and get annoyed because I have no wish to speak to them.
    2. Is there a way that I can protect my privacy on pictures? i.e. if someone tags me, can I prevent people not on my friends list seeing those pictures? Can I also categorize photos too, i.e. prevent some people from seeing certain photos?
    3. I understand that you can categorize your friends into groups, does that mean I can prevent my boss from seeing updates from me crying about a hangover from the night before, etc?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

1. No anyone can add you. You can set it that only people in your circles or in certain circles can see details in your profile. You can also stop your profile appearing in searches.
    2. You can share photos With either the whole Internet, certain people or certain circles. I think you can stop yourself being tagged.
    3. Yes you can limit who can view a post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

I reckon Google+ could easily take over from Facebook...Just like how Facebook did to Bebo.

These things go in cycles and Facebook is becoming more like Bebo everyday in the way its starting to get on peoples nerves, all the spam via the messaging system...also the new chat is seriously wrecking my head.

Something will take over from Facebook one day, but weather its going to be Google+. I think we'll have to wait and see?

Also how do the privacy options on Google+ compare to Facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

1. No anyone can add you. You can set it that only people in your circles or in certain circles can see details in your profile. You can also stop your profile appearing in searches.
    2. You can share photos With either the whole Internet, certain people or certain circles. I think you can stop yourself being tagged.
    3. Yes you can limit who can view a post.

Yeah that is one big advantage of G+ you can confirm photo tags which on facebook can be very annoying and dangerous!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

IF anyone can invite me to G+ please let me know via PM..I would love a chance to build a new FB style friend list from scratch...if you have friends and family across the world its a handy tool for sharing things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

bastados wrote: »
    IF anyone can invite me to G+ please let me know via PM..I would love a chance to build a new FB style friend list from scratch...if you have friends and family across the world its a handy tool for sharing things.

I can, pm your email address

Advertisement