Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1 Eastern Sierra Sunset, 6 different views

• 08-07-2011 7:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

First of all, thanks to all those who offered advice on what I thought was a catastrophic LR3 implosion. My RAW files have all been found.

On July 4th, I was driving down the 395 w/my g/f, much later than usual, and as we were approaching Independence, CA, the clouds were indicating it would be a mutha of a sunset. We decided to pull in to the Alabama Hills by Lone Pine if the color and clouds held by the time we got to Lone Pine.

None of these have had color/saturation mods, only slight contrast and white balance tweaks.

I have stopped numerous times on Black Rock Springs Rd., since it offers really nice, wide-open views of the eastern escarpment and the valley, and can often include shifting light/weather system changes with a grander, more cinematic perspective than other areas where one can just pull off the 395.

The only problem is that often its hazy from northerlies that blow up dust from the lake bed of Owens Lake, so in between quick rain fronts is the best time to catch decent atmospheric conditions. This is just north of Independence, the first indications we had the the clouds/light/sunset might be good. The mountain most of the light is on is Mt. Williamson.

RedoneEasternEscarpmentpre-sunset1of11.jpg

The first shot taken after we entered the Alabama Hills, taken from the turn-around that people usually use for the hike to Mobius Arch. Sort of a pre-sunset view of the clouds over Mt. Whitney. Whitney is the formation almost in the middle of range.

Whitneypre-sunset1of1.jpg

Relatively same view/clouds, as the light starts to intensify. I didn't want it to be too Maxfield Parrish-y, but it sort of turned out that way.

Whitneypre-sunset2.jpg

Color starting to turn, w/Lone Pine Peak to the left and Mt. Whitney to the right with the peach clouds next to it.

LonePinePeakWhitneySunset1of1-1.jpg

Turning around 180 degrees from where I was, looking east towards the Inyo Mountains.

InyoSunset.jpg

Finally, looking north, with the good luck to have separation between the color layers and clouds, making for a high contrast shot that's not the forte of the small sensor of the LX5, but I tried. The mountain to the left is Mt. Williamson. If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve this shot, I welcome them.

MtWilliamsonSettingSun.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I feel like I want to keep looking upwards because there is so much sky in them, like I want to tilt my head back and keep wanting to see more at the bottom of the frame if that makes any sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

pete4130 wrote: »
    I feel like I want to keep looking upwards because there is so much sky in them, like I want to tilt my head back and keep wanting to see more at the bottom of the frame if that makes any sense?

yeh i get you. number 1 is nice, needs some shop tho imo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

pete4130 wrote: »

Yeah, that makes sense, but as you can tell by the mountains, and the contrast, the sky was where it was going off. Anything you don't see in the frame was basically just black rock and scrub brush that was left out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

initially saw on an iphone so got a better look now. I really like the 1st shot.

Advertisement