Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for good plumber portlaoise area

Options
  • 08-07-2011 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

for a few bits in the house

fit power shower need to be fitted to wall water pipe brought from tank in attic and connected to electrics / electrics already ran.

fit a shower mixer to bath - have shower mixer got easy enough job

seal a small leak on toilet main in pipe.

and mabey fit a new kitchen tap thats leaking (would need to buy this)

based in portlaoise anyone got any recommendations?

tks
    neonitrix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Paul Meredith is from town and I hear good things about him. Had a simple problem with heating and he fixed it in two mins and charged 30 for the call out. Google for his number.

I Was completely ripped off by a plumber last year. way overcharged me for a few jobs and after he left I had to get other guy to fix it because he did not return my calls. / rant
    I guess it's against the charter rules to name him but he is from Rosenallis and his initials are GL.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

Bicky wrote: »
    Paul Meredith is from town and I hear good things about him. Had a simple problem with heating and he fixed it in two mins and charged 30 for the call out. Google for his number.

I Was completely ripped off by a plumber last year. way overcharged me for a few jobs and after he left I had to get other guy to fix it because he did not return my calls. / rant
    I guess it's against the charter rules to name him but he is from Rosenallis and his initials are GL.

thanks for the info and warning.

Neonitrix

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

My bf is a mastercraftsman plumber here in Portlaoise, gimme a ppm of you want him to call over and give a quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Tom Kavanagh, 087 2858551.

Top class plumber IMHO and won't be beaten on price either.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

javagal wrote: »
    My bf is a mastercraftsman plumber here in Portlaoise, gimme a ppm of you want him to call over and give a quote.

Just as a matter of interest what is the difference between a plumber and a mater craftsman plumber?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Bicky wrote: »

Yep I agree he is excellent and is very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

moose112 wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest what is the difference between a plumber and a mater craftsman plumber?

There is a National Guild of master craftsmen.
    http://www.nationalguild.ie/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

In theory (like alot of these bodies) they ensure a higher level of service.

Having said that, based on a quick browse of the members and the general opinions of them locally, they vary for Laois from the excellent to the absolutely appalling.

Granted if people don't complain then the Guild won't be aware of the issues and we as a nation don't really complain enough formally i.e. writing to the governing body as opposed to whinging down the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kizzyf

looking for plumber too and all I'm hearing from people are names to steer clear of. Could people pm me those that they'd recommend. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

just to update:

I ended up getting Paul Meridith to call out on recommendation from this thread nice chap and reasonable prices.

i did have trouble finding a number for him so if anyone else needs it pm me.

he looked at toilet which was constantly flowing into the bowl ballcock related, fit a shut off onto the toilet feed and fitted shower mixer taps to the bath. didnt use any parts except shutoff valve and some washers.

charged me 65 quid which i think was ok.

hope its of use

neonitrix

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Holiers

in case anyone else is wondering, we've used Portalise Gas and Oil a few times and found them good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement