Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyre pressure??????

• 08-07-2011 8:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    New to road cycling and have only taken delivery of my first road bike this evening (Giant Defy 4).
    Dont want to seem a fool by asking this (but have to!!!) and apoligies in advance for its stupidness but how hard should the tyres be. These have arrived rock have and are breaking my back on these irish roads. Can I let a small bit of pressure out like an off road bike for comfort or just something to get use off??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

If you let pressure out you are much more likely to get punctures! I would always run 100psi+ to avoid this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I ride 100psi+, usually 120. Maybe i would lower it to 90psi in winter.

Tbh, you'll just have to get used to it. It's going to be a shaking ride no matter what!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

Without knowing all the details, my advice would be not to reduce the pressure. Hopefully, the shop which sold you the bike hasn't overinflated the tyres. They are 700x25mm (correct me if I'm wrong), so they should be at fairly high pressure. If you reduce the pressure much below 100psi, you risk damaging the rim on the next pothole you hit, especially if you are a heavier rider.

If you have a pressure guage, check the pressure yourself and compare it to the markings on the tyre sidewall, which should provide some indication of the min/max pressure. Don't go below the min.

Did the shop carry out a proper bike fitting for you? On a road bike, the relationship between the height of the saddle and handlebars is important. A reasonable proportion of your weight should be taken by the bars, to give good weight distribution. If your riding position is too upright it will feel harsh and a lot of road shock will be transmitted up your spine.

Really, it's a brand new bike and you've only just thrown your leg over it. Give yourself a chance to get used to it. If it's still giving you grief in a couple of weeks, say, bring it back to the shop and ask them to check the fit. Or if you're really stuck, come back here for some more free and dodgy advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

jod1983 wrote: »
    These have arrived rock have and are breaking my back on these irish roads.

Are you wearing cycling shorts? I wore normal shorts for the first while (before I owned cycling shorts). They make a big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭jod1983

Thanks for the replies folks.
    To answer your questions:
    Got a proper fitting alright, but done in a nice smooth car park. Will check pressures tomorrow.
    Havent got shorts yet but will try and get over the weekend.
    Always been a guy who wanted to run before i could walk, so ill give it a go.

Any recommendations on non clip cycling shoes. Ankle and foot were all over the place.
    And any good apps for the iphone 4 in gps terms for cycling??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

I would say go to the max recommended on the tyre. Look on the wall and it says it there.

BTw on my tubulars for racing I get about 170psi in but they can do 200psi....I just dont have a pump that can that...

If you are a leisure cyclist then I would recommend every week inflate to the correct pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

jod1983 wrote: »

Any recommendations on non clip cycling shoes. Ankle and foot were all over the place.
    And any good apps for the iphone 4 in gps terms for cycling??

Not sure on the shoes but I have mapmyride on my iphone. My battery is on the way out so I've only got it working for an hour, but a few people use it here and it does a good job.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

The padded shorts make a huge difference, as does putting the miles in and getting used to it. I also got one of these which has saved me plenty of ass and back pain on longer rides, and ride a wider tyre (32mm at 60psi) on a hybrid, but this all comes at the expense of significant speed loss, and more work going up hills. Dead comfy for long spins, but slower than a snail having a slow day.

p0113441.jpg

Advertisement