Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ethiopia buys 200 tanks 4 over €100 Million

• 08-07-2011 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭

What are they going to do with these?
    IF you where the Chief of staff of Ethiopia and you had a 100 million to spend would you buy these?

Ethiopia has ordered more than 200 T-72 tanks worth over US$100 million from Ukraine in one of the largest contracts signed by the Ukrainian arms exporter in more than 15 years.

Ukrspecexport SC, the state controlled arms export, signed the contract with the Defence Ministry of Ethiopia yesterday, reports the Ukrinform news agency.

Interfax and Ukrainian sources suggest the Ethiopian order will most likely be made up of upgraded T-72s.
    http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16120:ethiopia-buys-200-t-72-tanks-from-ukraine&catid=50:Land&Itemid=105

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Charity starts at home, I wouldn't give a cent to that country, Its only about to repeat the same mistakes as the 80's again, Their government never learned from the past, Disgraceful really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

It would seem they have a poor understanding of how one wages the war on hunger.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

"It has a range of 100-4 000 metres and firing requires the tank to be stationary."

And what makes a better target than a stationary tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

charlemont wrote: »
    Charity starts at home, I wouldn't give a cent to that country, Its only about to repeat the same mistakes as the 80's again, Their government never learned from the past, Disgraceful really.
    I'm no bleeding heart, but for a start most people in Ethiopia don't get to choose their government and secondly, the famine was in many ways deliberately caused by the government cabal. If we had been offered assistance in the 1840s we'd have gladly accepted it, even if our government rejected the offer.

As for the tanks, Ethiopia is surrounded by hostile and chaotic neighbours, and also its long running enemy in Eritrea. They are also arguably a US proxy in the war in Somalia - I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the US are paying for much of this as a thank you for Ethiopian efforts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

johngalway wrote: »
    "It has a range of 100-4 000 metres and firing requires the tank to be stationary."

It can fire on the move just not as accuarate as stationary
    hmmm wrote: »
    I'm no bleeding heart, but for a start most people in Ethiopia don't get to choose their government and secondly, the famine was in many ways deliberately caused by the government cabal. If we had been offered assistance in the 1840s we'd have gladly accepted it, even if our government rejected the offer.

As for the tanks, Ethiopia is surrounded by hostile and chaotic neighbours, and also its long running enemy in Eritrea. They are also arguably a US proxy in the war in Somalia - I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the US are paying for much of this as a thank you for Ethiopian efforts.

Is the T-72 the best weapon to buy
    surely they would be better off buying lighter more mobile AFV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭steevee

it's probably as much to do with the bling factor as operational needs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

johngalway wrote: »

Not to mention because of the restricted space the maximum height of a crew member is 5'4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Is the T-72 the best weapon to buy
    surely they would be better off buying lighter more mobile AFV

If the other side has T-55s then I suppose its you don't need to much to have an edge on it. As well, the repair facilities in Ethopia probably aren't too great so its better to have something basic that works rather than something fancy that breaks down and theres no suitable mechs to fix it.

It has to be borne in mind that Ethopia has a huge area of land to defend and hostile borders on 2, if not 3 sides.

Also, Ukraine may have been one of the few countries that would actually sell to Ethopia, I can see any of the other major tank producers like the US, UK, France, etc exporting to Ethopia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Why is their credit no good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭booom

not as good as the saudi's apparently- they're in the process of getting leopard 2's from germany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Dead simple.For every dollar they spend on tanks, you deduct a dollar from the Irish Aid budget.When they realise that they can't eat tanks, resume aid donations. Apart from that, get the International War Crimes tribunal to charge the entire Ethiopian Government with the crime against humanity of genocide against it's own people. When they start filling out jail cells, it might change their tune. Governments of that nature are entirely cynical about famine in their countries and don't give a ****.Start closing down a few selected foreign bank accounts and see what happens.
    regards
    Stovepipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

putting the quality of the tanks aside, its a discrace that a country with so many of its people starving and dying is spending so much money on military hardware. ofcourse every country has a right to defend itself but when a bankrupt country like Ireland is giving millions in aid , and has been for decades, it leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

when Irish people starved in the 1840s millions worth of food was exported to Britain at the expence of the Irish population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

We give 30 millions approx a year to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

One of the reasons I won't give money to African charities. When I see ads from Concern saying they can end hunger. I almost puke. I remember 24 hour fasts for Concern. They were going to end hunger. I was young idealistic, we all were. That was 1975. I remember Live Aid. I remember Bob Geldof effing people to give money. I did and harassed people to do so as well.

I wonder what happened in those 36 years since 1975. Nothing apparently. They are still starving. What country doesn't evolve in that time scale? It bothers me that my money might have helped buy a tank or a Mig or an Ak47. Military enthusiast though I am that bothers me.

Don't give money to African charities. Give it to people who will benefit, anywhere in the world. Don't subsidise African despots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

hmmm wrote: »

As one who has lived and worked in Ethiopia, this is the closest to reality that I've read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

xflyer wrote: »
    One of the reasons I won't give money to African charities. When I see ads from Concern saying they can end hunger. I almost puke. I remember 24 hour fasts for Concern. They were going to end hunger. I was young idealistic, we all were. That was 1975. I remember Live Aid. I remember Bob Geldof effing people to give money. I did and harassed people to do so as well.

I wonder what happened in those 36 years since 1975. Nothing apparently. They are still starving. What country doesn't evolve in that time scale? It bothers me that my money might have helped buy a tank or a Mig or an Ak47. Military enthusiast though I am that bothers me.

Don't give money to African charities. Give it to people who will benefit, anywhere in the world. Don't subsidise African despots.

Your point is valid if a little misinformed.

Unfortunately it contains one flaw, you assume that money donated to relief agencies and NGOs such as Concern enables these Governments to redirect the equivelant funds on weapons etc.

The reality on the ground is that the Gov. will spend these funds regardless of the plight of their people, the NGOs step in to help people that would have got nothing either way.

Any money donated does not enable a Gov to buy weapons etc, it goes directly to the needy.

I don't work for an NGO, I have however lived and worked in several African countries and have witnessed things at first hand.

Cheers,

PS, I'd be very interested in you providing evidence of Concern claiming they can end hunger. Urban myth I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Once upon a time in Zambia I went to the cash and carry to re-stock a mates shop. I saw a few pallets of condoms. On the side of each box was written "A gift from the people of Denmark". I always wondered did the people of Denmark intend to donate money so their gift could end up in a private cash and carry being sold to and by private shops.

Sadly most people I know that ever lived in Africa donate money directly to church's and individuals they know on the ground engaging in small country's. Bob Geldof himself stated in the entire continent there was not one politician he would elect.

Advertisement