Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSVita megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Are they on display in all stores or whats the story?

I've heard that all the GAME stores have them, or should have them. The staff near the counter in the Galway one was letting a customer have a demo, and I got to try it after. They didn't have a docking station or anything, I'd say your best bet is to try your local store and ask at the desk if they have one to demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Played with it today. Lovely piece of kit but the loading times are, and I'm not exaggerating, completely ridiculous.

To be honest, the original psp gave me way more of a "wow" factor than this did, as did the 3ds.

Definitely not a launch day release but might pick it up at christmas if the price has come down enough and the games line up is strong enough.

Really? The first time I tried a 3DS all I saw was a blurry display no matter where I moved my head or how much I fiddled with the 3D strength. Left me completely underwhelmed and re-affirmed my stance on a no-buy.

Will have to try the Vita out next time I'm in town. Are they only in GAME stores or in Gamestop and HMV too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

A friend of mine just told me that he ordered his Vita. Followed by me asking what games. Response was "Most of the launch titles... So 18......" :O He doesn't get out alot. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Corkfeen wrote: »
    A friend of mine just told me that he ordered his Vita. Followed by me asking with what games. Response was "Most of the launch titles... So 18......" :O He doesn't get out alot. :D

Hehe :-D...........................Oh dear I only ordered one title which was fifa,that will cost him a fair bit I'd say :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Corkfeen wrote: »
    A friend of mine just told me that he ordered his Vita. Followed by me asking what games. Response was "Most of the launch titles... So 18......" :O He doesn't get out alot. :D

jesus, fools and money and all that...

i want to get one, but misses stoping me any way she can... i will try to get one on launch, but so far it looks like ill get it late.

few reasons:

launch titles
    no netflix on launch
    no ps1 titles, only minis etc
    not much info on remote play with ps3.

i really want it and i will deffo get it, but dunno if i am getting it at launch :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

not much info on remote play with ps3.

I'd imagine it'll work on any games that officially support it? I suppose Sony could also issue tiny updates for the games that don't officially support it...to, officially support it if you get me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Out on the 22nd... my birthdays on the 25th so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Had a look at the pricing on GameStop earlier - think that for the moment I am going to stay away based on what I read there.

Initially seeing games at 28E I thought - wow that is more than reasonable, glad Sony learnt from the PSP and 3DS - but then I scrolled down....
    With the price of getting a decent game, a good sized memory card, peripherals eg screen protector / case / spare power etc this would more than put a dent in anyone's wallet.

Ideally I would have loved one for the remote capabilities of playing games from my PS3 - but I just cannot justify spending that amount. I think instead I will put my readies to one side and either invest in a 2nd PS3 for the spare room or look at getting a projector to enjoy the movies and gaming on in the main room.

Shame really - maybe if it drops in price (quite a bit in price) I might consider getting another handheld, but with my PSP sitting idle now for 2 years I think maybe the two options above might be the wiser course of action for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Lads tell me more about remote play .

mixednuts wrote: »
    Lads tell me more about remote play .

You buy dark souls on ps3z
    Setup link between ps3 and ps vita
    Then play dark souls on your ps vita as long as your ps 3 amd vita are connected to wifi.

That is the main selling point for me. Misses watches her crap on telly before bed, so no way I can play consoles. With this? Yes please!

Unfortunately info is very tight atm about it. Sony said in some statemts that it will support all ps3 library, then it said it will support only some etc..

• Advertisement

You buy dark souls on ps3z
    Setup link between ps3 and ps vita
    Then play dark souls on your ps vita as long as your ps 3 amd vita are connected to wifi.

That is the main selling point for me. Misses watches her crap on telly before bed, so no way I can play consoles. With this? Yes please!

Unfortunately info is very tight atm about it. Sony said in some statemts that it will support all ps3 library, then it said it will support only some etc..

Yes the could just make me want one .

So let's just say I'm in work ;) and my PS3 is on at home . I could essentially connect remotely into it , fire up BF3 and play BF3 multiplayer on line ? as if I'm sitting in front of it at home .

Also I'm guessing I could also access my NAS and the media on that aswell so I could also watch a movie say on the Vista that's on my NAS at home ?

So let's just say I'm in work ;) and my PS3 is on at home . I could essentially connect remotely into it , fire up BF3 and play BF3 multiplayer on line ? as if I'm sitting in front of it at home .

Also I'm guessing I could also access my NAS and the media on that aswell so I could also watch a movie say on the Vista that's on my NAS at home ?

In theory - yes.

There are videos of bf3 working on remote play, but only single player.

Like I said, it sounds great, but who knows will it work properly or get proper support.

The thing that Netflix is not avelable on launch makes me wonder already.

I bet the load times are only slow cos they're loading off... whatever software Sony provided(in whatever format) I'm not worried.

It's a direct connection via wi-fi, you have to be within range of your PS3. Each game has a file called param.sfo, it's like a config.ini file of sorts. Within this file is the flag, to enable or disable remote play. If this file in a particular game has not got remote play flagged as enabled, I don't know how Sony say the Vita will work with that game.

I think they'd need to push a small update to the games installation files to overwrite it maybe. But info is sketchy, don't be sold on it yet. Also, the param.sfo file is normally a read only file on the bluray disc. Editing it requires the whole game to be installed on the hard disc, on a ps3 running custom firmware, & then to use a 3rd party manager to edit the file as seen here [not in the red box, but in the lower right corner]

22553d1292117099-%5Btutorial%5D-tag-game-backups-require-disc-play-before-loading-them-rename-jpg

I've done it myself with one of my game discs that doesn't support remote play. Installed the game to hdd, changed the flag in the file to enable remote play, & voila, the game streamed beautifully to my PSP.

EnterNow wrote: »
    It's a direct connection via wi-fi, you have to be within range of your PS3. Each game has a file called param.sfo, it's like a config.ini file of sorts. Within this file is the flag, to enable or disable remote play. If this file in a particular game has not got remote play flagged as enabled, I don't know how Sony say the Vita will work with that game.

I think they'd need to push a small update to the games installation files to overwrite it maybe. But info is sketchy, don't be sold on it yet. Also, the param.sfo file is normally a read only file on the bluray disc. Editing it requires the whole game to be installed on the hard disc, on a ps3 running custom firmware, & then to use a 3rd party manager to edit the file as seen here [not in the red box, but in the lower right corner]

22553d1292117099-%5Btutorial%5D-tag-game-backups-require-disc-play-before-loading-them-rename-jpg

I've done it myself with one of my game discs that doesn't support remote play. Installed the game to hdd, changed the flag in the file to enable remote play, & voila, the game streamed beautifully to my PSP.

I see .

So both Vita and PS3 will need to both in range of the same WiFi ?

So coming in remotly over the Internet may not be a runner , and from what I can gather from you post some existing games will need the config files altered to allow a remote play .

Seems not to be crystal clear yet so will hold back for now .

When will these uncertainties likely be confirmed ?

well surely they will make it as easy as plug and play with remote play.

this fiddling with files is an work around at the moment with no official support from sony.

i presume the will be proper sony support which will make it as easy as possible.

I see .

So both Vita and PS3 will need to both in range of the same WiFi ?

So coming in remotly over the Internet may not be a runner , and from what I can gather from you post some existing games will need the config files altered to allow a remote play .

Seems not to be crystal clear yet so will hold back for now .

When will these uncertainties likely be confirmed ?

Yes you'll want both consoles within range of each other. If it were possible to log in from work & remote play over the internet, the lag would make the games unplayable. Imagine an enemy shot at you - that's processed by the PS3, sent over the network to your Vita through several hops, you see your under fire & take avoiding action, this information is sent over several hops back to your ps3, in game then your character moves. It'd never work properly, it does in onlive because of the high compression proprietary system they have in place...but remote play is just a fancy mpeg stream.
    well surely they will make it as easy as plug and play with remote play.

this fiddling with files is an work around at the moment with no official support from sony.

i presume the will be proper sony support which will make it as easy as possible.

My point was, that for remote play to work, it has to be enabled in the param.sfo file. This file, is normally a read only file on the game disc. So Sony will have to come up with a way of bypassing this & enabling remote play on games that don't officially support it. Until they're more clear about how they're gonna do it...it's not fair leave the details vague & use it as a selling point. As it stands currently, Remote Play will work on Vita but only on games that support Remote Play, exactly the same as the PSP.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Yes you'll want both consoles within range of each other. If it were possible to log in from work & remote play over the internet, the lag would make the games unplayable. Imagine an enemy shot at you - that's processed by the PS3, sent over the network to your Vita through several hops, you see your under fire & take avoiding action, this information is sent over several hops back to your ps3, in game then your character moves. It'd never work properly, it does in onlive because of the high compression proprietary system they have in place...but remote play is just a fancy mpeg stream.

My point was, that for remote play to work, it has to be enabled in the param.sfo file. This file, is normally a read only file on the game disc. So Sony will have to come up with a way of bypassing this & enabling remote play on games that don't officially support it. Until they're more clear about how they're gonna do it...it's not fair leave the details vague & use it as a selling point. As it stands currently, Remote Play will work on Vita but only on games that support Remote Play, exactly the same as the PSP.

well that was on of the reasons to hold back on it m8. it is really very low on info with how it will work and which stuff will it support. i dont want to buy ps vita to be able to play ps3 games on remote play, and find out that sony just goes meh with that function...

i have my suspicions with ps3/vita remote play in one way... wii u is out this year, xbox next year, so sony will deffo have something in between too. so..... will they be bothered puting support on remote play on old hardware like ps3? surely, they wont invest in to hardware which is to be replaced soonish.

will they be bothered puting support on remote play on old hardware like ps3? surely, they wont invest in to hardware which is to be replaced soonish.

Well I'm no programmer, but I'm sure Sony could force enable remote play by means of a tiny update which amends the games installation files. Of course that's fine for first party titles, but when it comes to 3rd party games it might get somewhat messy because of permissions etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Damien360

I got to play with a PSVita today in Game, Liffey valley for a few minutes.

Very nice unit. Bigger in size than PSP but much lighter. The touch screen interface is very nice. It had Uncharted on it and it looked stunning and played lovely.

They will be selling the 16gb card with it for 50 quid. I was told that holds about 8 games. One simple question though that I forgot to ask. There is no UMD drive so is everything download like the ill-fated PSPGo ? That would make game pricing and secondhand games very expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Damien360 wrote: »
    I got to play with a PSVita today in Game, Liffey valley for a few minutes.

Very nice unit. Bigger in size than PSP but much lighter. The touch screen interface is very nice. It had Uncharted on it and it looked stunning and played lovely.

They will be selling the 16gb card with it for 50 quid. I was told that holds about 8 games. One simple question though that I forgot to ask. There is no UMD drive so is everything download like the ill-fated PSPGo ? That would make game pricing and secondhand games very expensive.

Games come on memory sticks a new Sony proprietry media and you can download games to the memory card off PSN

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

On that note, I love the game cases. Very nice and compact, and dare I say it without ruining my macho image, cute!? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

chrislad wrote: »
    On that note, I love the game cases. Very nice and compact, and dare I say it without ruining my macho image, cute!? :)

Agreed! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

chrislad wrote: »

Amazing aren't thay, I was drooling allover the cases in the shops on Saturday, my missus thought I was a complete knob!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DHYNZY

I'm looking to pre-order one in town, where's the best deal? Looking to pick up a wifi with 16GB card but prices seem pretty similar everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Damien360

DHYNZY wrote: »
    I'm looking to pre-order one in town, where's the best deal? Looking to pick up a wifi with 16GB card but prices seem pretty similar everywhere!

The pricing for the bare bones (unit plus card) will always be similar. The differnece will come with the bundle prices and I have'nt seen too many of those. The trade in your existing console prices for new vita should be more competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DHYNZY

Damien360 wrote: »
    The pricing for the bare bones (unit plus card) will always be similar. The differnece will come with the bundle prices and I have'nt seen too many of those. The trade in your existing console prices for new vita should be more competitive.

why has there been a seeming lack of info on bundles in all the stores? tried to get an answer out of GAME earlier about bundles, and he didn't seem to know!

I cant read ball all this thread as i am in work, but if i wanted to get a PS Vita Wifi with Fifa , how much am i looking at ? Also do i have to pay for a memory card ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I cant read ball all this thread as i am in work, but if i wanted to get a PS Vita Wifi with Fifa , how much am i looking at ? Also do i have to pay for a memory card ?

Vita wifi - 255 euros
    FIFA - 45 euros
    Memory card - depend on size but a 4gb would be around 20 euro

• Advertisement

I'm hoping somewhere(HMV) will do the launch games for 40.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement