Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSVita megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

seanob43 wrote: »
    Hmm that's very interesting,did he say anything else?

He said they are definitely getting them in on September (not as in for selling but you know what I mean). So that means you'll be able to walk into the shop round that time and ask them if they have one in the back and try it out. Or they'll probably have them on the little stands for trying out.. So I'm looking forward to September anyway!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭seanob43

Ah fair enough.Thought you were saying the full console was getting released September.Anyway,still good news,mind if write about it on the blog?

Ah fair enough.Thought you were saying the full console was getting released September.Anyway,still good news,mind if write about it on the blog?

Ya that's grand. BUT wait a minute, they said that it would probably release publicly September, so don't get your hopes down yet.

Okay but I seriously doubt that it will get a September release date,we're already in July.
    r

No probs but my only criticism of it is that you should have space between words and full stops and apostrophes.

Example:
    I went into the shop,expecting to see a PS Vita

Corrected version:
    I went into the shop, expecting to see a PS Vita

Hope this helps,
    James.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

rcdk1 wrote: »
    Can't say I'm too impressed by the ad. Would be more inclined to put the money towards a SE Play or an Android tablet.

I don't think you can compare a tablet with a dedicated games machine. Tablets have too much 1-dollar gimmick gaming and simply don't offer good enough (or precise enough) controls for traditional gaming.

I doubt Experia play will have much legs (it's already been used in the same sentence as the n-gage!)

having said that I am fairly biased towards the psp ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

animaX wrote: »
    I don't think you can compare a tablet with a dedicated games machine. Tablets have too much 1-dollar gimmick gaming and simply don't offer good enough (or precise enough) controls for traditional gaming.

I doubt Experia play will have much legs (it's already been used in the same sentence as the n-gage!)

having said that I am fairly biased towards the psp ;-)
    I don't dispute what you've said but I think you may have mis-interpreted my post.

My basic point was that the ad is crap. It implies that the Vita is a social media device with some gaming capability (not a dedicated gaming device). It also implies that to get full use out of the Vita you will need 3G access. In this scenario, I'd look at the Play or a tablet first which are phone/social media devices with some gaming capability.

I realise that the Vita is more than this and like everyone else on this thread, regardless of what I/they might say, I'll be queueing up to have a go.

Ah cool. I agree, the advert is not great. But i guess they need to broaden the target audience beyond us traditional gamers (who are going to buy it anyway regardless of the advert!)

In truth, there aren't many games they could show right now that would really make an impact (maybe uncharted and SFxTekken).

rcdk1 wrote: »
    I don't dispute what you've said but I think you may have mis-interpreted my post.

My basic point was that the ad is crap. It implies that the Vita is a social media device with some gaming capability (not a dedicated gaming device). It also implies that to get full use out of the Vita you will need 3G access. In this scenario, I'd look at the Play or a tablet first which are phone/social media devices with some gaming capability.

I realise that the Vita is more than this and like everyone else on this thread, regardless of what I/they might say, I'll be queueing up to have a go.

This is because Sony are trying to push the social side of the new PS Vita. They had a go with it with the original PSP, but it never took off. There's a huge market for social media devices/hand-held games consoles and that's why Sony's ad is a bit disappointing. Sony more or less already have the market for the games console side of it because most gamers know about it or already have a previous model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

animaX wrote: »
    But i guess they need to broaden the target audience beyond us traditional gamers (who are going to buy it anyway regardless of the advert!)

They've obviously been studying the Nintendo Book Of Blunders, Chapter 1.
    DarkDusk wrote: »
    This is because Sony are trying to push the social side of the new PS Vita. They had a go with it with the original PSP, but it never took off. There's a huge market for social media devices/hand-held games consoles and that's why Sony's ad is a bit disappointing. Sony more or less already have the market for the games console side of it because most gamers know about it or already have a previous model.

I really wish Social Media would just f##k off & invade some other niche, mustard or something. The more focus you have on what other people are blabbering on about, the less focus there is on gaming.

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    They've obviously been studying the Nintendo Book Of Blunders, Chapter 1.

I really wish Social Media would just f##k off & invade some other niche, mustard or something. The more focus you have on what other people are blabbering on about, the less focus there is on gaming.

I wish the Social Media would just f**k off aswell, but it IS the thing that will make $$$ for Sony. People love to communicate with their friends and that's why this ad will make $$$ for Sony by making people in this target market buy the console, ones that haven't bought a games console/ handheld console in their life.

I wish the Social Media would just f**k off aswell, but it IS the thing that will make $$$ for Sony. People love to communicate with their friends and that's why this ad will make $$$ for Sony by making people in this target market buy the console, ones that haven't bought a games console/ handheld console in their life.

No, what made money for Sony was the PS1 & PS2. Solid, cutting edge, pedigree game consoles. This social communcation crap just dilutes the whole experience (PSN & XBL aside of course, they're completely different).

EnterNow wrote: »
    No, what made money for Sony was the PS1 & PS2. Solid, cutting edge, pedigree game consoles. This social communcation crap just dilutes the whole experience (PSN & XBL aside of course, they're completely different).

Gamers will buy it whether or not social media is a feature on the device. I guess we will have to wait and see to find out out if it makes money for Sony.

Gamers will buy it whether or not social media is a feature on the device. I guess we will have to wait and see to find out out if it makes money for Sony.

Having it as a feature is fine though...but promoting it as a social tool with gaming abilities as they have in the ad, that's different. The Xbox 360 has social features, but it isn't dominated by them nor do they dominate its advertisements.

Its too early still to tell, I'm sure it'll be a very impressive little device, I just hope they havn't put too much focus on social communication (oh look, my friend in Brazil has just put his Vita on charge...yay)

Okay guys so who's actually going to buy this thing on launch date?

Okay guys so who's actually going to buy this thing on launch date?

After the 3DS debacle, I'll def be waiting until there's an established game line-up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I'll wait till there is a line up of good games and the new slim version is released. Like right now I just got a PSP 3000 and have all the PSP games to go through. I got a PSP at launch in 2005 and sold it about 4 months later.

I did something similar with the PSP,I've sold it and bought it so many times even I'm confused...:rolleyes:

I don't see the need to wait. Launch version will be the first to be opened up to homebrew/applications/emulators etc which always adds play value and value for money (not talking about pirating the system's games here - personally I prefer to buy physical games for current gen consoles, much more meaningful).

But if it weren't for the snes9x emu on the psp I would never have played final fantasy 6 or chrono trigger :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

just saw this on the gamestop website:

PS-Vita-topBannerIE.jpg

and a release date September first!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Just saw that too. Tbh, I'd say they've just put in a random date off the top of their head but God this would be amazing if true. I'm off traveling in October and was convinced I wouldn't be around for the launch to pick one up before I go and was going to settle with a standard PSP for my travels. Here's hoping.

I'd say if it was coming out September 1st there'd be signs and posters up in every game shop in Ireland stating so though. Has anyone rung Gamestop?

shuffles03 wrote: »
    I'd say if it was coming out September 1st there'd be signs and posters up in every game shop in Ireland stating so though. Has anyone rung Gamestop?

I was in the store the other day and the lad at the counter said they're getting them in on September AND are pretty sure that they will go on sale that month. He was just as surprised about the news as I was!

Sounds good. I rang Gamestop in Rathmines but no answer so I then rang Game in Dundrum and the guy said the end of the year but he sounded like he'd no idea though. Although, would stores not know well in advance if a system was coming in a few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Anyone taking preorders yet

Varik wrote: »
    Anyone taking preorders yet

Amazon of course but they start taking preorders as soon as there are even rumors for a device :rolleyes:

I'm really sceptical of an irish release in september. It just doesn't make sense. Sony said first that it would launch at the holiday season (christmas), they later said that they would probably only be able for a 2011 release in one region. And well-known asian sites are still listing it as december (the US version interestingly).

It would be great if sony were going to surprise the world with an early release but even then september would be pushing it and a euro-launch before any other region?! Are they planning a simultaneous worldwide release?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, September is the month that the PS was released, maybe it has some significance for them.
    Don't want one though, destined to become a glorified paperweight just like the PSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well, September is the month that the PS was released, maybe it has some significance for them.
    Don't want one though, destined to become a glorified paperweight just like the PSP.

PSP was an awesome machine, still is i use mine every day.

• Advertisement

PSP was an awesome machine, still is i use mine every day.

I think the PS is very underrated. It had serious potential, & when relieved of official firmware, you can truly see how universal & well rounded it is. It has serious PS1 compatibility through custom firmware, proper wireless media streaming, much better PS3 remote play features, heck, it can even control the bedroom lights if you have IR recievers.

But like everything from Sony recently, the features that can truly impress & win over people aren't utilised. I think it's only now I've come to see the versatility of the PSP, thorugh custom firmware.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement