Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSVita megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Escher and Logy plus is out in March and I'm pretty sure Shallie in PS3 as well. Not looking good for that backlog :)

Haven't played any of those ones let alone heard of them, it is getting as bad as Final Fantasy for games in the series, wonder will any of the PS2 ones come onto the streaming service when it launches, they were great too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Escher and Logy is the second in the Dusk trilogy which started with Ayesha and Shallie, the third game, hasn't left Japan yet. We'll probably get the plus version of that on Vita in 9 months time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The Vita is not in stock in many retailers in Dublin at the moment. Harvey Norman told me that no one is buying them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

faceman wrote: »
    The Vita is not in stock in many retailers in Dublin at the moment. Harvey Norman told me that no one is buying them!!

That's hardly a shock, is it? I love the machine but it's not what you'd call a success story. Outside of RPGs, Tearaway and Killzone were the last big games released for it and that was well over a year ago for both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Real shame. I am loving mine. The freebies each month have been really good. Love the remote play. My gadget best buy for 2014 was my vita...

Would be tempted to pick up a cheap 2nd one for a spare when the inevitable happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Just finished Danganronpa 2 there. Absolutely loved it. I was saying earlier I wasn't as sure on the characters but just like with the original you get to know them and the quality just keeps improving.

Some of the trial rebuttals were a little difficult to interpret but in general it was really fun.

Looking forward to hearing when Danganronpa: Another Episode comes out here and any future games to the series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

That's hardly a shock, is it? I love the machine but it's not what you'd call a success story. Outside of RPGs, Tearaway and Killzone were the last big games released for it and that was well over a year ago for both of them.

Yeah, great machine, but it's dead now. It exists almost exclusively as an afterthought for ported indies and remote players

Crying shame tbh. Probably came 2 years too early

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

COYVB wrote: »
    Yeah, great machine, but it's dead now. It exists exclusively as an afterthought for ported indies and remote players

Crying shame tbh. Probably came 2 years too early

I would hardly call it dead or an afterthought, last year had great Vita exclusives, it has 350+ games currently in development or that have recently been released.

Very good thread here about upcoming games with lots of screenshots http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969122

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I guess this guy has a point. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Xenji wrote: »
    I would hardly call it dead or an afterthought, last year had great Vita exclusives, it has 350+ games currently in development or that have recently been released.

Very good thread here about upcoming games with lots of screenshots http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969122

The bulk of those titles will be available across the PS family, with cross buys though. Like I said, it's an afterthought, and possibly a contractual obligation of acquiring a PS4 license in many cases.

It's still one of my most used consoles, but it's essentially an irrelevance now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I guess this guy has a point. :(

That extra credit guy is just so clueless. I really hate his Unresearched opinions.

The Vita was sent out to die by Sony is the main problem. Sony were screwed financially so put all their eggs in the PS4 basket. The vita was too far along not to release so they sent it out with near zero fanfare or promotion, they didn't have the money for it.

On the software side they made the same mistake they made with the PSP. Nobody wants console games on their handheld, they want games that work as handheld games. It's something Nintendo do so well and well Sony tried to impress with visuals.

However the big thing is marketing and exposure. It's the same thing the WiiU is suffering from except the WiiU has a terrible name that confuses people so they don't know it exists while Sony don't bother letting people know it exists.

Yup, the amount of folk that just don't know that. Much about it. Just. Convinced a chap in work to get one, all the ps+ games sold it to him.

It is a real shame though, they are going for a song now and if you've ps+ are a great way to get your gaming fix, however, once you start talking extra memory and tell them how much it costs I can see people lose interest almost immediately, I mean you can get a 64gig usb drive online now for around 20 quid, telling someone they habe to pay 5 times that never sits well...

Taltos wrote: »
    Yup, the amount of folk that just don't know that. Much about it. Just. Convinced a chap in work to get one, all the ps+ games sold it to him.

It is a real shame though, they are going for a song now and if you've ps+ are a great way to get your gaming fix, however, once you start talking extra memory and tell them how much it costs I can see people lose interest almost immediately, I mean you can get a 64gig usb drive online now for around 20 quid, telling someone they habe to pay 5 times that never sits well...

Yeah, the memory card issue is a major problem for it and one that's probably really affected casual sales of the console. I only have a 16GB one at the moment and I can't really justify buying a 32GB or 64GB because of the price of them. I'll be honest, the only reason I have one is because I won it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Yeah, the memory card issue is a major problem for it and one that's probably really affected casual sales of the console. I only have a 16GB one at the moment and I can't really justify buying a 32GB or 64GB because of the price of them. I'll be honest, the only reason I have one is because I won it.

Couldn't agree more about the memory card, my son has a Vita since Christmas before last, and because he only has a 16gb card I've slowed down on buying/downloading games for it because its a just a pain swapping games to and from the card, especially when my internet is so slow (combined with PS being slow anyway). He loves his Vita otherwise (though still not as much as his old DS!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Anyone else get an Invite to this "inside ps vita" thing? Not sure what it is but mentioned discount codes down the line.

That actually sounds familiar... Was it a good bit ago or recently that you got the email?

tok9 wrote: »
    That actually sounds familiar... Was it a good bit ago or recently that you got the email?

No just before I posted it

Just searched on my email and I can see two emails regarding inside vita. No codes yet though.

Got the emails back around October.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Mudlan

Thinking about buying Minecraft online for the Vita with the 10% discount but wondering if I can play on my psn friends map at the same time??

If so can it only be done if he's "hosting" or would I be able to play on a shared map even if hes not online?

(Apologies for questions as Ive only ever played the PC version)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 BillyJack319

Apologies if I am posting this in the wrong place but I am considering buying my son a PS Vita. The more i read on this thread, the more confused I am. Can he play his PS4 games on it?
    Is it difficult to set up and do all this cross saving business? Should i maybe get him something else?
    He loves his PS4 so does he really need a PS Vita. He also loves his DS so I was going to replace his DS with the PS Vita because he really got a lot of use out of the nintendo, especially travelling and on holidays etc but Im not sure whether you could do that with the Vita? Also what is the difference between the older Vita and the newer slimmer one? Sorry about all the questions, any advice at all would be appreciated. Like I say, it sounds like you all are speaking a different language on this thread!
    (I got him the Child of Light for Christmas and could not understand why there was no game in the box.... great little keyring though...that's a little example of my gaming knowledge)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Apologies if I am posting this in the wrong place but I am considering buying my son a PS Vita. The more i read on this thread, the more confused I am. Can he play his PS4 games on it?
    Is it difficult to set up and do all this cross saving business? Should i maybe get him something else?
    He loves his PS4 so does he really need a PS Vita. He also loves his DS so I was going to replace his DS with the PS Vita because he really got a lot of use out of the nintendo, especially travelling and on holidays etc but Im not sure whether you could do that with the Vita? Also what is the difference between the older Vita and the newer slimmer one? Sorry about all the questions, any advice at all would be appreciated. Like I say, it sounds like you all are speaking a different language on this thread!
    (I got him the Child of Light for Christmas and could not understand why there was no game in the box.... great little keyring though...that's a little example of my gaming knowledge)

The Vita can play PS4 games, but it is done by remote play, so he has to have the PS4 game playing in his PS4 at the same time as he has his Vita on.

The old Vita had an OLED screen, which looks better than the new LED screen, the new Vita also has better battery life than the old Vita.

The Vita is very simple to set up and use, as for travelling the Vita would last longer charged than the DS.

There is a new version of the DS being released next month the N3DS and it will play all DS, 3DS and N3DS games, it will be around the same price as getting a new Vita.

What sort of games does your son like and what age is he, could help in deciding what console would suit him better or if he needs a Vita.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 BillyJack319

Thanks Xenji. I didnt realise that he woul dhave to play the game in his PS4 at the same time as tryng to paly it on his Vita, which makes me wonder what is the point of it. He likes strategy games, minecraft and football games... Now I'm wondering should i get him the new DS? Although defintiely an extended battery life on a Vita would be a plus. Thanks again.

Thanks Xenji. I didnt realise that he woul dhave to play the game in his PS4 at the same time as tryng to paly it on his Vita, which makes me wonder what is the point of it. ...

That's only for remote play, just one feature.
    You can also play games directly on the vita - via game stick or downloaded.
    See above though about the cost of the memory cards.... If your son has PS+ he will have been offered free games for the vita each month, or voided he chose them too each month he will have a nice back catalog but it's never too late to start, if he missed them though then he'd have to pay for them but each month there are some great bargains as well as the freebies...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Thanks Xenji. I didnt realise that he woul dhave to play the game in his PS4 at the same time as tryng to paly it on his Vita, which makes me wonder what is the point of it. He likes strategy games, minecraft and football games... Now I'm wondering should i get him the new DS? Although defintiely an extended battery life on a Vita would be a plus. Thanks again.

He would be able to play the Vita from anywhere with WiFi I believe and use the PS4. So he could be on an airplane playing games from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Is the remote play functionality up and running? Does it work for all PS4 games?

penev10 wrote: »
    Is the remote play functionality up and running? Does it work for all PS4 games?

Worked on the ps3 but just with a limited set of games.

Works with all ps4 games, and works well too with the ones I've tried

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-28-sony-ending-playstation-vita-maps-near-features
    Sony has announced that it will end support for the PlayStation Vita's Maps and near features in a forthcoming system update.

Maps will be removed automatically as part of a March firmware patch, while near will lose its ability to obtain locations or display maps at all - effectively killing it, too.

The Vita's YouTube app is also set to be retired. Support will be fully removed from 20th April, although the app will no longer be available to download from today, 28th January.

Vita owners will still be able to watch YouTube clips via their browser, albeit with some minor loss of functionality.

Sony has FAQs for both the YouTube and Maps/near changes, although no reason has been given for the impending removals.

However, it's likely that Sony still pays to license the YouTube app for its device - a cost it may be seeking to be cut considering the numbers of customers using it. The same may also be true of its location-based services.

Never really used near or maps but loss of YouTube sucks. Used to use my phone and vita for when the kids wanted to watch YouTube in bed on lazy mornings :(

RedXIV wrote: »
    Never really used near or maps but loss of YouTube sucks. Used to use my phone and vita for when the kids wanted to watch YouTube in bed on lazy mornings :(

Yeah, Youtube is a big loss for it. I'm guessing it's a given we'll never get the Netflx app over here now.

• Advertisement

Yeah, Youtube is a big loss for it. I'm guessing it's a given we'll never get the Netflx app over here now.

Yeah, I guess I'll have to do that workaround at some stage now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement