Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSVita megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭seanob43

EnterNow wrote: »
    PSP was an awesome machine, still is i use mine every day.

I think the PS is very underrated. It had serious potential, & when relieved of official firmware, you can truly see how universal & well rounded it is. It has serious PS1 compatibility through custom firmware, proper wireless media streaming, much better PS3 remote play features, heck, it can even control the bedroom lights if you have IR recievers.

But like everything from Sony recently, the features that can truly impress & win over people aren't utilised. I think it's only now I've come to see the versatility of the PSP, thorugh custom firmware.
    I agree,if Sony let others use the power that the PSP truly had rather than locking them out it wouldn't of been so widely hacked and modded,they essientially dug their own grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

seanob43 wrote: »
    I agree,if Sony let others use the power that the PSP truly had rather than locking them out it wouldn't of been so widely hacked and modded,they essientially dug their own grave.

Firmware 1.0 that was released in Japan at launch did allow homebrew, that didn't last until the US release before someone made a backup manager for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Yeah. The worst case of this that I experienced was with the video-out on the psp slim. Sony stated that it was not possible to output games over the composite connection, only movies. A few months later some russian developers created a plugin to play games over the composite connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Varik wrote: »
    Firmware 1.0 that was released in Japan at launch did allow homebrew, that didn't last until the US release before someone made a backup manager for it.

Homebrew doesn not have to equal backup managers though. Its tough to have one without the other for sure, but a lot of 'homebrew' features shouldn't have seen the need to hack the device in order to achieve them. The PS1 compatibility is far far higher than Sony would have us believe, you shouldn't need CFW for those results. And the below example is textbook of what I'm talking about.
    animaX wrote: »
    Yeah. The worst case of this that I experienced was with the video-out on the psp slim. Sony stated that it was not possible to output games over the composite connection, only movies. A few months later some russian developers created a plugin to play games over the composite connection.

Classic example there. There are many others like it, Sony seems to shoot its left foot, to spite its right in a lot of cases.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Classic example there. There are many others like it, Sony seems to shoot its left foot, to spite its right in a lot of cases.

True. I remember the days when you had to put video files in a ridiculous folder structure in order to play them (MP_ROOT/100MNV01)? Really? I have to manually create this structure?! It wasn't till way later on that they actually gave the standard video folder (coincidentally just as they realised UMD video was dead :P)

I think UMD video was doomed from the beginning by not launching the psp with video out. Why would we buy a movie on UMD when we could buy it on DVD and just convert the movie for psp? Slightly better quality yeah, but still.

I don't mind that the psVita doesn't have video out. That just means more room for processing speed, memory and battery life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

True. I remember the days when you had to put video files in a ridiculous folder structure in order to play them (MP_ROOT/100MNV01)? Really? I have to manually create this structure?! It wasn't till way later on that they actually gave the standard video folder (coincidentally just as they realised UMD video was dead :P)

I think UMD video was doomed from the beginning by not launching the psp with video out. Why would we buy a movie on UMD when we could buy it on DVD and just convert the movie for psp? Slightly better quality yeah, but still.

I don't mind that the psVita doesn't have video out. That just means more room for processing speed, memory and battery life.

That may change over time :p

They've said that the Vita is capable of doing many things the Wii U does after that was revealed and outputting over Wi-fi is possible or bluetooth.

Sony have said that they learned from their mistakes from the original?

Not being biased here or nothing but I'm sure they will find a way to f*ck it up somehow :rolleyes:

Here's another trailer that they just released showing some other features, worth a look if you haven't yet had a chance to go hands-on with the new portable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Solm

shuffles03 wrote: »

Looks interesting, can't wait for the Vita, hope it's released before Christmas, but I doubt it :mad:

Yeh I doubt it too. Would've heard something by now.

It very well might still get released this year as we have two conferences that Sony have said they are attending(TGS and Gamescom)
    Sony have said the release date is to be announced at either one of these

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Anyone want that link again?;):p

No. Please stop shilling your site. If you have info you want to discuss put it on thread, that's what this forum is for.

Cheers.

Here's hoping! When were we told about the original PSP release date? Was it in a similar time frame (Gamescon and TGS)? ie a few weeks before some people on the net think it may be released? Personally, I think it would be way too soon after the announcement. We'll just have to wait and see.

Publisher 505 Games has announced that Supremacy MMA will launch on PlayStation Vita "this Fall" <September, October and November>, and it unlikely that it will be released before the console needed to play it.

Thanks Varik
    Just posted that to the blog, anyone hear about the Vita's RAM getting cut in half?:eek:

There's mixed reports about the ram. Many are saying it hasn't been halved:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-29-sources-question-vita-ram-halved-claim

There's mixed reports about the ram. Many are saying it hasn't been halved:

I think sony are just trying to pull a fast one by saying "sure we never gave official specs so how can it be halved?!". The specs that were initially touted more than likely have been reduced though

vitarumor.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I think I will just stick with my gameboy :o I hope the battery life will be improved over the psp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

RUMOUR: The release date of the Vita may be October 28.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/30/rumor-ps-vita-uk-release-date-outed-by-blockbuster/

I wonder if this may be the reason why Nintendo are dropping the price of the 3DS now. If the Vita is coming out in October, Nintendo need to start driving those sales pronto.

In other news, Sony seem to be really getting behind Indie devs with the Vita. They're loaning out free kits:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-01-sony-loaning-indies-free-vita-dev-kits

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

In other news, Sony seem to be really getting behind Indie devs with the Vita. They're loaning out free kits:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-01-sony-loaning-indies-free-vita-dev-kits

Sony appear to be making all the right moves regarding the Vita, lack of TV-Out and [rumoured] reduced RAM aside. I hope they keep that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Quoted the article for ye phone users:

You could use PlayStation Vita as a controller for PS3 games, Sony has revealed.

This Wii U-like capability was explained by Sony Europe R&D manager Phil Rogers at the Develop Conference 2011.

"What could you do with all of this?" Rogers asked a room of developers and Eurogamer. "Here's a few boring technical ideas: you could drive a display from a PS3 game, for example.

"PS3 can send data down to Vita and Vita can display it. You could use the unique features [of Vita] - gyroscope, touch front and back - as a control device for a PS3 game.

"You can run software on both devices and use the network to sync the game states. And that's pretty good, because you then have the processing power of PS3 doing that work, Vita [doing] fancy graphics - however you want to do it. You're not sacrificing the PS3's CPU to be able to have a rich experience on Vita."

Rogers said this was "a fairly new idea", and encouraged developers to talk to Sony if they have any ideas for it. "Most of the time we'll be OK with it," he said.

Another thing Vita can do is cross-platform play. This was demonstrated with WipEout 2048 on Vita talking to a bespoke compatible build of WipEout HD on PS3. The two games connected via PSN and, after a lengthy wait for the Vita version to load, worked together seamlessly. The PS3 version had a visibly higher frame-rate and was the better looking of the two games, although the difference at a glance was minimal.

Rogers mentioned that pool game Hustle Kings will also support cross-platform play. He also confirmed Vita Remote Play support for platform launch, whenever that will be.

"At launch we're going to have some PSN features that work across both platforms."
    Phil Rogers, manager, Sony Europe R&D
    "At launch we're going to have some PSN features that work across both platforms," said Rogers. "You could access data on each side and access scoreboards, for example. We're building on that.

"Obviously we had to bring certain things on and make sure that servers work against all the features and it doesn't break the PS3 experience, because there's a lot of PS3 users.

"For launch we'll also have Remote Play, which does look good on Vita - I saw an early version of it running recently."

Remote Play allows the Vita to receive encoded video output in real-time from PS3.

One of the more ambitious and alluring PS Vita capabilities is called Continuation Play. This allows a PS3 game to be played and then taken on the move on PS Vita.

"We have a system called Title User Storage, which allows 1MB of data on our servers for games," explained Rogers. "And that can be accessed on both platforms; you can access that same data.

"You can save your game on PS3, go over to Vita, pull that data back and swap it between them, so you can play a game at home, take it on the train and continue."

"You can save your game on PS3, go over to Vita, pull that data back and ... take it on the train and continue."
    Phil Rogers
    Rogers said Ruin, a Diablo-like action RPG, was the only announced PS Vita game that currently uses Continuation Play. "But there's probably a few that we've seen via the support site that we can't talk about," he teased.

"The feature is there," he added. "We've told developers that you can use Title User Storage to push the game data across."

The connection between PS Vita and PS3 will be handled via Wi-Fi and through the PlayStation Network.

"The important thing to note, and people always forget this, is that the Network exists; you don't need fancy cables, you don't need to have that there," said Rogers. "You're connected over an access point; send IP to each other - it just works.

"We did support USB, but [there's] not really much more point for that - wireless is fairly decent."

Further down the line, Rogers said developers will be able to retroactively patch-in support for Vita in existing PS3 games.

He also said Sony was making a concerted effort to encourage developers to use these new ideas arriving with PlayStation Vita.

"There's a push from our third-party team for encouraging licensees to be having those features [cross-platform, continuation play] in game," he said.

Sounds pretty awesome, love the fact that pevious ps3 games can be patched to support remote play/continuation play.

Yeh they really seem to be pulling out all the stops! See you later 3DS!

Yeh they really seem to be pulling out all the stops! See you later 3DS!

3DS is no longer the same price the vita will be, had an $80 price drop just there.

While i will not be getting a 3ds for the foreseeable future, it's no longer a easy comparison for which is better at a $250 price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

In contrast to some previous reports, it seems now that Europe will have to wait until 2012 for vita. Link. To be honest, I always expected a 2012 release over here.

The article for phone users:
    A reliable retail source has revealed to NowGamer that Sony's next-generation handheld, PS Vita, is unlikely to launch in Europe before the end of 2011.

According to the source, who works for a well-known high street retailer, a 2011 European launch was on the cards but has now been delayed, most likely until 2012.

He told us that the PS Vita had previously appeared on an internal pre-order schedule but has now disappeared.

Sony had always targeted a 2011 release, but has yet to confirm a launch window.

The information comes ahead of this month's Gamescom, where the handheld will be playable in public for the first time and where many expect Sony to announce a release date for PS Vita.

In June Sony announced prices of £229 and £279 for the Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi and 3G PS Vita SKUs.

Last week 505 Games announced Supremacy MMA for PS Vita, but later described the 'Fall' and 'Holiday' dates given in its press release as speculative.

We have contacted Sony for comment and await a response.

• Advertisement

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    In contrast to some previous reports, it seems now that Europe will have to wait until 2012 for vita. Link. To be honest, I always expected a 2012 release over here.

The article for phone users:

Someone who works for a high street retailer or an actual high street retailer, nowgamer are probably just trying for page views by reporting contrary to other sites. Hadn't expected it to be October but i'd believe blockbuster over an anonymous source from another retailer.

Sony may say something over in cologne at Gamescom or the Tokyo games show after that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement