Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSVita megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Got Assassins Creed Liberation in the Vita Birthday sale for 9.99 today. Looking forward to giving that a bash later.
    Wanted to get Killzone as well but got darn tooting age old nonsense of not enough space on my memory cards. I might have to delete COD to make space for it, I dont see myself playing COD again.

Havnt played COD but i do have killzone and its fantastic. Well worth a purchase on the current sale.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Got Assassins Creed Liberation in the Vita Birthday sale for 9.99 today.

I got that too, its not a bad game at all and worth it at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭nirvana78

Any advice greatly appreciated. My ten year old has a PS Vita, he's asking me can he have a SIM card? Why would he need one?

Clueless mother

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

nirvana78 wrote: »
    Any advice greatly appreciated. My ten year old has a PS Vita, he's asking me can he have a SIM card? Why would he need one?

Clueless mother

Is it the 3g version maybe?

Is it the 3g version maybe?

Thank you for your reply. I :confused:asked him your question, he proceeded to take out a memory card and told me it was 16g.
    Does that make sense to you? I'm lost 😕

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

Thank you for your reply. I :confused:asked him your question, he proceeded to take out a memory card and told me it was 16g.

Memory card and SIM cards are not the same thing.
    SIM cards are used for mobile phone network access. If the SIM card is in a phone, it's what allows you to communicate. If it's in another device such as a tablet or in this case the PS Vita, it allows the Vita to have wireless internet access when not connected to Wifi. The 3G the other guy mentioned refers to the speed and type of mobile network that the device connects to. This is different to what your kid pulled out - he pulled out a 16GB (gigabyte) memory card, which is a storage device. The 3G and 16GB have nothing at all to do with another, they're two completely different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Thats the 16gig memory card in it. Its used for storing games. Hes probably looking for a mobile sim card like for phone, but just for internet access. Honestly I wouldn't be too bothered getting one, i dont think you can play games over the sim, just download them, browse the web and maybe communicate over psn. As the games are big downloading them would be expensive on a mobile plan.

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    Memory card and SIM cards are not the same thing.
    SIM cards are used for mobile phone network access. If the SIM card is in a phone, it's what allows you to communicate. If it's in another device such as a tablet or in this case the PS Vita, it allows the Vita to have wireless internet access when not connected to Wifi. The 3G the other guy mentioned refers to the speed and type of mobile network that the device connects to. This is different to what your kid pulled out - he pulled out a 16GB (gigabyte) memory card, which is a storage device. The 3G and 16GB have nothing at all to do with another, they're two completely different things.

Ah I see, that makes perfect sense to me now. At the minute he only uses it in the house, so basically if he wanted to use it outside the house, then he would get a SIM card from any network and buy credit for the internet. Thank you for your help.

Ah I see, that makes perfect sense to me now. At the minute he only uses it in the house, so basically if he wanted to use it outside the house, then he would get a SIM card from any network and buy credit for the internet. Thank you for your help.

Pretty much. If you do decide to get him a SIM card, then to make it economical, I suggest telling him to use it only for online play. Tell him to download games and other things only when he's at home and he's connected to Wifi - that way, he avoids any data charges.
    Online play, when compared to downloads or Youtube videos or anything like that, is pretty data light. It's just transmitting to Sony's servers where your character is on the game map, or what moves you made in Tekken or Street Fighter.

Thank you RikuoAmero, great advice I appreciate it very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Just had a thought, I have Final Fantasy A Realm Reborn for the PS4. Never played it. Would that be a good remote play game for the Vita?

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Just had a thought, I have Final Fantasy A Realm Reborn for the PS4. Never played it. Would that be a good remote play game for the Vita?

I played it via remote play and it was grand for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Haven't played my Vita in about 6 months. Looking for a game to play in bed/commuting. Was thinking maybe an RPG. I've never played any JRPGs but loved the old Final Fantasies! Any suggestions? Or likewise, have I missed any must haves since the Vita launched? I only have Uncharted, MGS & Rayman.

I also have a problem with limited editions so boxed preferably would be the way to go. For a JRPG would it be best to import?

The two best options on Vita are Persona 4 Golden and the four Atelier games, Rorona, Totori, Meruru and Ayesha. Best to start with Rorona or Ayesha since they are the start points of their respective trilogies. Freedom Wars and FFX are good but Persona 4 and Atelier are just so much better. The Atelier games are digital only while Persona 4 is physical and digital.

Holy...I just dodged a bullet there.

I ordered a PS Vita from Ebay, second-hand. It came this morning, just about an hour ago. It came with the console and a power lead. I power it on, it has full battery. There is no memory card.
    Like the idiot I am, I immediately proceed to log in with the same PSN+ account as on my PS4. I mess around with it for a few minutes, then decide to try the remote play PS4 feature.
    This is when things got hairy.
    Immediately, the Vita started showing gameplay footage from some footy game. Confused, I back out to the Home screen...which is now in Russian. Worse, the console was playing itself! Even worse, on the TV, it said I had just been logged out of my account.
    Panicking, I immediately go to the PS4, log back in, and change my password. I called Sony Support, who advised me to log in to the account on my PC web browser, and change not only the password (again) but also give it a new email account. I did so, creating a new email account on a webmail service (not saying where).
    Fortunately, my PSN+ account has NO up to date billing information. It did have an old credit card that is now expired. It is not linked to my PayPal, or anything like that. I paid for my + service using a card bought from Gamestop. Thank goodness my paranoia actually paid off.

The weird thing is, is that the Vita, when I powered it on, went through a fresh system startup routine (asking me for my time zone and all that). Has Vita software been cracked? I know the PS3 was hacked a few years by some guy called GeoHot. If so, is there a way for me to completely wipe the Vita, such that this never happens again?

Guess I'm going to have to buy a brand new Vita, and never get a second hand console ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Hi was thinking of buying a vita to accompany my ps4.. What are the main selling points for the vita now? And are they essential to the ps experience

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Folks,

Anyone have any experience of any of these products?

£12.99 - Kelux Fake Controller unit
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/KELUX-Vita-Slim-Controller-Hand/dp/B00NOZINWA/ref=pd_sim_vg_h__13?ie=UTF8&refRID=0C1TX23XD1WXG4P5NY0V

£12.99 - Carry Case
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Double-Compartment-Carry-Case-Vita/dp/B007GYBTGW/ref=sr_1_6?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1424700005&sr=1-6&keywords=sony+ps+vita+case

£7.95 - Lifetime screen protector
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Expert-Shield-Protector-Lifetime-Guarantee/dp/B00ER7V772/ref=pd_sim_vg_h__15?ie=UTF8&refRID=1FMNVGNDWP49FZXP7NDP

Trying to get everything setup for giving this Vita to my son. I figure he'll need a case and screen protector and the above contraption that makes it work more like a normal controller was also recommended to me.

Anyone have any thoughts on these or do you know better products?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Hi was thinking of buying a vita to accompany my ps4.. What are the main selling points for the vita now? And are they essential to the ps experience

There are only 3 reasons to get a Vita if you want it just to accompany your PS4 and they are remote play, cross buy games and the free PS+ games.

Depending on what sort of games you are into, the Vita is a brilliant little console in its own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Xenji wrote: »
    There are only 3 reasons to get a Vita if you want it just to accompany your PS4 and they are remote play, cross buy games and the free PS+ games.

Depending on what sort of games you are into, the Vita is a brilliant little console in its own right.

When the vita launched in had one but lack of games I made decision it wasn't worth keeping but with free games and remote play in am interested again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Lemlin wrote: »
    Folks,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/KELUX-Vita-Slim-Controller-Hand/dp/B00NOZINWA/ref=pd_sim_vg_h__13?ie=UTF8&refRID=0C1TX23XD1WXG4P5NY0V

Trying to get everything setup for giving this Vita to my son. I figure he'll need a case and screen protector and the above contraption that makes it work more like a normal controller was also recommended to me.

Anyone have any thoughts on these or do you know better products?

Yeah I have the hand grip, it's not the same brand but it's same style, I couldn't use the vita for 15min without getting hand cramp so I have this on 100% of the time, can't recommend it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TinCanMan

Just note that if you are getting it for remote play of your PS4 that the Vita doesn't have L2 + R2 buttons so you have to use various areas of the rear touchpad to compensate, which I find truly cumbersome at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

When the vita launched in had one but lack of games I made decision it wasn't worth keeping but with free games and remote play in am interested again

It has really blossomed in the last 18 months, some great games have been released, there are over 350 games that have planned releases in the next 18 months as well, you can see a lot of screens of them here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969122

Xenji wrote: »
    It has really blossomed in the last 18 months, some great games have been released, there are over 350 games that have planned releases in the next 18 months as well, you can see a lot of screens of them here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969122

Nice list there, didn't realise darkest dungeon was coming to vita/ps4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Holy...I just dodged a bullet there.

I ordered a PS Vita from Ebay, second-hand. It came this morning, just about an hour ago. It came with the console and a power lead. I power it on, it has full battery. There is no memory card.
    Like the idiot I am, I immediately proceed to log in with the same PSN+ account as on my PS4. I mess around with it for a few minutes, then decide to try the remote play PS4 feature.
    This is when things got hairy.
    Immediately, the Vita started showing gameplay footage from some footy game. Confused, I back out to the Home screen...which is now in Russian. Worse, the console was playing itself! Even worse, on the TV, it said I had just been logged out of my account.
    Panicking, I immediately go to the PS4, log back in, and change my password. I called Sony Support, who advised me to log in to the account on my PC web browser, and change not only the password (again) but also give it a new email account. I did so, creating a new email account on a webmail service (not saying where).
    Fortunately, my PSN+ account has NO up to date billing information. It did have an old credit card that is now expired. It is not linked to my PayPal, or anything like that. I paid for my + service using a card bought from Gamestop. Thank goodness my paranoia actually paid off.

The weird thing is, is that the Vita, when I powered it on, went through a fresh system startup routine (asking me for my time zone and all that). Has Vita software been cracked? I know the PS3 was hacked a few years by some guy called GeoHot. If so, is there a way for me to completely wipe the Vita, such that this never happens again?

Guess I'm going to have to buy a brand new Vita, and never get a second hand console ever again.

Weird. Maybe it wasn't a hack attempt and it was just paired with the seller's ps4 and that info doesn't get wiped properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Folks,

Yep have similar really handy almost essential imo
    dont have one but if u have a case like above it wont fit in the pouch?
    Yep have similar too really good my screen is still like new

penev10 wrote: »
    Weird. Maybe it wasn't a hack attempt and it was just paired with the seller's ps4 and that info doesn't get wiped properly?

I would think that, except that my PS4 is now no longer the primary PS4 for my PSN+ account. How that happened I don't know, since to deactivate a primary, you have to do it from that specific console.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

cadete wrote: »
    Yep have similar really handy almost essential imo

dont have one but if u have a case like above it wont fit in the pouch?

Yep have similar too really good my screen is still like new

Is the controller type cover no easy to take on and off? I had assumed it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Lads where is the cheapest place to get vita memory cards? It's a pure money racket, bought 4, 8 and 16gb memory cards and they are all full. Can't seem to find any cheap prices on amazon or ebay

da gamer wrote: »
    Lads where is the cheapest place to get vita memory cards? It's a pure money racket, bought 4, 8 and 16gb memory cards and they are all full. Can't seem to find any cheap prices on amazon or ebay

Why don't you just store what you're not currently using on your computer's hard drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Why don't you just store what you're not currently using on your computer's hard drive?

Can I put the free downloaded games onto my hard drive?

• Advertisement

da gamer wrote: »
    Can I put the free downloaded games onto my hard drive?

Yup. https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3842/~/copy-files-on-ps-vita

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement