Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSVita megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Is the batman game worth while getting for the vita for 10 euros ?. On the summer sale.

As I do love the metroidvinna style games and I like batman just wondering if it's worth while playing or not ?.
    Haven't played it myself but the same sale have the Deluxe Version on the PS3 for only €7, which is a bit of a laugh to be honest.

I'm tempted to pick it up myself but my PS Vita backlog is ridiculous, I'm an awful impulse buyer! Some sales on the PS Store for the Vita can be absolute steals, pair that up with a 64GB memory card and you end up buying more than you have time for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

If that means it's restricting PS One games to their original 4:3 ratio, then that's a small win in my books :)

One of those 4:3 fascists are ye? :P Nah I like fullscreening; AND I'll be buying The Wire and X-Files in HD too! ;)

• Guys quick question; I bought an 8gb memory card on ebay for the vita as I'm traveling soon.
    I already have a 4GB card with a couple of games on it.
    Can you simply hotswap the cards and download more games onto the 8gb card without effecting the vita OS?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

Is the batman game worth while getting for the vita for 10 euros ?. On the summer sale.

As I do love the metroidvinna style games and I like batman just wondering if it's worth while playing or not ?.

I liked it. It's nothing particularly special and the map system can be confusing, but I thought the few hours of gameplay were fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wright wrote: »
    One of those 4:3 fascists are ye? :P Nah I like fullscreening; AND I'll be buying The Wire and X-Files in HD too! ;)

Just a more general aspect ratio fascist, no apologies :)

• Advertisement

The difference is that both The Wire and to a lesser degree The X-Files were shot in such a way that they could be shown in widescreen. The HD remasters of the first few episodes of The X-Files on Netflix look really good and The Wire looks very good to. PSOne games were never intended to be played in anything other than 4:3 and as such just don't look right when stretched.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Xenji wrote: »
    Actual Sunlight is coming to the Vita on the 11th of August, it is a Visual Novel with JRPG elements, it is also known as one of the saddest games you will ever play.

Anyone pick this up?

The difference is that both The Wire and to a lesser degree The X-Files were shot in such a way that they could be shown in widescreen. The HD remasters of the first few episodes of The X-Files on Netflix look really good and The Wire looks very good to. PSOne games were never intended to be played in anything other than 4:3 and as such just don't look right when stretched.

Nah, they were filmed using that stock but the intention was 4:3. There is such a thing as shot composition you know :P which lots of 4:3 advocates now are saying is completely gone. X-Files was notorious for this; they'd have cast hanging out just past the 4:3 mark in the shots, and lots of digital cast removal was needed as a result.

Stretched looks perfectly fine to me, especially on a small Vita screen. Couldn't honestly remark on a bigger one for obvious reasons :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Guys quick question; I bought an 8gb memory card on ebay for the vita as I'm traveling soon.
    I already have a 4GB card with a couple of games on it.
    Can you simply hotswap the cards and download more games onto the 8gb card without effecting the vita OS?

Yes.

Nah, they were filmed using that stock but the intention was 4:3. There is such a thing as shot composition you know :P which lots of 4:3 advocates now are saying is completely gone. X-Files was notorious for this; they'd have cast hanging out just past the 4:3 mark in the shots, and lots of digital cast removal was needed as a result.

Stretched looks perfectly fine to me, especially on a small Vita screen. Couldn't honestly remark on a bigger one for obvious reasons :P

I'm well aware as to how they were shot but the Wire was framed so that it could be shown in 16:9. Bob Colesberry pushed David Simon to compose shots for 16:9 as he knew it was the future of the format, The Wire still works best when viewed in 4:3 but the 16:9 version looks damn good too and makes for an interesting comparison. The X-Files has a number of issues with the framing but nowhere near as many as shows life Buffy. A few of the directors on The X-Files shot, not with a wide composition in mind but one that wouldn't look horrendous when stretched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

So still no sign of Netflix on Vita yet?

I'm well aware as to how they were shot but the Wire was framed so that it could be shown in 16:9.

4:3 purists completely disagree with you. I'd love it to be true I love the idea of these remasters.

You can't frame a shot for two aspect ratios; and I doubt they focused on framing for an as of yet almost completely unadopted standard.

Any reason why game of thrones was never released on Vita?

4:3 purists completely disagree with you. I'd love it to be true I love the idea of these remasters.

You can't frame a shot for two aspect ratios; and I doubt they focused on framing for an as of yet almost completely unadopted standard.

It is quite possible to frame a shot so that it can be shown in 4:9 and in 16:9, granted both shots will look different and have different meanings but it's not all that hard to do so. The Wire is a show which was shot with 16:9 and the future in mind and Bob Colesberry who produced the show, pushed for it to be shot in 16:9. I think it was during series 3 that HBO offered them the option to shoot in 16:9 but Simon and Co declined so as to keep the look of the show uniform. Shots were framed so that the 4:3 image could be adapted to 16:9 as Colesberry knew that it was the future.

I'm a aspect ratio purist, if something was shot for 4:3 then I want to experience that way and would love a HD version of The Wire as it aired. I detest what was done to the Shield on DVD where it was stretched and just look dreadful.

It is quite possible to frame a shot so that it can be shown in 4:3 and in 16:9

No, it's not. Using rule of thirds, the most basic of composition theory, which would be much wider on a 16:9 ratio, would've left characters half cut off by the screen in the original 4:3 broadcast. Like the bad VHS transfers of movies back in the day, remember those? But they weren't cut off, they were framed perfectly, hence the shoot was actually all about dat 4:3 despite shooting on larger stock.

Trust me, as an animator planning a short film right now, I am aware of the frustration there. I'd quite like to render it at 21:9, but the adoption is not there, and if I was to produce at 16:9 but just blow out the sides a little, the composition would look squashed and look like ass.

No, it's not. Using rule of thirds, the most basic of composition theory, which would be much wider on a 16:9 ratio, would've left characters half cut off by the screen in the original 4:3 broadcast. Like the bad VHS transfers of movies back in the day, remember those? But they weren't cut off, they were framed perfectly, hence the shoot was actually all about dat 4:3 despite shooting on larger stock.

Trust me, as an animator planning a short film right now, I am aware of the frustration there. I'd quite like to render it at 21:9, but the adoption is not there, and if I was to produce at 16:9 but just blow out the sides a little, the composition would look squashed and look like ass.

I studied film in college and have made a number of shorts and am well aware of the rule of thirds and what not but one can frame a shot for both 4:3 and for 16:9.

Here's a video of the same scene from both versions of the Wire and it's obvious the it was blocked and framed in such a way that the transition to 16:9 would be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

You learn loads in these threads :)

I it's obvious the it was blocked and framed in such a way that the transition to 16:9 would be possible.

Nah all focal points are fairly centred with a lot of emptiness on the sides, where rule of thirds would typically have left focal points. Looks good, cannot wait for my 4th Wire go-round, so glad they shot on 16:9, but shots were simply not planned around 16:9. Same with X-Files. If you can't see that, go back to college :P but this is completely off-topic now.

Nah all focal points are fairly centred with a lot of emptiness on the sides, where rule of thirds would typically have left focal points. Looks good, cannot wait for my 4th Wire go-round, so glad they shot on 16:9, but shots were simply not planned around 16:9. Same with X-Files. If you can't see that, go back to college :P but this is completely off-topic now.

I've watched most of the Wire remaster and it's obvious that a lot of planning went into the planning of shots so that if shown in 16:9 it would look good. Simon and Co shot the show in 4:3 to be shown that way, of that there is no doubt but they also planned for the future and it's evident from how shots are composed.

Compare the 16:9 remaster of The Wire to the Buffy remaster to see what happens when you shoot for 4:3 specifically and then do a remaster. Watch as cameramen are in shot, light stands pop up and characters just stand around looking bored.

The Buffy 16:9 remaster is debacle and it's obvious that it was never intended to ever be shown in anything but 4:3 and as such shots were composed with 16:9 being something that was never even considered.
    Cropping Issues:
    10675647_590284601073832_1816441380857199836_n.png?oh=65d78bc3d0dcbf511eb80d44fd47627c&oe=564A4DC7
    11700718_680345542067737_5852331273795897965_o.png
    10407928_590285624407063_7629511239600979445_n.png?oh=1160daa4824d4b995d50ae40754515cf&oe=568379DD

Here's some crew members and filming equipment:
    11701235_678832472219044_8815566259412419446_n.png?oh=afbaa3f8c42d22b8fd9c7cdf7a723243&oe=5641EFC8
    10858378_590287284406897_6275541755766793661_n.png?oh=bde772db55a787e5c23233740e867dec&oe=56406C1E
    10257335_613259142109711_5313042658686659471_o.png

Brightness issues:
    10447393_590286621073630_7162366785964720669_n.png?oh=2d910ac07883aa7b6f4f48fe12f45383&oe=5639A573
    1450279_593978164037809_7986085239651270858_n.png?oh=a293944f39a31106873dba4404ca50bf&oe=567EA46E

Dude, this is a Vita thread.

David Simon has REPEATEDLY stated the show was intentionally set-up at 4:3 to mimick police procedurals. The show was 16:9 protected, as was X-Files. But the shots were NOT composed for 16:9. There is a difference. And you CANNOT compose shots for the two aspect ratios as the composition obviously stretches out wider in 16:9.

Get over it and stop posting OT.

• Advertisement

Dude, this is a Vita thread.

David Simon has REPEATEDLY stated the show was intentionally set-up at 4:3 to mimick police procedurals. The show was 16:9 protected, as was X-Files. But the shots were NOT composed for 16:9. There is a difference. And you CANNOT compose shots for the two aspect ratios as the composition obviously stretches out wider in 16:9.

I'm aware and I've said that it was shot for 4:3 but composed with 16:9 in mind for the future, which is obvious by ow easy it was for HBO to remaster it in 16:9. It's very easy to frame a shot and compose it so that it can be viewed in both 4:3 and 16:9, evident by a simple viewing of The Wire in HD

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

You can't really give out to someone for posting about a topic that you yourself keep posting about.

So yeah game of thrones Vita?

Anyone pick this up?

Well lets get back on track, picked it up on the US store for $4.99, have not got around to it yet but thoroughly enjoyed it on the PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

weiland79 wrote: »

Is it in 4:3 or 16:9?

There was a video at E3 showing the logos of up coming Vita games, both GoT and Tales from the Borderlands were seen in it, so hopefully an announcement is not far off.

I'm aware and I've said that it was shot for 4:3 but composed with 16:9 in mind for the future, which is obvious by ow easy it was for HBO to remaster it in 16:9. It's very easy to frame a shot and compose it so that it can be viewed in both 4:3 and 16:9, evident by a simple viewing of The Wire in HD

What you are suggesting is not true or possible. Several times you've been requested to get back on topic and haven't. Post reported.

Probably performance issues, Telltales engine is known to be pretty bad on all platforms that can't brute force it.

That or their other titles yielded poor sales on Vita. Considering the amount of times they were on sale I can't see this being the case though it might be.

What you are suggesting is not true or possible. Several times you've been requested to get back on topic and haven't. Post reported.

If it's not possible then how did they manage it with The Wire and if you want to talk about off topic, well it was you who brought us here.

Are here, you're reporting his post? That's ridiculous.

• Advertisement

If it's not possible then how did they manage it with The Wire and if you want to talk about off topic, well it was you who brought us here.

http://www.techhive.com/article/2854439/hbo-remastered-the-wire-in-169-hd-and-it-was-a-lot-harder-than-youd-think.html
    The new version of The Wire, then, will differ both creatively and technically. In certain cases, such as a scene in season two where longshoreman gather around a body, Simon said he believed the added space would add a vulnerability to the scene that wasn’t possible in 4:3. But he describes other scenes where the added space distracts the eye, and the remaster zooms in on the characters to retain that intimacy.

“It is, indeed, an arguable trade-off, but one that reveals the cost of taking something made in one construct and recasting it for another format,” Simon wrote. “And this scene isn’t unique; there are a good number of similar losses in the transfer, as could be expected.”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement