Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long can pass before you are no longer liable to pay a debt back?

Options
  • 08-07-2011 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is even a question that makes sense but I'm nearly positive I heard that if you have a debt that hasn't been chased up by your creditor, you are no longer liable to pay this debt after a certain time frame. Is this right??

Any help appreciated!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

MILF wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is even a question that makes sense but I'm nearly positive I heard that if you have a debt that hasn't been chased up by your creditor, you are no longer liable to pay this debt after a certain time frame. Is this right??

Any help appreciated!

Are you trying to deliberately avoid paying a debt?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Pay the debt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

It is not quite that simple. After 6 years ( or 12 if under seal) the statute of limitations can be pleaded as a defence in an action. Acknowledgement of the debt restart the clock. The debtor always owes the money. Even after the limitation period the creditor may be able to get satisfaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

You should speak to a solicitor or whomever you are in debt to.

We cannot offer you advice on legal matters.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement