Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comreg's new rules

Options
  • 08-07-2011 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭

Comreg quietly released a document outlining new rights for mobile phone consumers. I think many people will be happy with them.
    There have been a number of improvements to consumers’ rights as a result of the new regulations. More information in respect of the details of these rights will be published over time in the consumer section of the ComReg website, http://www.AskComReg.ie. Examples of these enhanced rights are:

• New rules in relation to the consumer’s right to retain their numbers when changing service provider (“porting”) have been introduced. This gives subscribers more predictability in respect of the time taken to change service provider, allowing them to port their number to another service provider within one working day.
    A specific right to compensation for subscribers in the event of delay or abuse of the number porting procedure is provided for.
    • Operators must offer the possibility to subscribe to a contract with a maximum duration of 12 months and other conditions and procedures for contract termination may not act as a disincentive to consumers to changing service provider.
    • An entitlement to improved information to ensure that consumers understand the services they subscribe to and what they can and cannot do with those services. Consumer contracts are also to specify minimum service quality levels offered.
    Improvements on requirements for clarity of communications of contract changes by enabling ComReg to specify the format of notifications of contract changes and additional aspects including the basic level of itemised bills which are to be provided to subscribers free of charge.
    • Provisions relating to access to and equal choice of electronic communications services for users with disabilities have been strengthened and new protections in relation to unsolicited communications have been introduced.

The above does not list all the benefits to consumers of the new regulations but shows a number of key areas of improvement.

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg1148.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

So you'll have a right to a contract of 12 months duration but nothing to prevent the operators from pricing that so it isn't worthwhile to take up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Yes that will be a downside. But at least it stops the networks heading to a USA model of, in some cases, 3 year contracts for free phones. As someone who avoids contracts anyway it isn't of much benefit but I'd hate to see us go down the road of the USA networks.

In light of the recent "accidental" porting of peoples numbers with out their permission, compensation rules will make these accidents occur less often. Not to mention the clearer outlining of changes to T&C. I remember at one point O2 were running two different pages with notifications of changes to T&C. And they both contained different info. So if you were monitoring one you may miss a change that could of allowed you to get out of contract.

Even last year O2 unilaterally moved everyone to online billing. People had to contact O2 to opt back in to paper billing. This was appalling, especially on older people. Comreg forced them to move people back and then ask them if they wanted online billing only. I presume thats why comreg brought in that rule.

I say fair play to comreg. Networks are certainly not our friends and need to be pushed/watched to do anything productive for the consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

wuld this have any effect on someone who's currently in a 24 month contract?

puddles22 wrote: »
    wuld this have any effect on someone who's currently in a 24 month contract?

The right to a 12 month contract option? No I'm afraid not. Only to new or upgrading customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Berks

Just wondering...if 12 month's is the new MAXIMUM contract. Where does Meteor stand with the Iphone offer? (24 months)

https://phones.meteor.ie/phones/apple_iphone_4/

Maybe it was introduced before the new rule?

Berks wrote: »
    Just wondering...if 12 month's is the new MAXIMUM contract. Where does Meteor stand with the Iphone offer? (24 months)

12 months is not the Max contract. The rules state that they must offer you a 12 month as well as 18 and 24 month contracts. But presumably they'll make the phone and possibly the plans cost more on a 12 month contract to make them less attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Berks wrote: »

why would you want to agree to a 24month contract ... there would be at least 2 new versions of the phone out in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Berks

cookie1977 wrote: »
    12 months is not the Max contract. The rules state that they must offer you a 12 month as well as 18 and 24 month contracts. But presumably they'll make the phone and possibly the plans cost more on a 12 month contract to make them less attractive.

Ah rooight, fair enough so
    PCPhoto wrote: »
    why would you want to agree to a 24month contract ... there would be at least 2 new versions of the phone out in that time.

Ha yeah that's a good point. Not a fan of the bill pay options anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

A lot of people see "free" and ignore the rest of the T's & C's, is scary the way they just ignore the bits that don't suit them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Gillo wrote: »
    A lot of people see "free" and ignore the rest of the T's & C's, is scary the way they just ignore the bits that don't suit them.

I'm glad I'm one of the people who question what the "catch" is .... no such thing as a free lunch and all that.

I've refused to change plans (despite o2 telling me it would save me money -and it probably would save me money) - if you change plan they tie you into a new contract, they don't tell you that part until you try to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

It doesn't seem to be just phones, I've noticed once something is "free" people tend to ignore everything else, look at the likes of MBNA with their interest free balance transfers.

It's amazing when even after explaining to people how long they will be tied into contracts and the size of the bills they just say "yeah but the phone is free", the mind boggles.

Just to keep to discussion open or impartial, it's probably best to point out that I work for one of the networks, however I obviously only post my own opinion here.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

New link: http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg1148.pdf

Might be worth looking at if you are thinking of upgrading

I did update the link on post 6 as for some reason I couldn't edit the original post. But thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It's one thing to introduce legislation for 12 month contracts but the government need to ensure that the operators just don't bury the possibility of such to the consumer. The need to ensure that operates are obliged to show all available options in a clear and transparent manner on the websites etc. Just look at the iPhone 4s thread, most are not aware that they're available.

Of course they'll bury it. It's up to individual consumers to argue their rights. and if their rights are being blocked then they need to make formal complaints to comreg who'll deal with it.

Sure only last week comreg found against Vodafone who'd been arbitrarily moving customers to online billing only. Something comreg caught O2 doing almost a year ago and ordered them to stop to. Networks (just like many other businesses) are going to try anything to get the edge unless customers utilise their rights and push back.

The government has created the rights and we've gotta use them or else companies get away with this type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'd say there are a lot of people who would easily get 2 years and more from a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

Saw on another forum that 3 will give you a 12 month contract but will sell the iphone at prepay price. They may be abiding by the law but disincentivising the option. At least contracts over two years are banned, in the US there are networks that give 3 year contracts

It's just like forcing insurance companies to quote people. They will but at such inflated prices you wont take an offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I hope Comreg have the facilities to have a good look at Meteor & Three's new plans as listed on their websites. To me, at any rate, these new plans are far from transparent.

• Advertisement

Unlike a lot of people I think comreg do a good job when things are brought to their attention. They've helped many users and overturned ridiculous decisions by networks over the years. If you feel meteor/three plans are not transparent you should lodge a formal complaint. Or if the complaint suits the ASAI (advertising standard association of Ireland) contact them. Don't just rely on these organisations to notice the unfairness.

www.conreg.ie
    www.asai.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

swampy353 wrote: »
    Saw on another forum that 3 will give you a 12 month contract but will sell the iphone at prepay price.

Same with Vodafone.

I cant following their thinking. say i'm out of contract with Vodafone and looking to upgrade. Why would i sign myself into another 12 month agreement with them for nothing in return?

Same with Vodafone.

I cant following their thinking. say i'm out of contract with Vodafone and looking to upgrade. Why would i sign myself into another 12 month agreement with them for nothing in return?

Their thinking is that they want you on a long contract so they're hoping you'll buckle and sign the 18month one. Remember, most people upgrading wont care about the long contract. So if Vodafone loose a few customers because of their policy it wont affect them substantially.

Advertisement