Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headset adapter for PC headset

• 08-07-2011 10:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hi, i bought a SteelSeries Siberia V2 Full Size Headset presuming it would work with the xbox, turns out it has a normal size (3.5mm) jack for the microphone which you plug into the xbox controller. This is of course too big an i need an adapter, 3.5mm - 2.5mm

Ive been looking around but cant seem to find one, anyone done this before or know where i can get it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

What you need to look for is an adapter that takes two 3.5mms to one 2.5mm as the controller has both input and output. The Triton's AX180 come with a converter. You could ring up their HQ and see if you can buy one if them as a replacement part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

ta lads,

Dunworth, thats exactly what i was looking for but i think Coraven may be right.

At the moment i have one long wire going into the TV and want one to go into the controller. Is it possible to put both 3.5mm's into the headset and hear the game as well as the speech through the controller? Ie cut out the need for the long wire? Would be brilliant if so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Murtinho wrote: »
    ta lads,

Dunworth, thats exactly what i was looking for but i think Coraven may be right.

At the moment i have one long wire going into the TV and want one to go into the controller. Is it possible to put both 3.5mm's into the headset and hear the game as well as the speech through the controller? Ie cut out the need for the long wire? Would be brilliant if so.

no game sound does not come through the controller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

You are correct that game sound does not come out through the controller. However, other players voices and anyone who would be using the mic to communicate with comes through the controller. You can have it come through the speakers, but the volume will be too low to make it out in comparison to the game volume.
    You can get a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter in any music store (sells guitars and audio equipment) for about €3. I'd say give it a go and see what happens.

I had a look at the Tritons and I was wrong as they do not have a converter as I previously thought.

• Advertisement

right lads, im at my wits end with this now.

Firstly i got an extension cord, 3.5 - 3.5 to make the connection from TV to headset longer, doesnt work, fair enough, might be faulty and will get it replaced when the shop reopens next friday. Its like theres a loose wire, it will work one moment, then if you move it a mm it disappears.

The i finally found the adapter, €10 in a little electrical shop, a hama "cable adapter 2.5 stereo - 3.5 stereo". Doesnt work either not a dickie bird, it says it's for headphones, does that make a diference as i need it for a headset of course.

Anyone got any ideas what imdoing wrong?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

here buy this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Speed-Link-Xbox-Live-Headset-Adapter/dp/B0014BIQ32

P,.S......your supposed to use a headset ( headphones+ a mic) which has 2 jacks (pins) you plug both these 3.5,s into the adapter and plug the 2.5 into the controller......but i hav,nt actually bought one of these so...have a look or contact the amazon sellers to make sure its what you want..and that they,ll ship here...(they,r uk based)

denballs wrote: »
    here buy this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Speed-Link-Xbox-Live-Headset-Adapter/dp/B0014BIQ32

P,.S......your supposed to use a headset ( headphones+ a mic) which has 2 jacks (pins) you plug both these 3.5,s into the adapter and plug the 2.5 into the controller......but i hav,nt actually bought one of these so...have a look or contact the amazon sellers to make sure its what you want..and that they,ll ship here...(they,r uk based)

this is what is confusing me. If you plug both headphone & mic adapters into the adapter above and into the controller, then you cant plug the headphone into the TV and get the tv sound direct to your ear? Or am i wrong.

I want to be able to play in silence with the tv volume down to zero but be able to talk, is this not possible?

they are 1 euro here

I may be wrong but from what i understand using the adapter is no different from using a normal xbox headset...I.E...all you will hear through it will be player chat.......if you think because headphones have dual channel (2 earpieces) that it is different....well with this it is not it just has better chat audio........

.........what you may be thinking of would be a special type of 360 headset called a turtlebeach which plays both chat and game audio .......these headsets are comparatively very expensive (at least 50 euro) and are really only good for their in game strategic bonuses.........for example you will hear enemy players footsteps behind you in most games such as COD and GOW2.

All in all......if you just want headphone style ...360 headsets that just play chat get the one in the link above for about 7 euro on ebay.ie or from the first technology boot as you enter the ilac centre from the moore street entrance for 12 euro.

Maplin in dublin city center (beside smyths toy store) is selling the adapter for 15 euro.

• Advertisement

denballs wrote: »
    they are 1 euro here

ta dude, ordered in on thurs last week and it arrived on monday,works a treat

ta dude, ordered in on thurs last week and it arrived on monday,works a treat

and while were at it, i also bought a normal extension for the 3.5mm male from headset into female, extension male into tv female, if you catch my gist!

Any doesnt work, ill bring it back to the shop next day im in, just a faulty extension or?

glad to hear the adapter worked

its odd that it didnt work but only thing i can think of is that it,d be for a different type of 3.5mm jack (you can get a few).........there are ring,s on the jack that connect to receivers on the inside of the female end.....and some jack,s have different ring,s/positions........though yours ..should be standard...its possible the shop gave you a specific speaker type.............

for example there are 3.5mm jacks for charging ipod,s/mp3 players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭King Krib

Hi, i bought a SteelSeries Siberia V2 Full Size Headset presuming it would work with the xbox, turns out it has a normal size (3.5mm) jack for the microphone which you plug into the xbox controller. This is of course too big an i need an adapter, 3.5mm - 2.5mm

Ive been looking around but cant seem to find one, anyone done this before or know where i can get it?
    Just reading your post although its 6 months old but I'm in a similar predicament. I too have just gotten the Siberia V2 to use on ps3. I plug the audio jack into my av receiver. I've been trying to put the Mic jack into my usb port via a usb Skype adapter but this is designed for a 3.5 jack with 3 bands.
    Is it possible to get a 3.5 2 band to 3.5 3 band adapter.

Advertisement