Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHI and the "repeat rule" - what's this?

Options
  • 08-07-2011 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

I had a colonoscopy and treatment in May at the Beacon for which I claimed from VHI. Unfortunately, I need to have the treatment done again because it was not entirely successful. When I spoke to a woman from VHI she told me that they will only pay for one colonoscopy every 36 months "unless the procedure is allowable under the repeat rule" and I should check this with the surgeon prior to having the procedure.

Does anyone know what this means or if it sounds like my case will be allowed? I rang the surgeon today but he was not available. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

I haven't heard it called the repeat rule, but there is a list of medical reasons as to why a repeat colonoscopy would be covered by a health insurer. All health insurers have the same 36 month rule, I think it's based on best medical practice.

The list is in the book that VHI send to consultants every year, so it's probably better to talk to your consultant to see if your case falls into one of those exemptions. For your own sake, ask him to confirm which exemption your case comes in under in case there's any confusion later. FYI, the list is all medical jargon, so don't be afraid to ask him to repeat it often and slowly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

The Beacon could be the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

NuMarvel wrote: »
    I haven't heard it called the repeat rule, but there is a list of medical reasons as to why a repeat colonoscopy would be covered by a health insurer. All health insurers have the same 36 month rule, I think it's based on best medical practice.

The list is in the book that VHI send to consultants every year, so it's probably better to talk to your consultant to see if your case falls into one of those exemptions. For your own sake, ask him to confirm which exemption your case comes in under in case there's any confusion later. FYI, the list is all medical jargon, so don't be afraid to ask him to repeat it often and slowly :)

Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

broker2008 wrote: »
    The Beacon could be the reason.

Why's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭AngryLips

sitstill wrote: »
    Why's that?

Their medical care might be the best money can buy but I've heard their medical treatment is quite the opposite.

• Advertisement
Advertisement