Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

inverter / backlight problem

Options
  • 09-07-2011 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭

Ok, so a while back my girlfriend's laptop packed up... screen was changing colours, horizontal lines, flickering etc....

I got around to looking at it a couple of weeks ago, took it apart and reckoned the lcd was flucked. At this stage it would power up and stuff was visible on screen but the backlight had failed. Although stuff was visible, it was still flickering.

So ordered a new lcd thinking that would do the trick... no. The flickering stopped but still no backlight. I then ordered a new inverter thinking that was the problem... no. Again still no backlight.

Finally, getting desperate, i ordered a new ribbon cable going from motherboard to lcd, but again, nothing happening.

I can hook it up no problem to an external monitor and it's working grand apart from this damn backlight issue. Looking for a second opinion here but am i unlucky enough to have gotten an inverter (off ebay, buyer claims it's new) dead on arrival?

That's the only thing i can think of and it's driving me nuts...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

That's is strange, no backlight, that's usually means it's inverter related.
    Just to be clear, is your screen dark on boot-up?

I had a similar-sounding flickering problem with a laptop yesterday.
    It turned out it was the graphic loom causing it.
    The delicate wires in the screen hinge area can be stressed and damaged
    with the screen opening and closing a lot.
    Was the loom you bought second-hand perhaps?

Might be worth inspecting the wires in that area,
    worth a look anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Moon54 wrote: »
    That's is strange, no backlight, that's usually means it's inverter related.
    Just to be clear, is your screen dark on boot-up?

I had a similar-sounding flickering problem with a laptop yesterday.
    It turned out it was the graphic loom causing it.
    The delicate wires in the screen hinge area can be stressed and damaged
    with the screen opening and closing a lot.
    Was the loom you bought second-hand perhaps?

Might be worth inspecting the wires in that area,
    worth a look anyway.

yeah screen is dark on boot up, all flickering has stopped now with the new lcd so i don't think it's cable / wire related.

loom was listed as new from very reputable seller, so have no reason to believe that's the problem...

it seems as if everything is working grand bar the backlight which is why i think it may be a dodgy inverter but i'm obviously reluctant to buy another one if i don't know for sure the one i bought is dead... i've tried all the basic stuff too (adjusting brightness, using function keys etc...) plus there's no stuck buttons or switches or anything where the screen folds down on to the keyboard...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Yeah, inverter related, almost certainly.

Maybe try the original inverter again, perhaps that one is OK. :)
    Double-check that both connections are connected OK.
    The power side especially(2 wire, pink & white one),
    maybe it is pushed in the wrong way??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Did you try illuminating the screen with a flash light ?

If you can see the screen with the aid of a flash light then its most likely the inverter.

yeah have double & tripled checked all connections & searched for broken wires etc... the lcd itself is displaying stuff fine (no flashlight needed in daylight), it's just the backlight...

anyway, you guys have given me the confidence to order another one, so hopefully that will do the trick, if not i think i might throw it all off a cliff :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Could be that the actual CCFL tube forming the backlight itself is borked rather than the inverter, especially given that it was flickering before it died...

Solitaire wrote: »
    Could be that the actual CCFL tube forming the backlight itself is borked rather than the inverter, especially given that it was flickering before it died...

but i got a new lcd + have another old spare too, tried both but no luck...

originally screen was changing colours, 'melting' effect etc... plus it would flicker when moved.. backlight wasn't an issue but i let it sit for a few weeks and now the backlight wouldn't come on, so i figured it was the lcd, then got an inverter to make sure (i figured it was one or the other)...

turns out it may have been both because the new lcd has stopped the flickering (old one still flickers) but neither now has backlight, so i'm guessing the old inverter is dead and i was just unlucky enough to have gotten a 'new' one dead on arrival... at least that's what i hope :)

Advertisement