Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VW carburettor cleaning?

• 09-07-2011 12:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

I have a 1983 1.9/2litre Holdsworth camper...I want to clean the carbs, is there much to it & any ideas how I would go about doing it? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

clean the bowls/jets? Clean the butterfly area , or the external bodies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Internal clean..It is running fine drove down from delvin with it no problems, but it was parked up for near a year before that & with a trip to europe on the cards an oil change & carb clean might be a wise move

• Registered Users Posts: 13 munk

I'll be honest. I would leave them well alone if the van runs o.k. as they can be a real pain in the arse to sort out if they go out of sync.

I'm presuming as you say "carbs" it is a 2.0l aircooled engine. I ran a VW resto business for 10 years and always had a sharp intake of breath when someone rang up with running problems on one of these engines + I've wasted many an hour trying to tune them up! :D

I'm presuming that it's still got the original Solex carbs on it?

All I would suggest is replacing your fuel filters (there should be one right next to the fuel tank underneath + probably one in the engine compartment), draining the fuel out of your tank at the same time and replacing it with fresh fuel.

Mark

Advertisement