Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

We won. Thats all you can take from today other than maybe good performances from Freeman, Boyle and Cafferky. Will be a proper test next weekend. That no 8 from Derry was an animal btw:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

What is the logic behind playing D OConnor? At this stage our level is who can perform against Dublin. Against Dublin he'd be marked by big n nasty James Mccarthy. OConnor is not at the physical level for Div 1 yet.
    If Adam Gallagher is not injured why cant he even buy a game now? Lastly we need to see Richie Feeney from the start at half forward

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

What is the logic behind playing D OConnor? At this stage our level is who can perform against Dublin. Against Dublin he'd be marked by big n nasty James Mccarthy. OConnor is not at the physical level for Div 1 yet.
    If Adam Gallagher is not injured why cant he even buy a game now? Lastly we need to see Richie Feeney from the start at half forward

Experience probably, which is ok, but agreed he is a bit too light just yet, but I think he does need to get the minutes on the pitch.
    I see Conroy was "Drafted" back onto the panel before the start, where was Adam Gallagher?
    Richie was lucky as that could easily have been a red card.

yop wrote: »
    Experience probably, which is ok, but agreed he is a bit too light just yet, but I think he does need to get the minutes on the pitch.
    I see Conroy was "Drafted" back onto the panel before the start, where was Adam Gallagher?
    Richie was lucky as that could easily have been a red card.
    I think he's a fine prospect as he does smart things when in posession. Just feel its time o year now where its about settling a Croke Park 23. Maybe Gallagher has some injury. I think he can be an even stronger player later in the year with a bit more physical prep done. Gallagher has speed n height n has a frame looks like could easily add a stone before September.His point against Kildare getting up off the ground that was game winner type stuff.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I think he's a fine prospect as he does smart things when in posession. Just feel its time o year now where its about settling a Croke Park 23. Maybe Gallagher has some injury. I think he can be an even stronger player later in the year with a bit more physical prep done. Gallagher has speed n height n has a frame looks like could easily add a stone before September.His point against Kildare getting up off the ground that was game winner type stuff.

Might be injured. He has to reduce the panel now I think soon enough. Be very interesting to see who goes.
    Is he going to retain O'Sheas X 2, Gibbon, Moran and Parsons? Moran could be the weakest of them, which is odd as he was brilliant last year.
    Forwards, Dillon will come back. Who is going to lose out there?

It will be interesting next week, I think today did nothing for us except give a few fans the flu!

Another player who needs to step up his game is Andy Moran. He was shocking at times today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,258 ✭✭✭✭km79

A nothing game really today but still think Sweeney did himself no harm. He is very light but he knows where the posts are and is very quick. Compare that with the Conroy and Varley "cameos" in the league......

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Another player who needs to step up his game is Andy Moran. He was shocking at times today

He looks v slow during the league games so far, though his experience in big games and his dressing room presence is critical to younger players.

Agree about sweeney, watching it on RTE and Sweeny did very well.

How the hell they got that goal was mental.

I don't know should Dillon be guaranteed his place. No football played n his form last 3 seasons is patchy.
    Playing 3 of the 5 midfield options might be explored in the next game. AOS/JG/SOS all starting.
    Andy Moran lifts enthusiasm in the squad n will work like crazy to be better in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

will the semi final be in croker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Personally think the game should be in Sligo. A league semi final, even as a double header would be lost in Croker. ZERO atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Personally think the game should be in Sligo. A league semi final, even as a double header would be lost in Croker. ZERO atmosphere.

I think its officiall policy to put them in CP.
    When they were first introduced in 2012 They dragged Mayo, Kerry, Cork and Down up there for Sfs, strangely that year Dublin came 5th, its as if they had already planned for Dublin to be involved and they were not, and could not change the venue on time.
    Dublin are involved this year, and were last.
    But its still draft to play Mayo v Derry there

This has been on their site for over a month as I had to check it.
    http://www.crokepark.ie/events/upcoming-events/allianz-football-league-dublin-gaa-spring-seri-(5)

So definitely there. Ironic the wording of the URL they use.... ;)

Please be the second game*

*other sport distractions:o:D

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Please be the second game*

*other sport distractions:o:D

Not going to happen.
    Dublin v Cork too high profile.

• Advertisement

Not going to happen.

Without doubt. We played Dublin at 3.45 last year. Tyrone were on at 2pm.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Not going to happen.

Not sure that comes in to it, Cork as league 'winners' get to play in the top billed game.

copacetic wrote: »
    Not sure that comes in to it, Cork as league 'winners' get to play in the top billed game.

Nothing to do with it.
    Kerry (1st) v Mayo (4th) was on first on 2012, followed by Cork v Down.

The game that is likely to attract the bigger crowd is usually on last, and when Dublin are involved you can be sure they will be on last.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭LadyLucinda

Anyone else hear that rumor about Michael Conroy being dropped from panel? Got a chance today and didn't take it so i'd say he is hanging on by a string at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

A damned if we do, damned if we don't sort of match for Mayo.

Bottom line -mission accomplished, and without getting out of second gear for the majority of the campaign.

Impressive stuff.

Hopefully they can crank it up a notch or two next week and cut out the easing up when on top.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Cant see how Horan persists with Enda Varley on the panel.

Am I the only one who has thought hes just not up to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭GBXI

Where's that come from? He didn't even play yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,258 ✭✭✭✭km79

No I agree. His only role is as an impact sub and he has zero impact. Same goes for Conroy. Sweeney has defo moved ahead of them as first lad to be called off the bench for a corner forward role I think. And then there is Dillon to come back too...

GBXI wrote: »
    Where's that come from? He didn't even play yesterday.

Mentioned above that Conroy could be dropped.

Hes alot more effective than Varley IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭GBXI

Actually, I wouldn't be Varley's biggest fan at all, but I think he offers way more than Conroy. Varley at least has a bit of pace (which Conroy definitely doesn't have) and Varley has the ability to score points from tight angels with either foot. Neither should be starters, but I'd have Varley coming off the bench before Conroy all day.

2pm Sunday confirmed for Croker.

I'd put Sweeney ahead of Conroy then Varley. Conroy was one of our best forwards last year, though he seems to have issues with weight. Varley seems to waste a lot of ball, but in his defence he doesn't get much game time. Been there now 3 or 4 years I think, if he hasn't made it now its not going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

This has been on their site for over a month as I had to check it.
    http://www.crokepark.ie/events/upcoming-events/allianz-football-league-dublin-gaa-spring-seri-(5)

So definitely there. Ironic the wording of the URL they use.... ;)

once caught rte using page called scum.html when referring to a utd match report page.

:D

I'd put Sweeney ahead of Conroy then Varley. Conroy was one of our best forwards last year, though he seems to have issues with weight. Varley seems to waste a lot of ball, but in his defence he doesn't get much game time. Been there now 3 or 4 years I think, if he hasn't made it now its not going to happen.
    Currently here is how I see the forwards not counting Keith Higgins/Alan Dillon (We haven't seen Dillon play yet and word from Horan is won't play the next day either)
    Nailed on: OConnor, Freeman, McGloughlin (Significantly our 3 best forwards are in form, don't think we've ever had that situation).
    Should be retained: Mike Sweeney, Andy Moran, Adam Gallagher, Brian Gallagher.
    Under pressure: Varley, Conroy, Doc, Coen. The four of them have not been able to string some performances together in some time now.
    What I could see is all five midfielders being kept on with us trying out the idea of playing three of them. Then two more on the bench as cover. Would we venture into playing 4 midfielders?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 anoh77

Was at the game yesterday, quicker its erased from the memory the better! Once the Derry team was announced during the week, it was always going to be a strange game, one to just get out of the way. In fairness Derry put themselves in a position to make them changes through their performances earlier in the league, so no issues with that. If we were told we'd finish on 9 points after losing the first 2 league games, we'd have gladly taken it at that stage. Its another great test next weekend, another game in Croker, hopefully get a full 70 minute performance. Hard to take much out of yesterdays game, thought Cafferkey had a great first half, Parsons caught some great ball, wasted it a few times though, Boyle was class, as was Freeman, with the right ball in. Was good to rest O'Shea, Gibbons, Keegan and McLoughlin. Derry be a different animal next week, and we'll need them 4 at their best if we're to overcome them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

Anyone else hear that rumor about Michael Conroy being dropped from panel? Got a chance today and didn't take it so i'd say he is hanging on by a string at this stage
    yes i heard he walked or slipped cos thats all he has done so far this yr,get the balls run afew yards then hit the ground.
    with the squad being the way it is i cant see him making it.10mins at the end is about all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I think Michael Conroy,Enda Varley,Jason Doherty and Alan Dillon are under huge pressure.
    Adam Gallagher and Brian Gallagher deserve to be retained.

Great to see Ger Caff getting back to something approaching his imperious best,yet again Colm Boyle had a great game.What can one say about Alan Freeman?Delighted he's fulfilling his potential.
    Richie Feeney was pretty fortunate he did not get any further punishment with his body check.Himself and Barry Moran found it very hard to make any impact as substitutes.

Display was pretty poor overall,any news re Cillian O Connor's injury??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

seligehgit wrote: »
    I think Michael Conroy,Enda Varley,Jason Doherty and Alan Dillon are under huge pressure.
    Adam Gallagher and Brian Gallagher deserve to be retained.

Great to see Ger Caff getting back to something approaching his imperious best,yet again Colm Boyle had a great game.What can one say about Alan Freeman?Delighted he's fulfilling his potential.
    Richie Feeney was pretty fortunate he did not get any further punishment with his body check.Himself and Barry Moran found it very hard to make any impact as substitutes.

Display was pretty poor overall,any news re Cillian O Connor's injury??

Cillian should be fine for next Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭LadyLucinda

I'm extremely worried about forwards and think we can only rely on 2, Mcloughlin and O Connor. Freeman will be marshaled by a good full back

Currently here is how I see the forwards not counting Keith Higgins/Alan Dillon (We haven't seen Dillon play yet and word from Horan is won't play the next day either)
    Nailed on: OConnor, Freeman, McGloughlin (Significantly our 3 best forwards are in form, don't think we've ever had that situation).
    Should be retained: Mike Sweeney, Andy Moran, Adam Gallagher, Brian Gallagher.
    Under pressure: Varley, Conroy, Doc, Coen. The four of them have not been able to string some performances together in some time now.
    What I could see is all five midfielders being kept on with us trying out the idea of playing three of them. Then two more on the bench as cover. Would we venture into playing 4 midfielders?

Ok, decided to be sad anorak!! Scorers in each match and then the totals at the end:

Versus Kildare
    R Hennelly (0-03, 3 ’45), A Moran, D Coen, J Gibbons ALL (1-00)
    L Keegan, S McHale, A O’Shea ALL (0-01), D O’Connor (0-01)f
    A Gallagher (0-03, 1f), K McLoughlin (0-08, 5f)

Versus Tyrone
    L Keegan, C Carolan, K Higgins, A Moran, B Gallagher ALL (0-01),
    A Gallagher (00-09, 6f),K McLoughlin (0-02),

Versus Cork
    J Doherty 1-3, C O’Connor 1-2, K McLoughlin 0-4 (1f), J Gibbons 1-1, A Freeman 1-0, A O’Shea, L Keegan BOTH (0-01),

Versus Westmeath
    Lee Keegan (1-2), Brian Gallagher , Aidan O’Shea BOTH (0-2),
    Kevin McLoughlin (0-3, 0-1f); Enda Varley, David Drake BOTH (0-1)
    Alan Freeman (0-5, 0-3f), Mikey Sweeney (1-0), Cillian O'Connor (0-1, 0-1f)

Versus Kerry
    L Keegan, M Conroy, E Varley ALL (0-01), (0-01), K McLoughlin (0-4, 3fs), Doherty (1-01); A Gallagher (0-02, 2fs), A Freeman (1-05, 3fs),

Versus Dublin
    D Vaughan (0-02), J Gibbons (0-01), K Higgins (0-01), A Moran (0-01), K McLoughlin (1-03)
    C O'Connor (0-08, 5f), M Sweeney (1-01)

Versus Derry
    Alan Freeman 2-6 (1-0pen, 3fs, 145), Mikey Sweeney 0-2,
    Donal Vaughan, Tom Parsons, Darren Coen, Andy Moran ALL 0-1.

Total Scorers
    A Freeman 4-16 (9f) (one ’45)
    K McLoughlin 1-24 (10f)

A Gallagher 0-14 (9f)
    C O’Connor 1-11 (6f)

J Doherty 2-4

Mikey Sweeney 2-03

L Keegan 1-06

J Gibbons 2-02

A Moran 1-03

A O’Shea 0-04
    D Coen 1-01

R Hennelly 0-03 (3 ALL ’45’s)
    B Gallagher 0-03
    D Vaughan 0-03

K Higgins 0-02
    Enda Varley 0-2

S McHale 0-01
    C Carolan 0-01
    David Drake 0-1
    M Conroy 0-01
    Tom Parsons 0-1
    D O’Connor 0-01 (1f)

Looking at it closer

So we had 8 players who scored 8 points or more in the league.
    We had 4 players who scored 14 or more.
    We had 13 forwards who scored.
    We had 5 defenders who scored.
    We had 3 midfielders who scored.

Positions:
    Forwards – 12-84
    Midfield - 2-07
    Backs – 1-12
    Keeper – 0-03

Ok, decided to be sad anorak!! Scorers in each match and then the totals at the end:

Versus Kildare
    R Hennelly (0-03, 3 ’45), A Moran, D Coen, J Gibbons ALL (1-00)
    L Keegan, S McHale, A O’Shea ALL (0-01), D O’Connor (0-01)f
    A Gallagher (0-03, 1f), K McLoughlin (0-08, 5f)

Versus Tyrone
    L Keegan, C Carolan, K Higgins, A Moran, B Gallagher ALL (0-01),
    A Gallagher (00-09, 6f),K McLoughlin (0-02),

Versus Cork
    J Doherty 1-3, C O’Connor 1-2, K McLoughlin 0-4 (1f), J Gibbons 1-1, A Freeman 1-0, A O’Shea, L Keegan BOTH (0-01),

Versus Westmeath
    Lee Keegan (1-2), Brian Gallagher , Aidan O’Shea BOTH (0-2),
    Kevin McLoughlin (0-3, 0-1f); Enda Varley, David Drake BOTH (0-1)
    Alan Freeman (0-5, 0-3f), Mikey Sweeney (1-0), Cillian O'Connor (0-1, 0-1f)

Versus Kerry
    L Keegan, M Conroy, E Varley ALL (0-01), (0-01), K McLoughlin (0-4, 3fs), Doherty (1-01); A Gallagher (0-02, 2fs), A Freeman (1-05, 3fs),

Versus Dublin
    D Vaughan (0-02), J Gibbons (0-01), K Higgins (0-01), A Moran (0-01), K McLoughlin (1-03)
    C O'Connor (0-08, 5f), M Sweeney (1-01)

Versus Derry
    Alan Freeman 2-6 (1-0pen, 3fs, 145), Mikey Sweeney 0-2,
    Donal Vaughan, Tom Parsons, Darren Coen, Andy Moran ALL 0-1.

Total Scorers
    A Freeman 4-16 (9f) (one ’45)
    K McLoughlin 1-24 (10f)

A Gallagher 0-14 (9f)
    C O’Connor 1-11 (6f)

J Doherty 2-4

Mikey Sweeney 2-03

L Keegan 1-06

J Gibbons 2-02

A Moran 1-03

A O’Shea 0-04
    D Coen 1-01

R Hennelly 0-03 (3 ALL ’45’s)
    B Gallagher 0-03
    D Vaughan 0-03

K Higgins 0-02
    Enda Varley 0-2

S McHale 0-01
    C Carolan 0-01
    David Drake 0-1
    M Conroy 0-01
    Tom Parsons 0-1
    D O’Connor 0-01 (1f)

Conroy only got 1 point in the whole campaign. Shocking

If we want to look at our 6 forwards then based on scoring alone, not a truly fair way as 1/2 forwards are expected to mop up in the middle and track back and assist the forward line:

Mikey Sweeney A Freeman C O’Connor
    K McLoughlin J Doherty A Gallagher

Subs - A Moran D Coen B Gallagher

After those 9 players above, what you are looking at is forwards who have mainly 1 point scored in the league, Varley is the only one who has 2.

Agreed, himself and Varley are on their last legs.

I was very surprised that Doc had scored that amount and Adam Gallagher.

I KNOW its the league and I am not naive, but that return from the 6 forwards I mentioned above is decent.

I have Higgins as a back, I know he played forward, so it proves with only 2 points that he is not a scoring back from the 1/2 forward line.

• Advertisement

To be fair to him, he didn't get much game time. He is having a terrible run of form but let's not forget he was one of our best players in the league last year and was just back from injury for the AI semi-final. I think he deserves to be in the squad but i'm not sold on Varley tbh.

I also like the look of Sweeney. He's an intelligent player, knows where the posts are and wins a lot of ball for a man of his size.

I think Adam Gallagher should be involved too, he looks a player and will only get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Agreed, himself and Varley are on their last legs.

I was very surprised that Doc had scored that amount and Adam Gallagher.

I KNOW its the league and I am not naive, but that return from the 6 forwards I mentioned above is decent.

I have Higgins as a back, I know he played forward, so it proves with only 2 points that he is not a scoring back from the 1/2 forward line.

Yeah, hate to say it about amateur players, but i just don't see the value in Conroy this year and Varley, well never rated him strongly enough, personally.

Conroy doesn't seem to have recovered from the injury he got last April. Its a shame, he was decent in 2012.

Blackjack wrote: »
    Yeah, hate to say it about amateur players, but i just don't see the value in Conroy this year and Varley, well never rated him strongly enough, personally.

Conroy doesn't seem to have recovered from the injury he got last April. Its a shame, he was decent in 2012.

Varley's only real good performance was the 2012 final v Donegal, cant remember many others.

Varley's only real good performance was the 2012 final v Donegal, cant remember many others.

He played well in the Salthill Massacre last year...

ColeTrain wrote: »
    He played well in the Salthill Massacre last year...

True. Must apologise to Enda, thats 2 good performances not just the one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Ya he was good that day, but he still ended up missing what could have been vital scores. Seem to remember COC bringing it up after the 2012 final about some of the frees Varley missed that day. His inconsistency is infuriating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Ya he was good that day, but he still ended up missing what could have been vital scores. Seem to remember COC bringing it up after the 2012 final about some of the frees Varley missed that day. His inconsistency is infuriating.
    Thought he was q good against Dublin in semi too-and COC has a nerve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

harpsman wrote: »
    Thought he was q good against Dublin in semi too-and COC has a nerve
    http://balls.ie/gaa/bottler-overused-term-abuse-sport/
    There is a class of sports fan currently at large in pubs across Ireland. A wizened old sage, when he observes a team fall to a defeat he nods his head wearily at all the commonplace explanations for said loss he hears around about him.

He is unimpressed by your tactical analysis. He sneers at the idea of know-all, chart peddling statisticians. He is sceptical that even technical ability accounts for the loss. No, no this man delves deeper. He looks into the very psyche of the poor vanquished outfit.

‘Bottler’ is one of the Irish sports fan most cherished terms of abuse. Rather than merely questioning someone’s technical proficiency, the bread and butter of criticism, it goes further and questions one’s whole character. As opposed to just being a bungler who’s bad at his job, the bottler is a nervy, blithering wreck who’s no kind of man at all.

It does not amount to very forensic criticism. Most of the folk who toss around the term ‘bottler’’ tend to have little technical expertise in the sport on which they are commenting.

A good read, and a few things to reply to the idiots who keep referring to any Mayo loss in Croke Park as them "bottling" it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

DDC1990 wrote: »
    http://balls.ie/gaa/bottler-overused-term-abuse-sport/

A good read, and a few things to reply to the idiots who keep referring to any Mayo loss in Croke Park as them "bottling" it.
    I agree, but there are alot of idiots out there who would be better advised to get a basic grasp of comprehension of the english language before they take to reading articles which are beyond their level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

ye wont get any respect til ye win sam, and dont deserve it til ye do either,tough but thats life.

Define Respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Never mind him, he's a troll with nothing better for doing

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement