Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

tacofries wrote: »
    I personally don't think the show is over yet if the right changes in player position and substitutions are made (everyone is of the same opinion of what that means).

Even if it is all over all you have to do is listen to this and be thankfull for al the years gone by :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9_rJZ_jzo0

Up the Green And Red

I am forever hopeful to the bitter end, I just don't understand why anyone would write Mayo off before the championship has even begun. Fresh start as far as I am concerned, with the backing of some lovely flare and positive play from the league. All we need to do is focus and it's ours :D

Nothing I like better than to stand to the National Anthem before a match, here we go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I'm not conceding anything either.

Plenty to play for this summer, we've made the final two years running, who would write us off being at the showpeice event in September?

Hopefully the players get the heads down and plug away quietly and Horan and co work their bollocks off on fixing the mistakes. Do that, get everyone fully fit and we will be in contention again.

All the negativity that i've heard over the last week, calling the players useless and wanting Horan sacked will be washed away with a couple of wins - the same people will be hyping us up for an All-Ireland then. The Mayo support can be very fickle but what can you do.

New York, New York first off. We should take care of them very easily you'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

ColeTrain wrote: »
    I'm not conceding anything either.

Plenty to play for this summer, we've made the final two years running, who would write us off being at the showpeice event in September?

Hopefully the players get the heads down and plug away quietly and Horan and co work their bollocks off on fixing the mistakes. Do that, get everyone fully fit and we will be in contention again.

All the negativity that i've heard over the last week, calling the players useless and wanting Horan sacked will be washed away with a couple of wins - the same people will be hyping us up for an All-Ireland then. The Mayo support can be very fickle but what can you do.

New York, New York first off. We should take care of them very easily you'd imagine.

Spot on. It only April and people are getting their knickers in a twist. I think they just need a bit of time to get get the show on the road. They are still a quality side. I just felt the legs look tired the last day but who knows what kind of training they did that week and like you said sort out some of the issues especially in defence.

Horan has his limitations as people have outlined but I think he is probably our best man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Spot on. It only April and people are getting their knickers in a twist. I think they just need a bit of time to get get the show on the road. They are still a quality side. I just felt the legs look tired the last day but who knows what kind of training they did that week and like you said sort out some of the issues especially in defence.

Horan has his limitations as people have outlined but I think he is probably our best man.
    i think he should have went after the all ireland to be honest as that is where we lost the game not on the pitch but on the sideline.iam not looking to start a row with any one over it either just my opinion.who to bring in if he goes i have no idea.

i think or toughest game with be the rosses in hyde.have they done up the ground yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/
    The Mac is back.... oh.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

naughto wrote: »
    i think he should have went after the all ireland to be honest as that is where we lost the game not on the pitch but on the sideline.iam not looking to start a row with any one over it either just my opinion.who to bring in if he goes i have no idea.

i think or toughest game with be the rosses in hyde.have they done up the ground yet?

That's fair enough but the issue is who do you get. I can't see anyone within the county that would be a better option. I don't think an outside guy is the answer. I suppose only time will tell but I would be incline to give him the nod. We had some crappy days with the guys before him and with all the stories after the final, all the guys are back on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Kalyke wrote: »
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/
    The Mac is back.... oh.:(

Bad link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Looks like we dodged a bullet last day out....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

padd b1975 wrote: »

Who knows? Our last two games with Dublin have resulted in a one point loss and a draw. We would have given the Dubs a serious game for sure but it's all academic, maybe the rest will benefit the team more at this stage than a tough league final for which we aren't fully fit. Over the past three years Horan has had them peaking in the late summer so lets hope he can manage it again this year.

If anything today shows how poor we really were against Derry in the two games, there's no way we would have crashed out as badly as Derry did today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Exactly, would've been far closer than a shell shocked Derry managed

• Advertisement

Who knows? Our last two games with Dublin have resulted in a one point loss and a draw. We would have given the Dubs a serious game for sure but it's all academic, maybe the rest will benefit the team more at this stage than a tough league final for which we aren't fully fit. Over the past three years Horan has had them peaking in the late summer so lets hope he can manage it again this year.

If anything today shows how poor we really were against Derry in the two games, there's no way we would have crashed out as badly as Derry did today.

Yeah, better to identify problems as early as possible in the year and work on them out of the glare of all the tired 'Mayo choker' rhetoric.

Aside from tightening up the defence and re-assigning KH, it's just a matter of sorting out general sloppiness and decision making.

At least, that's what I hope:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Is the delusion going to continue for yet another year?

MayoSalmon wrote: »

Why? Would you prefer to be us to be negative & downbeat about Mayo's chances? You obviously don't understand what being a supporter is about.

So by highlighting that part of my post you are implying that Mayo would have suffered a similar hammering to Derry? Would you care to expand on this?

Exactly what I thought until I seen the scenes after last years final young and old.

Shocking stuff

True enough :D

So by highlighting that part of my post you are implying that Mayo would have suffered a similar hammering to Derry? Would you care to expand on this?

It's Mayo...it's a final...and against Dublin in that form a hammering would of been duly dealt.

Please stop the delusion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Lads, abuse and slagging off of players is not on - no matter what county they are from and what the perception may be.

It's Mayo...it's a final...and against Dublin in that form a hammering would of been duly dealt.

And when have Mayo ever been hammered by Dublin in a final?

Come on now, break me out of my delusion. More than one sentence will do.

And when have Mayo ever been hammered by Dublin in a final?

Come on now, break me out of my delusion. More than one sentence will do.

Look if the last 60 odd years can't break the delusion....I certainly can't.

Carry on.

• Advertisement

Did you see the AI final last year when we were hammered by 1 point? Stupid question I suppose, sure you obviously don't bother watching finals because you think we are going to get a hammering every time.

Please stop the negativity.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

stop the personal attacks and posting comments to bait posters, I'll be banning people if it continues, have already handed out infractions

My point was that we didn't get a hammering last year in a final against Dublin.

There is plenty to be positive about. 'Supporters' like yourself get off in highlighting any negatives, I know your type.

Any negatives?? I am hardly nick picking here. Mayo have failed countless times to recall at this stage.

When somebody writes that "Mayo wouldn't have gotten beaten by Dublin in Croker today like down did"

I fathom to see how they can formulate this opinion.....especially when the team in question has beaten Mayo just the week before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

Mayo lost to dublin by one point as far as remember but the sycological damage done may as well of been a 10 point defeat ..... they just dont know how to win

Any negatives?? I am hardly nick picking here. Mayo have failed countless times to recall at this stage.

When somebody writes that "Mayo wouldn't have gotten beaten by Dublin in Croker today like down did"

I fathom to see how they can formulate this opinion.....especially when the team in question has beaten Mayo just the week before.

It's subjective but it's perfectly reasonable to think that Mayo wouldn't have been beaten by 15 points today if they faced Dublin.

Personally I think Dublin would have beaten us by a few but it doesn't matter.

anthonyos wrote: »
    Mayo lost to dublin by one point as far as remember but the sycological damage done may as well of been a 10 point defeat ..... they just dont know how to win

:D:D:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

See we have more trolls tonight, leave them be for a while lads, they will disappear or get themselves banned as they all usually do.
    Some of the statements made are just trying to rile and not worth even discussing.

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »
    See we have more trolls tonight, leave them be for a while lads, they will disappear or get themselves banned as they all usually do.
    Some of the statements made are just trying to rile and not worth even discussing.

Sure it's nearly Championship time, peak time for them.

Formulated from perfectly reasonable points, unlike yourself where you can't even provide one coherent argument as to why Mayo would have been hammered by Dublin. Like said above, I know the type of 'supporter' you are, taking pleasure from the misfortunes of an amateur team, says it all really.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Sure it's nearly Championship time, peak time for them.

No u school time, bed time for them ;)

Formulated from perfectly reasonable points, unlike yourself where you can't even provide one coherent argument as to why Mayo would have been hammered by Dublin. Like said above, I know the type of 'supporter' you are, taking pleasure from the misfortunes of an amateur team, says it all really.

The type of 'supporter' who you see at the matches - grunting, screaming and even abusing players for making any sort of mistake. This type of 'supporter' will also be very quiet when the team are playing well.

Thankfully these 'supporters' are in the minority but you do see them all the time. They are very easy to spot, they usually have an erection when we are losing and tend to wave it around the place for everyone to see.

The bit which I highlighted in bold is what makes them pathetic.

The type of 'supporter' who you see at the matches - grunting, screaming and even abusing players for making any sort of mistake. This type of 'supporter' will also be very quiet when the team are playing well.

Thankfully these 'supporters' are in the minority but you do see them all the time. They are very easy to spot, they usually have an erection when we are losing and tend to wave it around the place for everyone to see.

The 'curse' had nothing to do with winning All-Irelands, rather we have been cursed with whingers and moaners who are outraged and appalled that Mayo teams have had the gall to go out there and lose All-Irelands, and shock horror, lose matches every now and again. It's the same whingers that declare every time after a loss that "I'm never going to another Mayo match again, they'll never win anything" yet as soon as Mayo are back in Croker there they are, back on the bandwagon. You won't see them on a cold Sunday in February but you can be damn sure they'll be talking **** down the pub or posting self-loathing crap on the internet. Let them try togging out 3 times a week for club and county and see how long they last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

Unfortunately most counties have idiots like this. In Croker yesterday I had an idiot behind me, screaming abuse at "Dermo", "Berno", "Paddy" and anyone else who didn't do exactly what he thought they should do. Fortunately these guys generally arrive at kick off time, head to the bar with 34 minutes on the clock, get back to their seats five minutes into the second half, and leave before full time. I'm sure they existed 50 years ago, and will continue to exist in 50 years time.

Past30Now wrote: »
    Unfortunately most counties have idiots like this. In Croker yesterday I had an idiot behind me, screaming abuse at "Dermo", "Berno", "Paddy" and anyone else who didn't do exactly what he thought they should do. Fortunately these guys generally arrive at kick off time, head to the bar with 34 minutes on the clock, get back to their seats five minutes into the second half, and leave before full time. I'm sure they existed 50 years ago, and will continue to exist in 50 years time.

Yip, loads of them. Pure asses, think they know the team and players better than anyone else, mention FBD or O'Byrne cup and they look at you as if you had 10 heads. Just ignore them, the World cup will be on soon, won't see them then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I really hate this attitude.

I’d much prefer to see Mayo get to finals rather than sit at home and say, ‘thank God we are not there’.

I’d much prefer to see Mayo get to finals rather than sit at home and say, ‘thank God we are not there’.

Exactly, no reason why we could not have won that game.

Many going to New York from this forum?

Realistically we wouldn't have been ready for Dublin on current form though.

It's all about championship now and getting right for that.

Another final loss and all the crap that brings when Mayo are involved (usually from clowns who's counties never see the business end of competitions) would not have been a plus for this team given how seasoned and battle-hardened they currently are.

Realistically we wouldn't have been ready for Dublin on current form though.

It's all about championship now and getting right for that.

Another final loss and all the crap that brings when Mayo are involved (usually from clowns who's counties never see the business end of competitions) would not have been a plus for this team given how seasoned and battle-hardened they currently are.

Ok, we played Dublin 4 weeks ago and all but for our own pi*sing about we should have won the game, we drew.
    If realistically based on that there was no reason why we couldn't beat them, current form would state they we could have drawn with them or beat them.

Ok, we played Dublin 4 weeks ago and all but for our own pi*sing about we should have won the game, we drew.
    If realistically based on that there was no reason why we couldn't beat them, current form would state they we could have drawn with them or beat them.

Point taken, but I was thinking more along the lines of our form against Derry verses Dublin's form yesterday.

I don't think anyone would have beaten Dublin yesterday which would have led to more high level negativity heading our way than what the semi-final defeat brought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

the thing that worries me is that we only drew and prob should have lost the game with dublin only having 14 players

Point taken, but I was thinking more along the lines of our form against Derry verses Dublin's form yesterday.

I don't think anyone would have beaten Dublin yesterday which would have led to more high level negativity heading our way than what the semi-final defeat brought.
    naughto wrote: »
    the thing that worries me is that we only drew and prob should have lost the game with dublin only having 14 players

Agree with both of ye, what I probably should have added, is that on our day, I think outside of Dublin no one would live with us either, days like Donegal, Salthill, Cork in the league, all days where we blitzed teams.

Definitely going up there yesterday and coming away with another loss wouldn't have been good, that said a win and we would have been tails up and all that.

NY won't tell us anything, Roscommon is another story, we SHOULD win up there, if we are to be anywhere near the AI final then we have to go there and do what we did in Salthill, but I THINK things are different that 12 months ago, bit of unrest within the squad and also now with supporters.

Time will tell, I hope I am wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

NY won't tell us anything, Roscommon is another story, we SHOULD win up there, if we are to be anywhere near the AI final then we have to go there and do what we did in Salthill, but I THINK things are different that 12 months ago, bit of unrest within the squad and also now with supporters.

Time will tell, I hope I am wrong.
    Totally agree
    I’m not sure that Mayo have the intensity in them that they had in 2013.
    I am basing it on the failure to win v Dublin and Derry, two games where wins meant something, a SF place and a final place.
    That coupled with my belief that it will be tough for these guys to get back up, and improve, after the efforts put in since 2011.
    I hope I am wrong, I hope that they come out and blitz what seems to be an improving Roscommon team away from home, and continue to blitz all around them.

• Advertisement

Sometimes there's a lot to be said for keeping your powder dry. I was disappointed and a bit shocked after the Derry game but honestly it's not the worst thing in the world that we didn't get to the league final. As it is at the moment the team needs more than two weeks surgery and I'm sure the management team have a lot to think about before the match in June. Being realistic I think we would have lost yesterday and that wouldn't bring us any farther at all.
    Totally agree
    I’m not sure that Mayo have the intensity in them that they had in 2013.
    I am basing it on the failure to win v Dublin and Derry, two games where wins meant something, a SF place and a final place.
    That coupled with my belief that it will be tough for these guys to get back up, and improve, after the efforts put in since 2011.
    I hope I am wrong, I hope that they come out and blitz what seems to be an improving Roscommon team away from home, and continue to blitz all around them.

I don't forsee any blitzes this year, would be great of course but 2011 and 2012 we got out of Connacht with modest enough margins against Roscommon and Sligo and it didn't do us any harm.

Also, don't forget we finished stronger this year in the league than last year, so really it's hard enough to predict intensity or hunger levels at this stage. We just have to wait and see!

Myself and another punter in this thread will be there, there's a get-together organised by the County Board in Connolly's pub which you've probably already seen on the Mayo GAA Facebook page, would be a good place to meet if any boardsies here are on for a few bottles. Club 51 will no doubt have something organised also.

If Mayo can make it in New York then they can make it anywhere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Exactly, no reason why we could not have won that game.

About 50 from our area are heading over! Really looking forward to the trip now, year saving and booked since October!

Myself and another punter in this thread will be there, there's a get-together organised by the County Board in Connolly's pub which you've probably already seen on the Mayo GAA Facebook page, would be a good place to meet if any boardsies here are on for a few bottles. Club 51 will no doubt have something organised also.

If Mayo can make it in New York then they can make it anywhere...
    mayo.mick wrote: »
    About 50 from our area are heading over! Really looking forward to the trip now, year saving and booked since October!

Seems to be a good crowd going for sure, when the kids are bit older I would definitely add it to the bucket list :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Seems to be a good crowd going for sure, when the kids are bit older I would definitely add it to the bucket list :D

There are 2,000 Mayo fans heading over.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=214744

People can say what they want about Mayo but we're probably the best supported team in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

There are 2,000 Mayo fans heading over.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=214744

People can say what they want about Mayo but we're probably the best supported team in the country.

That's brilliant. Fair play. If Mayo make it to the All Ireland final, something should definitely be done to make sure that the fans who made the trip to NY get tickets to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

ProudDUB wrote: »
    That's brilliant. Fair play. If Mayo make it to the All Ireland final, something should definitely be done to make sure that the fans who made the trip to NY get tickets to it.

Not everyone can get time off or afford to go to new York......

km79 wrote: »
    Not everyone can get time off or afford to go to new York......

I can't even walk to get on the plane to go :D:D

All the ones who I know who are going are season ticket holders and would always at the match. But there are a few who are going for more holiday than Mayo ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

I can't even walk to get on the plane to go :D:D

All the ones who I know who are going are season ticket holders and would always at the match. But there are a few who are going for more holiday than Mayo ;)
    I've a season ticket and would LOVE to go but it ain't gonna happen :(

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    I've a season ticket and would LOVE to go but it ain't gonna happen :(

I still wore out from last year, the thought of another semi/Ai final will kill me yet! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement