Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Well it's a good thing Richie Feeney is out of favor

It would be a shame if they used an actual footballer as an impact half forward sub ahead of a 32 year old rugby retiree
    Indeed.

I really can't see him having Feeney's eye for a score, time will tell it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

GBXI wrote: »
    If they were good enough they'd be on the panel. If Duffy is good enough he'll be on the panel. It's as simple as that really.

I'm sure plenty of decent club players in Mayo would love to have the opportunity to prove they are good enough for this Mayo panel however they won't ever get that chance.
    km79 wrote: »
    He is not walking onto the panel . he is being given the opportunity to prove he is good enough to be brought into panel .like every club player in a match being watched Horan etc
    Fbd game, league games. There are still players on panel who have showed they are not good enough at the highest level BUT there was no one better so they keep their place year after year.
    If Duffy is better he will replace them and improve squads chance of AI glory. Simple.
    If Pearce Hanley returned in the morning I would hope he would also be given chance to earn his place........

Pearce Hanley would be a different situation. He's a lad that is playing a similar sport and was playing for gaelic football only 4 or 5 years ago. He would be only in his early 20s about to reach his physical peak. If he was to return he would likely be involved in pre-season training,FBD games and not asked into senior panel in the middle of May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I'm sure plenty of decent club players in Mayo would love to have the opportunity to prove they are good enough for this Mayo panel however they won't ever get that chance.

Pearce Hanley would be a different situation. He's a lad that is playing a similar sport and was playing for gaelic football only 4 or 5 years ago. He would be only in his early 20s about to reach his physical peak. If he was to return he would likely be involved in pre-season training,FBD games and not asked into senior panel in the middle of May.

Have to agree with you. WTF are the mayo management/selectors thinking bringing in a man well over 30 from a sport he played as a proffessional back:(. Surely they're not scraping the bottom of the bucket yet. When Duffy has proved he's one of the better club players in either the Galway or Mayo championships, its then he should be looked at from a county player point of view. Its the best of last year's minors that should be promoted, imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Have to agree with you. WTF are the mayo management/selectors thinking bringing in a man well over 30 from a sport he played as a proffessional back:(. Surely they're not scraping the bottom of the bucket yet. When Duffy has proved he's one of the better club players in either the Galway or Mayo championships, its then he should be looked at from a county player point of view. Its the best of last year's minors that should be promoted, imho.

You honestly think the minors are the answer to Mayo's problems in the forwards? It's a massive progression from the minors to seniors as we all know, both in physicality and intensity. Diarmuid O'Connor is certainly a talent but he's still there to be nurtured. Who else from the minors or the U21s even should we be considering at this stage? As far as I know Adam Gallagher is injured. Conor O'Shea was given a run out the last day.

If Duffy can leap into the air, grab the ball, turn and lay it off or smash it into the net, would you really care what age he is or what sport he has played for the past 14 years? His presence alone will intimidate any back line in the country. I don't buy into this notion that there has to be a linear progression into the senior squad, some club players around the county mightn't like it but nobody said ever inter-county football is fair. I remember similar grumblings when Ciaran McDonald was brought back into the panel in the mid 00's.

We shouldn't be looking a gift horse in the mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

People who seen Duffy at minor level know why he has been brought in. If he gets anything close to his former level of skill his pace and size make him useful. We can't afford to wait a season to prove himself at club level. I'm not sure all of this Mayo squad will be around next year. I'm sure he kept his kicking n soloing active down the years. In terms of dealing with physicality of modern game he will be comfortable with that. Movement and link play will take months but I'd see him as more of a guy who you wait for 3/4 big moments in a game than a linkup passer. He's physically another AOS. Defences already would have to tie up a big defender marking AOS. Any defence lacking physical defenders will be badly exposed. He can't be marked without size n power. Duffy is good in the air, big leap n judges the flight of the ball very well. There was no minor on last years team anything remotely close to him. At 32 looking after himself as a pro he would be well fit enough to take on a forward role

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

The last two posts from defiler and Dave are spot on imo.

Boo hoo to the other players. If horan thinks Duffy can add something to the panel then that's good enough for me.

He's physically 100%, has a good temperament coming from a pro background, has impressed at training and is passionate about mayo Gaa.

I really can't see why people are bending over backwards to make an issue out of this. If he can make an impact then his inclusion will have been worthwhile, if not then he joins a big list of players who have failed at inter county level, where's the harm? People need to get over his rugby background and at least show the man a bit of respect for the fact that he wants to play for mayo - it's not like he's getting paid for it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

I think its fantastic that having just ended a long and probably demanding professional rugby career he immediately wanted to represent Mayo.
    Hopefully it works out and ends up in the ultimate victory :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I don't buy the argument that one of last years minors should be blooded instead, their time will come. Let them focus on U21 and college football.

To be honest even if Duffy only kicks over 1 point in the whole championship, surly isn't that better than having a 19 year old kid sitting on the bench throughout the whole campaign without getting a look in because they aren't nearly physical enough for senior.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The more I read and listen to this debate the more my view on his inclusion has changed, I didn't initially think it was good but all the coverage he is getting then maybe its not a bad thing, it will put some focus on his and add a new dimension to our squad. He seems to have serious fielding ability and even though was a rugby player he doesn't carry the bulk but has from what I understand super power and fitness.
    He had a big rep even at minor and from reading a bit then he should have the ability.
    I am wondering if he wouldn't be a good full back/ centre back if required? Its hard to figure out where he will fit until he plays and it is still only at assessment stage, so he is not officially on the panel.

If they young lads are good enough then they will keep him off the panel. His introduction for his experience of playing sport at the highest level can only help us.

Club games this weekend?

I presume its Roscommon to take Leitrim or do we see any shock on the cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

yop wrote: »
    The more I read and listen to this debate the more my view on his inclusion has changed, I didn't initially think it was good but all the coverage he is getting then maybe its not a bad thing, it will put some focus on his and add a new dimension to our squad. He seems to have serious fielding ability and even though was a rugby player he doesn't carry the bulk but has from what I understand super power and fitness.
    He had a big rep even at minor and from reading a bit then he should have the ability.
    I am wondering if he wouldn't be a good full back/ centre back if required? Its hard to figure out where he will fit until he plays and it is still only at assessment stage, so he is not officially on the panel.

If they young lads are good enough then they will keep him off the panel. His introduction for his experience of playing sport at the highest level can only help us.

Club games this weekend?

Same, Same.

Anything that adds a buzz and excitement can't be bad. Fair play to Duffy for havings the b..... to try this and for Horan to give him an opportunity.

Ignore the Naysayers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

A drowning man sees all driftwood as a life raft.
    James Horan is a desperate man and its not hard to see why. This charade with Gavin Duffy is only the latest manifestation of that desperation.
    When Horan took the Mayo job they were on a low ebb and expectations were limited, he transformed the whole set-up and brought them to a place they had not been in over 60 years(one kick from The All Ireland).
    Indeed it could be argued he was unlucky not to deliver the All Ireland title but he had plenty good fortune too.In his first AI as manager he faced a non superpower of the game in Donegal(no disrespect intended) rather than a Kerry or aDublin or even a Cork. When Galway got a gift wrapped opportunity against Kildare they grabbed it, Maayo squandered their gilt edged chance.
    In his econd final as manager, his side faced Dublin. While not on the face of it a slice of luck to face such a side on their own turf but as it transpired Dublin failed to turn up on the day. A complete underperformance of the sort that usually results in a team lamenting "the one that got away" on this occasion saw them celebrating an AI win that in the first half seemed unlikely. Again Mayo spurned a genuine opportunity.
    The post mourtem that followed rightly and wrongly pointed the finger at Horan for decisions he made and failed to make. To Horan this must have seemed very unfair and ungrateful. If his team had lost to Donegal and Dubln in semi-finals in the same manner it would be viewed as building progress to loose finals is deemed failure.
    The latest League campaign yielded no new answers or fresh ideas. Horan is now being corralled toward his greatest fear, a third All Ireland final in a row with nothing more to offer than the previous two years. He must feel like the child in The Boy In The Stripped Pyjammas, swept along on a stamped to a fate he does not deserve.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ultrapercy wrote: »
    James Horan is a desperate man and its not hard to see why. This charade with Gavin Duffy is only the latest manifestation of that desperation.
    When Horan took the Mayo job they were on a low ebb and expectations were limited, he transformed the whole set-up and brought them to a place they had not been in over 60 years(one kick from The All Ireland).
    Indeed it could be argued he was unlucky not to deliver the All Ireland title but he had plenty good fortune too.In his first AI as manager he faced a non superpower of the game in Donegal(no disrespect intended) rather than a Kerry or aDublin or even a Cork. When Galway got a gift wrapped opportunity against Kildare they grabbed it, Maayo squandered their gilt edged chance.
    In his econd final as manager, his side faced Dublin. While not on the face of it a slice of luck to face such a side on their own turf but as it transpired Dublin failed to turn up on the day. A complete underperformance of the sort that usually results in a team lamenting "the one that got away" on this occasion saw them celebrating an AI win that in the first half seemed unlikely. Again Mayo spurned a genuine opportunity.
    The post mourtem that followed rightly and wrongly pointed the finger at Horan for decisions he made and failed to make. To Horan this must have seemed very unfair and ungrateful. If his team had lost to Donegal and Dubln in semi-finals in the same manner it would be viewed as building progress to loose finals is deemed failure.
    The latest League campaign yielded no new answers or fresh ideas. Horan is now being corralled toward his greatest fear, a third All Ireland final in a row with nothing more to offer than the previous two years. He must feel like the child in The Boy In The Stripped Pyjammas, swept along on a stamped to a fate he does not deserve.

Jason Gibbons, Adam Gallagher, Diarmuid O'Connor, Mickey Sweeny, highest scorers in the league, I think these are answers to who can play for Mayo. Higgins didn't work, hence why he was moved back to the backs.

So plenty of ideas and answers there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

One of the most accurate summations of Horans tenure I have read. I have followed this county all my life and have had my heart broken the same as everyone else. The thing that bothers me about the last two AI's is that Horan has never acknowledged his mistakes, if you don't admit mistakes then you are bound to repeat them. On another supporters site the vitriol and venom aimed towards one particular paper and a certain journalist for asking pertinent questions and fair criticism is insane. I fully acknowledge James Horan has done a fantastic job but it is not heresy to criticise him.
    In this case I genuinely believe that in Gavin Duffy we could finally have found the natural leader we have needed in this team. He is a proven winner with a professional mindset and I guarantee he will only bring good things to the panel. With Clarke back playing for Ballina things are starting to look a little brighter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Did you miss the five All-Irelands between 89-06?!

Anyway your posts in this thread have always come across as the self-loathing Mayo type. Labeling Duffy's inclusion in a training session as a charade and the act of a desperate man is bang out of order. Why can't you just see it for what it is, a potential game-changing player suddenly becoming available again. An act of desperation would be throwing him into the team for a QF or SF. What an earth is wrong with giving a player a chance to prove himself?
    Rawhead wrote: »
    On another supporters site the vitriol and venom aimed towards one particular paper and a certain journalist for asking pertinent questions and fair criticism is insane. I fully acknowledge James Horan has done a fantastic job but it is not heresy to criticise him.

The 'vitriol' and 'venom' you are referring to here was a reaction to a very questionable article with dubious sources written by a journalist with an axe to grind.

Did you miss the five All-Irelands between 89-06?!

Anyway your posts in this thread have always come across as the self-loathing Mayo type. Labeling Duffy's inclusion in a training session as a charade and the act of a desperate man is bang out of order. Why can't you just see it for what it is, a potential game-changing player suddenly becoming available again. An act of desperation would be throwing him into the team for a QF or SF. What an earth is wrong with giving a player a chance to prove himself?

The 'vitriol' and 'venom' you are referring to here was a reaction to a very questionable article with dubious sources written by a journalist with an axe to grind.

Well we do know UP's posts ended up the last time claiming GAA wasn't a real sport and that we all here lacking knowledge and not living in reality, so I do look forward to his posts every 3 or 4 months, usually after a league exit or AI exit, entertaining to say the least.

As for the CT every man and his dog knows JH has a personal issue with James Horan and uses the CT as he pedestal. We just laugh at him and ignore him.

I don't like zealotry in any of its forms and it is clear that some supporters feel that ANY criticism of the team or management is heresy. The reason most local journalists don't openly criticise the management is because it is professional suicide, that's not just in Mayo, it's country wide. It's a parasitic relationship, much the same as crime correspondents, they need each other.
    Aiden Henry has raised legitimate questions about the AI and Horans management style. 3 selectors have left and a THERE WAS A BUST UP WITH BUCKLEY. In saying all that I will reiterate that I think Gavin Duffy could really be the most significant addition to the squad in the last 3 years and I applaud Horan for making such a bold move, to often managers are criticised for not thinking outside the box.
    Blind, unquestioning loyalty is not the measure of a supporter.

If Duffy can leap into the air, grab the ball, turn and lay it off or smash it into the net, would you really care what age he is or what sport he has played for the past 14 years? His presence alone will intimidate any back line in the country. I don't buy into this notion that there has to be a linear progression into the senior squad, some club players around the county mightn't like it but nobody said ever inter-county football is fair. I remember similar grumblings when Ciaran McDonald was brought back into the panel in the mid 00's.

We shouldn't be looking a gift horse in the mouth.

I'll believe that when i see him do it a couple of times in Croker next August. There is no way he'll be at that standard in a couple of months. Parachuting a former minor into the Senior panel gives all the wrong signals to aspiring players. As for a gift horse..... well lets hope its not a donkey:rolleyes:.

I'll believe that when i see him do it a couple of times in Croker next August. There is no way he'll be at that standard in a couple of months. Parachuting a former minor into the Senior panel gives all the wrong signals to aspiring players. As for a gift horse..... well lets hope its not a donkey:rolleyes:.

Your right, every aspiring young player will now live in fear of the inevitable retirement of Pierce Hanley and him being parachuted into his position. I think Croke Park should intervene before all our young players pack in the game because of the genuine and real threat of professional athletes retiring and coming back into the county setup, there must be hundreds of them out there, just lurking, waiting to shatter young lads dreams.
    On the subject of donkeys........

Why bother writing him off already? No way of knowing what standard he will be at.

As for the aspiring players that's nonsense, if they're good enough then let them fight their way onto the panel. Horan is hardly going to say "sorry Gavin, I think you would benefit the team right now but we have to think of the other players feelings"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Club games this weekend?

Underage Duffy mainly played midfield for Ballina. Don't think he ever played in defence. His role is simpler if played upfront.
    1. Option on our kickout
    2. Target man closer to goal
    3. Create goal chances/penalties/tapover frees/black cards.

• Advertisement

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Why bother writing him off already? No way of knowing what standard he will be at.

As for the aspiring players that's nonsense, if they're good enough then let them fight their way onto the panel. Horan is hardly going to say "sorry Gavin, I think you would benefit the team right now but we have to think of the other players feelings"

Just look at Sean Og O hAilpin acouple of years ago. Was dropped/ fell out for a year. When he was recalled by JBM(?) he was taken to the cleaners against either Tipp or Limerick. Was way off the pace and he was only out for a year and was playing with his club continually.

It is infinitely more difficult to adjust to the pace of top six gaelic football after a number of years absence. I am not at all convinced that this move will be a success in just 3 or so months. As for fighting for a place, that should apply in all cases, including Duff's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Lest not rewrite history here

Donegal 2012 were a juggernaut, there is no doubt about that.
    They were possibly the most single minded dedicated group of athletes you are ever likely to see.

They were not Kildare '98, Mayo '04, '06, Cork '07 or Down '10.

Cork or Kerry in 2012 would have been easier for Mayo than Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Sceptic here re the Gavin Duffy recall,prepared as a heretic to be burned at the stake and hung,drawn and quartered.:D It's a bold move by James Horan,fair play to the lad himself.As was already mentioned who knows what standard he'll be at?More than willing to see how it plays out,I'll be delighted if the experiment turns out to be a success.It has definitely has created a buzz around the county after the relative gloom after the league semi final defeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I think Duffy may well turn out to be a good addition but he will have a lot to do skills and game play wise to get a sniff of a championship jersey, its probably unlikely that he will have any impact this summer but well worth a look at and nothing to lose really, if he doesn't cut it in connacht he can be forgotten about against stronger competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Jaysus. Is it a full moon tonight?.

It's a good thing, I cannot see any negatives from it.

The league was a damp squid, and the overall feeling within the county after 2 all-ireland losses and an indifferent league campaign was one of self-loathing.

Now all of a sudden the feel good factor is back in Mayo football.
    The team is without a doubt in the top 3 in the county...what we require is positivity going into the championship and this just may be the tonic that's needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I don't buy the argument that one of last years minors should be blooded instead, their time will come. Let them focus on U21 and college football.

To be honest even if Duffy only kicks over 1 point in the whole championship, surly isn't that better than having a 19 year old kid sitting on the bench throughout the whole campaign without getting a look in because they aren't nearly physical enough for senior.

When Mayo won Connacht in 2009 Aidan O'Shea was 19 as was Cillian O'Connor in 2011. If you're good enough, you're old enough...

Have mixed feelings about Gavin Duffy i suppose its no harm to see what he offers however Horan has been sticking with 12 or so starters from his 2011 team he probably needs to trust his bench a bit more.
    Jason Gibbons, Adam Gallagher, Diarmuid O'Connor, Mickey Sweeny, highest scorers in the league, I think these are answers to who can play for Mayo. Higgins didn't work, hence why he was moved back to the backs.

So plenty of ideas and answers there.

Mayo have plenty of midfield options i'm not sure how much more Gibbons adds to the side. Is Gallagher injured or has fallen out of favor? With Alan Dillon fit again and Alan Freeman returning how likely is Diarmuid O'Connor to start and same goes for Mickey Sweeney i think he was on the panel before also.

Higgins,Keegan,Boyle are arguably the best footballers on panel it was no harm trying these things during the league however all three should remain in defence.

When Mayo won Connacht in 2009 Aidan O'Shea was 19 as was Cillian O'Connor in 2011. If you're good enough, you're old enough...

Yeah but AOS was some sort of freak man-child when he was on that minor team, he already had the physical attributes to adjust to senior easily.
    COC was an exceptional minor as well in terms of skill and the fact that he is a very good free taker meant that he was a valuable asset to fast-tract to senior.

While last years minors won the AIF, I don't think that there is anybody from the panel who is ready for senior championship football yet so the inclusion of Duffy is not impending on any young lads progress within the panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yeah but AOS was some sort of freak man-child when he was on that minor team, he already had the physical attributes to adjust to senior easily.
    COC was an exceptional minor as well in terms of skill and the fact that he is a very good free taker meant that he was a valuable asset to fast-tract to senior.

While last years minors won the AIF, I don't think that there is anybody from the panel who is ready for senior championship football yet so the inclusion of Duffy is not impending on any young lads progress within the panel.

Even if it was what difference in the world would that make?

2014 is a live chance for Mayo to win an All Ireland after all this time - **** developing minors ffs, pick the best panel possible. People's priorities baffle me at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

keane2097 wrote: »
    Even if it was what difference in the world would that make?

2014 is a live chance for Mayo to win an All Ireland after all this time - **** developing minors ffs, pick the best panel possible. People's priorities baffle me at times.

If its about picking the best panel possible would it not be better for Mayo to call Evan Regan into the panel instead of some retired rugby player that hasn't played football for 13 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

If its about picking the best panel possible would it not be better for Mayo to call Evan Regan into the panel instead of some retired rugby player that hasn't played football for 13 years?

Because maybe that retired rugby player potentially offers more than Evan Regan.

Regan and horan have fallen out it seems.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Regan and horan have fallen out it seems.

FFS!!

I'm picking up a vibe that Horan's reign may be unravelling.

I watched Evan Regan in Castlebar against the Rossies in the U21 game. Apart from the opening goal he was anonymous. He is not the panacea that people think. Evan Regan and all those other young lads have loads of time. 5 year plans and youth development program's are great but we are in the now and Gavin Duffy offers solutions for 2014.
    I genuinely cannot see how anyone can see negatives from Duffys inclusion in the panel. James Horan has scoured the county for the past three years looking for forwards and I think everyone acknowledges that we need a center forward. Here we have a proven winner, a natural leader and a former professional sportsman offering his services. He is not the messiah but by god he is a serious addition to any team.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    FFS!!

From what I hear it's not that difficult to fall out with young Evan. No dispersions on the lad, he just has the cocky swagger of youth and knows he's talented.

• Advertisement

From what I hear it's not that difficult to fall out with young Evan. No dispersions on the lad, he just has the cocky swagger of youth and knows he's talented.

Diarmuid Connollys change in attitude under Jim Gavin springs to mind, definitely a deficiency in the man management department with JH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

I watched Evan Regan in Castlebar against the Rossies in the U21 game. Apart from the opening goal he was anonymous. He is not the panacea that people think. Evan Regan and all those other young lads have loads of time. 5 year plans and youth development program's are great but we are in the now and Gavin Duffy offers solutions for 2014.
    I genuinely cannot see how anyone can see negatives from Duffys inclusion in the panel. James Horan has scoured the county for the past three years looking for forwards and I think everyone acknowledges that we need a center forward. Here we have a proven winner, a natural leader and a former professional sportsman offering his services. He is not the messiah but by god he is a serious addition to any team.

Evan Regan was one of the top scoring forwards in the Mayo club championship last autumn and at the start of the year he stood in his college side IT Sligo for example scoring 0-10 against the Sigerson cup finalists, he's 21 now. I don't get this theory that a former minor midfielder from 13 years ago can suddenly become the senior centre forward that Mayo are looking for?

If the rumours about Jason Gibbons injury are true Gavin Duffy will probably be brought in as midfield cover however with the two O'Sheas,Parsons and Barry Moran its not that Mayo are lacking options in that department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Diarmuid Connollys change in attitude under Jim Gavin springs to mind, definitely a deficiency in the man management department with JH.

Actually I believe its more the steady girlfriend and the bail out from his club relating to other "incidents" that have calmed him down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Good article on the Duffy situation here.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/why-mayo-couldnrsquot-say-no-to-duffy-269023.html

As the article mentions, a huge amount will depend on what sort of shape he is in skills-wise.

I would suspect soloing will be the major issue - as a rugby back I'd assume his kicking and catching and handling will be okayish enough and his fitness even at 32 as a former full-time pro will surely not be a major issue but he will be very limited if he can't manage the solo, especially if the plan is to have him running at defences. After soloing I would say his ability to shoot is the 2nd most important thing - if he can't get the skill to shoot at the posts/or net under pressure with a degree of reliability back, it would leave him a very limited prospect. It will be very interesting to see how his defensive skills match up as well. I really can't see him throwing too many shoulders but it will be very interesting to see what sort of pressure he can put on opposition players when they have the ball and how he will cope with trying to tackle opponents.

If I was Horan I'd have him soloing the ball everywhere 7 days a week and when he wasn't soloing, practising his shooting at the posts and at goals. If he can manage to get his soloing back in some sort of working order it would make him a much more dangerous threat in my opinion, even if his shooting is only very average.

Does anyone know if he has a job at the moment or what's the story there?

If he's starting a new full-time job in an office or a factory or something like that for the first time in years, it will be a hell of a lot to cope with in terms of a change in lifestyle from being a full-time sports professional and restrict his hours in terms of training.

However if he has a few months off or some sort of part-time job where it wasn't a massive cultural shift things could be a whole lot easier - the article does mention a degree in strength and conditioning so if he was working in a gym or doing coaching it would make things a whole lot easier in terms of time and not being as much of a shift in his lifestyle from being a pro athlete.

It will be very interesting to see how things develop with this anyway.

The threat of playing his football in the D yard in Mountjoy for a year helped his attitude as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The threat of playing his football in the D yard in Mountjoy for a year helped his attitude as well.

Was he the Dublin player upon charges for an alleged assault?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Totally agree Rawhead,watched Evan Regan at the under 21s game and outside his goal he was anonymous.There had been rave reviews about him post the FBD league.He has indeed got time on his side.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭royster999

irishgeo wrote: »
    Was he the Dublin player upon charges for an alleged assault?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

royster999 wrote: »
    Yes.

I assume he got off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

FFS!!

Oh don't be such a drama queen

Oh don't be such a drama queen

I disagree, there just seems to be one little incident after another since the AI Final and during it come to think of it which tells me things are not as they should be.

Freeman.

Feeney.

Higgins.

Regan.

Duffy.

Don't try to tell me any of the above incidents haven't planted the smallest seed of doubt in the player's minds as regards Horan.

irishgeo wrote: »
    I assume he got off

Yep, in a way. Had to pay some compo to the guy he clocked, iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Hi sky boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Syferus wrote: »
    Hi sky boys.

Well done on the win.
    See ye on the 8th, no doubt ye will be cocky as hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

After beating a s1hite Leitrim team why would they be cocky.......................
    Nice of u to drop in Mr Roscommon

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement