Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

That's a disaster for Mayos hopes, but more importantly lets hope Andy recovers fully from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

I gladly would have sacrificed a few points yesterday if we could have kept Andy :(

Otherwise a fine performance by Mayo. They won every single ball and the full-forwards have made amends for the Sligo match. No doubt we'll give the Dubs a good game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

****ing awful news. Sort of knew from Andy's reaction when he went off down the tunnel that was it for him this year :( Big challenge made even tougher for Mayo now

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Not good news for us that.
    He gives us so many options, but we have 3 weeks to devise a different system.

We have a number of options now from what I can see.

We have a bench, Freeman or Varley, pick either to go into the corner.

Change the system, we can move in Moran/McGar/Seam O'Shea/Gerathy into fullforward and have the corners feeding off him.

Change the system, move O'Connor into fullforward, has done well in there, put in Gerarthy/Feeney into centre half, this would also counteract the Dub surge through the middle and offer a bit more power.

Murphy lad from BRobe, this lad seems to be doing very well and has played in the A v B match during the week and did well, worth a shot from the bench even.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

yop wrote: »
    Not good news for us that.
    He gives us so many options, but we have 3 weeks to devise a different system.

We have a number of options now from what I can see.

We have a bench, Freeman or Varley, pick either to go into the corner.

Change the system, we can move in Moran/McGar/Seam O'Shea/Gerathy into fullforward and have the corners feeding off him.

Change the system, move O'Connor into fullforward, has done well in there, put in Gerarthy/Feeney into centre half, this would also counteract the Dub surge through the middle and offer a bit more power.

Murphy lad from BRobe, this lad seems to be doing very well and has played in the A v B match during the week and did well, worth a shot from the bench even.

I'd move Cillian O'Connor into full forward (not convinced about him on the 40 anyways) and move O'Shea to centre forward simply because i dont think he has the running ability to match Bastick and especially McAuley. Stick Geraghty in midfield.

Wouldnt be happy playing Varley or Freeman. They arent good enough for that level in my opinion and we'll need to be very clinical upfront against the Dubs.

Wouldn't move Moran now especially the way he has performed in midfield. Conroy could have a big role now

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Wouldn't move Moran now especially the way he has performed in midfield. Conroy could have a big role now
    Agree totally, he had a great 2nd half and I think he has the shoulders to move up another step for us.
    I'd move Cillian O'Connor into full forward (not convinced about him on the 40 anyways) and move O'Shea to centre forward simply because i dont think he has the running ability to match Bastick and especially McAuley. Stick Geraghty in midfield.

Wouldnt be happy playing Varley or Freeman. They arent good enough for that level in my opinion and we'll need to be very clinical upfront against the Dubs.

Unfortunately neither have what it takes, Murphy has to be worth a punt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Bring back Mortimer:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Bring back Mortimer:)

if your bringing back anyone it should be a performer not a person who's so full of his own ****e that he could'nt handle not starting , so i say bring back mac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Relieved that Kerry are gone. They are about the only side Mayo fear in the championship, all others we have at least a 50-50 chance including Dublin.

Mortimor is physically too small for the business end of the championship. He just gets pushed around and as a full forward has absolutely no presence.

We need a 6'4" full forward not a 5'4" one.

• Advertisement

Any chance Moran will be back for the final if we get there ?

Any chance Moran will be back for the final if we get there ?

None, theres a statement from the county board earlier in the thread saying his season is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

Assuming Moran is missing, I still think Mayo could well take Dublin. If I was Horan I'd probably try and replace him with a target man and try and get O'Connor/Conroy/Doherty to feed off them. They'll need some variation against Dublin. You can't beat a mixed game imo.
    Personally of all the teams left I'd like to see Mayo win, although I wouldn't put money on it. They've no reason to fear anyone and once thats the case they have a chance. If they match Dublin for intensity and have more hunger I'd give them a great chance in a months time.

plasmaguy wrote: »
    Relieved that Kerry are gone. They are about the only side Mayo fear in the championship, all others we have at least a 50-50 chance including Dublin.

I don't agree unfortunately. *If* we get past Dublin I really wouldn't fancy our chances against Cork, not after the walloping they gave Kildare today. Also I would have doubts that our forward line could break down the Donegal defence, the Kerry forwards were starved of ball today. Couple that with Moran's loss we would be underdogs against either.

I'm quite confident we can beat Dublin, they didn't impress yesterday and missed an an awful lot of scorable points. They don't seem to have improved from last year at all.

No matter what happens against Dublin, all the Mayo begrudgers have been kept quiet for another year. Connacht titles and AI semi finals in James Horan two years in charge is real progess. He deserves great credit after the mess a couple years ago

And a league final.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Just back from a joyous trip to the capital.Delighted with the results,minors were super.Only caught the second half of the minor game.
    We were impressive but that was the worst Down team I have ever seen.Down's defence made us look like superstars,we kicked a lot of awful wides and conceded too much.We can't afford to be so open against Dublin,I do not think Keith Higgins and Donal Vaughan will be able to go rampaging forward to the same degree.Their hands shall be full and Dublin are well capable of cutting us open.Their first duty ak defending will be paramount.Having said that our defence and midfield are our stongest sectors.Barry Moran continues to flourish,caught some great clean ball,Aidan O' Shea made a big difference.Alan Dillon was magnificent!
    Terrible news re Andy Moran after his previous injury,incalculable loss.Yes the Dubs were very poor but Alan Brogan will be back.He is a much a playmaker as Andy,he'll make a huge difference to the Dubs.Fearful our forwards will be our achilles heel against Dublin.
    Any thoughts on the standard of football this weekend?Thought it was quite poor,too many unforced errors,pulling and dragging,cynical fouls and poor shooting.Cork looked by far the most impressive of the remaining contenders this weekend.

Some talk of Ronan McGarrity been drafted into midfield,Aidan O Shea centre half forward??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Seamus o shea mite be a better option at center half forward.Mc Garrity isnt physical enough for midfield which is something A o Shea certainly offers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭JayReale

Seamus o shea mite be a better option at center half forward.Mc Garrity isnt physical enough for midfield which is something A o Shea certainly offers

Agree with this.... Surprised SO'S didn't get some game time on Saturday.

Do the Mayo fans feel Cian O'Neill's inclusion to the back room team has made a difference? i know for sure that fitness wise he was highly thought of in Tipperary and brought us on in leaps and bounds.

Yeah, I'd leave AOS where eye is, maybe put his brother up the front, it's one way of handling Dublin too, if the midfielders can do as they have been doing and lob high balls into the big lad (SOS) up front, could make all the difference. Not sure how good Seamus is in front of the posts but he certainly can catch it and if he's tasked to lay it off to the other forwards it might work. of course if he's able to score a point or 2, no harm either.

We don't have the capability to take points from way out, Dillon will be targeted to ensure he gets as little as possible, so they others will need to step up and one thing we don't appear to be able to do is shoot points from distance. Andy Moran and Alan Dillon are the only 2 forwards I've seen do that from our current batch.

Agree that McGarrity is not going to be the answer to our problems, the game has become a lot more physical and I just don't see him having the qualities we need right now. I'd look for someone new rather than go down that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭JayReale

Do the Mayo fans feel Cian O'Neill's inclusion to the back room team has made a difference? i know for sure that fitness wise he was highly thought of in Tipperary and brought us on in leaps and bounds.

He certainly does seem to have made a difference Tipp_Gunner... Difficult to quantify exactly how much as they were going in the right direction last year. Fitness levels don't seem to be an issue.

JayReale wrote: »
    He certainly does seem to have made a difference Tipp_Gunner... Difficult to quantify exactly how much as they were going in the right direction last year. Fitness levels don't seem to be an issue.

Cian is a former Kildare and Moorefield footballer himself so i think his role with Mayo involves work with the football as much as anything id imagine

Blackjack wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd leave AOS where eye is, maybe put his brother up the front, it's one way of handling Dublin too, if the midfielders can do as they have been doing and lob high balls into the big lad (SOS) up front, could make all the difference. Not sure how good Seamus is in front of the posts but he certainly can catch it and if he's tasked to lay it off to the other forwards it might work. of course if he's able to score a point or 2, no harm either.

We don't have the capability to take points from way out, Dillon will be targeted to ensure he gets as little as possible, so they others will need to step up and one thing we don't appear to be able to do is shoot points from distance. Andy Moran and Alan Dillon are the only 2 forwards I've seen do that from our current batch.

Agree that McGarrity is not going to be the answer to our problems, the game has become a lot more physical and I just don't see him having the qualities we need right now. I'd look for someone new rather than go down that route.
    Totally agreed the other forwards are going to have up to the mark in terms of taking a point from a distance,very big concern.

• Advertisement

Any truth in the rumors of Kieran McDonnell coming back? I assume not ?

I'd say they're only rumours in fairness.

i see thay the mayo minor match against meath is on the 26 august and the mayo senior match against dublin is on the 2 sept. that a rite fxxk up for supporters but done 2suit the dubs again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

i see thay the mayo minor match against meath is on the 26 august and the mayo senior match against dublin is on the 2 sept. that a rite fxxk up for supporters but done 2suit the dubs again

And pray tell me "How it is done to suit the Dubs again"?

Its actually how it rolled, because we beat Tipp, we effectively became "Munster champions" for the fixture list. Kerry became "Connaught champions" by virtue of beating Roscommon.

The fixtures wre decided in advance it was just how the winners of each province/ match up fell.

• Advertisement

blackbelt wrote: »
    And pray tell me "How it is done to suit the Dubs again"?
    both minor amd senior games that include dublin are on the same day and croke park on yer doorstep while mayo fans have to travel up to the capital twice n 8 days if they want to support mayo.im sure it could be changed if need be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

both minor amd senior games that include dublin are on the same day and croke park on yer doorstep while mayo fans have to travel up to the capital twice n 8 days if they want to support mayo.im sure it could be changed if need be

So then, it wasn't 'done to suit the Dubs', rather it wasn't 'undone to suit Mayo'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Alaska1

So putting the Mayo / Tipp Minor game last Saturday before the Mayo / Down Senior game in CROKE PARK while Dublin Minors played Monaghan in NEWRY on Sunday evening was to 'suit the Dubs also' ??

So you would like to ignore the fact that the draw for the minor games were set Munster /Connaught etc etc...

But don't let the facts get in the way of a good bit of bias there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

seligehgit wrote: »
    Totally agreed the other forwards are going to have up to the mark in terms of taking a point from a distance,very big concern.

At the half time analysis of the Down game on the TV Ciaran Whelan said that Sligo manager, Kevin Walsh, said that what Sligo did was try to prevent Mayo scoring early goals, beacuse Mayo go out and try to get early goals.

It certainly worked v Down but it will probably be much more difficult v Dublin.

I do not know that much about Dublin, but are they a team that Mayo can run at and get close to goal ?

If Mayo put enough pressure there it might free up Dillon further out to score points from distance.

But I may be totally off base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

GAA Master Fixture List dictates when a team plays.If you have issues with travelling to support your team then don;t travel.We suited ourselves by winning the games we were fixed to play.Whatever way it fell for Mayo is up to yourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

If he doesn't get a call-up, the McDonald family are set to release a statement on the value of their precious boy, and how he's better than all the other boys on the team

If he doesn't get a call-up, the McDonald family are set to release a statement on the value of their precious boy, and how he's better than all the other boys on the team

That McDonald talk is just crazy rumour that makes zero sense, and has zero credibility

Why bring in a guy in his 30s who has not featured for a few years when you have a bench full of forwards who should be chomping at the bit to go out and prove all of us who think they are not up to it wrong.

Two options

1. Keep Cillian O' Conor at half forward and put some combination of Doherty/Freeman/Varley/Conroy inside and hope they can step up.

2. Move Cillian o' Conor inside with some combiantion of Doherty/Freeman/Varley/Conroy and put Sheamus O' Shea at centre half forward. SOS can win ball there and feed it inside.

They cannot get it into their heads that they cannot win without Andy Moran, or else it becomes a self fulling prophesy and it also becomes and excuse if they loose.

Oh I can't wait !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

id have McDonnell on the bench no problem but id say its all ****1e talk

naughto wrote: »
    id have McDonnell on the bench no problem but id say its all ****1e talk

why ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

why ?
    i cant see them bringing back some one whos is it 34/35 to the mayo setup.even if they do he would only be an inpact sub(last 20minsof the game)

• Advertisement

Disappointed for the minors today. Thought we had them at half time but our 2nd half performance was poor. The Meath curse continues!

jesus the ref was dire for the minor game got many decisions wrong including the penalty

jesus the ref was dire for the minor game got many decisions wrong including the penalty

It's not the ref's fault only a single point was scored by Mayo in the 2nd half. Meath were rampant, very wasteful in the 2nd half, could have won by more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

It's not the ref's fault only a single point was scored by Mayo in the 2nd half. Meath were rampant, very wasteful in the 2nd half, could have won by more
    Mayo scored four points in the second half.

i dont know what game u were watching .yes mayo had the game for the taking but when a ref seems hellbent on giving the other team every chance to win its not easy. colm o rourke on rte even said the ref was brutal and hes a feckin meath man

i dont know what game u were watching .yes mayo had the game for the taking but when a ref seems hellbent on giving the other team every chance to win its not easy. colm o rourke on rte even said the ref was brutal and hes a feckin meath man

Mayo were completely outplayed in the last 25 minutes, yes the ref was brutal but Meath fought hard and Mayo simply had no answer. To blame it entirely on the ref is farcical. Meath should never have had them chances in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

The ref was brutal and like in 2009 ( won't bring up '96), Meath have beaten us with some very dodgy decisions going their way.

Still though you have to look at that 2nd half, we were poor. There was a 28 minute period where we didn't score. If we had taken a few points in that spell then it's game over and even the referee couldn't have changed it.
    It's all a learning process though at minor level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

haha I was thinking that maybe I was being a bit biased when I thought the ref was against Mayo, but when Joe Brolly, Pat Spillane and Colm O'Rourke were calling the ref brutal it reassured me a wee bit

There's 2 ways of looking at that loss:
    1) They didn't score for 25 minutes in the second half when they should have continued the scoring run they had.
    2) The ref lost the game for them. I mean a foot block?! Are ya fúckin serious? He was no-where near him to call that a foot block. Then the push out on the sideline before the penalty. And the pick-up off the ground before the second goal. I don't like giving refs abuse cos they get enough of it and it's a tough job. But they were some very strange decisions to give, no matter how difficult a ref's job is, the calls in today's game were blatantly wrong.

And 2 goals in the space of 5 minutes, was it? Meath missed a lot of chances earlier on, I didn't think they'd create - let alone score - 2 goals in that space of time

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

ColeTrain wrote: »
    The ref was brutal and like in 2009 ( won't bring up '96), Meath have beaten us with some very dodgy decisions going their way.
    Christ almighty :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Christ almighty :rolleyes:

Zombie Jesus Monkey Balls :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

^That sentence is better than your reply.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement