Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

eastmayo wrote: »
    Anyone no what time the minors are playing at next Saturday in tuam?

Throw in at six I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Wow that Shane Walsh has a sweet ciotog,not half bad right foot either.Not sure what the status of James Kavanagh's injury is and the other wounded...Sean Armstrong?

Very tidy forwards and solid midfield,will put it up to our lads.Stern test me think awaits us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

seligehgit wrote: »
    Wow that Shane Walsh has a sweet ciotog,not half bad right foot either.Not sure what the status of James Kavanagh's injury is and the other wounded...Sean Armstrong?

Very tidy forwards and solid midfield,will put it up to our lads.Stern test me think awaits us.

Some left foot for a lad who's right footed!! Ah he looks class, like watching a young Michael Donnellan.

Galway have lots of good footballers, I just get the impression Mayo are a way better drilled outfit, with a strong bench. I expect them to show that on the 13th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

GBXI wrote: »
    Some left foot for a lad who's right footed!! Ah he looks class, like watching a young Michael Donnellan.

Galway have lots of good footballers, I just get the impression Mayo are a way better drilled outfit, with a strong bench. I expect them to show that on the 13th.

Certainly hope they do.

I am looking for Mayo to show us that they are serious about 2014 by winning comprehensively, not the muck we saw in Roscommon

Certainly hope they do.

I am looking for Mayo to show us that they are serious about 2014 by winning comprehensively, not the muck we saw in Roscommon

I think they really need to have a good performance too, even just for their own confidence. It's probably been since the end of March that we last saw them put in a good performance and that was against the Dubs. We're usually very strong in Castlebar under Horan though, so expecting a good show.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

What did lads make of Derry? Strange how they "beat us" (still think we actually beat ourselves) in the league semi and then go out to Longford their so called bogey team at home last Sat night.
    Saw someone before say the league gives a better indicator of where teams are than a championship, well I think after this weekend we can now nail that on the head and say NO.

Cork and Kerry were piss poor, Galway looked efficient as did Donegal once they got going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

He's not as outright fast as Donnellan was although he is fairly quick.

Has a lovely casual languid style though. Reminds me a bit of Ciaran McDonald or Maurice Fitz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Certainly hope they do.

I've heard a lot of people trot out this kind of stuff over the last two weeks.
    The performance in the Hyde was far from good and our inability to break down the blanket was poor, along with some poor shooting in the first half.

Still though, it has to be said that the surface was very bad for a game of football. Players struggled on it all day.

Anyone at the match will also tell you about Roscommon's tactics. There were times when they didn't even have one forward in the Mayo half.
    With all that in mind and the fact we were away from home and behind by 3 with less than 10mins left in our first real game of the seasons, is there not a positive to take from that?

We still got out with the win and that showed some character for me, something that people have been questioning over the last few months - we all know that this team can play so it's nice to see mental resolve being demonstrated.
    In contrast Dublin - the new Harlem Globetrotters- were behind by two at half time playing at home on a perfect surface. You wonder would they have come out of Portlaoise with a win on a bad surface and tighter pitch, with the home support with their tails up....

ColeTrain wrote: »
    I've heard a lot of people trot out this kind of stuff over the last two weeks.
    The performance in the Hyde was far from good and our inability to break down the blanket was poor, along with some poor shooting in the first half.

Still though, it has to be said that the surface was very bad for a game of football. Players struggled on it all day.

Anyone at the match will also tell you about Roscommon's tactics. There were times when they didn't even have one forward in the Mayo half.
    With all that in mind and the fact we were away from home and behind by 3 with less than 10mins left in our first real game of the seasons, is there not a positive to take from that?

We still got out with the win and that showed some character for me, something that people have been questioning over the last few months - we all know that this team can play so it's nice to see mental resolve being demonstrated.
    In contrast Dublin - the new Harlem Globetrotters- were behind by two at half time playing at home on a perfect surface. You wonder would they have come out of Portlaoise with a win on a bad surface and tighter pitch, with the home support with their tails up....

I appreciate that it was a good come from behind win, and to some degree shows character.

However then had double digit number of wides in the first half, some from scorable positions, that if scored would have made it far more comfortable in the end.

Its that part of the performance that worries me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I appreciate that it was a good come from behind win, and to some degree shows character.

However then had double digit number of wides in the first half, some from scorable positions, that if scored would have made it far more comfortable in the end.

Its that part of the performance that worries me.
    Some of the wides were aimless passes that drifted out over the end line that area needs improving also. The rossies kicked a number of wides in 2nd half maybe the scoreboard end was difficult to score into? Galway are unlikely to set up defensive so I would expect a more comfortable mayo win in the final.

• Advertisement

Some of the wides were aimless passes that drifted out over the end line that area needs improving also. The rossies kicked a number of wides in 2nd half maybe the scoreboard end was difficult to score into? Galway are unlikely to set up defensive so I would expect a more comfortable mayo win in the final.

I too expect an easier win, IMO Roscommon are the 2nd best team in Connaught.
    But that being said I still want to see a better, more confident performance from Mayo.
    I am no fan of this "wait till August and we will up our game" talk, after less than impressive provincial and league form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

So Round 2 of the Senior Championship was played last weekend. This is how it panned out and where it leaves each team:

Group 1
    - Castlebar 2-22 Crossmolina 1-5
    - Ballintubber 3-16 Shrule/GC 0-12

(Castlebar and Ballintubber almost certaintly through, likely to come down to points difference between Crossmolina and Shrule/Glencorrib to decide who will be in the relegation playoffs)

Group 2
    - Ballinrobe 0-11 Knockmore 0-14
    - Garrymore 2-13 Kiltane 0-13

(Garrymore and Knockmore through and will face eachother to decide who finishes top, Ballinrobe and Kiltane will battle eachother to avoid the relegation playoffs)

Group 3
    - Davitts 1-11 Charlestown 0-16
    - Ballaghaderreen 3-13 Westport 0-10

(Ballagh' look very good to go through, but everything else is still up in the air. Charlestown, Westport and Davitts can still all finish 2nd and can all finish 4th)

Group 4
    - Claremorris 3-13 Breaffy 4-17
    - Ballina 0-10 Aghamore 2-4

(Breaffy through, the other 3 can all yet finish 2nd or 4th, all to play for)

Pity that there isnt more club discussion in this forum, seems to be 99% about the county team

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Amazing how the axis of power has shifted from Ballina/cross/knockmore to castlebar/breaffy/ballintubber.
    I suppose ideally you would like your two county towns being strong. I think now that castlebar have the monkey off their back county wise they could really dominate for the next few years.
    AOS is giving powerhouse performances for Breaffy at centre back I believe.

Rawhead wrote: »
    Amazing how the axis of power has shifted from Ballina/cross/knockmore to castlebar/breaffy/ballintubber.
    I suppose ideally you would like your two county towns being strong. I think now that castlebar have the monkey off their back county wise they could really dominate for the next few years.

I heard he is playing very well there too, but hard to judge as both games were against Claremorris. Breaffy are again a good bet to at least get to a county final. I could see them winning it if they keep everyone fit.

Rawhead wrote: »

Castlebar, Ballintubber and Breaffy are way ahead of everyone else now in my opinion, we then have a chasing pack where anyone can beat anyone on their day. But those 3 dont look like being touched.

MAYO MINOR FOOTBALL TEAM - V'S - GALWAY   26/06/2014
    The All-Ireland Minor Football Champions Mayo open their 2014 Minor Football Championship campaign when they travel to Tuam Stadium this coming Saturday evening 28th June where they will take on Galway in the Electric Ireland Connacht GAA Minor Football Championship Semi-Final. Throw-In time is 5.30p.m. Mayo Minor Team Manager Enda Gilvarry has selected the strongest possible side for this clash as the loosers will exit the competition. Only one player from last years starting All-Ireland Minor Football Final, Sean Conlon, remains in the side along with Conor Byrne who came on as a sub in last years Final. Cian Hanley of Ballaghaderreen who was injured for last years final captains the team. The Mayo Minor Football Team to face Galway is as follows:

Matthew Flanagan

Balla

Mikey Barrett

Belmullet

Barry Duffy

Balla

Eoin O Donoghue

Belmullet

Jason Forkan

Kiltimagh

Sean Conlon

Castlebar

Conor Kilkenny

Aughamore

Gary Walsh

Breaffy

Matthew Ruane

Breaffy

Sharoize Akram

Ballaghderreen

Cian Hanley (Capt)

Ballaghderreen

Oisin Horan

Kilmovee

Conor Byrne

Moy Davitts

T J Byrne

Kiltimagh

Brian Reape

Moy Davitts

Scott Kilker

Belmullet

Stephen Brennan

Claremorris

Dylan Cannon

Breaffy

Gary McHale

Balla

Keith Hopkins

Crossmolina

David Hanley

Burrishoole

Fionan Duffy

Crossmolina

Liam Byrne

Moy Davits

Jack Reilly

Charlestown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

An all Breaffy midfield for the minors as well. they must be feeding them well out there. Haven't seen that many Balla players on a Mayo panel in a few years. Am I right in thinking Akram of Ballagh is quite highly rated?

Also - is Mikey Barrett any relation to Chris?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

An all Breaffy midfield for the minors as well. they must be feeding them well out there. Haven't seen that many Balla players on a Mayo panel in a few years. Am I right in thinking Akram of Ballagh is quite highly rated?

Also - is Mikey Barrett any relation to Chris?
    I had noticed that last year that Balla were getting some good young players through. Great to see as they used to be one of the top senior teams in the county. Must be a good squad of young players they kept together.
    Yes Sharoize Akram has been flagged by all who've seen him since u14. Aussie scouts were interested in him he had a trial few months ago.
    Brian Reape is an athletic forward we haven't had too many like him coming through. A very good forward line I expect them to score heavy.

• Advertisement

I had noticed that last year that Balla were getting some good young players through. Great to see as they used to be one of the top senior teams in the county. Must be a good squad of young players they kept together.
    Yes Sharoize Akram has been flagged by all who've seen him since u14. Aussie scouts were interested in him he had a trial few months ago.
    Brian Reape is an athletic forward we haven't had too many like him coming through. A very good forward line I expect them to score heavy.

Akram also stood out in the Ted Webb cup winning team last summer. Byrne,Hanley another two very good forwards and this forward line certainly have plenty of scores in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Great win for the minors

seligehgit wrote: »
    Great win for the minors
    Great result but a less than great performance tbh Galway should have been out of sight in 1st half however very wasteful and mayo got rather soft penalty before half time. Took the lead for the first time on 59 minutes when Galway were down to 14. Much improving to be done though mayo have probably knocked out the best minor side in connacht and now have home advantage against the rossies who are apparently not at the level of recent years. The quarter final will be against Donegal or Armagh.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Results from the weekend.

Mayo Senior Football League - Division 1A
    Davitts 2-13 Breaffy 1-10
    Ballina Stephenites 1-14 Claremorris 0-04
    Castlebar Mitchels 4-19 Ballaghaderreen 0-03
    Crossmolina Deel Rovers 2-08 Garrymore 1-10
    Ballintubber 1-17 Knockmore 1-07
    Kiltane 0-17 Charlestown Sarsfields 1-11

Are Mitchels the new Dublin!!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

yop wrote: »
    Are Mitchels the new Dublin!!! ;)

Big score alright. Didn't get to the game yesterday as I was going to Westport. Every time I have seen them so far this year, they look very impressive. Gone odds on now for the championship

Big score alright. Didn't get to the game yesterday as I was going to Westport. Every time I have seen them so far this year, they look very impressive. Gone odds on now for the championship

Any report I read of them seems to be a case of them going from strength to strength.

• Advertisement

What a win for Mitchels they look unstoppable to be honest

Duffy played the full game for Salthill in Galway Championship at the weekend. Horan seems to be talking him up a lot (not that he'd ever play down a player!). Depending on injuries, I could seem him make an appearance off the bench against Galway on Sunday week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Pearce Hanley won player of the round in the AFL last time out, some animal

http://livegaelic.com/features/irish-experiment/pearce-hanley-afl-player-round/

Does he play any club football when he's at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

keane2097 wrote: »
    Pearce Hanley won player of the round in the AFL last time out, some animal

http://livegaelic.com/features/irish-experiment/pearce-hanley-afl-player-round/

Does he play any club football when he's at home?

Hardly!

Has a professional contract in the AFL and you think they will allow him to come home and play mickey mouse club football in his spare time

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Hardly!

Has a professional contract in the AFL and you think they will allow him to come home and play mickey mouse club football in his spare time

Oh right, I didn't realise it was such a foolish question since Tadhg Kennelly played football every time he came home for his entire career, as has Tommy Walsh since he went to Australia along with Zac Touhy.

Apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Hardly!

He has came home and played for Ballagh since he signed, so please don't be condescending when you don't know what you're talking about.

Pierce was injured recently so there wasn't much scope for it anyways.

Syferus wrote: »
    He has came home and played for Ballagh since he signed, so please don't be condescending when you don't know what you're talking about.

Pierce was injured recently so there wasn't much scope for it anyways.

Presume he's a bit of a beast?

Presume he's a bit of a beast?

The Ballagh lads reckon his body shape has totally changed since he went over. Barry Solan is a player for Ballagh, trained Katie Taylor before the Olympics as well as IC teams like Laois so when they're impressed by Pierce you know he's made some serious progress.

Was always a big, talented lad but power and pace he has now he'd do serious damage for Ballagh if they ever could get him back for the later end of the club championship some year.

Sadly his brother Cian is quite the talented ladeen too!

Yeah when Tommy went over the first thing they told him was that he needed to lose a stone from his legs. Very obvious body shape change for him too since he's been there, I suspect GAA training methods still lag a bit behind.

Yeah when Tommy went over the first thing they told him was that he needed to lose a stone from his legs. Very obvious body shape change for him too since he's been there, I suspect GAA training methods still lag a bit behind.

Ah horses for courses and all that. They're two different games. The professional element also makes it hard for the amateur GAA players to be the same specimens.

Ah horses for courses and all that. They're two different games. The professional element also makes it hard for the amateur GAA players to be the same specimens.

Most of the top 16 teams put in enough effort in training and conditioning to be relatively comparable to professional sports. It's a matter of training smarter rather than training more.

Syferus wrote: »
    Most of the top 16 teams put in enough effort in training and conditioning to be relatively comparable to professional sports. It's a matter of training smarter rather than training more.

Agreed. I'm not suggesting for a second GAA players don't train as hard as AFL players. It's all about nutrition, recovery, medical attention, and information - the pros get more of this.

Agreed. I'm not suggesting for a second GAA players don't train as hard as AFL players. It's all about nutrition, recovery, medical attention, and information - the pros get more of this.

Which is essentially the same as saying the training methods lag behind.

From speaking to Tommy about it a fair bit he reckons the amount of time the players spend training is the same from GAA to AFL, there's a gap there somewhere.

From speaking to Tommy about it a fair bit he reckons the amount of time the players spend training is the same from GAA to AFL, there's a gap there somewhere.

Well they don't really lag behind, in that one set are training to be AFL players and the others GAA players. I would consider AFL to be a faster more physical game to Gaelic football, though Gaelic football is becoming incredibly fast at the top level.

I agree though GAA players would probably become even better athletes, and possibly more skilled, if the game was pro like in AFL. *Not that I want GAA to go pro

Probably the fact that the GAA players have to work five days a week unlike the AFL players who can concentrate on conditioning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭royster999

Will it be possible to pay on the gate next Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

royster999 wrote: »
    Will it be possible to pay on the gate next Sunday?

The Connacht Ticket wagon should be there selling tickets before the game.

Ah I cant wait :) Mayo v Galway in the Connacht Final again for the first time since 2009 :)

Ill never forget 2009 - Mort's goal, ''RIP Micheal Jackson'' :pac: , Michael Meehan seemingly breaking our hearts at the end only for Peader Gardiner's immediate response with a great great winner that will live long in the memory :) It was the best game of football in Connacht in the last decade in my opinion. Thankfully Mayo came out on top, not expecting a game as close as 2009 but Mayo v Galway, its exciting!

:D

This will also be the 42nd year Mayo and Galway will have met in the final.

Galway currently lead 21-20 in final meetings v Mayo.

Can Mayo level it up on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Ah I cant wait :) Mayo v Galway in the Connacht Final again for the first time since 2009 :)

Ill never forget 2009 - Mort's goal, ''RIP Micheal Jackson'' :pac: , Michael Meehan seemingly breaking our hearts at the end only for Peader Gardiner's immediate response with a great great winner that will live long in the memory :) It was the best game of football in Connacht in the last decade in my opinion. Thankfully Mayo came out on top, not expecting a game as close as 2009 but Mayo v Galway, its exciting!

:D

I had forgotten about that on Mortimers shirt. Hillarious

At home to Galway you have to strongly fancy us. I expect a marker to be put down by the team, to show that they are serious about doing damage come August and possibly beyond.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    At home to Galway you have to strongly fancy us. I expect a marker to be put down by the team, to show that they are serious about doing damage come August and possibly beyond.

I'd take any kind of win to be honest. We dont need to be putting down markers, its not a neccessity.

I know and everyone should know that we are capable of winning every single time we take to the field. I dont think the players will be pushed if they win by 1 point or by 10.

This game is so perfect for Galway after last years hammering, they are well under the radar. Its the least hyped and talked about Mayo v Galway game in a long time.

I'd take any kind of win to be honest. We dont need to be putting down markers, its not a neccessity.

I know and everyone should know that we are capable of winning every single time we take to the field. I dont think the players will be pushed if they win by 1 point or by 10.

This game is so perfect for Galway after last years hammering, they are well under the radar. Its the least hyped and talked about Mayo v Galway game in a long time.

Maybe it's just the fact that I'm sick of people laying into the team, there's been a wave of negativity directed by a lot of the 'support' since the Ros game and since September.

Of course there's always room for improvement and mistakes have been made but some of the abuse I've heard has been far beyond that.
    I would love to see us go out and give a convincing performance on Sunday, just to shut the usual gloom merchants up for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

I would like to see Kevin Mc returned to half forward. Picking him corner doesn't seem to work as effectively. Cillian was centre forward in this game last year would love to see it tried again. He has the best footballing characteristics of a centre forward of anyone in the county. He should be a go to guy linking middle 8 to the best placed forward. Only on a team that is already moving the ball well should you think about leaving a good centre forward inside in full forward line.

• Advertisement

I agree that we need a win, but for the sake of believing that this team is good enough to win an All Ireland I would like to see a performance also.

I am no believer in this idea that teams are ‘keeping their powder dry’, ‘not revealing their hand’, or ‘waiting till they get to Croke Park’

Teams that perform below expectations do so for far less complicated reasons than the above.
    They do it because for various reasons they are not as good as people expect them to be.

And this team have performed below expectations all season.
    They publicly stated that winning the league was their aim yet fizzled out v Derry.
    They got out of Roscommon with a win, all credit to gritty performances and pulling it out of the bag but it’s a situation they should never have been in in the first place.

As a Mayo fan my biggest fear is all the good work that this team and backroom have put in since 2011 will all be once again wasted, including all of the benefits that Buckley has brought.
    And it will be another 10 years before we get to this level again.

The path to an All-Ireland in 2014 is not a steep one.
    We have Galway on Sunday, with a win we then have one of Cork, Laois, Limerick, Tipp, or Sligo.
    Each one of those should be winnable for Mayo.

Then you possibly get Kerry in a SF. If there was ever the chance to get a monkey off their back then it’s v Kerry this year.
    Kerry are nowhere near they were in previous years, and if Mayo play anywhere near their potential then I’d fully expect them to make light work of Kerry.

Then you are in an All-Ireland, possibly v Dublin but that is no guarantee either.

Since the Kerry Munster Final win on Sunday, Mayo are guaranteed to be ‘under the radar’ until the SF at least, Dublin v Kerry All Ireland final is all you will hear from now to the end of August.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement