Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

I agree that we need a win, but for the sake of believing that this team is good enough to win an All Ireland I would like to see a performance also.

I am no believer in this idea that teams are ‘keeping their powder dry’, ‘not revealing their hand’, or ‘waiting till they get to Croke Park’

Teams that perform below expectations do so for far less complicated reasons than the above.
    They do it because for various reasons they are not as good as people expect them to be.

And this team have performed below expectations all season.
    They publicly stated that winning the league was their aim yet fizzled out v Derry.
    They got out of Roscommon with a win, all credit to gritty performances and pulling it out of the bag but it’s a situation they should never have been in in the first place.

As a Mayo fan my biggest fear is all the good work that this team and backroom have put in since 2011 will all be once again wasted, including all of the benefits that Buckley has brought.
    And it will be another 10 years before we get to this level again.

The path to an All-Ireland in 2014 is not a steep one.
    We have Galway on Sunday, with a win we then have one of Cork, Laois, Limerick, Tipp, or Sligo.
    Each one of those should be winnable for Mayo.

Then you possibly get Kerry in a SF. If there was ever the chance to get a monkey off their back then it’s v Kerry this year.
    Kerry are nowhere near they were in previous years, and if Mayo play anywhere near their potential then I’d fully expect them to make light work of Kerry.

Then you are in an All-Ireland, possibly v Dublin but that is no guarantee either.

Since the Kerry Munster Final win on Sunday, Mayo are guaranteed to be ‘under the radar’ until the SF at least, Dublin v Kerry All Ireland final is all you will hear from now to the end of August.
    Agree with all of that.
    Mayo should be making the final this year . No 2 ways about it. That's IF they are playing to their best which has not happened yet. I'm worried from what I've seen so far but as you said a good win and performance on Sunday will ease my worries. And by a good win I don't mean a hammering either but a 6/7 point win.
    Win or lose a final this year I don see us maintaining intensity next year. They are 4 years at it now so this is it for them under Horan anyway.
    Looking forward to the double header Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I would like to see Kevin Mc returned to half forward. Picking him corner doesn't seem to work as effectively. Cillian was centre forward in this game last year would love to see it tried again. He has the best footballing characteristics of a centre forward of anyone in the county. He should be a go to guy linking middle 8 to the best placed forward. Only on a team that is already moving the ball well should you think about leaving a good centre forward inside in full forward line.

So with that in mind how do you line up the 6 forwards?
    10 McLoughlin
    11 COC
    12 Doherty ?
    13 ?
    14 Freeman
    15 A Moran ?

Is Sweeney good enough to go at 13 ?

Would Dillion start at 12 ?

Has Moran’s performance v Roscommon shown that he needs to start at 15 ?

Or could you swap Doherty and Moran ?

km79 wrote: »
    Agree with all of that.
    Mayo should be making the final this year . No 2 ways about it. That's IF they are playing to their best which has not happened yet. I'm worried from what I've seen so far but as you said a good win and performance on Sunday will ease my worries. And by a good win I don't mean a hammering either but a 6/7 point win.
    Win or lose a final this year I don see us maintaining intensity next year. They are 4 years at it now so this is it for them under Horan anyway.
    Looking forward to the double header Sunday

Yea this year is likely the last for Horan

But there may be also in the merit in the idea of this team ‘taking a year off’.
    History has shown us that Mayo seem to do things in 7 year cycles, they appear in more than one final in a short space of time, then drop off for 7 or so years.

But that does not always have to be the case.

This team is relatively young, last year’s team had an average age of 25, and many of the core (Cillian, Keegan, Vaughan, AOS, Freeman) are below that
    Plus they have an All-Ireland winning minor team that will likely produce a few seniors.

So there is the possibility that, if they don’t do anything in 2014, the wait may be less than the 7 years that we have seen before , it may be 2 or 3.

The problem with that the competition may be tougher by then.

The 2014 contenders list is small, plus the favorite is a defending champion.

One thing we need this year is luck with injuries to big players. Need everyone fit from now till end of september :eek:
    Ive a feeling Dublin will be taken by an Ulster team and if you were pushing me for a final pairing now Id go for Mayo vs Monaghan/Donegal (whoever wins Ulster)!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

One thing we need this year is luck with injuries to big players. Need everyone fit from now till end of september :eek:
    Ive a feeling Dublin will be taken by an Ulster team and if you were pushing me for a final pairing now Id go for Mayo vs Monaghan/Donegal (whoever wins Ulster)!!!!

Here's hoping you're right,Monaghan look the most well equipped team to stop the Dublin juggernaut. As father said we'll be flying under the radar if we do reach the semi finals as the whole country and most especially some Kerry supporters appear to believe they are a shoe in for the final after Sunday.

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    Here's hoping you're right,Monaghan look the most well equipped team to stop the Dublin juggernaut. As father said we'll be flying under the radar if we do reach the semi finals as the whole country and most especially some Kerry supporters appear to believe they are a shoe in for the final after Sunday.
    Do they really though ? I don't. One good performance during which cork did not leave a hand on them.
    Mayos full back line would not allow JOD kick that many points from play .......Kerry are weak in too many positions.
    It's still mayo or Dublin for me realistically
    . I hope I feel the same after sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Which Kerry supporters are these then?

Do they really though ? I don't. One good performance during which cork did not leave a hand on them.
    Mayos full back line would not allow JOD kick that many points from play .......Kerry are weak in too many positions.
    It's still mayo or Dublin for me realistically
    . I hope I feel the same after sunday

Some in Kerry feel that they are good enough to get to a Final and others don’t. But their confidence has certainly been lifted by the win on Sunday

I heard on Terrace Talk on Radio Kerry last night the words ‘Mayo’ and ‘Semi Final’ but I did not get to hear the full conversation, I’ll listen back and report once it’s on the Radio Kerry website.

I fully agree that Kerry are weak in a lot of positions and would not get anything like the space from midfield up to the full forward line like they had yesterday.

I would love to see Monaghan beat Dublin, as well as needing to be lucky with injuries Mayo need a break when it comes to final opponents, since 2004 we have meet juggernauts in the final.

Cork meet Down in 2010, Galway meet Kildare in 1998, Kerry meet Mayo in 2004, 2006, we could do with that sort of a break.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Which Kerry supporters are these then?

Some Kerry lads I know,it's no big deal.Best of mates!I did'nt mean for anybody to take umbrage.Naturally with the Kingdom's rich history,likely semi final slot and our indifferent form thus far this year it would'nt be unheard of for a quiet confidence on your behalf.It's in your DNA.;)We have'nt exactly got a wonderful record against you guys.
    The bookies have now installed Kerry as outright second favourites and it appears to be pre ordained that Dublin will meet Kerry in the opinions of many.Certainly not that I agree with these predictions.still got a lot of faith in this Mayo team!

Some Kerry lads I know,it's no big deal.Best of mates!I did'nt mean for anybody to take umbrage.Naturally with the Kingdom's rich history,likely semi final slot and our indifferent form thus far this year it would'nt be unheard of for a quiet confidence on your behalf.It's in your DNA.;)We have'nt exactly got a wonderful record against you guys.
    The bookies have now installed Kerry as outright second favourites and it appears to be pre ordained that Dublin will meet Kerry in the opinions of many.Certainly not that I agree with these predictions.still got a lot of faith in this Mayo team!

Don't forget the bookie odds take into account the fact that Kerry are one game farther along the trail than Mayo after last weekend. I'd imagine we'll both be around 5/1 provided ye beat Galway, which would also be taking into account ye are likely to have the tougher of the QFs against Cork.

I wouldn't mind an All Ireland semi-final against yourselves, it would be a great test of our young lads and a great opportunity for Mayo to put the "Kerry in Croke Park" thing to bed.

It would also just be a very interesting match up. Perhaps our youngsters are transitioning a la Mayo from 2011 -> 2012 -> 2013 :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

10 McLoughlin
    11 COC
    12 Doherty ?
    13 ?
    14 Freeman
    15 A Moran ?

If anything the Roscommon game strengthened the argument for Moran and Dillion to be used as impact subs, because it worked - why change it.

I think Sweeney is good enough. Certainly he offers more than DOC or COS at the minute.

I would also like to see Kev Mc brought out deeper, stick him in the half forward line for one of the young lads and put Barry Moran in beside Freeman in the full forward line. If it doesn't work then bring on Andy, I think it's a wild card that should be used.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

I'm hearing from informed sources that Duffy is making amazing progress and has brought a new level of enthusiasm, energy and professionalism to the team. I also believe that there is every chance he will be on the bench Sunday with a possibility of game time.
    I've felt from the moment I heard about his inclusion to the fold that he could be the small thing that makes the big difference to the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I thought Kerry looked beautiful on sunday, a fine composure, fit and agile, adaptable and very accurate hand passing to retain possession. I would love to meet them in the final in September, as for me they are the team to beat. Can't wait for sunday coming though.

Oldtree wrote: »
    I thought Kerry looked beautiful on sunday, a fine composure, fit and agile, adaptable and very accurate hand passing to retain possession. I would love to meet them in the final in September, as for me they are the team to beat. Can't wait for sunday coming though.

Well you'll have to be content with a Semi Final in August, cos they cannot meet in the final.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well you'll have to be content with a Semi Final in August, cos they cannot meet in the final.

If we lose on Sunday and Kerry progress through the final, do we still come through on the same side regardless?

yop wrote: »
    If we lose on Sunday and Kerry progress through the final, do we still come through on the same side regardless?

If we loose Sunday we play one of Sligo, Tipp, Limerick, Laois in Rnd 4
    If we win that then we play Kerry in QF (because we cannot play Galway in QF)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Here's a useful wall-chart that illustrates the qualifier split: http://www.gaa.ie/content/downloads/wallcharts/football_wallchart_2014.pdf

Tod is right above. If we win on Sunday we can probably be expecting to play Cork on August 2nd, although on current form it's by no means a given.

If we win our next two games and Kerry win their quarter final then we will play them in the semi on August 24th. Whether by back-door or front-door that is the date for Mayo's semi should we get there.

I had said at the start of the season that I would be disappointed if we couldn't make the semis this year and given the draw we have we are well able to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

10 McLoughlin
    11 COC
    12 Doherty ?
    13 ?
    14 Freeman
    15 A Moran ?

Based on last three seasons form and 2014 league Ros game.
    10 - Kevin Mc
    11 - Cillian OConnor
    12 - Andy Moran (recent seasons a better overall big game record and more physical than Dillon. We need to be physical around the middle third to beat Dublin)

13 - Sweeney
    14 - Freeman
    15 - 3rd Midfielder (Whichever in form).
    I'd like to see Duffy tried off the bench at some stage as at this stage mgmt/panel need to know what he's capable of when it's fast and furious with no time on the ball.
    I think the 3rd midfielder is something we should be going with in an attempt to win the middle third battle.

Wishful thinking on my part. :D But I'll happily take a semi-final win over a Kerry team playing like they did on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Wishful thinking on my part. :D But I'll happily take a semi-final win over a Kerry team playing like they did on Sunday.

Christ beating Kerry in championship football would be the next best feeling after winning an All- Ireland for Mayo football now. We really owe them a beating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I'd like to see Duffy tried off the bench at some stage as at this stage mgmt/panel need to know what he's capable of when it's fast and furious with no time on the ball.
    I think the 3rd midfielder is something we should be going with in an attempt to win the middle third battle.

My preference would be to have Duffy watching the match in a pub in Galway.

Did someone connected to you not make the panel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Did someone connected to you not make the panel?

I wish:)

I doubt he'd have retained a training place for the last 8 weeks unless he was competitive. Starting midfield for Salthill in Galway senior championship is a decent level. People somehow seem to think a guy 6'2" n 15 stone with pace needs to get to a high level of skill. He doesn't even need to get to his minor levels n he was comfortably in top 6 in county that year. The game is more n more physical each year, not trying Duffy is the backward step. If we want to compete with Dublin we need more physical pacey players. If he comes on against Galway n does okay then he still has more training n club games to improve. If he is training two three times a day on technique he will make massive gains quickly. Reportedly that is how much he is working on skills.

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Christ beating Kerry in championship football would be the next best feeling after winning an All- Ireland for Mayo football now. We really owe them a beating.

And their in lies the problem

Getting revenge etc is something that Mayo usually have an opportunity to do at the SF and QF stage, it was all well and good to beat Cork for the first time in 95 years in 2011, or to humiliate Donegal in 2013, but at the end of the day Mayo won the same amount of All Irelands as those teams in those seasons.

So yea beating Kerry in a SF would be great if Mayo got the opportunity to do so, but it's all for nothing without following it up with an All Ireland.

And their in lies the problem

Getting revenge etc is something that Mayo usually have an opportunity to do at the SF and QF stage, it was all well and good to beat Cork for the first time in 95 years in 2011, or to humiliate Donegal in 2013, but at the end of the day Mayo won the same amount of All Irelands as those teams in those seasons.

So yea beating Kerry in a SF would be great if Mayo got the opportunity to do so, but it's all for nothing without following it up with an All Ireland.
    Any team that could beat a kerry team playing like they were last Sunday would be unstoppable ;-)

Any team that could beat a kerry team playing like they were last Sunday would be unstoppable ;-)

Well not really.

We got no idea about how good Kerry actually are on Sunday, yes James O’ Donoughe is a great player, but beyond him I think the jury is still out.

Some of those guys are very new to championship football, how will they perform against someone who is actually interested in winning the game ?
    The likes of Maher, Buckley, March O’ Se, have been hot and cold for the last year or so.

After a Munster final a few years ago people here were suggesting Declan O’ Sullivan as POTY, he went on to have very little impact the rest of the games he played that season.

Kerry would in no way get the freedom up front they had on Sunday against Mayo.
    But their backs played very well, and were very disciplined, and we all know that Mayo “don’t have the forwards etc etc etc….”

But lets get past Galway and a QF first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Cork practically threw the game, they were no opposition at all. Kerry played against 15 barstools on Sunday, hyping them up after that performance is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Lads fairly thick question but what's the best place to park near McHale for Sunday? Doesn't need to be free just close enough to walk it.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

As the old adage goes you can only beat what's put in front of you and however poor Cork were,Kerry were very impressive on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

when is the team out.

anyone else think 30 quid is a little pricey for sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

irishgeo wrote: »
    when is the team out.

1 PM Thursday

Lads fairly thick question but what's the best place to park near McHale for Sunday? Doesn't need to be free just close enough to walk it.

Thanks!

As close as you can get and make sure she's faced for home!

irishgeo wrote: »
    when is the team out.

anyone else think 30 quid is a little pricey for sunday?

Stand or "not stand" (its not technically a terrace) ?

Munster final was 35 for the stand I believe (but I may be wrong)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

View from section 108 row H where Mayo season ticket holders are for the Connacht final on Sunday. (photo taken today)

[IMG][/img]section108-H_zps18eb263b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭jeffred

Season ticket holder must be in 107 also as that is where mine is. Think cairde got 103.

Really looking forward to the game - the wife's from Galway !!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭eastmayo

jeffred wrote: »
    Season ticket holder must be in 107 also as that is where mine is. Think cairde got 103.

I am cairde and got 103,where's 103 in the stand,all the times I have been there and never took any heed of the sections.

jeffred wrote: »

Mine is in 106 ! Will people even take any heed of sections and seat numbers........

Stand or "not stand" (its not technically a terrace" ?

Munster final was 35 for the stand I believe (but I may be wrong)

Confirmed.

Very dear tbf.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Section 108 row J. Pushed side ways I think a little? Used to be bang on center.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

yop wrote: »
    Section 108 row J. Pushed side ways I think a little? Used to be bang on center.

A little? Up towards the albany end. I m just behind ya yop, 108 K, though you wont see me there, will be the far side flying the flags ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Mayo Team is announced lads:

Hennelly
    Barrett
    Cafferkey
    Higgins
    Keegan
    Boyle
    Vaughan
    SOS
    Barry Moran
    McLoughlin
    AOS
    Doherty
    COC
    Andy Moran
    Dillon

Very strong team. No sign of subs yet.

Like to see the fact that James Horan has mixed things up, hopefully things will go well for Aidan O Shea at centre half forward on this occasion.

Thanks!

If you're early enough there should be space in the industrial estates on the road beside the stadium, you could also try along the Moneen Road or near Mayo Movie World. Basically, if you see cars parked and there's space then you should be good to park.

Depending on whether you are going home via the N84 or by the N60/N17 it would be a good idea to park close enough to those roads and as has been noted above, turned and faced for home! Try and park so you don't have to cross the N60/N5 roundabout as it can be a serious bottleneck.

statto25 wrote: »
    Mayo Team is announced lads:

Hennelly
    Barrett
    Cafferkey
    Higgins
    Keegan
    Boyle
    Vaughan
    SOS
    Barry Moran
    McLoughlin
    AOS
    Doherty
    COC
    Andy Moran
    Dillon

Very strong team. No sign of subs yet.

I'm a bit surprised to see Chris Barrett starting but I suppose he needs to get back into the frame sooner or later. Cunniffe is injured but I can see Kevin Keane making an appearance if Barrett starts to tire out. No surprises in the HBs. Would also have thought Jason Gibbons would get in ahead of Barry Moran but Horan is probably looking to keep him in reserve. Also no Alan Freeman? Horan is playing the long game on Sunday.

Yeah can't fathom out how Alan Freeman isn't starting, would have expected Jason Gibbons to get the nod ahead of Barry Moran. Suppose who knows how they're going in training and their relative recoveries post injury. Big call putting Chris Barrett in with so little match fitness.

Good to see Barrett and especially Barry Moran back.

The AOS at 11 experiment has not been great in the past, hopefully management have seen something that makes sense for this weekend.
    It would be good to get a settled half forward line.

Interesting that Freeman has been dropped for either Dillon or Moran, one of those guys would have been good impact subs, then again Freeman would make a good impact sub also.

I'm fairly sure Gibbons isn't long back from injury and Barry Moran is fitter so it isn't necessarily Horan favouring one over the other. Good to see Moran finally get a chance in a game like this.
    We will find out if Aos stays at 11 but don't be surprised to see a shuffle.

Glad to see Barrett back, great replacement for Cunniffe.

I don't think Freeman deserves to be dropped, he's our best full forward.

DOC and COS being pulled is the correct call, their time will come but it won't be this season. I would leave Andy and especially Dillon in reserve, I'm surprised Horan is starting both. Adam Gallagher should be given a chance ahead of Dillon imo with Dillion replacing him in the last third.

Overall not the team most would have picked but we've seen worse Mayo teams.

Re Adam Gallagher I'v a horrible feeling we see the best of him off the bench against a big name team with time running out in Croke Park and the game gone.
    Training is one thing, performance in games is QED. Gallagher has performed in games from play more consistently than others.
    That's taking into account scores and passing. It was him that for example had quick hands for Jason Gibbons goal against Kildare. Just hoping he is on a bulkup regime (slim hope ;) ) and it is all some kind of long term play. i.e. Horan see's plenty football in him but see's him as a game winner if a stone heavier. Often you're held from games on such a regime. Yes that is the sound of the clutching of straws.

Re Adam Gallagher I'v a horrible feeling we see the best of him off the bench against a big name team with time running out in Croke Park and the game gone.
    Training is one thing, performance in games is QED. Gallagher has performed in games from play more consistently than others.
    That's taking into account scores and passing. It was him that for example had quick hands for Jason Gibbons goal against Kildare. Just hoping he is on a bulkup regime (slim hope ;) ) and it is all some kind of long term play. i.e. Horan see's plenty football in him but see's him as a game winner if a stone heavier. Often you're held from games on such a regime. Yes that is the sound of the clutching of straws.

It's a mystery why he's out in the cold because after the first two league games he stood out, he even got MOTM on the Mayo Gaa Blog I'm sure.
    Diarmuid O'Connor got a start in the first two Championship games without making any impact in the league and he's not bulked up either. Only Horan knows the reason for this..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement