Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

You really can't let things go can you? It's a constant source of amusement to me that there are a relatively large number of Mayo fans that still go on about the likes of 1996 and 2009 like the referee gave absolutely everything against Mayo during the games. Ye lost those games because you weren't good enough, just like today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

You really can't let things go can you? It's a constant source of amusement to me that there are a relatively large number of Mayo fans that still go on about the likes of 1996 and 2009 like the referee gave absolutely everything against Mayo during the games. Ye lost those games because you weren't good enough, just like today.

Can't blame the ref for 96? Not even for the criminal sending off of Liam McHale probably Mayo's most influential player which arguably cost them the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

In 2009 Meath were given a line ball that was clearly a Mayo ball, they then played it in and the ref gave them a nothing penalty. The officials were a joke and were criticised by the Sunday game.
    All of the above also happened today. The referee played his part in them defeats along with Mayo not being able to rise above it.

It's just a simple coincidence that I brought up and believe me I'm over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Well they were certainly better than Meath in 96, today they lost because they weren't good enough. You can't go 27 mins without scoring regardless of the referee

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Can't blame the ref for 96? Not even for the criminal sending off of Liam McHale probably Mayo's most influential player which arguably cost them the game

I'm not willing to go back that far, still painful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pegasusbridge

Can't blame the ref for 96? Not even for the criminal sending off of Liam McHale probably Mayo's most influential player which arguably cost them the game[/Quote]
    Liam McHale threw a number of punches and got sent off. Hardly the fault of the ref.
    All teams will get some decisions go against them in any match and will also get some that goes for them. It's up to the best team to take advantage and cope with those things. Meath did that better then Mayo did today

In response to Pegasus

He picked two random players out of a massive melee one being an average Meath player the other being Mayo's best player. McEnaney absolutely bottled it big time no question

About today the ref was indeed a joke Mayo probably weren't good enough but still they can feel hard done by

Oh my. This was Liam McHale who ran from midfield and leapt elbow first into a Meath player? And that was just his initial contribution.
    Don't believe me? Have a look and see:

Notice the player wearing number 8 at around 8 seconds in?
    ColeTrain wrote: »
    In 2009 Meath were given a line ball that was clearly a Mayo ball, they then played it in and the ref gave them a nothing penalty. The officials were a joke and were criticised by the Sunday game.
    All of the above also happened today. The referee played his part in them defeats along with Mayo not being able to rise above it.

It's just a simple coincidence that I brought up and believe me I'm over it.
    I find it amazing that you seem to remember this line ball so clearly, yet at the same time you forget several similar decisions against Meath (45 given as wide, an attacking line ball given incorrectly to Mayo, several scoreable frees not given). And it was a penalty by the way.
    Barlett wrote: »
    Well they were certainly better than Meath in 96, today they lost because they weren't good enough. You can't go 27 mins without scoring regardless of the referee
    If they were better than Meath that day, they would have won. Simple!

Oh my. This was Liam McHale who ran from midfield and leapt elbow first into a Meath player?

You don't have a clue. The better team doesn't always win you know.

I know who Liam McHale is and I remember the incident well but cheers anyway. He does not stand out 1 bit in that incident. Should have sent off about 7 if he was sending anyone off. He bottled it, was incredible. Ruined an All Ireland final

In response to Pegasus (learn to quote btw)

He picked two random players out of a massive melee one being an average Meath player the other being Mayo's best player. McEnaney absolutely bottled it big time no question

About today the ref was indeed a joke Mayo probably weren't good enough but still they can feel hard done by
    Or he picked two of the worst offenders in the melee, which both players were. Also bit harsh to call a guy with three all ireland winners medals (to the best of my memory) average. The ref today made some mistakes but he was bad for both sides. Meath just did a better job of taking advantage when the decisions went their way

• Advertisement

You don't have a clue. The better team doesn't always win you know.
    In the case of 1996, I disagree. Mayo should have won, no doubt. But they didn't through no ones fault but their own.
    I know who Liam McHale is and I remember the incident well but cheers anyway. He does not stand out 1 bit in that incident. Should have sent off about 7 if he was sending anyone off. He bottled it, was incredible. Ruined an All Ireland final
    You don't think a 6 foot plus giant of a man running 30 or 40 yards before leaping in with an elbow stands out? Hmmmm.
    How do you think he bottled it? In my opinion, he would have bottled it had he not sent McHale off given that he ran such a distance to get involved so violently.

Let me make it clear, I do have a soft spot for Mayo. My grandparents moved over here in the 50s from Mayo so I'd love for them to do well next week. But I think there are too many Mayo fans with a persecution complex when it comes to Meath.

Or he picked two of the worst offenders in the melee, which both players were. Also bit harsh to call a guy with three all ireland winners medals (to the best of my memory) average. The ref today made some mistakes but he was bad for both sides. Meath just did a better job of taking advantage when the decisions went their way

Anyone can be involved in a good side just because you win a medal doesn't make you a great player, Djimi Traore won a champions league medal you know! But anyway we'll leave it here we'll agree to disagree there were two poor enough minor teams today I must say although it can be quite unpredictible Meath may be a new team come the final

Oh my. This was Liam McHale who ran from midfield and leapt elbow first into a Meath player?

Just like the referee you've singled out one player in a mass brawl. It was strange singling out McHale and Coyle with most players fighting.
    I find it amazing that you seem to remember this line ball so clearly, yet at the same time you forget several similar decisions against Meath (45 given as wide, an attacking line ball given incorrectly to Mayo, several scoreable frees not given). And it was a penalty by the way.

I remember it so clearly because I was sitting right in front of it. If that was your definition of a penalty then the penalty spot would be worn out in every game.

There were other terrible calls given, mostly ones that affected Mayo. 45's turning into wides etc.

The panel on the Sunday game said Mayo had the right to feel hard done by, I also remember that. Keep telling yourself it didn't happen though. You got the decisions, why is that so hard to admit - even three years on!

I'm not accusing Meath of corruption, on another day some poor referee would have given more to Mayo. That's how it works.

Unfortunately referring decisions change games and it's not that simple.

Anyone can be involved in a good side just because you win a medal doesn't make you a great player, Djimi Traore won a champions league medal you know! But anyway we'll leave it here we'll agree to disagree there were two poor enough minor teams today I must say although it can be quite unpredictible Meath may be a new team come the final
    Absolutely but Traore didn't win three. Coyle was a key player for Meath for a long time. An average guy wouldn't have lasted that long in such a good team. Anyway I agree that the standard today wasn't great. I think this years Dublin minor team is a level above everyone else. But anything can happen in sport. Best of luck in the senior next week

Just like the referee you've singled out one player in a mass brawl. It was strange singling out McHale and Coyle with most players fighting.
    So do you not agree that McHale should have been sent off?

I remember it so clearly because I was sitting right in front of it. If that was your definition of a penalty then the penalty spot would be worn out in every game.

There were other terrible calls given, mostly ones that affected Mayo. 45's turning into wides etc.

The panel on the Sunday game said Mayo had the right to feel hard done by, I also remember that. Keep telling yourself it didn't happen though. You got the decisions, why is that so hard to admit - even three years on!

I'm not accusing Meath of corruption, on another day some poor referee would have given more to Mayo. That's how it works.
    You're really looking back at that game with remarkable bias. I'm not arguing about the sideline ball. I do remember that it should have been a Mayo ball. However, the bolded part is just astounding. In the first half, Meath should have had a 45 which was signalled wide. In the same half, Meath should have had a sideline in the same position that they were incorrectly awarded one in the second half, yet it was given to Mayo. Also, as I said, several scoreable free kicks should have been given to Meath, but weren't. Yet you say the decisions mostly affected Mayo?
    I will still maintain that it was a penalty. Look it up on youtube and you'll see the Mayo defender making a high challenge on David Bray. Now, to Bray's credit, he doesn't go down, but it's a penalty nonetheless.
    Unfortunately referring decisions change games and it's not that simple.
    Yup. But it was 14 on 14. And Mayo still should have won. But they didn't because they weren't good enough.

You're really looking back at that game with remarkable bias. I'm not arguing about the sideline ball. I do remember that it should have been a Mayo ball. However, the bolded part is just astounding. In the first half, Meath should have had a 45 which was signalled wide. In the same half, Meath should have had a sideline in the same position that they were incorrectly awarded one in the second half, yet it was given to Mayo. Also, as I said, several scoreable free kicks should have been given to Meath, but weren't. Yet you say the decisions mostly affected Mayo?
    I will still maintain that it was a penalty. Look it up on youtube and you'll see the Mayo defender making a high challenge on David Bray. Now, to Bray's credit, he doesn't go down, but it's a penalty nonetheless.

There's nothing astounding in what I wrote. The sideline, penalty changed the game on it's head. That's not up for debate and you're in the minority who thought it was a penalty, a lot of analysists didn't, yet you you call me biased :D
    You can't have it every way. I wouldn't say Mayo were robbed that day but them decisions changed the game in my opinion.

Anyways, I don't think we are going to agree on this one three years on :)

good luck to your minors in the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

The fact is that Meath were the better side today..

They missed numerous goal chances.

Yes the referee made poor decisions for the 2 goals at the end, but Meath actually should have been out of sight by that stage.

And this is coming from a Mayo supporter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Thank **** boards.ie did not excist in 1996.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

i dont know what game u were watching .yes mayo had the game for the taking but when a ref seems hellbent on giving the other team every chance to win its not easy. colm o rourke on rte even said the ref was brutal and hes a feckin meath man

Does anyone know if the ref has a brother than wants to be a Meath manager some day ? :o

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Any word on the team?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Interview with Ciaran MacDonald coming up shortly on Newstalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Interview with Ciaran MacDonald coming up shortly on Newstalk.

Sounds like he's had a few pints... Enjoyed the interview with him earlier on RTE... Some show on OTB tonight.. amazing show full stop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Bigguns.

The Mayo team would rather shag sheep and cut turf than learn how to play decent football.

If ever I've seen a shower of boggers so inbred and retarded I must have been dreaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Sounds like he's had a few pints... Enjoyed the interview with him earlier on RTE... Some show on OTB tonight.. amazing show full stop.

Sounded somewhat 'emotional' but he regrets being in the wilderness for them few years back in the early 00s. Thank god he returned, we'll always have the memories of the semi-final in '06 regardless of what happened afterwards.

Even now he's somewhat of an enigma, I can only remember one interview with him in the dressing room after a Connacht championship match.

Bigguns. wrote: »
    The Mayo team would rather shag sheep and cut turf than learn how to play decent football.

If ever I've seen a shower of boggers so inbred and retarded I must have been dreaming.

First time I have ever used the ignore button on boards!!! Thank you ignore button!

eddiem10 wrote: »
    First time I have ever used the ignore button on boards!!! Thank you ignore button!

He gets 2/10. Good trolls are thin on the ground these days

He gets 2/10. Good trolls are thin on the ground these days
    Have a feeling his trolling days, pathetic as they are, could be numbered

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 GeniusRus

He may have a point there. Mayo haven't won an All-Ireland since 1952 I believe, and i can't see them winning one this side of the rapture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

GeniusRus wrote: »
    He may have a point there. Mayo haven't won an All-Ireland since 1952 I believe, and i can't see them winning one this side of the rapture

Welcome back Bigguns!

1951 actually! Ignore number 2!

Wrong. 1951.

Nice to see you re-regging and rejoining the thread, you enrich it to no end

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 GeniusRus

Wrong. 1951.

Nice to see you re-regging and rejoining the thread, you enrich it to no end

I lived in Ballina, about the only thing enriched down there is the caravan on the side of the road

You say that as it's something to be proud of. Well I guess if you're a Mayo man, with the poor educational system and inbreeding it would. :D

1/10

Some originality would be nice. Or maybe it has been (in)bred out of you?

I lived in Ballina, about the only thing enriched down there is the caravan on the side of the road

Just the one caravan there? You sure you lived there?

• Advertisement

lol that was hillarious...........:pac:

Of course it was - it was your joke

Seriously though.....Do you lot really think Mayo will pass the Dub's. If they do, do you think they won't choke like they've done for generations? Remember Meath....lol

Seriously though... just go away

Of course it was - it was your joke

I have just (un) ignored no. 2 incarnation....its just too (un) funny to ignore. :D

I have just (un) ignored no. 2 incarnation....its just too (un) funny to ignore. :D

I know, it's like cringing at the kid telling rubbish jokes at the class talent show, then he starts trying to win back the class by telling jokes about how he sh1t his pants one time

;80525709]Seriously though... just go away[/QUOTE

Don't you want to face the truth? Typical Mayo, a bunch of waster...

(Un) smart enough to create 2 accounts in 2 minutes........ too dumb to use the quote button. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Wonder how long before he's back under another guise?

Well Mayo sheep will never win.......Oh sh@t... forgot to reregister.:D

Well Mayo sheep will never win.......Oh sh@t... forgot to reregister.:D

Ya inbred flute. Back to Ballycroy with ya

Ya inbred flute. Back to Ballycroy with ya
    I have relations in Bally C....Ewe might know her....Meanwhile back in On Topic land... I hear Alan Brogan is definitely back for Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Sounded somewhat 'emotional' but he regrets being in the wilderness for them few years back in the early 00s.

I think they were at some event up in Dublin earlier.. I heard him earlier talking to RTE and he seemed a lot sharper. I remember watching those 7s up at Kilmacud on the telly one day just to see him..

I have relations in Bally C....Ewe might know her....Meanwhile back in On Topic land... I hear Alan Brogan is definitely back for Sunday.

Was it a groin injury? He's hardly fully fit? Still his presence alone will be enough to give Dublin a lift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

hows things is it true that there is a split in the mayo camp over connor martomer ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

anthonyos wrote: »
    hows things is it true that there is a split in the mayo camp over connor martomer ???

Yep, it's the third game and seven weeks since he left and now is the time for a split in the camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Any news on the team ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

team is be named in the morning

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement