Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    In a sense I agree with you [even still it's not like Mayo werent a proud GAA county before Horan came along and I'd probably agree with you that Mortimer leaving the squad was an overall positive] , but my main point is what's to be gained by Horan coming out with this now?

It's hardly putting the best interest of Mayo football first, which is a shame as he did a massive amount for Mayo GAA and obviously cares deeply, but at the moment coming out with this stuff is just a hindrance and unnecessary and seems to be all about soothing Horan's ego and scoring points against the county board.

Horan did great things for Mayo GAA, really brought us in with a chance of All Ireland glory, but there is a bitter taste left after his comments.

Horan seems to have fallen out with a lot of players in his time: Conor Mortimer, Richie Feeney, Alan Feeney, Alan Freeman... also if ye remember the Mortimer family statement (:pac:) accused Horan of having an agenda against a whole club.. highly unlikely though in fairness!

''When the previous manager was in charge, there were four Shrule/Glencorrib players on the panel. Now there are none. Mark Ronaldson was another example from last season – he was playing well and was dropped from the panel.''

Im trying to show that Horan's relationship was strained with alot of people, and the County Board was no different. I hope our next manager wont be drawn to conflict as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭FaganJr

In a sense I agree with you [even still it's not like Mayo werent a proud GAA county before Horan came along and I'd probably agree with you that Mortimer leaving the squad was an overall positive] , but my main point is what's to be gained by Horan coming out with this now?

It's hardly putting the best interest of Mayo football first, which is a shame as he did a massive amount for Mayo GAA and obviously cares deeply, but at the moment coming out with this stuff is just a hindrance and unnecessary and seems to be all about soothing Horan's ego and scoring points against the county board.

He's probably making the point of where we are now and then, type comparisson.
    And I agree with him whole heartedly. The only thing not to change is the County Board not doing their job correctly and what he says is true.
    "It was a disgrace that they said NOTHING about the replay"
    Spineless, thats not what a manager with the Ultimate ambition wants!
    Watch out next man in, you will be fighting from within also! Hard to beat the opposition in those circumstances!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Im trying to show that Horan's relationship was strained with alot of people, and the County Board was no different. I hope our next manager wont be drawn to conflict as much.

Yeah - it just seems like a massive waste of time/energy.

If you want to win an All-Ireland going around constantly getting into squabbles, especially with people from your own county seems hugely counterproductive.

The Mortimer statement was a serious gem although - that's likely to follow them for a few generations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

FaganJr wrote: »
    He's probably making the point of where we are now and then, type comparisson.
    And I agree with him whole heartedly. The only thing not to change is the County Board not doing their job correctly and what he says is true.
    "It was a disgrace that they said NOTHING about the replay"
    Spineless, thats not what a manager with the Ultimate ambition wants!
    Watch out next man in, you will be fighting from within also! Hard to beat the opposition in those circumstances!

You don't go to the press to have these fights, especially not now when the county board is trying to recruit a new manager. All this will achieve is 1) make the county board dig their heels in and be more stubborn and 2) make getting a top manager that bit harder and 3) make the new manager wary before he even starts the job [not helped by the county board's nonsense about demanding written assurances

Overall there is very little in the way of positives to be gained from Horan speaking out now and a whole lot of negatives. Very unwise imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/james-horan-hits-out-at-mayo-county-board-1.1929401?page=1

Times precis of lengthy Horan interview in Western People. Has a go at County Board for not making an issue of the replay venue after the drawn game. I still think before the first game was the time to be making an issue of this if there was to be any chance of changing the venue but whatever...

Also defends putting Cafferkey on Donaghy and has a dig at "guys with white boots and bleached hair – all flash and no substance": no idea who that could be aimed...:p

Did Keith Higgins not wear white boots in the games against Kerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

You'd have to wonder at his motivation about coming out with this stuff now before a new manager is appointed.

Ideally you would have hoped that he would have been consulting with the county board on what sort of skills the next manager would need, where he felt there was room for improvement , where he made mistakes so the next guy wouldn't repeat them - basically helping the county board with the recruitment process, passing on all the knowledge he picked up, instead of the current situation where both the county board and Horan seem more concerned about taking potshots at one another and making the Mayo job look less and less attractive.

Also the comment on Mortimer is just ridiculous stuff altogether - it's on the level of school-kid juvenile stuff.

He could easily have waited until the manager was in place rather than coming out with this and making the process of appointing a new manager that bit harder

Also on Donaghy the thing is I doubt anyone was saying that Mayo didnt have a plan, they had a plan - Cafferkey would mark Donaghy the problem was that Mayo didnt have a plan B in case that Cafferkey was getting cleaned which happened. Given the trouble that Donaghy caused in his cameo in the first game this was unforgivable stuff.

In an ideal world Horan would be part of overseeing the whole structure of Mayo football, but I would think the County Board have zero interest in consulting Horan over anything.

As an aside there's not a whole lot of difference between Horan's man-management and that of Jim McGuinness, for both it was their way or the highway. But Jim got Donegal over the line

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

realweirdo wrote: »
    Mayo have proved over the last 3 years they can beat any team on any given day and when they have lost to the bigger teams its usually been by only a score or two, usually because of bad tactics, a bit of bad luck or bad refereeing.

When you are that close to other big teams, it really does come down to small things that make the difference such as a decision going against you or making one or two tactical errors.

Unlike a lot of people such as TCDstudent, I do believe this Mayo team has what it takes, even if you stick with most of the team that started against Kerry. Obviously you change your formation and team to match your opponent...ie they have a 6"5 full forward, we need to put in a new full back. But like I said the core of the team is good enough to win an AI.

Horan was a great manager, but unfortunately, he persisted with flawed tactics too often and was loyal to some players when they should have been dropped.

I don't think Connelly has done anything particularly special as a manager. Co-Manager for the under 21 team, fair enough, but he was co-manager and it was under 21s.

This is senior football we are talking about where you have to be a tactical genious. I also thought Castlebar were lucky to make the club AI final last year. They equalised late against St. Brigids when injury time went on too long, Colm Cooper's injury was a stroke of luck in the semi-final. As for the final, they had no plan to deal with Diarmuid Connolly who was the main danger man. He dictated the play and none of the Castlebar players got near him. We can't afford tactical naivity like that for Mayo.

As other posters have said, this Mayo team, which many consider a golden generation, will be over the hill in a few years, and if we don't get this particular managerial appointment right, we could be back into the dark ages again or sufferning more near misses.

To be honest, I think if any Mayo player is thinking with that mindset, they will definitely not come back and win an AI. Every Mayo player should be looking back at the last year (last 3 years I suppose) and be asking "How can I improve on what I did in that year?" Only in that way will they improve and have the possibility of becoming an AI winner. They certainly wont become AI champions by thinking they didnt win it in the last few years because of luck or referees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

From that interview:
    “Look, forget all this talk. We had numerous plans to deal with all situations and Ger Cafferkey is a superb full-back, end of story. The supply of ball into their full-forward line was the problem.

“However it’s time to let that go and move on.”

The mind boggles - sure, he is a good player. But good players have bad matches and sometimes need to be switched. Last week in the hurling, Richie Hogan was struggling at midfield and was switched to centre forward. It was a switch that changed the match. I remember Seamus Moynihan cleaning P. Joyce for Galway back in 00. Galway had to put Joyce out to wing forward. There is no shame in switching a good player away from their natural position. Every player, no matter how good they are, will have a bad match or struggle with an opponent at some stage.

I liked Horan a lot during his time as Mayo manager. Thought he talked a lot of sense but he has gone down a lot in my estimation this year. The whole thing with the Cork management and now this interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

The supply of ball was the problem. Complete head in the sand guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Speaking if Mortimer, I wonder has he any aspirations of playing for Mayo again and will he make himself available to the new manager?

• Advertisement

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Speaking if Mortimer, I wonder has he any aspirations of playing for Mayo again and will he make himself available to the new manager?

Lets hope not, a good player in his day, but in todays game, too small and light. Also hes past his best physically & mentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭boosabum

FaganJr wrote: »
    Lets hope not, a good player in his day, but in todays game, too small and light. Also hes past his best physically & mentally.

I think Mortimer is the same age as Dillon and most likely of similar height and weight. I couldn't see how physically he would be that much inferior to Conroy, Varley, Sweeney, Dillon or Moran.

Anyone know how he's fairing out in the Dublin championship, is he shooting the lights out every game ?

Mentally, hmmm, double hmmm. I think if he was able to accept a bit part, he may make a useful impact sub

boosabum wrote: »
    I think Mortimer is the same age as Dillon and most likely of similar height and weight. I couldn't see how physically he would be that much inferior to Conroy, Varley, Sweeney, Dillon or Moran.

Anyone know how he's fairing out in the Dublin championship, is he shooting the lights out every game ?

Mentally, hmmm, double hmmm. I think if he was able to accept a bit part, he may make a useful impact sub

The point is the team should be moving forward, Dillon will be retiring this year so no point bringing in someone whos already past it. Develop the young lads with a fresh manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/james-horan-hits-out-at-mayo-county-board-1.1929401?page=1

Times precis of lengthy Horan interview in Western People. Has a go at County Board for not making an issue of the replay venue after the drawn game. I still think before the first game was the time to be making an issue of this if there was to be any chance of changing the venue but whatever...

Also defends putting Cafferkey on Donaghy and has a dig at "guys with white boots and bleached hair – all flash and no substance": no idea who that could be aimed...:p

I'm going to have to go against that grain on this "guys with white boots and bleached hair – all flash and no substance" stuff.

For the years up to Horan taking over the joke about Mayo football was "guys with white boots and bleached hair – all flash and no substance".
    It was trotted out the way the “they don't have a marquee forward” is now.

But when you look at it a bit closer you will see that they guys had the white boots and bleached hair were also the guys with the substance, Mort is not Mayo's most prolific scorer for nothing.

So when Horan mentions the "guys with white boots and bleached hair – all flash and no substance" he is as much taking a swipe at the media and their lazy analysis as he is anyone else.
    That being said he know full well what the reaction would be.

I supported Horan when he dropped Mortimer in 2012 and even though Mortimer would have certainly added to Mayo in the past few season Horan did what he had to do at the time.

I'd also agree with Horan on his though that the problem with Donaghy was the ball in to him.

I said on a thread here before the replay that the best way to deal with Donaghey was to stave him of ball and make him come out the field, thus negating his infulence inside.
    You starve him of ball by winning midfield.
    But as it turned out Mayo were well beaten in the middle, thus the ball going into Donaghey was the problem.
    Of course Horan should have done something during the game to resolve the problem.

And as for his arguments with the County Board, Horan is a tough guy to get along with, that's just the way he is, and this interview is no surprise, it's the way the guy acts.

Overall I think Horan did a great job with Mayo, I welcomed his appointment and I welcome his departure at this point.
    In all 4 years Mayo went down fighting, something they had not done in the 20 year previous

As for Mort coming back, I think he would be a great impact sub, lets see what happens with the new manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Mort coming back where did this come from?what age is he now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

BPKS wrote: »
    Did Keith Higgins not wear white boots in the games against Kerry?

I think someone has a problem with understanding what was actually written.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=224391

Be great if this man came back for a year. Still playing great football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

KMFCross wrote: »
    http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=224391

Be great if this man came back for a year. Still playing great football.

at 39 , your having a laugh

irishgeo wrote: »
    at 39 , your having a laugh

He's still as fit as ever from what i hear. Could be a great impact sub.

• Advertisement

GBXI wrote: »
    I think someone has a problem with understanding what was actually written.

Horan says he got rid of some of the bullsh1t which surrounded Mayo, that perception of them as a bunch of fancy Dans who died their hair and wore white boots.

Is that the jist of it?

Horan says he got rid of some of the bullsh1t which surrounded Mayo, that perception of them as a bunch of fancy Dans who died their hair and wore white boots.

Is that the jist of it?
    Mort thought he was the mayo team and that they could not manage with out him,when horan dropped him his ego took over and the rest is history.i think the worst bit was when the famaily released a statement after he left/got kicked out of the team

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭boosabum

The family response was indeed very cringeworthy to say the least.
    An alledged incident has prompted the idea there was an anti-shrule bias and unfortuately this was trotted out in the heat of the moment.
    In fairness to mort, he had been doing fairly well up to that point and was unlucky not go have got game time in the lead upto the connacht final
    I think he said something along the lines of "they won't win one without me either"
    Looks like he moght have been right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

I said on a thread here before the replay that the best way to deal with Donaghey was to stave him of ball and make him come out the field, thus negating his infulence inside.
    You starve him of ball by winning midfield.
    But as it turned out Mayo were well beaten in the middle, thus the ball going into Donaghey was the problem.
    Of course Horan should have done something during the game to resolve the problem.
    Winning midfield would not reduce the problem as much as you think it would. Look at the stats of the Second game on Don't foul blog.
    http://dontfoul.wordpress.com/2014/09/01/kerry-v-mayo-replay-2014-championship/
    It is hard to get the column headings to lineup in those stats
    Team Possessions Shots Shot Rate Scores Success Rate
    Kerry 50 40 80% 19 48%
    Mayo 42 32 76% 16 50%

Now with Mayo winning midfield (Cutting out supply):
    Kerry 42 33 80% 16 48%
    Mayo 50 38 76% 19 50%

With Kieran Donaghy already having shown his form in setting up a goal for James ODonoghue in the first game how can you place confidence in a tactic likely only to give us 3 more shots than Kerry? How is it even a tactic? Not having a go at you but at the labelling of this as an actual tactic by Horan. Trying to win midfield and closing down space/players is simply a standard way to play the game. (Exception being teams that leave opposition uncontested on opposition kickout)

Now look at the stats that were available to Mayo Mgmt from the Drawn game. It clearly shows that "Cutting out the supply" is not a tactic at all for dealing with Kieran Donaghy.
    http://dontfoul.wordpress.com/2014/08/26/kerry-v-mayo-2014-championship/
    Kerry 40 28 70% 17 61%
    Mayo 37 29 78% 17 59%

Now with Mayo winning midfield (Cutting out supply)
    Kerry 37 26 70% 16 61%
    Mayo 40 31 78% 18 59%

Small rounding errors in all of above. You can disregard rounding errors seeing as you want to have a robust tactic that will ensure victory. Predicted volume of scores is only 18 for Mayo versus 16 for Kerry.
    With Kieran Donaghy already have dominated the final 8 minutes of the drawn game?? With Kerry having a full 5 days to study Mayo and run through reps in training of passing the ball into Donaghy?? Passing a ball to a full forwards zone, especially one who is six foot five is much easier than scoring, with his extra height/strength and good hands you don't have to be that accurate with your pass. Donaghy can outfield crowding tactics to claim the ball.

Mayo of course should have been trying two tactics in parallel:
    1. Directly tackle the problem by putting Seamus OShea back on Donaghy
    2. Create an extra sweeper directly in front of Donaghy for on the ground extra tackling

As usual attempt to win midfield and close down space to the opposition half forwards/midfielders (I still think this is standard play and not a tactic)

With tactic (1) and (2) I'v utter confidence Mayo had a much better chance of victory. It is totally dispiriting to a defence to know that the opposition have a totally open target man that they can pick out. That wouldn't be the case with an extra defender covering Donaghy from in front (Maybe even Cafferkey) and 6'3" Seamus OShea covering behind.

Mayo management watched the entire replayed game and to my view didn't even implement tactic (2) which is to create double coverage on Kieran Donaghy. I never noticed any extra player standing directly in front of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Agreed that Mort is too small and is not suited to the modern game of forwards tackling and winning their own ball through turnovers. Mort is a great asset when a Mayo team are dominant and winning plenty of possession and giving him opportunities to score. But up against really good opponents, when possession is scare or hard won, Mort is not much good. Bringing him back would be a backwards step, back to an era when we had players turn up in some games and not in others. Thanks but no thanks. Let's bring through some young lads instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Winning midfield would not reduce the problem as much as you think it would. Look at the stats of the Second game on Don't foul blog.
    http://dontfoul.wordpress.com/2014/09/01/kerry-v-mayo-replay-2014-championship/
    It is hard to get the column headings to lineup in those stats
    Kerry 50 40 80% 19 48%
    Mayo 42 32 76% 16 50%

Now with Mayo winning midfield (Cutting out supply):
    Kerry 42 33 80% 16 48%
    Mayo 50 38 76% 19 50%

With Kieran Donaghy already having shown his form in setting up a goal for James ODonoghue in the first game how can you place confidence in a tactic likely only to give us 3 more shots than Kerry? How is it even a tactic? Not having a go at you but at the labelling of this as an actual tactic by Horan. Trying to win midfield and closing down space/players is simply a standard way to play the game. (Exception being teams that leave opposition uncontested on opposition kickout)

Now look at the stats that were available to Mayo Mgmt from the Drawn game. It clearly shows that "Cutting out the supply" is not a tactic at all for dealing with Kieran Donaghy.
    http://dontfoul.wordpress.com/2014/08/26/kerry-v-mayo-2014-championship/
    Kerry 40 28 70% 17 61%
    Mayo 37 29 78% 17 59%

Now with Mayo winning midfield (Cutting out supply)
    Kerry 37 26 70% 16 61%
    Mayo 40 31 78% 18 59%

Small rounding errors in all of above. You can disregard rounding errors seeing as you want to have a robust tactic that will ensure victory. Predicted volume of scores is only 18 for Mayo versus 16 for Kerry.
    With Kieran Donaghy already have dominated the final 8 minutes of the drawn game?? With Kerry having a full 5 days to study Mayo and run through reps in training of passing the ball into Donaghy?? Passing a ball to a full forwards zone, especially one who is six foot five is much easier than scoring, with his extra height/strength and good hands you don't have to be that accurate with your pass. Donaghy can outfield crowding tactics to claim the ball.

Mayo of course should have been trying two tactics in parallel:
    1. Directly tackle the problem by putting Seamus OShea back on Donaghy
    2. Create an extra sweeper directly in front of Donaghy for on the ground extra tackling

As usual attempt to win midfield and close down space to the opposition half forwards/midfielders (I still think this is standard play and not a tactic)

With tactic (1) and (2) I'v utter confidence Mayo had a much better chance of victory. It is totally dispiriting to a defence to know that the opposition have a totally open target man that they can pick out. That wouldn't be the case with an extra defender covering Donaghy from in front (Maybe even Cafferkey) and 6'3" Seamus OShea covering behind.

Mayo management watched the entire replayed game and to my view didn't even implement tactic (2) which is to create double coverage on Kieran Donaghy. I never noticed any extra player standing directly in front of him.

I don't want to get into a whole reanalysis of the Kerry game and yes stats are very interesting and I'm sure they show valuable data about the game.

But I was talking in a more general sense i.e. the problem with Donaghey was as much Mayo's inability to stop the ball getting to him as it was Cafferkey's inability to deal with that ball when it arrived.
    And that's Horan's point, that Caffertkey is not the only one to blame.

I just highlighted two things in you post.

Were we not all in agreement in the week leading up to the replay that Mayo should just play their natural game and dispense with sweepers etc after what we saw in the first half of the drawn game ?

• Advertisement

Noel Connelly is supposedly the frontrunner to land the Mayo job according to Midwest. He would bring Pat Holmes in with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Noel Connelly is supposedly the frontrunner to land the Mayo job according to Midwest. He would bring Pat Holmes in with him.

Holmes was quoted in the mayo news he didnt have time to do the job.

Is that the jist of it?

That's the jist of it - he got rid of the perception that Mayo were a soft touch. What that has got to do with Keith Higgins and the colour of his boots is beyond me.

irishgeo wrote: »
    Holmes was quoted in the mayo news he didnt have time to do the job.

Seems to have done a U-Turn to work with Connelly is what was stated

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

That's the jist of it - he got rid of the perception that Mayo were a soft touch. What that has got to do with Keith Higgins and the colour of his boots is beyond me.

Not a bit. It was a response to Brolly who was on about Mortimer.
    Horan was only venting, he should have let it lie, but I think he wanted to have a go at the County Board more than moan about the Limerick venue.
    He also had a dig at them on the interview he did before the Dublin Donegal game.
    Doesn't surprise me really, the county board have always had issues with players and managers. But they have to keep a rein on funds so its not going to be a happy clappy camp either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Seems to have done a U-Turn to work with Connelly is what was stated

Well both are competetent guys so i can't say I wouldn't be happy with them.
    Either way I think that both McStay/McHale or Connelly/Holmes can do a job for Mayo, can they do "the" job of bringing an AI title, well why not.
    Managers of Dublin/Kerry/Donegal all started off without intercounty experience and from similar positions, so we have to have faith in them lads they appoint.
    There are very fine lines these days, all we need is the bounce of a ball or a tight tactical move to go right and then who knows.

yop wrote: »
    Not a bit. It was a response to Brolly who was on about Mortimer.
    Horan was only venting, he should have let it lie, but I think he wanted to have a go at the County Board more than moan about the Limerick venue.
    He also had a dig at them on the interview he did before the Dublin Donegal game.
    Doesn't surprise me really, the county board have always had issues with players and managers. But they have to keep a rein on funds so its not going to be a happy clappy camp either.

I think you miss-read my point. Someone saw that Horan commented on Mayo being seen as a team of players with white boots and bleached hair and thus being a soft touch and that that image is now gone. They then (laughably) said that 'sure wasn't Keith Higgins wearing white boots the last day'. Maybe it was a really clever attempt at humour but I highly doubt it!

I think you miss-read my point. Someone saw that Horan commented on Mayo being seen as a team of players with white boots and bleached hair and thus being a soft touch and that that image is now gone. They then (laughably) said that 'sure wasn't Keith Higgins wearing white boots the last day'. Maybe it was a really clever attempt at humour but I highly doubt it!

If they think that Higgins is a pretty boy and soft touch because he wears white boots then they need to get out from under the hair dryer :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I don't want to get into a whole reanalysis of the Kerry game and yes stats are very interesting and I'm sure they show valuable data about the game.

But I was talking in a more general sense i.e. the problem with Donaghey was as much Mayo's inability to stop the ball getting to him as it was Cafferkey's inability to deal with that ball when it arrived.
    And that's Horan's point, that Caffertkey is not the only one to blame.

I just highlighted two things in you post.

Were we not all in agreement in the week leading up to the replay that Mayo should just play their natural game and dispense with sweepers etc after what we saw in the first half of the drawn game ?
    Mayo got an awful roasting in midfield against Kerry.

Nobody saw such an overwhelming beating at midfield and we were not able to do much about it during the game either. Anyway its gone so lets get ready for next year.

My point was that it was Horan who patted himself on the back for getting rid of the perception of Mayo as fancy Dans (trust me in Kerry we realised that after the 2011 semi final, when some of the late "tackles" bordered on assault).

He aligned this with the white boots and dyed hair analogy in a snipe at Mortimor - I was merely pointing out that a number of Mayo players continue to wear white boots. Personally I would still see that as a sign of fancy dan-ness but obviously Horan doesn't is he has no issue with his players wearing white boots.

At least he got rid of the lads with Hawaiian shirts doing the warm up I suppose.

My point was that it was Horan who patted himself on the back for getting rid of the perception of Mayo as fancy Dans (trust me in Kerry we realised that after the 2011 semi final, when some of the late "tackles" bordered on assault).

He aligned this with the white boots and dyed hair analogy in a snipe at Mortimor - I was merely pointing out that a number of Mayo players continue to wear white boots. Personally I would still see that as a sign of fancy dan-ness but obviously Horan doesn't is he has no issue with his players wearing white boots.

At least he got rid of the lads with Hawaiian shirts doing the warm up I suppose.

So the Kerry players dont wear white boots then?

As for fancy dans..... sweet God your lad invented it in the GAA!!!

paul

20130714-124032.jpg

And the clincher...
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQI5PC8mkinuvmmSCijO8U_UAGpTrqFoTMKQQbNfF-g6_-0CBx

Never saw him wear white boots on the field yop!

Or a Hawaiian shirt during the warm up!

Never saw him wear white boots on the field yop!

Or a Hawaiian shirt during the warm up!

Have a look at the Kerry team, see plenty of white boots.

Hawaiian shirt in the warm up.. what Mayo player wore that?

I think even an Hawaiian shirt is a million miles behind a man bad and a mac!

So plenty of "dans" then in the Kerry team. ;)

You're talking some sh1te kiddo!

the bit in bold when did a gaa match become non contact
    will ya just go and get beat on sunday like a good lad

• Advertisement

I hate fancy dans who wear white boots me, but Kerry lads dont... oh wait ;)

anthony-maher-with-seamus-oshea-390x285.jpg

Horan_At_Parade_Two_Teams2014.jpg

Even fancy blue boots!!! Whats the world coming to. All they need now is a man bag ;)

james-oodonoghue-and-michael-shields-6-600x500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Galvin is a show in fairness, but Gerry McInerney, the Galway hurler is definitely the man who started the white boots craze back in 1987 or even before!

gerry-mcinerney-1989-3-630x454.jpg

Galvin is a show in fairness, but Gerry McInerney, the Galway hurler is definitely the man who started the white boots craze back in 1987 or even before!

gerry-mcinerney-1989-3-630x454.jpg

Ah ya he was full on that lad, he was a fine hurler. Has his own sports shop now selling shoes! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Who gives a **** what colour boots someone wants to wear? Christ on a bike.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Who gives a **** what colour boots someone wants to wear? Christ on a bike.

And do you know what Christ wore on the bike... :D;)

wirecarb-wht_2.png

You're talking some sh1te kiddo!

Thanks and enjoy the winter.

Cos next year is ye're year;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

yop wrote: »
    Well both are competetent guys so i can't say I wouldn't be happy with them.
    Either way I think that both McStay/McHale or Connelly/Holmes can do a job for Mayo, can they do "the" job of bringing an AI title, well why not.
    Managers of Dublin/Kerry/Donegal all started off without intercounty experience and from similar positions, so we have to have faith in them lads they appoint.
    There are very fine lines these days, all we need is the bounce of a ball or a tight tactical move to go right and then who knows.

We had Holmes as Mayo manager and he didn't exactly pull up any trees. In fairness he faced a great Galway team at the time. I give him credit for winning the League but its just the league.

Anyone for a dream team of McStay managing and Connelly as assistant? Surely this is the answer to everything given the uncertainty around McHale and Holmes.

realweirdo wrote: »
    We had Holmes as Mayo manager and he didn't exactly pull up any trees. In fairness he faced a great Galway team at the time. I give him credit for winning the League but its just the league.

Anyone for a dream team of McStay managing and Connelly as assistant? Surely this is the answer to everything given the uncertainty around McHale and Holmes.

Think it would be perfect, but cant see it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

List of Mayo's 2015 National League Fixtures(Provisional)

10367785_538522286279923_7755591574637853522_n.jpg?oh=7c05f38c4d56ad245061242463b9adf1&oe=54C91870&__gda__=1422195912_df763f76f71d1cb3cea7977690ae6f93

Early chance to get some small measure of revenge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

seligehgit wrote: »
    List of Mayo's 2015 National League Fixtures(Provisional)

10367785_538522286279923_7755591574637853522_n.jpg?oh=7c05f38c4d56ad245061242463b9adf1&oe=54C91870&__gda__=1422195912_df763f76f71d1cb3cea7977690ae6f93

Early chance to get some small measure of revenge!
    that's 3 long away trips.......where is the Dublin match that its on at 7...../surely not croke park

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement