Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Yeah, as i said, i'm only really following snippets. But always fear the worst with our County Board.

Well now that I've gone looking its appearing everywhere...it's hard to know. I would be pleased if Buckley was staying on though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Barlett wrote: »
    Well now that I've gone looking its appearing everywhere...it's hard to know. I would be pleased if Buckley was staying on though.

I assumed Buckley would be gone and we'd be starting from scratch? Great news if we're keeping him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

realweirdo wrote: »
    Again, has anyone from the Selection Committee sat down with McStay? The committee was still being put together last night. So did they all drive to his home this morning or did he drive down to meet them in Mayo?

Surely they at least listened to what he had to say.

He won an All-Ireland Club title FFS! At least one face to face would have been a good idea. Its hard to gauge someone's ideas on the game from listening to them talk for a few minutes on the Sunday Game. In any case he usually has very insightful analysis on the Sunday Game, so again an interview would have helped. This is beyond a joke.

In a previous post you said
    We all know the facts.
    yet obviously you don't. Cant you just wait until it's done and then offer judgement when we do actually know the facts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Yep, it's not just Hoganstand, it is everywhere. I'd say he's had the job for weeks now, since Horan stepped down. Let's hope it's not true anyways and proper proceedures are adhered to. McStay at least deserves that.

In a previous post you said yet obviously you don't. Cant you just wait until it's done and then offer judgement when we do actually know the facts?

I'm just relaying what's all over the news. Don't shoot the messenger here. Connelly as good as confirmed is what everyone is saying.

Looks certain now

https://www.newstalk.ie/Noel-Connelly-to-be-new-Mayo-manager

Not trying to be pedantic about it, but the facts are the nominations were closed Thursday night, the selection committee was being put together last night.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/strong-backing-for-mcstay-to-be-next-mayo-manager-287783.html

And Connelly has the the job today.

So either it was agreed he'd get the job before nominations were closed and/or selection committee had a chance to even meet properly or else it was agreed within a few hours of selection committee meeting.

Either way its a rubber stamping, end of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Is It true mc stay has Had issues With The County board in The past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

It's been on national news reports. It's everywhere. It's a done deal. Some people need to be whacked over the face with something before they dare believe it.

The rumours about the Mayo CB not wanting McHale involved seem a real possibility now - McStay was never going to throw his brother-in-law and long-time collaborator under the bus for the job. McStay was always going to drive a harder bargain than Connelly, who seems to be on the inside track with the current Mayo brain trust. McStay would have been as independent (or even more so) than Horan so there may well not have been much appetite for the CB to upset the gray-beards in Mayo clubrooms even more after Horan riled them up so much over the last four years.

No need for interviews in the scenario of the Mayo making ridiculous demands of McStay - he'd tell them where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Syferus wrote: »
    It's been on national news reports. It's everywhere. It's a done deal. Some people need to be whacked over the face with something before they dare believe it.

The rumours about the Mayo CB not wanting McHale involved seem a real possibility now - McStay was never going to throw his brother-in-law and long-time collaborator under the bus for the job. McStay was always going to drive a harder bargain than Connelly, who seems to be on the inside track with the current Mayo brain trust. McStay would have been as independent (or even more so) than Horan so there may well not have been much appetite for the CB to upset the gray-beards in Mayo clubrooms even more after Horan riled them up so much over the last four years.

No need for interviews in the scenario of the Mayo making ridiculous demands of McStay - he'd tell them where to go.

Genuine question here - but what kind of ridiculous demands would they make?

• Advertisement

Postponent of club games, more resources to compete with the likes of Donegal and Dublin, and possibly paying for week long training camps of the type Donegal have been doing before important games.

That good enough for you?

You can't expect to win AI's if you aren't matching your main rivals in terms of preparations. I'm sure even someone like you would agree with that. Horan had to threathen to resign to get his way on some issues. Would Connelly be the same? If not, and he becomes a County Board Yes man who won't rock the boat, then we can forget about being competitive at the business end.

Trying to axe his number one selector because of previous bad blood would certainly qualify. The Mayo CB have made it clear they want to hem in the manager's ability to control access to county men, something most managers at the highest level are very wary of.

They would have known what the end result of playing hard ball would be in that situation too. The truth of what has happened will spill out eventually anyways.

Postponent of club games, more resources to compete with the likes of Donegal and Dublin, and possibly paying for week long training camps of the type Donegal have been doing before important games.

That good enough for you?

You can't expect to win AI's if you aren't matching your main rivals in terms of preparations. I'm sure even someone like you would agree with that. Horan had to threathen to resign to get his way on some issues. Would Connelly be the same? If not, and he becomes a County Board Yes man who won't rock the boat, then we can forget about being competitive at the business end.

No inter county manager should have a say over when club matches are scheduled. I believe this should be the case in all counties. Its a broader debate than the Mayo manager job. There should be no county players involved in club matches the week before the match, possibly two weeks. But managers should not control club fixtures. If that becomes the case, then club football deteriorates and that means county football suffers in the long term.

Interestingly, from what I have heard of people within the Mayo camp, it was that Mayo actually do have loads of resources. In terms of nutritionists etc, nothing is spared. So I am curious if there is any potential for improvement here. Maybe a new manager would like to cut back on such things. Who knows....

Someone like me - whats that supposed to mean??
    Trying to axe his number one selector because of previous bad blood would certainly qualify. The Mayo CB have made it clear they want to hem in the manager's ability to control access to county men, something most managers at the highest level are very wary of.

They would have known what the end result of playing hard ball would be in that situation too. The truth of what has happened will spill out eventually anyways.

Aah ok, that would be out of order. A manager should be able to select his own backroom team as he needs to be able to work with them. But from reports I read a couple of weeks ago, it was the players who had a problem with McHale, not the county board. Or does McHale just annoy a lot of people?! :)

No inter county manager should have a say over when club matches are scheduled. I believe this should be the case in all counties.

Someone like me - whats that supposed to mean??

I'm afraid you just aren't keeping up with the modern demands of managers.

Jim McGuinness, who most people rate as perhaps the best manager in the game credited the postponement of club games as having a major factor in Donegal's success this year. James Horan also demanded it. I think I will trust these guys over some of the people who run County Boards.

In other words, if a top manager asks for club games to be postponed to give the county the best possible chance, they should be postponed, no questions asked.

When I say someone like you, I mean that you seem to consistantly disagree with the approach taken by the likes of Horan and McGuinness and you downplay their influence and role. So I take it you have managed with some success somewhere?

Again I will defer to their ability and knowhow.

McGuinness is a sports psychologist and is leading the way in terms of the advancement of Gaelic football. To ignore what Donegal are doing or not to try and emmulate some of it, is a recipe for being left behind. The new manager will have to be as radical as McGuinness.

As for McHale, there is nothing wrong with him. He's passionate about the game, so much so that he still hurts from 1996. I'd rather that than someone that's not too bothered about winning or losing.

As for expecting club championships to go ahead without major inter-county players playing, I'm sorry this is a farcical comment. Clubs like Breaffy, Castlebar, Ballina and others would be put at a major disadvantage because of this and probably wouldn't come out of Mayo. It's not going to happen. Players will find a way to play for their clubs.

I'm afraid you just aren't keeping up with the modern demands of managers.

Jim McGuinness, who most people rate as perhaps the best manager in the game credited the postponement of club games as having a major factor in Donegal's success this year. James Horan also demanded it. I think I will trust these guys over some of the people who run County Boards.

In other words, if a top manager asks for club games to be postponed to give the county the best possible chance, they should be postponed, no questions asked.

When I say someone like you, I mean that you seem to consistantly disagree with the approach taken by the likes of Horan and McGuinness and you downplay their influence and role. So I take it you have managed with some success somewhere?

Again I will defer to their ability and knowhow.

What? I have never mentioned McGuinness anywhere in this thread :confused:

McGuinness is a fantastic manager. Horan was a very good manager for Mayo.

I stand by that I do not think any inter-county manager should have influence over club matches. All you do is alienate club players. And county players are NOTHING without their clubs. So I do not think it is right for inter-county managers to demand such things. If I was the guy appointing an inter-county manager and he came into an interview demanding club championship would be postponed til after the county team are out of the championship, I would not agree. The county board need to look after club players as well as county players. You cannot just ignore club players. Sure, it would be great for the manager to have exclusive access to their players. But at the expense of the MAJORITY of senior players in the county? Sorry, but I dont think that is a reasonable demand of any manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

At least in Donegal players knew that that no championship games would be played until they were eliminated thus allowing them to arrange holidays the likes. Don't agree with it though.

• Advertisement

Take the county players out of Ballintubber, Breaffy, Castlebar and some other big teams and they are just average teams, no offence to the other players on these teams. It ain't going to happen regardless of what TCDstudent thinks. An important club championship game, the big players are going to try and play, and their clubs will want them to play. And then you have the County Board made up of representitives of the clubs getting upset with the County Manager.

And when you have big players playing for clubs a week before big All-Ireland games, there is a risk of injury to big players.

At least Horan tried to rise above the petty tribalism of the clubs. I hope the next manager will be able to do the same. Big players playing for clubs during the All-Ireland campaign, you can write off Mayo winning anything. You can be sure McStay would make it a demand and rightly so. Because he wants a professional approach. Which is why he probably won't get the Mayo job. The county board and the clubs want to call the shots in Mayo, one of the reasons its been 63 years since we won.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

In the overall scheme of things Mayo are pretty well resourced.
    Their medical n physio team is likely the best in the country as it can access n is run by thr Mayo injury clinic under Liam Moffat.
    Fitness was under Ed Coughlan an advanced coach expert in long term development of fitness n crucially coordination (left hand hand passes are up in Mayo football no small wonder). Team had a sports psychologist. They have Mchale park facilities n gym n The centre of excellence facilities n gym. A decathlete like Bryan Clay multiple record holder n medallist trained with his family at the track very often n had far from that kind of support in terms of access to backroom team. Did nicer hotels n lack of a prep week get us beaten by Kerry or a lack of a four year developed full back? An excuse about resources is taking easy way out. There is a setup there to deliver prepared match fresh players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

It's a done deal. Connelly has it. Players wanted him as well from what I hear

The didn't not want McStay or McHale. Once the CB decided to try and pick and choose who could be selector there was only going to be one name left in the hat. Connelly isn't a scrub but no one should be blinkered enough to think this process was anything resembling an organisational success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

It will be interesting anyhow with the co-manager setup but there has to me alot of doubts too in how it will work out as they are two big characters with likely different ideas. Suppose big positive in that both have been involved with alot of the team at some stage in underage ranks.

Oh and gwan the 'Haunis! Finally back in a county final again:D

• Advertisement

Statement Re: Mayo Senior Football Team Manager

Today Saturday 20th September 2014 the Mayo Senior Football Team Interview Committee met with the Executive of the Mayo County Board where they gave the recommendation that Noel Connolly & Pat Holmes be put forward for the position as Senior Football Team Manager. The other candidate in the process, Kevin McStay, was this afternoon informed of this intention. Mr McStay, while very disappointed, stated he was happy with the board’s decision and wished Noel Connolly and Pat Holmes the very best with their future endeavours.

The Mayo G.A.A. County Board would like to thank most sincerely Kevin McStay for his time in this process and we wish him the very best in the future.
    There will be no further comment until the new Management team has been put in place.

Fowler87 wrote: »
    It will be interesting anyhow with the co-manager setup but there has to me alot of doubts too in how it will work out as they are two big characters with likely different ideas. Suppose big positive in that both have been involved with alot of the team at some stage in underage ranks.

Oh and gwan the 'Haunis! Finally back in a county final again:D

Took a Kiltimagh man to get ye there :) Well done

Take the county players out of Ballintubber, Breaffy, Castlebar and some other big teams and they are just average teams, no offence to the other players on these teams. It ain't going to happen regardless of what TCDstudent thinks. An important club championship game, the big players are going to try and play, and their clubs will want them to play. And then you have the County Board made up of representitives of the clubs getting upset with the County Manager.

And when you have big players playing for clubs a week before big All-Ireland games, there is a risk of injury to big players.

At least Horan tried to rise above the petty tribalism of the clubs. I hope the next manager will be able to do the same. Big players playing for clubs during the All-Ireland campaign, you can write off Mayo winning anything. You can be sure McStay would make it a demand and rightly so. Because he wants a professional approach. Which is why he probably won't get the Mayo job. The county board and the clubs want to call the shots in Mayo, one of the reasons its been 63 years since we won.

The GAA in Mayo is a hell of a lot bigger than just the county team.

Took a Kiltimagh man to get ye there :) Well done

First year too has worked miracles with this young side. 1988 was our last so its a serious achievement considering the shambles we had last year regards management. Top young manager is Tomas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Is Noel Connelly's brother vice chairman of the county board? I just can't understand the speed at which this was done since nominations closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Statement Re: Mayo Senior Football Team Manager

Today Saturday 20th September 2014 the Mayo Senior Football Team Interview Committee met with the Executive of the Mayo County Board where they gave the recommendation that Noel Connolly & Pat Holmes be put forward for the position as Senior Football Team Manager. The other candidate in the process, Kevin McStay, was this afternoon informed of this intention. Mr McStay, while very disappointed, stated he was happy with the board’s decision and wished Noel Connolly and Pat Holmes the very best with their future endeavours.

The Mayo G.A.A. County Board would like to thank most sincerely Kevin McStay for his time in this process and we wish him the very best in the future.
    There will be no further comment until the new Management team has been put in place.

What a lovely bland statement that even a blind person could see through:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

I'm a bit surprised that it's happened all so fast, were all the candidates even interviewed?! It'll be interesting to hear what further comment the county board has on the matter. People were looking for someone the players will row in behind and continue to build upon the past 4 years, I think Connelly is the man to keep them rolling. Now that we have a Castlebar man on board will the allegations of prejudice against certain players finally cease?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

km79 wrote: »
    Is Noel Connelly's brother vice chairman of the county board? I just can't understand the speed at which this was done since nominations closed

Is that for sure? Would it not be a conflict of interest then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

yop wrote: »
    Is that for sure? Would it not be a conflict of interest then?

that was a genuine question from me to be sure its not hearsay BUT I'm almost certain he is.......

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

km79 wrote: »
    that was a genuine question from me to be sure its not hearsay BUT I'm almost certain he is.......

Not comfortable with that if that is the case. But that is me only been sceptical
    I think the McHale factor had a lot to do with this and McStays decision not to back down. Also I "believe" that the players preferred Connelly/Holmes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭KMFCross

Mike Connelly is Noels brother and he is Vice Chairman of the County Board.

http://www.mayogaa.com/contentPage/18067/executive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Thanks for that confirmation that you havent a clue. There is absolutley NO reason why you wouldnt just say it if you actually knew

:cool::cool::cool:Point proven, now go back under your rock and continue not having a clue!:cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Christ,
    A power of S...te being posted here all day.

On the selection process. Its not as if the CB did not start discussing who they wanted weeks if not months ago.
    Horans contract was up so they were hardly going to wait till 23.01 Thursday night to start figuring out who they wanted.

Connelly was always top of their list and all they needed was his official nomination to make it a done deal.
    And I'm sure they weighed up McStay in the past weeks and months also because he too was a likely candidate.

Now is Connelly a CB "yes" man ?
    I don't know, but some seem to think that because he is in the county and involved with the development teams then he is a "yes" man.
    If you recall Horan was in the county in 2010 too, was he a "yes" man ?

Finally I think its a good appointment, though I'm not sure how Holm's fits in officially yet.
    I have not seen the term joint managers used in the press release but I assume that is the idea.

They both have plenty of knowledge of what is in Mayo at the moment and I have said many times that that is what is needed right now in Mayo.
    Plus they were the managers of a lot of the core of this team as under 21 All Ireland winners.

As for McStay I think he was just seen as a bit of a blow in, even though he is from Mayo.
    Personally I would have no problem with McStay but I was not sure about McHale.
    I think his philosophy may be more rooted on 1996 tactics than 2015

Christ,

On the selection process. Its not as if the CB did not start discussing who they wanted weeks if not months ago.
    Horans contract was up so they were hardly going to wait till 23.01 Thursday night to start figuring out who they wanted.

Connelly was always top of their list and all they needed was his official nomination to make it a done deal.
    And I'm sure they weighed up McStay in the past weeks and months also because he too was a likely candidate.

I don't know, but some seem to think that because he is in the county and involved with the development teams then he is a "yes" man.

Finally I think its a good appointment, though I'm not sure how Holm's fits in officially yet.
    I have not seen the term joint managers used in the press release but I assume that is the idea.

They both have plenty of knowledge of what is in Mayo at the moment and I have said many times that that is what is needed right now in Mayo.
    Plus they were the managers of a lot of the core of this team as under 21 All Ireland winners.

As for McStay I think he was just seen as a bit of a blow in, even though he is from Mayo.

Agree with all of the above, been reading a few forums and Facebook pages and fk me all the barstoolers are out in force tonight. "Im not given them CB fkers a penny of my money again" "Connelly has not experience" etc etc etc.

As already stated, Connelly and Holmes have current or close on current county board experience. Connelly has been involved in the development squads and has U21 experience with Mayo so is not green as to how to manage a county team.
    McStay is been seen as the tactical genuis by some, of course he is when he gets a few hours to review the game before the Sunday Game and then analyzes it perfectly. Winning club with Bridgets was a great achivement, was Holmes winning a league title with Mayo not just as relevant and/or that team taking us to the U21 final or Holmes taking a Castlebar team to a club final?

I'm HOPING that its a managment team picked for the right reasons and not for money saving or "Yes men" mentality. If it is then I am sure McStay won't be slow at coming out telling us that.

Aside from that, we have to get on with it now, we seem to have spent a lot of time bitchN and moaning over the last few months over 1 thing or another, time to band together and hope this team can take us one more step.

Christ,

McHale's tactics were exactly what Horan so successfully relied on the past four seasons. Mayo played the high press short-passing game owing much to basketball that has long been a trademark of teams McHale has been involved with. A bit of revisionism is one thing but c'mon now, Father.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Who is Noel Connolly? Might be an underhand tactic by the Mayo county board to let everyone think they are appointing Noel Connelly while they have a trick up their sleeve. I know the GAA is an amateur organisation but to not even give the correct name of the person you are going to appoint as manager on your website is a pretty shambolic way to begin the new reign.

Am I right in thinking that when these two have been together Holmes has been the number 1 previously? If so, how will the change in dynamic work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

FaganJr wrote: »
    :cool::cool::cool:Point proven, now go back under your rock and continue not having a clue!:cool::cool::cool:

Where has it been proved that McStay wasnt liked by the players??? Maybe you should go back to your own rock

Its Connelly not Connolly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

Who will I put my money on tomorrow, lads.

• Advertisement

mattser wrote: »
    Who will I put my money on tomorrow, lads.

My lovely horse in the 3.30 at honeywell ;)

McHale's tactics were exactly what Horan so successfully relied on the past four seasons. Mayo played the high press short-passing game owing much to basketball that has long been a trademark of teams McHale has been involved with. A bit of revisionism is one thing but c'mon now, Father.

I said "philosophy" not "tactics"

I said "philosophy" not "tactics"

Philosophy and tactics are pretty much the same. Someone with a defensive philosophy is going to have defensive tactics. Less of your word games.

Clearly you have no issue with the farcical rubber stamping of Connelly. The rest of us do.

Who was on the selection committee? Answer us that please.

Fair and transparant my ar$e. McStay was stitched up good and proper. A dark day for mayo football.

I think Connelly is a superior candidate to McStay. But not sure I'd be keen for a joint manager situation. Has this ever worked with success in GAA before? I remember Armagh had joint managers before Kernan but it is debatable if their tenure is considered successful. Anybody have success with it?

I don't think any high profile county senior team has had joint managers.
    Tyrone had them pre Mickey Harte, i.e before they were high profile.
    Leitrim recently had joint managers and the Dr. Croke's team had joint managers in 2013, and possibly before that also.

The only success by joint managers I know of was Connelly and Holmes in the 2006 U-21, but there may be others.

That's complete rubbish. Tell that to Kilkenny hurlers playing club matches before big games or tyrone in their pomp doing it. Your above comment shows you are probably the type who never darkens the gates of the club but follows the county team. You have it the wrong way round. Football starts and ends with club football. Putting cotton wool over the mayo team and having no club games during the championship season is completely wrong and destroys club football.

You couldnt be further away if you tried. McHale is a coach with no real discernible tactics. I know because i played under him with a few teams (county and club). It wouldnt surprise me at all if a few of the senior mayo players had a word with the county board too. McHale would be a major drop in standard compared to Horan's reign.

• Advertisement

Peist2007 wrote: »
    You couldnt be further away if you tried. McHale is a coach with no real discernible tactics. I know because i played under him with a few teams (county and club). It wouldnt surprise me at all if a few of the senior mayo players had a word with the county board too. McHale would be a major drop in standard compared to Horan's reign.

Thank you
    That's the point I was trying to make re McHale.

Horan has set a certain high standard, a guy who was involved 10 years ago with Maugham is not going to maintain that standard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I hope Connelly is going to be the clear and obvious manager.

You can't have joint managers ? Who has the "Final" say.

In sport sometimes the decision has to be made immediately (If not sooner:P)

If only Kerry shooting was as bad against us...

Thank you
    That's the point I was trying to make re McHale.

Horan has set a certain high standard, a guy who was involved 10 years ago with Maugham is not going to maintain that standard.

Look at the all-ireland right now. No positions, zonal assignments. Football has moved on and the guys with mayo over the past 4 years were cutting edge or so i have heard. Nothing against McHale at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Well if it's any consolation we gave Kerry by far and away their toughest test in the championship.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement