Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

realweirdo wrote: »
    It's a bit more complex than that. Fair enough if people think there is little between the two, I have no problem with that. But the modern game is about inches, small percentages, and key tactics at important times in big games.

Connelly's last big achievement was in 2006 at under 21. The game has changed massively since then. Everything from tactics on the field to coaching, strength and conditioning, sports psychology and preparation off it.

Put it this way.

Let's imagine the Kerry Senior County management job came up. There were two candidates for it. Candidate 1 had a relation on the County Board. Candidate 2 was just as good as candidate 1 but unfortunately doesn't have the same connections.

Candidate 1 gets the job, no interviews of either candidate.

How would you feel about it? As a Kerry supporter would you be happy?

It might be worth taking a look at the Cork thread to see what they think of a selection process where the interview is given priority, where many people feel like Cuthbert's abilities with Powerpoint got him a job he should be nowhere near.

To answer your question, if we had two candidates who are as good as each other I don't think it matters a whole lot how they pick the winner. You are right that it's the 1 or 2% that can make the difference in the heat of an intercounty final etc., but are you going to find out which of the two is 1% better in a three hour interview with a couple of suits? I'm not sure that's a realistic way to look at the whole thing.

Realistically, the fact that Connelly has a good relationship with the county board is more likely to get you your 1% than cost you it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Ironically I find myself disagreeing with what the majority are saying re:McHale, think he seems like an excellent thinker on the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

I just do not understand the thinking behind this lie from the County Board.
    Today Saturday 20th September 2014 the Mayo Senior Football Team Interview Committee met with the Executive of the Mayo County Board where they gave the recommendation that Noel Connolly & Pat Holmes be put forward for the position as Senior Football Team Manager.

At the very least it would be nice to know who drafted and signed off on this statement. I know its the Mayo County Board. They make the FAI look like world class administrators.

But its pathetic that people like this are running Mayo football. I suppose its like all other counties, so long as they get their Croke Park allocation on big match days, they aren't too bothered what happens to the team.

As I read from another post in another forum, the Mayo County Board are the real curse affecting Mayo football.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭boosabum

In all fairness to McStay, he deserved a shot at presenting his slide show and getting to present the attributes he believes he has that will make Mayo a winner.
    Nothing is guranteed in gaelic football expect failure for all bar one county each year.
    Only 5 people would have know what each of the applicants would have presented and if there was only ever going to be winner then at least only the 5 would have full knowledge of the loaded nice. Now everyone knows. So it's a crooked game and everyone knows about the crooked game, double whammy to McStay.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭boosabum

In all fairness to McStay, he deserved a shot at presenting his slide show and getting to present the attributes he believes he has that will make Mayo a winner.
    Nothing is guranteed in gaelic football expect failure for all bar one county each year.
    Only 5 people would have know what each of the applicants would have presented and if there was only ever going to be winner then at least only the 5 would have full knowledge of the loaded dice. Now everyone knows. So it's a crooked game and everyone knows about the crooked game, double whammy to McStay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

this has placed the new management under pressure already in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Due process should have been followed. McStay at the very least deserved an interview and a chance to pitch them his plan for Mayo football. Wasn't that how James Horan got the job?

Something was definitely off in the way that nominations were announced on Thursday followed by rumours leaking out all day on the Saturday, Mid West being disingenuously told at 6pm that no-one had been appointed, capped off by a rushed statement in the evening, implying that the Executive had given their blessing to the appointment when no such thing had happened. It's not how a serious set up should operate. We don't even know what the official structure is going to be.

It's clear that the higher ups in the County Board wanted Connelly and Holmes and that was that. It's not good enough and not fair on the incumbents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

km79 wrote: »
    this has placed the new management under pressure already in my opinion

But in no fault to their own making which isnt fair to them. What a bunch of dinosaurs there are in the county board setup. Big cleanup needed. Question is who wants to get involved...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

yop wrote: »
    Have said it in many places already in this thread, I am not at all happy with the way its been done.

Fair enough.
    This is Mayo county board, untouchable and answerable to now one, used it for the last 40 years, it never changes and unless someone figures out how this will be changed, then this wont be the last time this happens.

Maybe we need a Cork style revolt.
    I know it is not nice and it can be very devisive, but it can force some changes.
    Either that or a sponsor pulls the plug.
    I can't say I wouldn't have been happy with McStay either, I didn't think McHale was the ideal man to be there though, so my preference was the Connelly/holmes partnership.

My worry about the Connelly/Holmes thing is that it appears to be a
    joint management.
    Joint management no more than management by committee can be a recipe for disaster.
    We went through all this with the last appointment of O'Mahoney also, Moran was shafted back in 2006 due to a fallout with the board. So this has the same "smell" about it.
    That said I think/hope that Connelly and Holmes can do a job, if they don't then we are back to square one again, like we were after O'Mahoney disastrous spell in 2007.

Unless there is a massive public backlash from Mayo GAA club members then this team will be ratified.

Look we all know it is a done deal.
    But to an outsider, this just looks like more Mayo ineptitude.
    Even worse they issued a complete and blatant lie as a press release which really should involve people stepping down.
    But as you said this is the county board.
    I reckon there will be some circling of the wagons and some form of mealy mouthed excuse for outside consumption.
    But I have a feeling this whole episode is going to be dragged up in the future and some scores settled.

It is not the type of start anyone wants for any manager and it looks like the guys got it because of being in the tent pi**ing out rather than on merit.

I do think McStay deserved better.
    I think he did have an inkling of what he was facing when he stated on the Sunday Game about the fact he would like to be considered and felt he was deserving of at least a call.

Well he got a call alright.
    He was called to tell him to not bother showing up. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

This is Mayo county board, untouchable and answerable to now one, used it for the last 40 years, it never changes and unless someone figures out how this will be changed, then this wont be the last time this happens.

Sensationalist nonsense, they are answerable to the full county board and can be challenged every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Trying not be too repetitive but the County Board have not covered themselves in glory.At the very least Kevin McStay deserved a fair shot at the job,what should the apparent hostility towards Liam McHale have to do with Kevin McStay's candidature.The next manager is not to be in situ to make friends on the County Board or players for that matter but rather to work with them to get that extra percent to win the All Ireland.It does appear to somebody like myself with no inside knowledge that the County Board got the appointment they seeked,none too convinced by the joint management concept...il duce.

The process was ridiculously hasty even if the argument stands that this was likely to be James Horan's last year,how likely is that if we'd brought back Sam?I highly doubt any preparations were made to put in a manager in place until quite some period of time post the Kerry replay.No proper review of the past 4 years.Truly admire that official that has resigned over this apparent sham.Agree with most posters that probably much separating the candidates but IMO Kevin McStay appears to be a good reader of the game which is what largely cost an All Ireland over the last few years.

There's too much doubt here. There's a doubt if Holmes can fully committ to the job. I have my doubts he can. There's a doubt who really is the number 1. There's a doubt who has the final say. There's a doubt if joint management works.

Sorry? What doubts are there and by whom? You're way out of order here if you cant back tha up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I think the concern here is that the county board pushed through the appointment as quickly as they could without the agreed process being adhered to. Why was this?
    Do they think Noel Connelly and Pat Holmes will be 'yes men' more so than McStay. Will Noel Connelly be inclined to keep the head down and not make ultimatums given that his brother is on the other side of the wall. It looks that way tbh.

What I can't understand is how they've managed to create such a **** storm. They could have interviewed McStay just to be seen to be doing the right thing and most of this could have been avoided. Bulls in a China shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Well if they were just going to be 'yes men' why would they even bother with the job in the first place? The only reason they're taking it is because they believe they can do better.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    I think the concern here is that the county board pushed through the appointment as quickly as they could without the agreed process being adhered to. Why was this?
    Do they think Noel Connelly and Pat Holmes will be 'yes men' more so than McStay. Will Noel Connelly be inclined to keep the head down and not make ultimatums given that his brother is on the other side of the wall. It looks that way tbh.

What I can't understand is how they've managed to create such a **** storm. They could have interviewed McStay just to be seen to be doing the right thing and most of this could have been avoided. Bulls in a China shop.

The two boys would have been ratified no bother so i just cant get my head around why it all ended up in such a mess, it makes no sense. I don't buy the line that they will be yes men either, i think thats very disrespectful to the two lads. From what ive heard McStay did have discussions with the co board if not an official interview as such./

Barlett wrote: »
    Well if they were just going to be 'yes men' why would they even bother with the job in the first place? The only reason they're taking it is because they believe they can do better.

You're looking at it from the wrong perspective - the county boards.

Discussing it now on Off The Ball

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Something obviously happened after the Friday night meeting attended by Gerry Bourke and the other members of the executive that meant the interview process could not go ahead as planned.
    While we can speculate (and it wouldn't take Columbo to come up with the likely reasons) we don't have all the facts in the public domain.
    The most benign reading is that McStay pulled out himself but that doesn't explain the cloak and dagger approach taken by the county board that led to the resignation and anger.
    This is a most unfortunate start for Connelly and Holmes and there will be some people that have been marginalised in this process who might be lurking in the long grass waiting for their opportunity to strike.
    None of this is any good for Mayo GAA and the chairman and all concerned with this circumvention of process are totally and solely to blame and have proven themselves unworthy of the offices that they hold.

Panrich wrote: »
    Something obviously happened after the Friday night meeting attended by Gerry Bourke and the other members of the executive that meant the interview process could not go ahead as planned.
    While we can speculate (and it wouldn't take Columbo to come up with the likely reasons) we don't have all the facts in the public domain.
    The most benign reading is that McStay pulled out himself but that doesn't explain the cloak and dagger approach taken by the county board that led to the resignation and anger.
    This is a most unfortunate start for Connelly and Holmes and there will be some people that have been marginalised in this process who might be lurking in the long grass waiting for their opportunity to strike.
    None of this is any good for Mayo GAA and the chairman and all concerned with this circumvention of process are totally and solely to blame and have proven themselves unworthy of the offices that they hold.

McHale was interviewed there on OTB and McStay certainly didnt pull out

but he was encouraged to do so .....god what an embarrassing shambles.
    Holmes and Connelly are blameless in this BUT will be under increased pressure and scrutiny from the get go now DISASTER

• Advertisement

Sounds like the County Board Chairman will struggle to survive this fiasco,went on a solo run.Kevin McStay's proposals were too radical for the powers that be.Sounds like just what we needed!

Well there goes the benign reason and we're only left with the cloak and daggers.

but he was encouraged to do so .....god what an embarrassing shambles.
    Holmes and Connelly are blameless in this BUT will be under increased pressure and scrutiny from the get go now DISASTER

Well thats McHales take on it, he's hardly an uninterested observer. A right mess allright but i dont think the lads will be under any extra pressure, there is a wave of goodwill behind them in the county. This row will blow over in a couple of weeks

seligehgit wrote: »
    Sounds like the County Board Chairman will struggle to survive this fiasco,went on a solo run.Kevin McStay's proposals were too radical for the powers that be.Sounds like just what we needed!

We didnt even hear what his proposals were for gods sake, how do you know they are what we need? Change for the sake of change isnt necessarily a good thing

The head honchos in the County board wanted Connelly and Holmes. Simple as. Only they bungled the whole scheme.

Liam McHale sounded dejected on air, saying he'll never be involved with Mayo again. His time will come though, if he really wants it.

The head honchos in the County board wanted Connelly and Holmes. Simple as. Only they bungled the whole scheme.

Liam McHale sounded dejected on air, saying he'll never be involved with Mayo again. His time will come though, if he really wants it.

Who in their right mind would deal with the chancers in charge of the Mayo county board after this?
    They have to go en masse.

Yes very sad,hopefully his time will come and he'll have a change of heart.Mentioned from 18 all he wanted to do was win an All Ireland with Mayo.When it did'nt happen for him as a player he'd love to have put it right via a management role.A Mayo man through and through speaking from the heart whatever his detractors say re his qualifications for such a role.

Who in their right mind would deal with the chancers in charge of the Mayo county board after this?
    They have to go en masse.

Oh don't be such a drama queen, they made a complete balls of it, no is one disputing that but no need to go ott, they are decent people who have the best interests of Mayo football at heart. If there is a groundswell of opinion against them they can be challenged at annual convention, that is if some of them havent resigned in the meantime

Well thats McHales take on it, he's hardly an uninterested observer. A right mess allright but i dont think the lads will be under any extra pressure, there is a wave of goodwill behind them in the county. This row will blow over in a couple of weeks

he has come out on national radio and given a fairly detailed timeline of events.
    I'd be inclined to believe him more than any spiel that will have to come from the county boars after Thursdays meeting

• Advertisement

Oh don't be such a drama queen, they made a complete balls of it, no is one disputing that but no need to go ott, they are decent people who have the best interests of Mayo football at heart. If there is a groundswell of opinion against them they can be challenged at annual convention, that is if some of them havent resigned in the meantime

No they did not make a balls of it. They have lied and bypassed an agreed process for their own ends. They have to go and anyone who defends them is as bad as themselves. Cronyism at it's worst has been exposed and you want to forgive and forget.

he has come out on national radio and given a fairly detailed timeline of events.
    I'd be inclined to believe him more than any spiel that will have to come from the county boars after Thursdays meeting

I'll wait till i hear the co boards version of evens before i rush to judgement.

No they did not make a balls of it. They have lied and bypassed an agreed process for their own ends. They have to go and anyone who defends them is as bad as themselves. Cronyism at it's worst has been exposed and you want to forgive and forget.
    Cronyism my arse, i think it was just a major balls up. And this 'they have to go' stuff, who will replace them? it will be the same kind of people. And i'm not defending anyone, but i'm not rushing to condemn either till i get more information.

I do think that events got out of hand on Saturday and they (co board) didnt know how to react. I dont think it was a deliberate planned series of events. By the way what news outlet broke the news first? newstalk afaik, surprise surprise

All four former players...fabulous servants of Mayo GAA have been treated appallingly.However Noel Connelly and Pat Holmes at least have the satisfaction of being in situ,the controversy will indeed blow over very quickly.

In contrast Kevin McStay and his proposed selector Liam McHale will not be in situ and will have lots of time to spend in contemplation of their interactions with Mayo GAA officialdom and have a very bitter taste in their mouth.I'm sure they both have long memories.No way to treat two such dedicated past servants of Mayo GAA.

Cronyism my arse, i think it was just a major balls up. And this 'they have to go' stuff, who will replace them? it will be the same kind of people. And i'm not defending anyone, but i'm not rushing to condemn either till i get more information.

I do think that events got out of hand on Saturday and they (co board) didnt know how to react. I dont think it was a deliberate planned series of events. By the way what news outlet broke the news first? newstalk afaik, surprise surprise

Why did Gerry Bourke resign and say that the reason was that the process agreed to twelve hours earlier had been ditched? Interviews were to have been held and specific questions put to each candidate but the next day the job was handed to Connelly and Holmes.

And are you seriously telling me that we couldn't find a few decent and honest men to run our counties affairs and that all we have to replace proven liars are more of the same?

I'll wait till i hear the co boards version of evens before i rush to judgement.

To be fair, whatever they say - they haven't got much credibility left after this.

• Advertisement

oh they will have a "version" alright!
    what version of events co you expect to hear?
    that all protocol was followed , interviews were held etc?
    I.e. evefy single person who has opened their mouth so far is lying ?
    noone is even denying it!

To be fair, whatever they say - they haven't got much credibility left after this.

No they havent but im still curious to hear their take on it, im sure everyone is

And are you seriously telling me that we couldn't find a few decent and honest men to run our counties affairs and that all we have to replace proven liars are more of the same?

I think the officers there at present are decent and honest men but they or one or two of them ave amide a complete pigs ear of this. I dont think it was a deliberate 'conspiracy' or anything like that.

oh they will have a "version" alright!
    what version of events co you expect to hear?
    that all protocol was followed , interviews were held etc?
    I.e. evefy single person who has opened their mouth so far is lying ?
    noone is even denying it!

I want to hear what happened between the Friday night meeting and the phone calls to McStay on Saturday and who made the decisions relating to those calls, who signed off on the statement issued that night, why some members of the exec were called and other weren't etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Seriously McHale need to have a look in the mirror.

His whinge that since he was 18 all he wanted to do was win an All Ireland for Mayo was pathetic.

He has had his chances, he only has himself to blame.

He was the one who went in high and dangerous into the mellee in the '96 replay, giving the ref little choice but to sent him off.
    Had he not been so stupid Mayo would have won that day.

He was also part of the setup in '04, how did that work out Liam.

Seriously Liam you had your chance now piss off and stop moaning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

We'll wait until the county board make a statement... if they do!
    So they have both made presentations and once was deemed to radical. I wonder in what context exactly. "for the county board", was it the board they wanted changed or was it something to do with the change.
    From what i understand and I think I said this earlier, the players wanted buckley to remain, McStay didn't want him, Connelly did. If that is the level of change, well it seems minor but if the players wanted Buckley then they have to have a level of say in this.
    Its looking like it has been handled very very badly by the County board, possibly the details were leaked, you don't know what shUI!te goes on with power tug on boards, though if this was a delibrate blocking by the chairman alone then he has to walk, no excuses.

We can't seem to just get on with it, we seem to have spent a lot of time in the eye of various storms over the last 6 months. Wish to fk we could just get on with the end goal and not have another episode of drama coming out from our GAA .

So they have both made presentations and once was deemed to radical. I wonder in what context exactly. "for the county board", was it the board they wanted changed or was it something to do with the change.
    From what i understand and I think I said this earlier, the players wanted buckley to remain, McStay didn't want him, Connelly did. If that is the level of change, well it seems minor but if the players wanted Buckley then they have to have a level of say in this.
    Its looking like it has been handled very very badly by the County board, possibly the details were leaked, you don't know what shUI!te goes on with power tug on boards, though if this was a delibrate blocking by the chairman alone then he has to walk, no excuses.

We can't seem to just get on with it, we seem to have spent a lot of time in the eye of various storms over the last 6 months. Wish to fk we could just get on with the end goal and not have another episode of drama coming out from our GAA .

What various storms? :confused: There was a one or two day controversy over Limerick but we actually did get on with things regarding that issue. genuinely not sure what you mean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Exactly...I think the position of Buckley is the key factor and what they actually mean when speaking about 'continuity', most likely both had to put forward the make up of their backroom team and McStay wanted a clean out while Connelly wanted to retain Buckley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Don't think there is any way the chairman survives this. If the report is true and he basically done his own solo run to inform McStay that Connelly and Holmes would be getting the job, and the rest of the county board say that they had no knowledge of him doing this - then his position is completely untenable.

It's unfortunate because I think they got the right men but clearly in the wrong way. If they knew they were going to give it to Connelly and Holmes then why didn't they just go through the interview process and then inform him?

From what I've heard, the players weren't keen on McHale coming in due to some articles he had written about the team in the last couple years for one of the national papers. Connelly/Holmes were also keen on keeping on Donie Buckley and the players wanted that continuity in the squad.

His whinge that since he was 18 all he wanted to do was win an All Ireland for Mayo was pathetic.

He was the one who went in high and dangerous into the mellee in the '96 replay, giving the ref little choice but to sent him off.

that is EXTREMELY harsh !!!! he was probably the Mayo lad who did least in that melee. Meath were delighted to see him go ......why ? cos he was an excellent player.A bit like Ciaran McDonald he was not appreciated as much as he should have been as he did not fit the mould of a stereotypical footballer.
    I find the borderline hatred of him baffling. A lot of people kept saying he would not be welcomed by the players BUT nobody put forward a reason why apart from their own dislike of him.
    He owes Mayo nothing

Sorry? What doubts are there and by whom? You're way out of order here if you cant back tha up

FFS...the word was last week he couldn't commit fully to the managerial job and wasn't interested. This week he's signed up to a co-managers job.

What is the difference here? Manager, Co-Manager, either he's at every training session, putting in the work going to club games, going to watch young players or scouting opponents, or he isn't. The co-manager job is surely as time consuming as a full managerial job. Unless they are going to split duties in which case it could be a right mess.

I will go look for his quote on why he wasn't interested in the full managerial job. I am just going on what was reported. Again, stop shooting the messenger here!

So you'd rather a manager or assistant that didn't care if Mayo won an AI or not? Get real. He's passionate about winning an AI and you see this as a negative? Seriously?

That's completely out of order. As if he tried to get himself sent off. He's been a great servant for the county and if he ever does get another chance to come on board with the team I'll be behind him 100%.

Whatever you think of him he didn't deserve the treatment he got from the board.

So you'd rather a manager or assistant that didn't care if Mayo won an AI or not? Get real. It's passionate about winning an AI and you see this as a negative? Seriously?

soms people just never liked him and never will.
    Too much of a fancy Dan was a line I heard a few times
    never understood that attitude
    wonderful footballer

Barlett wrote: »
    Exactly...I think the position of Buckley is the key factor and what they actually mean when speaking about 'continuity', most likely both had to put forward the make up of their backroom team and McStay wanted a clean out while Connelly wanted to retain Buckley.

I seriously doubt this. McStay wasn't even properly interviewed. I doubt he told anyone of his plans before being formally interviewed. I'd prefer to hear his verson of events than people speculating.

Its a red herring, the County Board trying to cover themselves once more. It isn't working. They've made a hash of it and the brave thing to do would be for the County Board to own up to it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement