Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

The new away kit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

glack wrote: »
    The new away kit

Don't like it, looks like a training top. I hope Kerry aren't playing in their own away strip as there will be a colour clash. Would prefer red or white myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Don't like it, looks like a training top. I hope Kerry aren't playing in their own away strip as there will be a colour clash. Would prefer red or white myself.

Not mad on it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I think it's nice myself. Might treat myself to one...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Who thought luminous green and black would be a good combination for a Mayo jersey?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Liking the new alternative jersey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

That jersey is lolbad.

Liam McHale will feature on the opening episode of the new Laochra Gael series,broadcasting next Tuesday at 8 on TG4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Not wild about that jersey either.
    As others have said a bit like a training top.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

If they hammer the sh1te out of Kerry youz lads will love them ganseys.
    Good chance of winning too as Deegan is a fair enough ref.
    It has to be noted that Reilly hasn't got any game in either Div 1 or 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

wackokid wrote: »
    If they hammer the sh1te out of Kerry youz lads will love them ganseys.
    Good chance of winning too as Deegan is a fair enough ref.
    It has to be noted that Reilly hasn't got any game in either Div 1 or 2.

Reilly was not responsible for Mayo losing their replay. He made at least two appalling decisions but that Mayo team had a track record of conceding big leads and sucker punch goals. Tom Cuniffe already looked tired when he picked up sub Barry John Keane and Donaghy was always going to cause problems for Henelly and Cafferky on the square.

Still though,... one referee who should not be let anywhere near an important game again for some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Hospital pass to Regan. Hope he's OK after that. Landed very badly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

statto25 wrote: »
    Hospital pass to Regan. Hope he's OK after that. Landed very badly.
    Bad fall alright . I hope he is alright. I don't think it was any bodies fault.

Great going here for Mayo. Jason Doherty is having a super game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Keith Higgins first game back great defending m has had two good counterattacks. Anyways to get him further up the pitch around half backline?
    Freezer got a great goal. David Moran difficult for us as always. But I suppose he is probably best fielding midfielder in the game. Conroy playing well have to give credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Will mayo ever resort toputting men behind the ball when we have a big lead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Great to get 2pts in the bag away from home in what is a tough league.

Good to see Kevin Keane get MOTM from TG4.

More of the same next week please.

Pity Regan was injured so early on, hope its not serious but it looked bad the way he landed.

Some great performances out there today.We have an excellent panel of players. Nothing I seen today though tells me that Mayo will be any different to any other year. I cannot for the life of me understand how we can't look after a lead when we have it. But for a piece of magic against the run of play from McLoughlin, Kerry could have easily won that game. They were eating into the lead all the time and had it down to three points. Giving away the ball then needlessly when we could have played keep ball. A good performance but we still not cute enough..

Mighty start to the campaign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Mayo's All-Ireland to lose this year..;)

• Advertisement

Strong start to the season. Keane was excellent today, as were Donie Vaughan and Jason Doherty. Micky Conroy put in a good shift after coming on. Good to see the team didn't blink when Kerry came at them in the second half. Great start for Noel and Pat, Mayo are in for a good season if they can keep and improve on this standard.

Devastating news for Regan. Rumours of broken collarbone:( Such a promising start for the lad too

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Devastating news for Regan. Rumours of broken collarbone:( Such a promising start for the lad too

He is lucky if that's what it is, was some tumble

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    He is lucky if that's what it is, was some tumble

True but still will be a lengthy lay-off. More or less the end of his league campaign anyhow. Been unlucky with injuries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Regan being treated for broken collarbone (as the folks above mentioned) and concussion. Well wishes to the lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Some of Kerry's play today warranted more than yellow cards. There was a few incidences of the ball not being in possession yets the fists kept coming in.
    Tommy Walsh should be watched as I can't see him lasting a full league without a red card.
    Far play to Aiden coming in to steady the ship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Congrats lads. Great Mayo crowd in Killarney.

Ye were dominant and fully deserving of your 7 point victory.

Was very worried about Regan considering the land he got. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Your 6 backs played very well, with only Barry John having an impact for us up front. Kevin Keane is a fine big man, and Higgins is a supreme game reader.

Good subs turned the tide, with Aidan coming on and Micky Conroy getting 3 nice points. Kevin McLoughlin, Doherty and Galagher were a bit quiet, but McLoughlins goal was tremendous, and Doherty kicked 2 monster frees. So they made a big impact at vital stages.

Well done and best of luck between now and August. We'll see after that :p

Great to get the win down in the Kingdom.Terrible news re young Evan Regan if he's broken his collarbone as reported.He'd just scored a lovely point.

As already mentioned we're going to have to put in place a system to protect leads as again until Kevin McLaughlin scored his cracking goal it appeared quite likely that Kerry would reel us in.

Keith Higgins was his imperious self,great credit Kevin Keane at full back...hopefully he'll carry this sort of form forward,ditto Chris Barrett.

Donal Vaughan and Seamus O Shea held their own against the excellent David Moran and latterly Tommy Walsh who also won some great clean ball when introduced.The tide after half time turned towards Kerry before Kevin Mc's goal and Walsh's departure.Aidan O Shea's introduction definitely helped to steady the ship.

Kevin Mc mixed the good with the bad,great scores and poor wides.Michael Conroy did a great job after his introduction alongside Jason Doherty.Disappointing day for Adam Gallagher,the game seemed to pass him by.Diarmuid O Connor's score alone was worth the admission fee.

Thought Maurice Deegan had a decent,even handed game,plenty of subliminal niggle on both sides.As mentioned he failed to give a clearcut penalty to Mayo in the second half.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Great win, I know it was a game we had to earmark for a win due to Kerrys lack of training and only back from holiday and a lot of players out, but still had to go there and win it. Great to see the performance of the young lads.
    Thought Keane, Conroy and Ronaldson stood out and Doc, McLoughs, Vaughan were strong and steady.
    The need to change it at midfield was obvious and was rectified quickly.

Vastly improved on the last day out which was good to see also, the lads heads seem to be in the right place and important for the new management team to get off to a good start.

Watched McStay on the Sunday League review and he was very complimentary which was great to see, I'm sure he is still possibly annoyed with all that went on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Some of Kerry's play today warranted more than yellow cards. There was a few incidences of the ball not being in possession yets the fists kept coming in.
    Tommy Walsh should be watched as I can't see him lasting a full league without a red card.

Without wanting to start an argument, what sort of nonsense is that bit in bold? Any player who tackles aggresively should be watched? He should be watched alright..watched fielding high ball like the 3 kickouts he caught today.

Anyway, well done to Mayo. Fully deserved winners today. Good start for new management. The intensity of the tackling and work-rate by Mayo today was a great sign of any squad at any time of the year and some of the scores weren't half bad either. The last score that Diarmuid O'Connor kicked was a peach for example.

Awful land that young Regan got..could have been a very serious injury. Good to hear he has a (relatively) minor injury only.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Without wanting to start an argument, what sort of nonsense is that bit in bold? Any player who tackles aggresively should be watched? He should be watched alright..watched fielding high ball like the 3 kickouts he caught today.

Anyway, well done to Mayo. Fully deserved winners today. Good start for new management. The intensity of the tackling and work-rate by Mayo today was a great sign of any squad at any time of the year and some of the scores weren't half bad either. The last score that Diarmuid O'Connor kicked was a peach for example.

Awful land that young Regan got..could have been a very serious injury. Good to hear he has a (relatively) minor injury only.

He punched Vaughan off the ball. That what he was on about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Thanks yop.
    The sort of nonsense that Kerry keep getting away with. Fitzmaurice is building a physically strong team who are well capable of overstepping the mark.
    I hope it doesn't go unnoticed when it really matters.

Non black cards either yesterday. Some of the off the ball stuff would have fitted in with the Super Bowl.

Thanks yop.
    The sort of nonsense that Kerry keep getting away with. Fitzmaurice is building a physically strong team who are well capable of overstepping the mark.

Non black cards either yesterday. Some of the off the ball stuff would have fitted in with the Super Bowl.

It was happening in any of the games I saw over the weekend. Moran should have got the line also, but we won so doesn't overly bother me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

completely besides the point. but does anyone know how much Kevin Keane can bench press. Commentators on the radio yesterday said something huge, just looking to see if it could be validated...

Squatman wrote: »
    completely besides the point. but does anyone know how much Kevin Keane can bench press. Commentators on the radio yesterday said something huge, just looking to see if it could be validated...
    I would like to know how tall he is.

I like my fullbacks both good and big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Thanks yop.

:D

The words Chip and Shoulder come to mind.

Did u go to Supermacs after the game this time?

I seen Mayo - Kerry, Donegal - Derry and some of Cork - Dublin.
    The following were common for all teams:
    1. Dragging players as they go by
    2. If a player wins a free they are almost always delayed. In particular if there are several defenders around, referees have gotten a bit lazy on the point of bringing forward the ball.
    3. Remonstrating in an aggressive manner with the referee (way overstepped in the Donegal - Derry game).
    However in that game also to my mind there was clear simulation by Michael Murphy to win a penalty. It would have been a harsh free out the field (In my view it wasn't even a free). Murphy under his own initiative deliberately falls backwards dramatically spreading his hands up in the air (the full back was actually supporting Murphys body weight forward and prevented Murphy collapsing completely) . Bear in mind the size and power of Murphy. A full back is allowed to have some body contact with his arm if he is attempting to punch away the ball.
    Refs need to start being vigilant for simulation as it's a yellow card offence.

blinding wrote: »
    I would like to know how tall he is.

I like my fullbacks both good and big.
    Well Mid West commentators/Mayo news have said previously he has the biggest bench press on the Mayo team. You can assume something like 120 kg would be typical for best bench on a county team.
    Keane is listed as 6 foot in Mayo GAA Pen pics. He's not overly tall but he has a decent leap.

Well Mid West commentators/Mayo news have said previously he has the biggest bench press on the Mayo team. You can assume something like 120 kg would be typical for best bench on a county team.
    Keane is listed as 6 foot in Mayo GAA Pen pics. He's not overly tall but he has a decent leap.
    Is he a small six foot or a big six foot;)

Even 30/40 years ago six foot would be considered big.

Nowadays for a full back six foot would almost be considered small for a full back.

Sometimes a guy can overcome some drawbacks with other attributes.

He is 6ft indeed, he has come off the weights program and told to bulk down, but he is still a big unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 tml73

Has anyone manged to get both Cairde and Croke Park season tickets in the same seating group? I get a message saying the products do not match. Also how long does normally take for the attendance to be updated? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

tml73 wrote: »
    Has anyone manged to get both Cairde and Croke Park season tickets in the same seating group? I get a message saying the products do not match. Also how long does normally take for the attendance to be updated? Thanks.

That means the e-mail address and season ticket account number are not matching. The season ticket account number is the 6 digit under the crest on the front of the card. We have full instructions on how to set them up on our website here; http://mayoclub51.com/members/club-51-seating-groups/

We would recommend setting up the seating group first on the Croke Park season ticket and then adding the Cairde season ticket to the seating group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

Yeah, Deegan let a very physical game play out and Kerry have always had the fear laidir approach to the game but I still don't think anyone got away with too much. He's a bit old school, Deegan but it was an unbelievable contest.

Mayo went out intent on playing the long ball and proceeded to kick spades of posession away. There are problems there if you're relying on Seamus O'Shea to distribute the ball. Maybe that's where Andy Moran could play a part in a quarterback role. You got to have the skills.

midwest commentators said he can bench 150kg, and im calling shenanigans...

midwest commentators said he can bench 150kg, and im calling shenanigans...

Why? I can bench 100kg and I am not training any where to their level or taking care of what I eat like these guys.

Stand beside Kevin when you get a chance and see the shoulders on the lad. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

That means the e-mail address and season ticket account number are not matching. The season ticket account number is the 6 digit under the crest on the front of the card. We have full instructions on how to set them up on our website here; http://mayoclub51.com/members/club-51-seating-groups/

We would recommend setting up the seating group first on the Croke Park season ticket and then adding the Cairde season ticket to the seating group.

I have tried that this morning as well and get the same message. But ive checked and the emails and the account numbers are correct. Is it possible that you cant combine cairde and croke park season tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

jj72 wrote: »
    I have tried that this morning as well and get the same message. But ive checked and the emails and the account numbers are correct. Is it possible that you cant combine cairde and croke park season tickets?

You should have no problem. Cairde are now being run under the Croke Park season ticket this year and are under the same T&C's. Might be no harm to fire off an e-mail to Liz there in the season ticket office. They may be having problems with some accounts.

yop wrote: »
    Why? I can bench 100kg and I am not training any where to their level or taking care of what I eat like these guys.

Stand beside Kevin when you get a chance and see the shoulders on the lad. ;)

Thats because 100kg is not a lot of weight. i can bench 150kg, after years of training, and let me tell you, there is not a hope in hell that he is capable of benching that sorta weight. and, fwiw broad shoulders does not mean huge strength ;) right back atcha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Great two points yesterday to get us up and running. Impressive showing from the lads.

Conroy showing exactly what he's capable of.
    Doherty continuing his form from last year, gets through an awful lot of work.
    Freeman and Kev Mc not at their best but still came up with the goods.
    Kevin Keane is now on the road to redemption in a Mayo jersey. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Durcan done well, Regan and Gallagher will get more chances.

With Cillian, Boyler and AOS all to come back into the 15 in the coming weeks, we look to be in good shape.

New Jersey looks very good to I have to say. All blacks mentality yesterday with some Mayo style thrown in for good measure.
    Thats because 100kg is not a lot of weight. i can bench 150kg, after years of training, and let me tell you, there is not a hope in hell that he is capable of benching that sorta weight. and, fwiw broad shoulders does not mean huge strength ;) right back atcha

Sure Aidan O'Shea can lift a truck, seen it myself.

What if Keane started out untrained stronger than you? A strong, trained club player is well capable of 120kg one rep. Wouldn't be beyond the bounds he could do 150kg. I think it's unlikely, but possible. Anyways we're into I know a guy from Toomevara who can bench 160 kg at this point.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement