Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Squatman wrote: »
    Thats because 100kg is not a lot of weight. i can bench 150kg, after years of training, and let me tell you, there is not a hope in hell that he is capable of benching that sorta weight. and, fwiw broad shoulders does not mean huge strength ;) right back atcha

I don't weight train, so when I don't 100kg is plenty and loads in my book to be honest.
    If you know the guy personally then you can ask him. We're hardly on my co*ck is bigger than yours thread here, if they lad can then he can.

What ever atacha is...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

What if Keane started out untrained stronger than you? A strong, trained club player is well capable of 120kg one rep. Wouldn't be beyond the bounds he could do 150kg. I think it's unlikely, but possible. Anyways we're into I know a guy from Toomevara who can bench 160 kg at this point.

Fup off, I thought he was on 200kg now, since he trained for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Thats because 100kg is not a lot of weight. i can bench 150kg, after years of training, and let me tell you, there is not a hope in hell that he is capable of benching that sorta weight. and, fwiw broad shoulders does not mean huge strength ;) right back atcha

Someone's ego is getting the better of them today.

You can bench 150kg, but there is no way that Kevin Keane could do it. A well-conditioned intercounty footballer, training 3/4 nights a week, with a gym schedule in place for the past number of years.

April fool article, so this fake lad can lift 170kg, so assuming that Kevin can lift close to that.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19655:gentle-giant-to-help-mayo-win-sam&catid=14&Itemid=100008

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

completely besides the point. but does anyone know how much Kevin Keane can bench press. Commentators on the radio yesterday said something huge, just looking to see if it could be validated...

Yes its completely besides the point.!!
    Would he not be better off spending his time plotting a way to prevent Donaghy catching a ball over his head.
    This attitude is the malaise in Gaelic Football, judging players by how much they can bench press while ignoring a basic skill like fielding a ball.
    Ever hear a Kerry of Kilkenny fan bragging about how much Gooch or Shefflin can bench press.?? You certainly wont, and that why they have a bag of AI medals between them.;)

FYI that guy called 'The Beast' of Seattle Seahawks can bench press over 200 kgs because he is paid around 10 million dollars a year to simply bulldoze whatever is in front of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

BPKS wrote: »
    :D

The words Chip and Shoulder come to mind.

Did u go to Supermacs after the game this time?

Haha. Had a burger too with the finest Kerry beef. Seriously . Attack the post not the poster. I stand by all comments . Even went to have a look at the Kerry forum.
    Guess what they were giving out about puke football from 2003. Surrounding a player with the ball. Guess Kerry didn't win in 2003.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Ask him yourself, he's on Twitter, @kevkeane3

Keith Higgins can bench 300kg, sure he's been carrying the defence for years :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

What if Keane started out untrained stronger than you? A strong, trained club player is well capable of 120kg one rep. Wouldn't be beyond the bounds he could do 150kg. I think it's unlikely, but possible. Anyways we're into I know a guy from Toomevara who can bench 160 kg at this point.

the difference between 120 and 150 is night and day. a 150kg bench press would be close to 2x bodyweight for kevin, and that my friends is world class in the drug free powerlifting ranks. Im not saying its impossible. there are all sorts of physical anomalies that would help a person bench much more than the same weight person under the same regime. Such as length of arms, flexibility of back, size of chest, set up/form etc. so whilst it is possible for a light person to be that strong, it really is the exception, and in this case, i just dont believe it.. but yea, i heard of this guy from toom too... serious guy

yop wrote: »
    April fool article, so this fake lad can lift 170kg, so assuming that Kevin can lift close to that.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19655:gentle-giant-to-help-mayo-win-sam&catid=14&Itemid=100008

yea, you can definitely assume that an april fools prank is factual. Good man.:pac:

• Advertisement

washman3 wrote: »
    Yes its completely besides the point.!!
    Would he not be better off spending his time plotting a way to prevent Donaghy catching a ball over his head.
    This attitude is the malaise in Gaelic Football, judging players by how much they can bench press while ignoring a basic skill like fielding a ball.
    Ever hear a Kerry of Kilkenny fan bragging about how much Gooch or Shefflin can bench press.?? You certainly wont, and that why they have a bag of AI medals between them.;)

FYI that guy called 'The Beast' of Seattle Seahawks can bench press over 200 kgs because he is paid around 10 million dollars a year to simply bulldoze whatever is in front of him.
    good to know, that this guy in a sport thats rife with doping, can bench press a heavyish amount:D. Also, FYI Gooch would be broken under an empty barbell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

good to know, that this guy in a sport thats rife with doping, can bench press a heavyish amount:D. Also, FYI Gooch would be broken under an empty barbell

Gooch lifts the only thing that matters... Sam Maguire.

yea, you can definitely assume that an april fools prank is factual. Good man.:pac:

Wow, would never have guessed, anyway as said he is on twitter, tweet him there. Looks like someone has a complex about Mr Keane ;)

Regardless, this is a thread about Mayo football, not about a standard GAA player been able to lift the same as a lad who spends all his training at the same.

And he would be the first to admit it..;)
    But he would also give KK the complete run-around on a GAA pitch, where it matters most.
    BTW didn't Paul Murphy put Aidan O'Shea 5 yards back on his arse in last years semi. That's probably the smallest player in inter-county football.
    So much for the 'Mayo Benchpress'..!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

And he would be the first to admit it..;)
    But he would also give KK the complete run-around on a GAA pitch, where it matters most.
    BTW didn't Paul Murphy put Aidan O'Shea 5 yards back on his arse in last years semi. That's probably the smallest player in inter-county football.
    So much for the 'Mayo Benchpress'..!!!

Think you Might be on about Mark Griffin or Johnny Buckly. Both made big hits on O'Shea in the semi final replay. Both would be fairly solid men.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Think you Might be on about Mark Griffin or Johnny Buckly. Both made big hits on O'Shea in the semi final replay. Both would be fairly solid men.
    I believe it was the Kerry centre back (name escapes me) who knocked him late in the game but OShea was not fully on balance.
    Anyone can knock anyone depending on how yer balance is. But let's not fool ourselves into thinking a Paul Murphy or Johnny Buckley has a hope of knocking a balanced on their feet Aidan OShea or Michael Murphy type.

• Advertisement

Think your right, that was the game he said he was concussed in and can't remember sections of it.
    When you look at Sexton missing months because of consecutive concussion, there is some difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Gooch lifts the only thing that matters... Sam Maguire.

Comeback quote of the year:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

You should have no problem. Cairde are now being run under the Croke Park season ticket this year and are under the same T&C's. Might be no harm to fire off an e-mail to Liz there in the season ticket office. They may be having problems with some accounts.

Just to update ye, I emailed season tickets yesterday and have just heard back that the Cairde Maigheo and Croke Park tickets cant be put together in seating groups! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 30 tml73

jj72 wrote: »
    Just to update ye, I emailed season tickets yesterday and have just heard back that the Cairde Maigheo and Croke Park tickets cant be put together in seating groups! :mad:

Thanks for the update JJ72

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Lads is there anyway of watching Mayo v Kerry 2014 games again? With the RTE commentary? Or even the highlights?

Shocking enough that it cant be found anywhere.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Lads is there anyway of watching Mayo v Kerry 2014 games again? With the RTE commentary? Or even the highlights?

Shocking enough that it cant be found anywhere.....

Its on the Sam 2014 official DVD.

You can buy it at Centra, SuperValu, HMV etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Its on the Sam 2014 official DVD.

You can buy it at Centra, SuperValu, HMV etc.

Really? Is that full game or highlights?

Thats brilliant cheers!

Really? Is that full game or highlights?

Thats brilliant cheers!

Full SF replay and final, highlights of other games

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Best Players Not to Win an All-Ireland since 2000

http://www.punditarena.com/uncategorized/scremin/gaelic-football-best-players-win-ireland-since-2000/ Chrome Link

3 Mayo players

Keith Higgins,Jimmy Nallen,Kieran McDonald

No Alan Dillon or Conor Mortimer....

No John Galvin,Paul Barden,Paddy Bradley,Sean Marty Lockhart,Michael Meehan,Ciaran Whelan,Brendan Devenney

seligehgit wrote: »
    Best Players Not to Win an All-Ireland since 2000

http://www.punditarena.com/uncategorized/scremin/gaelic-football-best-players-win-ireland-since-2000/ Chrome Link

3 Mayo players

Keith Higgins,Jimmy Nallen,Kieran McDonald

No Alan Dillon or Conor Mortimer....

No John Galvin,Paul Barden,Paddy Bradley,Sean Marty Lockhart,Michael Meehan,Ciaran Whelan,Brendan Devenney

Probably picked by the same clowns that pick the all-stars.
    John Galvin even failed to win an all-star, an incredible insult,considering he lorded midfield for over 10 years.
    At least every other player mentioned has an all-star. Can any poster confirm this.?

Probably picked by the same clowns that pick the all-stars.
    John Galvin even failed to win an all-star, an incredible insult,considering he lorded midfield for over 10 years.
    At least every other player mentioned has an all-star. Can any poster confirm this.?
    Fairly hard to argue with the picks they do have though?
    Do you pick Paddy Bradley ahead of Johnny Doyle in the corner.
    Strange team anyways, with Benny Coulter at half forward and Johnny Doyle in the corner.
    Bradley is probably the most impactful forward in the game given that he played on a Derry team that were perennial strugglers in a low scoring Ulster province.
    Per game Bradley has one of the highest scoring averages.
    4.9 points per game across 44 games. That's even higher than Colm Cooper.
    He also I would say have the highest percentage of games where he was the unarguable best player on the pitch i.e. the biggest impact to the scoreboard includings scores and assists.

Team for Sunday's game against Tyrone:
    1. David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites
    2. Michael Hall - Breaffy
    3. Kevin Keane - Westport
    4. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis (Capt.)
    5. Lee Keegan - Westport
    6. Stephen Coen - Hollymount/Carramore
    7. Colm Boyle - Davitts
    8. Seamus O'Shea - Breaffy
    9. Donal Vaughan - Ballinrobe
    10.Diarmuid O'Connor - Ballintubber
    11.Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
    12.Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
    13.Michael Conroy - Davitts
    14.Alan Freeman - Aghamore
    15.Mark Ronaldson - Shrule/Glencorrib

Stephen Coen moves into the half backs, his teammate in the minors gets his league debut, O'Connor in for Evan Regan and Michael Conroy is rewarded for his sterling performance in last week's game. It will be interesting to see the battle between Kevin Keane and Sean Cavanagh, will he be able to build on last week's man of the match performance?

Overall it's a good mix between the more established players and the new blood. This is a game we should be coming away from with a win, if so we are on our way to maintaining Division 1 at the very least.

Good to see Clarkey back also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Team for Sunday's game against Tyrone:

Stephen Coen moves into the half backs, his teammate in the minors gets his league debut, O'Connor in for Evan Regan and Michael Conroy is rewarded for his sterling performance in last week's game. It will be interesting to see the battle between Kevin Keane and Sean Cavanagh, will he be able to build on last week's man of the match performance?

Overall it's a good mix between the more established players and the new blood. This is a game we should be coming away from with a win, if so we are on our way to maintaining Division 1 at the very least.

Good to see Clarkey back also.

Good to see Clarke alright, as well as Colm Boyle.

No sign of Cillian, think he had a college game during the week so that might be the reason for his absence?

Nice to have Conroy starting again, he was rumoured to be carrying a knock. He needs another good performance like last week to keep his form going.

Big opportunities for Hall and Diarmud O'C as well as Ronaldson and Coen - who did okay in Killarney.

I'd imagine we will see Cillian and AOS introduced early in the second half.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Good to see Clarke alright, as well as Colm Boyle.

No sign of Cillian, think he had a college game during the week so that might be the reason for his absence?

Nice to have Conroy starting again, he was rumoured to be carrying a knock. He needs another good performance like last week to keep his form going.

Big opportunities for Hall and Diarmud O'C as well as Ronaldson and Coen - who did okay in Killarney.

I'd imagine we will see Cillian and AOS introduced early in the second half.

Correct, Cillian was playing for Jordanstown against DCU, managed one point from a free. DCU won after two goals from a young Roscommon player. Wouldn't be surprised if he was let off for the game, don't want him getting burned out too soon. It's an opportunity for other young forwards to get a run out, Adam Gallagher comes to mind, he didn't have a great game last week but in fairness he's had a long lay-off since the league last year. Ronaldson had an OK game I thought, didn't make a huge impression on the scoreboard but he fought well in fairness. It's great to see two minors from the class of '13 but you'd have to wonder is there any other players they could be blooding, Shairoze Akram comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Bit soon for Shairoze Akram yet still minor for another year.

• Advertisement

Didn't realize Sharoize Akram is minor again. I thought himself and Brian Reape was a brilliant combination.
    Prospects from U21s:
    TJ Byrne - big powerful player who can take a score or equally well lay on a score for others. Will be a very powerful player in one year.
    Fionan Duffy - This lad is aggressive n made of steel. Plays close to goal.
    Brian Reape - He shoots .. he scores goals. Ridiculously good at shooting for goals. Check out his belter against Armagh.
    Conor Loftus - had injuries. I like how he can move with the ball. Looks a useful half forward.
    Of course we have Regan/Adam Gallagher/Conor OShea of recent fringe players. Going to be some serious pressure on places up front over next few years. Remember the days when we genuinely only had James Horan from play.

Good to see the backs being mixed up a bit.
    Its an area that needed to be refreshed after last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Is the game definitely going ahead? Fog is atrocious at the moment up around McHale Park.

Is the game definitely going ahead? Fog is atrocious at the moment up around McHale Park.
    It looks fairly clear now so is going ahead

It looks fairly clear now so is going ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Was confirmed that it will go ahead only a short time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Was confirmed that it will go ahead only a short time ago.

No fog on the tele here, it must have lifted quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    No fog on the tele here, it must have lifted quickly

Could not see 10 yards ahead all the way down then clear in Cbar thank god

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

km79 wrote: »
    Could not see 10 yards ahead all the way down then clear in Cbar thank god

It looks chilly down there!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    It looks chilly down there!!

Baltic !

We're lacking running power today against a team with a mass defence and a ref very slow to give us frees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Shanee.

Tyrone have everyone behind the ball and mayo cant seem to break them down kicking from crazy positions. Hopefully improve in second half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Should that goal have stood?

From the initial long ball its definitely not a square ball but after the ball broke O'Connor was in the square before the ball was kicked against the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Was cillian o Connor just booked for getting fouled off the ball twice?

The 2 yellow cards rule in the gaa is the most pathetic aspect of the General officiating and that's saying something

Kinsella is awful today. Not giving us any scoreable frees. Allowed Tyrone men dive on ball/slide tackle the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Shocking wides from Mayo today.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Kinsella is awful today. Not giving us any scoreable frees. Allowed Tyrone men dive on ball/slide tackle the ball.

What game were you watching?

Tyrone rock solid in defence. Frustrated us from the get go. Poor shot selection and some of the younger players foregoing shots and passing the ball off. Fitness probably wasn't up to it, you need runners all over the field if you're going to break down that kind of defence. 1-3 from play won't win you any games.

Still, I think Tyrone have beaten us 5 games in a row in the league. Best to have these kind of questions asked of us at this stage. Will need some serious work done in training as Monaghan and Donegal will serve up similar tactics.

No answer to the massed defense.

Tyrone had everyone inside their 40 regularly when Mayo were on the ball.

Persisted with short kick out even though it allowed Tyrone to filter back.

They were unlucky also, Conroy's shot cleared off the line early, and Aidan's rasper of s shot was straight at Morgan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Tyrone rock solid in defence. Frustrated us from the get go. Poor shot selection and some of the younger players foregoing shots and passing the ball off. Fitness probably wasn't up to it, you need runners all over the field if you're going to break down that kind of defence. 1-3 from play won't win you any games.

Still, I think Tyrone have beaten us 5 games in a row in the league. Best to have these kind of questions asked of us at this stage. Will need some serious work done in training as Monaghan and Donegal will serve up similar tactics.

Big men needed to play beside the square to combat them tactics. AOS or Barry Moran needed in there beside Freeman to win high ball or to break it down.

We were clueless playing side way passes all game and trying to walk it in. That being said, if the shooting was anyway decent we probably would have won it.
    Very poor game overall. A much needed break to regroup before Monaghan.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement