Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Can't really fathom the selection of both Clarke and Parsons, particularly the latter.

Adding a couple of players who haven't played at this level in ages to an already cold team simply does not compute.

They must be flying in training to merit a place in the first 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Can't really fathom the selection of both Clarke and Parsons, particularly the latter.

Adding a couple of players who haven't played at this level in ages to an already cold team simply does not compute.

Tom Parsons has been excellent in any game I've seen him in for the past year in a Mayo jersey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,258 ✭✭✭✭km79

Barlett wrote: »
    Tom Parsons has been excellent in any game I've seen him in for the past year in a Mayo jersey

he brings MUCH needed mobility to the midfield area and allows Aidan to move slighlty further up the pitch too. Barry Moran in reserve going well too.
    Really not sure about Andy though but if he has got the yard of pace back ( very very unlikely ) then we have a new forward basically!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I think that's harsh. Parsons by all accounts is going well at the minute. As for Clarke, great servant who has never let us down and would be my number 1 over Hennelly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Clarke is a safer pair of hands than Hennelly. I'm not knocking Hennelly, he's a good keeper and probably more likely to pull out a spectacular stop in a game. The last time he got dropped he walked away though, hopefully he sticks it out this time. Clarke's all round game from taking high balls to kick outs is better than Hennelly's.

For me, up to now, Parsons has never done enough of the physical stuff to win a place on the team. Loads of ability but has always reminded me of your average Galway player of the last 10 years, skillful but not near tough enough for top level intercounty. If he has added the hardness to his game he could do really well for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

I thought hennly picked up a knock in a breaffy game a few weeks back he didn't play last weekend when breaffy got beat.
    Much prefer Clark to be honest.
    I'd prob start dillion and have moran come in as enpacked sub rather than the other way around.
    Parsons needs a big game to moorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

naughto wrote: »
    I thought hennly picked up a knock in a breaffy game a few weeks back he didn't play last weekend when breaffy got beat.
    Much prefer Clark to be honest.
    I'd prob start dillion and have moran come in as enpacked sub rather than the other way around.
    Parsons needs a big game to moorrow.

Henelley has a more accurate restart, Clarke kicks long but hangs it up where RH has a more precise kick. Not much between them as net minders but Clarke physical presence is an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Rumour going round that Cora Staunton is in for Cillian O Conner!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

crusier wrote: »
    Rumour going round that Cora Staunton is in for Cillian O Conner!

Now now the Galway lads might need Cora more than ourselves! ;)May the best team win, fantastic day here in Salthill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Galway can give it a go because they are not expected to win.

This could give them a freedom that could get a performance out of them.

• Advertisement

looking at all ireland odds mayo are 8\1
    will be shorter if they win today
    but Cillian is 16\1 to be POTY and if mayo win it a mayo player will certainly be POTY
    Cillian ,A o Shea and to a lesser extent Higgins are the media darlings so I'd imagine it would be one of them
    AOS is 25\1
    Higgins 50\1
    I'm tempted to back one of those instead of mayo outright.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

blinding wrote: »
    Galway can give it a go because they are not expected to win.

This could give them a freedom that could get a performance out of them.

The more I think of it the more I am worried that this could be the day that we realize that this squad are out of gas.

I'll not be too upset if it is, a run through the qualifiers, regardless of how far they get, may do them some good if it introduces a few new players, setups etc.
    An extended league you could call it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Stand half full so loads of seats still available. Traffic cat. Park at lower tailors hill and walk, quickly :-)

mayo by 6

Worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Is it just me or is there a bit of an anti Mayo bias on RTE? If you did not know you would have thought we lost that game watching the summing up with Pat and Joe. Marty could barely hide his "love" for Galway... and Tommy was loving when Galway were on the up. Eff them.... UP MAYO!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Great win by the Green and Red. Handled Galway more than adequately. Still have a few issues to solve. The full-back line did'nt inspire confidence. Otherwise a competent performance imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Great win by the Green and Red. Handled Galway more than adequately. Still have a few issues to solve. The full-back line did'nt inspire confidence. Otherwise a competent performance imo.

Lot of issues to solve very very vulnerable when ran at directly. Kicked away an awfull lot of ball. First outing in 11 weeks so that must be taken into account but that performance will not do the job against Rosscommon imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Kalyke wrote: »
    Is it just me or is there a bit of an anti Mayo bias on RTE? If you did not know you would have thought we lost that game watching the summing up with Pat and Joe. Marty could barely hide his "love" for Galway... and Tommy was loving when Galway were on the up. Eff them.... UP MAYO!!

That seems to be a common think for RTE, I think they love Galway as they are always seen as a 'good footballing side with good forwards' despite little or no evidence of this in recent times.

That seems to be a common think for RTE, I think they love Galway as they are always seen as a 'good footballing side with good forwards' despite little or no evidence of this in recent times.

1998 and 2001

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

To put things into perspective, Galway only just survived relegation into Division 3 this year.

Mayo were poor. There were long moments of AWOL players in that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Kalyke wrote: »

I think thats just being up for the underdog in fairness.

Mayo were never in danger in that game so i wouldn't judge them too harshly on their supposed deficiencies. Still there with the big boys for me.

Mayo were certainly Rusty (Crazy how long we have had to wait)

Gave up Goal chances too easy. It could have been 4.

crusier wrote: »
    1998 and 2001

Recent?

Recent?

Well compared to 1951 its pretty recent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Good work out. Same issues still there but at least they looked alot sharper fitness wise (especially in 2nd half) in comparison to the league. Savage options in the middle third. But a tonne of work to reach the heights of 2013 again. Summer still young.

Btw Pearse Stadium is a great stadium in a grand setting. But ****ing hell, no way should there be any game played there with the ridiculous traffic congestion on course to Salthill. Only gonna get worse too unfortunately

any word on morans injury? or Dillon ?
    o shea hopefully ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

It looked like a hamstring for dillion don't no what's the story with moran

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Happy with the win and to move on. Plenty of rustiness and plenty of questions. Can't see how comer stayed on the pitch, looking at the highlights he was at the heart and/or cause of most of the rows, big man hitting McLoughlin from behind and dragging Keegan. He can enjoy his lemon tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Good work out. Same issues still there but at least they looked alot sharper fitness wise (especially in 2nd half) in comparison to the league. Savage options in the middle third. But a tonne of work to reach the heights of 2013 again. Summer still young.

Btw Pearse Stadium is a great stadium in a grand setting. But ****ing hell, no way should there be any game played there with the ridiculous traffic congestion on course to Salthill. Only gonna get worse too unfortunately

Completely agree on Pearse stadium, but why will it get worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

yop wrote: »
    Happy with the win and to move on. Plenty of rustiness and plenty of questions. Can't see how comer stayed on the pitch, looking at the highlights he was at the heart and/or cause of most of the rows, big man hitting McLoughlin from behind and dragging Keegan. He can enjoy his lemon tonight.

I dont remember this incident - what stage of the match was it at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

See O'Se's elbow on him? Goalie's thump? Was singled out to day by Mayo players, unquestionably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,966 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Happy with the win and to move on. Plenty of rustiness and plenty of questions.

Hopefully just rust but I'm afeared it's a team that's gone to the well once too often. Remember what we did to Galway two years ago. Still confident of beating Ros/Sligo but can see use losing to someone like Kildare or Derry in the quarters...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

MfMan wrote: »
    See O'Se's elbow on him? Goalie's thump? Was singled out to day by Mayo players, unquestionably.

Well deserved for the thuggish antics by him throughout the entire game:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Completely agree on Pearse stadium, but why will it get worse?

Construction of the proposed Galway harbour development.

• Advertisement

Christ! Come early, such bull**** there are always the tits who want to arrive last minute and park at the gate and then get a clear run home to be in the pub in ballina for the Sunday game, use your ****ing head, great ground , great city, half of Mayo makes a living out of it spare me the whing!!

Fowler87 wrote: »

Why doesn't t
    Galway county council should some sort of Park and Free bus system.

If thèse matches are to be played where parking is a problem then the Council must step in and Fix the Problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Why doesn't t

If thèse matches are to be played where parking is a problem then the Council must step in and Fix the Problem.

There was a park and ride from the airport yesterday but it was a disaster. We waited nearly 2 hours (6-7.45) for the return bus. Never again:(

cocoman wrote: »
    There was a park and ride from the airport yesterday but it was a disaster. We waited nearly 2 hours (6-7.45) for the return bus. Never again:(
    Thats terrible and certainly won't encourage anyone to try using it again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I dont remember this incident - what stage of the match was it at?

It was showing on Sunday Game where they were highlighting the various "thuggish" parts of the game, Comer was in each and every one of them.
    Galway themselves were a major factor in the loss of the game with their over aggressive approach.

Nice place to have a game but shocking logistically. Also not one tap working in the mens toilets and none of the toilets would flush. This isn't acceptable in modern day stadiums. Also asking people to walk around 3/4 of the stadium to get to the season ticket stile is daft. We went down along the side pitch 2 years ago.
    Good atmosphere though and great weather.

• Advertisement

Why doesn't t

I'm amazed adequate park and ride wasn't a prerequisite in the planning application when the stadium was being upgraded.

Getting 20,000+ people in and out of what is basically a cul de sac was always going to be a disaster without proper park and ride.

I'm amazed adequate park and ride wasn't a prerequisite in the planning application when the stadium was being upgraded.

Getting 20,000+ people in and out of what is basically a cul de sac was always going to be a disaster without proper park and ride.
    Typical of County Councils and Politicians in Ireland :Get well Paid and take a big Pension and do nothing.

What you have said would be the bare minimum that you would expect.

When you have people come to your area you want them to have a positive/enjoyable experience so that they may return and spend some money but this is beyond the Dumbos that Plan or the Politicians.

Typical of County Councils and Politicians in Ireland :Get well Paid and take a big Pension and do nothing.

What you have said would be the bare minimum that you would expect.

When you have people come to your area you want them to have a positive/enjoyable experience so that they may return and spend some money but this is beyond the Dumbos that Plan or the Politicians.

Very true, the lack of traffic management was appauling and no thought or care was given to fans from either side. I'm a regular visitor to Wembley and of course you can't compare the money between the 2, but they clear out 80,000 people in what seems like no time. We spent an hour travelling 1.5km towards the bridge yesterday.

so back to mayo........any word on Andy? a friend of mine reckoned it was his knee . ....said he could not turn on it

km79 wrote: »
    so back to mayo........any word on Andy? a friend of mine reckoned it was his knee . ....said he could not turn on it
    I hope he is okay. We need him.

1 good point. Surely the other(1st) was at least a bit lucky.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Good result that.
    I always judged it as a banana skin and it's good that they got over it.

On the plus side I though AOS was brilliant playing further forward, reminded me of this minor days when he ran at goal with 3 or 4 guys hanging out of him.
    Hopefully they have enough cover in the middle to allow them to play him forward and get good quick ball into him, that should be able to unlock massed defences.

A point made on the TV during the game was that Mayo have a deep bench and I think it's a good point, they were able to bring Cafferkey on when Keane was on a yellow, Moran for Parsons, Vaughan into 6 etc.
    I also thought that Ronaldson did well when on.

On the negatives the ability of Galway to run at them in the first half especially, was worrying, it caused problem last year, and it should be sorted, how though I do not know.
    Overall it was a good day out, job done.
    I think they will win Connacht, I am not as big on Roscommon as others, and certainly not in Castlebar.

On the Sunday Game Live Spillane and Brolly were giving out about Mayo not closing out the game when they were 6 up, and that they gave away a Galway goal. It was later I realized that they gave away the goal on 52 mins, that's a full 20 mins left in the game.
    They did a great job on cynically closing out the game with only a few mins left, something that they did not do last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Thats terrible and certainly won't encourage anyone to try using it again.

We had the exact same problem last time Mayo were in town.
    Twas great getting the park and ride to the match but if you hadn't left the match 10-15 minutes early and gotten one of the first four buses back to Carnmore you waited ages for them to make the return trip to collect more, you'd have been there for ages.
    Obviously they haven't learned from last time out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

Despite Aidan O'Shea being Man of the Match (and deservedly so), I thought much of his solo running was one of the worst aspects of Mayo's play. Is he being indulged too much in this free role? He knows he's hard to stop and he's full of confidence but he slows down the whole team when he insists on running the ball from midfield.

Also Mayo's kicking was very mixed, a lot of that early ball out of defence was kicked into Galway hands. At least they're willing to mix it up under C&H but there are so many teams waiting for you who specialise in the counterattack that Mayo can't afford to gift so much ball away. Roscommon are probably Div.2 champions precisely because of their capacity to hurt teams on the break.

Good result that.
    I always judged it as a banana skin and it's good that they got over it.

On the plus side I though AOS was brilliant playing further forward, reminded me of this minor days when he ran at goal with 3 or 4 guys hanging out of him.
    Hopefully they have enough cover in the middle to allow them to play him forward and get good quick ball into him, that should be able to unlock massed defences.

A point made on the TV during the game was that Mayo have a deep bench and I think it's a good point, they were able to bring Cafferkey on when Keane was on a yellow, Moran for Parsons, Vaughan into 6 etc.
    I also thought that Ronaldson did well when on.

On the negatives the ability of Galway to run at them in the first half especially, was worrying, it caused problem last year, and it should be sorted, how though I do not know.
    Overall it was a good day out, job done.
    I think they will win Connacht, I am not as big on Roscommon as others, and certainly not in Castlebar.

On the Sunday Game Live Spillane and Brolly were giving out about Mayo not closing out the game when they were 6 up, and that they gave away a Galway goal. It was later I realized that they gave away the goal on 52 mins, that's a full 20 mins left in the game.
    They did a great job on cynically closing out the game with only a few mins left, something that they did not do last year.

The old chestnut, 7 points from play!

O 'Shea needs to vary his game a bit. Sometimes laying the ball off for other forwards to tap over the bar (or a goal)
    His presence should also present room/chances to other Forwards. The need to show and take their chances.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement