Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

km79 wrote: »
    it's a kip. end of. the other 2 stadia are much nicer ,with better facilities, capacities and watering holes!
    No game in the biggest and most expensive stadium in the province this year now so
    TBH I think common sense went out the window in making this decision.I thought 30 pieces of silver might tempt the Sligo County Board to accept the staging of the final in the best stadium in Connaught,sadly not to be.

I thought there was a health and safety issue impeding the staging of such games in Hyde Park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

http://www.the42.ie/mayo-sligo-connacht-final-2180082-Jun2015/

Dr Hyde Park will continue to stage matches with an expected attendance of under 18,750 so Connacht championship games and All Ireland qualifiers will continue to be played at the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

How many season ticket holders are there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Event Management Plan......

A little light on detail there it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Good lord, I've been at Hyde Park many times and I didn't realise it was so dangerous. We will go there, a game of football will be played, Mayo will (hopefully) win. End of story. Geographically it's the fairest option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Is the head of the Connacht council a rossie man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Think they got a bit mixed up between "Roscommon being in the Connaught Final" and " the Connaught Final being in Roscommon". :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

naughto wrote: »

Yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Look it lads, we played in Connacht finals there in 2011 & 2012 and it was okay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Why even bother with health and safety recommendations if the GAA just picks and chooses which ones to ignore or enforce?

Bit of a joke of a decision. The Hyde is an absolute kip and should not be staging a provincial final!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Why even bother with health and safety recommendations if the GAA just picks and chooses which ones to ignore or enforce?

Bit of a joke of a decision. The Hyde is an absolute kip and should not be staging a provincial final!!

I'd rather have Salthill. We could have had a good night out in Galway before hand and it's a much nicer ground, especially if the weather holds. I would have put up with the traffic.

Hyde Park on the other hand, well it's a **** hole if we are being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

+1, it's a compensation hunters dream. The GAA are allowing 20,000+ to attend an event at a location that they themselves have stated previously can only safely hold 18,500. Who pays out when someone sues for getting hurt and blames their injury on the excess crowds etc?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

After our game there during the league, the crowd was forced out through a single turnstile. No one bothered to open the gates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Gonna try and avoid the standing section opposite the stand. Been in there before when it was absolutely packed and not one bit of crowd control from the stewards. Forget putting small kids in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Event Management Plan......

A little light on detail there it seems.

Possibly the same plan they had in Tuam stadium in 1999 when Galway played Mayo - fit as many feckers in as possible!

I wonder what the expected attendance is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

There is approx 2,000 Croke Park season ticket holders and a further 1,500 approx Cairde ticket holders in Mayo. About 3,500 from what I can figure.

Interesting reading here after the "Slattery Report"

https://sites.google.com/a/gaa.ie/roscommon-gaa/news/statementregardingdrhydepark

Possibly the same plan they had in Tuam stadium in 1999 when Galway played Mayo - fit as many feckers in as possible!

I wonder what the expected attendance is?

I would say around 15000, can't see it being sold out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Great decision by the Connacht Council

The main reason the Hyde is in a bad state is that the Roscommon county board could not draw down any funding due to the complex ownership issues with the ground. Which are now sorted.
    So soon the pitch and stand will be developed.

Plus, that Slattery report went way overboard in its review and a lot of the issues have been sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I would say around 15000, can't see it being sold out.

There are as 23k+ there in 2012 for the last Sligo v Mayo, so I'd say it will be close enough to sold out.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

They can only sell 18500 tickets, considering we had 14000 in McHale for the game against Dublin then this would easily have drawn in 20k +
    Its just pure ignorance on the part of the Connacht Council and a complete disregard of fan safety.
    As I seen mentioned on another forum, will other counties now use this as a reference point for other provincial finals, since safety and lack of capacity are no longer considered.

Regardless we go up there and win and allow the Rossies some part in a Connacht final, I suppose someone has to pay for that redundant yellow bus.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Just to add some humor to the day, would anyone put a cork in this lads mouth...

http://www.the42.ie/john-evans-comments-2179043-Jun2015/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

according to the info Sligo are unhappy its not in salthill and may appeal!
    I suppose from their point of view they were told their own venue was unsuitable as was the Hyde so.... .

I suppose from their point of view they were told their own venue was unsuitable as was the Hyde so.... .

Well in fairness Marckeviz (Sp) is a mile better than Hyde Park, since capacity is been ignored I can now see why they are so pi55ed off.
    Is it really true that the head of the Connacht Council is a Rossie?

Mayo Gaa are towing the line that they have no say in it, same as Limerick. Great lads for keeping quite God bless them.

If Connacht Council are willing to pull a stunt like that to have the Hyde host it then I would fully support Sligo in their complaint.

yop wrote: »
    They can only sell 18500 tickets, considering we had 14000 in McHale for the game against Dublin then this would easily have drawn in 20k +
    Its just pure ignorance on the part of the Connacht Council and a complete disregard of fan safety.
    As I seen mentioned on another forum, will other counties now use this as a reference point for other provincial finals, since safety and lack of capacity are no longer considered.

Regardless we go up there and win and allow the Rossies some part in a Connacht final, I suppose someone has to pay for that redundant yellow bus.

capacity is over 20000 now.
    so by the time the final rolls around, it will probably have up to 23000 with some remedial works.
    and the Hyde has the same concrete seating as McHale.
    so ye should be well used to it.

There are as 23k+ there in 2012 for the last Sligo v Mayo, so I'd say it will be close enough to sold out.

Totally different scenario back then Tod, much more difficult to call.
    Both outfits are vastly different animals these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

naughto wrote: »

I'd say Prenty calls the shots regardless. He had a cheap dig at Mayo on local radio earlier as well. Completely out of order.

I don't get this. We were all told it was Sligo's call, now if they choose Hyde, fair enough but it seems they opted for Pearse. :confused:
    Well in fairness Marckeviz (Sp) is a mile better than Hyde Park, since capacity is been ignored I can now see why they are so pi55ed off.
    Is it really true that the head of the Connacht Council is a Rossie?

Mayo Gaa are towing the line that they have no say in it, same as Limerick. Great lads for keeping quite God bless them.

If Connacht Council are willing to pull a stunt like that to have the Hyde host it then I would fully support Sligo in their complaint.

Why, what have Mayo Co Board said on the issue?
    nice_guy80 wrote: »
    so by the time the final rolls around, it will probably have up to 23000 with some remedial works.

About 80% of the capacity in Hyde is terracing so it is in no way is comparable to Castlebar

nice_guy80 wrote: »

No it's not

It's a terrace
    McHale oddly enough is the only "all seater" county ground in the GAA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

No it's not

It's a terrace
    McHale oddly enough is the only "all seater" county ground in the GAA

No it's not.

There's a large section the length of the field in front of the stand that's concrete seating, the same as Castlebar. The other three sides are terracing.

Which of course is sooooooo dangerous!! Thousands of lives will be lost judging by the reaction here:D

Unfortunately, the 'industry' that is Health & Safety is absolutely running riot in this country for the last decade or so. They are the new religion, everybody's afraid to say what they really think about them. To say only 18k or so can fit safely into the Hyde is utterly ludicrous. I stewarded at the 2012 final where there was aprox 23-24k and there was loads of empty spaces behind both goals and towards the corners. Miraculously nobody was killed!

megadodge wrote: »
    No it's not.

There's a large section the length of the field in front of the stand that's concrete seating, the same as Castlebar. The other three sides are terracing.

Which of course is sooooooo dangerous!! Thousands of lives will be lost judging by the reaction here:D

Unfortunately, the 'industry' that is Health & Safety is absolutely running riot in this country for the last decade or so. They are the new religion, everybody's afraid to say what they really think about them. To say only 18k or so can fit safely into the Hyde is utterly ludicrous. I stewarded at the 2012 final where there was aprox 23-24k and there was loads of empty spaces behind both goals and towards the corners. Miraculously nobody was killed!

I personally have never had a problem with Hyde Park
    It's just in this situation I would have preferred the game to be in Castlebar or Galway.
    What's most annoying is the inconsistency, if a ground is deem not fit for a final then why are they playing a final in it

Or has Hyde got a clean bill of health lately ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I really dislike terraces, esp on a hot summers day, imo its like being treated like cattle (no offence to the cattle :D )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

I personally have never had a problem with Hyde Park
    It's just in this situation I would have preferred the game to be in Castlebar or Galway.
    What's most annoying is the inconsistency, if a ground is deem not fit for a final then why are they playing a final in it

Or has Hyde got a clean bill of health lately ?

I don't actually know and the announcemnt came as a bit of a shock here in Ros.
    We weren't expecting any games of any sort here since the announcement that the redevelopment of the Hyde was going ahead and the Hyde would be shut for at least 18 months.
    The only thing is nobody seems to know when the development is starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Oldtree wrote: »
    I really dislike terraces, esp on a hot summers day, imo its like being treated like cattle (no offence to the cattle :D )

or sheep :)

Sligo County Board are not happy with the decision and want the game switched to Markevicz, which is rightly so as both Markevicz and Hyde were deemed unsuitable. So if its okay now for one, then it has to be for the other.
    Has the Hyde full seating on all 4 sides? From what I remember it didn't and the lack of toilet facilities is shocking.
    Its laughable that even the Rossies are shocked by it, would love to know the logic behind it all.

As for Prenty on the radio, for a Mayo man his attitude towards the fans was shocking to say the least.
    Its probably nothing but for the reason of money that this was done.

When you have the head of the Lenister council using the excuse that they have to play in Croker as it wouldn't be fair on old people as they couldn't access the other grounds in Lenister, then this is even more farcical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Only realised now that thers no sligo thread.
    Would prefer Sligo to the rossies even giving Sligo home advantage it will not matter in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Gee Male

Sligo County Board are not happy with the decision and want the game switched to Markevicz, which is rightly so as both Markevicz and Hyde were deemed unsuitable. So if its okay now for one, then it has to be for the other

This makes no sense logically. Just because Hyde is now deemed OK (or at least manageable with reduced capacity) from a health and safety point of view, does not mean that a completely separate stadium also should be.

What did Prenty say on the radio?

As for Prenty on the radio, for a Mayo man his attitude towards the fans was shocking to say the least.

:confused:
    Its probably nothing but for the reason of money that this was done.

What on earth is that supposed to mean? If anything this decision will cost the Connacht Council money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Said on the radio that traffic problems in Tuam and due to the Arts festival that weekend were the reasons for opting for Roscommon over Salthill

Said on the radio that traffic problems in Tuam and due to the Arts festival that weekend were the reasons for opting for Roscommon.

Which makes sense to me, though I do remember going to Salthill one year when the airshow was on and that didn't cause much of a fuss.

Apparently Sligo supporters could tell you some horror stories of traffic through Tuam on the way to Salthill too.

What did he say that was apparently so insulting to Mayo supporters? Or are other posters being a bit dramatic?

Gee Male wrote: »
    Which makes sense to me, though I do remember going to Salthill one year when the airshow was on and that didn't cause much of a fuss.

Apparently Sligo supporters could tell you some horror stories of traffic through Tuam on the way to Salthill too.

What did he say that was apparently so insulting to Mayo supporters? Or are other posters being a bit dramatic?

When asked what did Mayo think of the decision he said 'I dont know, sure Mayo always have a problem with venues' something along those lines. He's a full time employee, he was way out of line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

The year of the airshow wasn't a problem because the crowd hung around and left at different times.

I didn't hear Prunty, I heard it on the news on Today FM

When asked what did Mayo think of the decision he said 'I dont know, sure Mayo always have a problem with venues' something along those lines. He's a full time employee, he was way out of line.

If he did state that verbatim he spoke in a totally unprofessional manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Whatever about the fans, the players would play Sligo in the final on the summit of Benbulben!!

This makes no sense logically. Just because Hyde is now deemed OK (or at least manageable with reduced capacity) from a health and safety point of view, does not mean that a completely separate stadium also should be.

What did Prenty say on the radio?
    Prenty said that Mayo fans are always complaining about the venus no matter where the games are played.

Well it seems the reason why Hyde and Markevicz weren't considered was down to lack of capacity to hold a major final and for safety reasons. So they are wondering now why Hyde with no work done is now chosen ahead of allowing Sligo having the game at home.
    :confused:

What on earth is that supposed to mean? If anything this decision will cost the Connacht Council money

Rossies will get a bigger pot now since they are hosting it, with the development work due then they will have a few more pound to put into the pot.

Rossies will get a bigger pot now since they are hosting it, with the development work due then they will have a few more pound to put into the pot.

You seriously suggesting thats the reason?

Prenty said that Mayo fans are always complaining about the venus no matter where the games are played.

Well it seems the reason why Hyde and Markevicz weren't considered was down to lack of capacity to hold a major final and for safety reasons. So they are wondering now why Hyde with no work done is now chosen ahead of allowing Sligo having the game at home.

So a tongue in cheek jibe over nothing in particular, based on the complaining of some about Limerick last year, Salthill this year and the prospect of Salthill again in the final?

If people are genuinely offended by that then they're more than a bit precious.

• Advertisement

You seriously suggesting thats the reason?

Well what is the other reason a ground deemed unsuitable last Monday by Prenty is now deemed suitable with no safety works done and no extra capacity installed.

Why do you think they are using Hyde park?

That's pretty laughable,the fact that we'd legitimate reasons to not wish to have to travel to Limerick last year seems to be been used as a stick to beat us with.I can't recall any other occasion when the Green and Red support didn't head off to any venue without complaint.Smacks of similar thoughtless remarks made last year post the semi final replay by the now ex president of the GAA Liam O Neill.

this thread is hilarious.
    if the game was in Belmullet there'd still be complaints

seligehgit wrote: »
    That's pretty laughable,the fact that we'd legitimate reasons to not wish to have to travel to Limerick last year seems to be been used as a stick to beat us with.I can't recall any other occasion when the Green and Red support didn't head off to any venue without complaint.Smacks of similar thoughtless remarks made last year post the semi final replay by the now ex president of the GAA Liam O Neill.

In fairness we are one of the best supported counties, go to any league away match and you will find a few thousand Mayo fans there easily. Not sure what is wrong with Prenty, but he was out of order regardless.
    Ya the GAA in general don't seem to give 2 fks towards fans of most counties, just take it fro granted that we wil turn up anyway and pay the prices, which we do.

Anyway, it won't be changed now unless Sligo kick up a massive stink, wasn't it 2 years ago that they managed to double sell some seats!
    We had to collect our tickets from the caravan out the front.

Suppose we will be ambushed by the A&E brigade though Ming will be too busy in Brussels now! :D

Well what is the other reason a ground deemed unsuitable last Monday by Prenty is now deemed suitable with no safety works done and no extra capacity installed.

Why do you think they are using Hyde park?

tbh i have no idea but i doubt that Mayo stood by and let a deal be hatched that would provide a windfall for Roscommon.

By the way what did Prenty say last Monday?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement