Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    this thread is hilarious.
    if the game was in Belmullet there'd still be complaints

Ah no last Saturday was hilarious, listening to your manager and your supporters already buying the tickets for the Connacht final and now the "Cups" excuse is hilarious.
    But your welcome to stay on here and enjoy some part of a Connacht final.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

tbh i have no idea but i doubt that Mayo stood by and let a deal be hatched that would provide a windfall for Roscommon.

By the way what did Prenty say last Monday?

Mayo GAA could have no say in the decision as it was Sligo's choice.
    Note that Hyde couldn't be used in this piece.
    http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22197:connacht-final-venue-is-sligos-call&catid=14&Itemid=100008

Link to the decision from Prenty this morning
    http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22230:prenty-explains-final-venue-decision&catid=14&Itemid=100008

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Gee Male

yop wrote: »
    Well what is the other reason a ground deemed unsuitable last Monday by Prenty is now deemed suitable with no safety works done and no extra capacity installed.

Why do you think they are using Hyde park?

This is becoming a bit weird now. Have you an issue with John Prenty specifically?

For the record, Hyde Park was not deemed unfit by Prenty, ever. It was deemed unfit by the famous Slattery Report, of which Prenty played no part. I suspect you know this, I'm just not sure what the agenda is in bringing Prenty into it. Even portraying the decision to play the game in the Hyde was not his decision alone, it was a decision of the Council of which he is a part.

Personally, I think they are using Hyde Park because Sligo insisted on not playing the game in Castlebar. Connacht Council must have deemed Salthill unsuitable due to the fiasco of a couple of weeks ago, added to the fact that the Connacht final weekend will be a busier than normal weekend in Galway too, thereby exacerbating the problem.

Why do you think Prenty wants it in Roscommon, when the result is less money for the Connacht Council? Do you seriously think a game with 20,000 people at it is going to do much financially for the re-work on the Hyde?

"Link to decision from Prenty" and the link brings us to an article which says, as it's first line, "THE decision to fix next month’s Connacht SFC Final for Dr Hyde Park, Roscommon was agreed by representatives of all counties in the province, according to Connacht GAA Council Secretary John Prenty."

What decision did Prenty take then? Did he decide on hob nobs versus custard creams for the meeting?

Gee Male wrote: »
    This is becoming a bit weird now. Have you an issue with John Prenty specifically?

For the record, Hyde Park was not deemed unfit by Prenty, ever. It was deemed unfit by the famous Slattery Report, of which Prenty played no part. I suspect you know this, I'm just not sure what the agenda is in bringing Prenty into it. Even portraying the decision to play the game in the Hyde was not his decision alone, it was a decision of the Council of which he is a part.

Personally, I think they are using Hyde Park because Sligo insisted on not playing the game in Castlebar. Connacht Council must have deemed Salthill unsuitable due to the fiasco of a couple of weeks ago, added to the fact that the Connacht final weekend will be a busier than normal weekend in Galway too, thereby exacerbating the problem.

Why do you think Prenty wants it in Roscommon, when the result is less money for the Connacht Council? Do you seriously think a game with 20,000 people at it is going to do much financially for the re-work on the Hyde?

Where did I say it was Prentys decision.... he was the man fronting the Connacht GAA Council on local radio this morning and he was the man interviewed by local media on Monday and said that Hyde couldn't be considered. He is on the Connacht Council.
    Yes I know about the Slattery Report and yes i know who made the decision.
    I have no issue with Prenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Im not nitpicking but where did he actually say Hyde was unsuitable?

"Link to decision from Prenty" and the link brings us to an article which says, as it's first line, "THE decision to fix next month’s Connacht SFC Final for Dr Hyde Park, Roscommon was agreed by representatives of all counties in the province, according to Connacht GAA Council Secretary John Prenty."

What decision did Prenty take then? Did he decide on hob nobs versus custard creams for the meeting?

Seriously, do you need me to draw stick men for this one.
    Did I say it was him that made the decision. Prenty was the spokesman.

Im not nitpicking but where did he actually say Hyde was unsuitable?

Think it was the Connaught Telegraph or Independent who had the quote, I will see if I can root it out.

Seriously, do you need me to draw stick men for this one.
    Did I say it was him that made the decision. Prenty was the spokesman.

Post 8954, you say link to Prenty's decision. You can draw stick men if you like, but it'd only be a bit of a circular reference for yourself.

Also, post 8948 you're talking about a ground deemed unsuitable by Prenty. Which seems to hint at another decision that you've yet to provide any evidence of. All a bit weird.

If this is all because of a throwaway comment on Mayo fans complaining about venues, then precious doesn't begin to describe it.

• Advertisement

Think it was the Connaught Telegraph or Independent who had the quote, I will see if I can root it out.

I think it was just assumption on their part, havent seen a direct quote

If this is all because of a throwaway comment on Mayo fans complaining about venues, then precious doesn't begin to describe it.

He's a well paid full time official of the Connacht Council. A man in his position should not be making disparaging remarks like that and he didnt specify Mayo 'fans', he said Mayo so he could just as easily be having a cut at the County Board. It's totally unprofessional.

Post 8954, you say link to Prenty's decision. You can draw stick men if you like, but it'd only be a bit of a circular reference for yourself.

Also, post 8948 you're talking about a ground deemed unsuitable by Prenty. Which seems to hint at another decision that you've yet to provide any evidence of. All a bit weird.

Nope, read it again, its probably missing a "," so just for you

"Link to the decision, from Prenty this morning"
    http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?opt...&Itemid=100008

Yes he is quoted, as I said I am not sure what paper it was, I don't take photocopies of all articles I read, but I will the next time in case you need convincing.

Precious we are indeed, what fair county are you from them? Or can we guess....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Yes he is quoted, as I said I am not sure what paper it was, I don't take photocopies of all articles I read, but I will the next time in case you need convincing.

Bad link

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Kalyke wrote: »
    Bad link

Sorry, not sure what happened the link.
    Not sure if I am allowed to paste in the full piece, mods remove if I am not.

Now even though we have season tickets we aren't guaranteed a seat.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22230:prenty-explains-final-venue-decision&catid=14&Itemid=100008

Connacht Council delegates agreed on Hyde Park

Mike Finnerty

THE decision to fix next month’s Connacht SFC Final for Dr Hyde Park, Roscommon was agreed by representatives of all counties in the province, according to Connacht GAA Council Secretary John Prenty.
    The decision to play the game between Mayo and Sligo in Roscommon on Sunday, July 19 was announced yesterday evening (Tuesday) following a meeting of the Connacht GAA Council Competitions Control Committee in Bekan.
    Speaking to Mid West Radio this morning (Wednesday), John Prenty confirmed that Connacht Council CCC delegates from Mayo (Paddy McNicholas), Sligo (Richard Brennan), Leitrim (Gerry McGowan), Roscommon (John Corcoran) and Galway (John Joe Holleran) had ‘agreed’ on the decision to play the match in Hyde Park.
    “We don’t impose anything on anybody,” said Prenty, who added that he doesn’t expect more than 22,000 people to attend the novel provincial decider.
    The Ballyhaunis native also outlined the main factors behind the decision to select the Roscommon venue to host its first Connacht Senior Football Final since 2012:
    “We had a notional capacity for a Connacht Final of 25,000 but that really is only when Galway or Mayo or Roscommon playing each other in a Connacht Final. [For] Connacht Finals involving Sligo or Leitrim, our attendance is usually way down on that.
    “We examined our Event Management Plan and we feel that we can take our attendance [in Hyde Park] to around 22,000 for the next game.
    “We examined the attendances of Mayo and Sligo in this year’s championship,” he continued.
    “Mayo had just over 11,000 people who attended Pearse Stadium [for the semi-final]. . Sligo had about 3,000 people that attended [their semi-final] in Markievicz Park last week. .
    “Normally a minor match [final] will take around 4,000 people altogether so, we’re satisfied, on that basis, that the capacity of Hyde Park won’t be taxed on this occasion.
    “The distance from the competing counties to Pearse Stadium would be a major difficulty for a lot of people,” he added. “Plus, the fact that 90% of them would have to go through Tuam to get to Galway, and be travelling in the same direction.
    “The Galway Arts Festival is also on in Galway that weekend and the last day of the skywhale [an outdoor artwork that measures 100 feet long and 70 feet tall] is on that day.
    “We spoke to some of the people organising it and they’re expecting a huge crowd in Galway on the Sunday because of that. So all those issues were taken into account.”
    In the wake of the 2012 Connacht Final between Mayo and Sligo, Dr Hyde Park, Roscommon had its capacity reduced by a GAA health and safety audit — the Slattery Report — to 18,750, ruling it out of consideration for provincial deciders in each of the last two seasons.
    However, John Prenty explained this morning that a Mayo v Sligo pairing in the final can be accommodated, providing the Connacht GAA Council ‘update’ their Event Management Plan and strict measures are put in place with regards to fans entering and exiting the stadium.
    “Since that Slattery Report was issued in 2012, Roscommon have spent over €110,000 on safety issues alone so we have to give Roscommon County Board some credit for that,” he said.
    “The Slattery Report says that fixtures with an expected capacity of more than 25,000 shouldn’t be held in Hyde Park.
    “We can accommodate 23,470 people safely, according to the Slattery Report, providing we put a proper Event Management Plan in place and ensure that the people in the stand and sideline side of the ground enter via the Golf Links Road.
    “All patrons with a ticket for the stand or the sideline will have to enter from the rear of the stand.”
    Prenty also confirmed that tickets for the match will be going on sale after July 4 (when the identity of the Connacht Minor Finalists will be known) and admission prices will be decided at a provincial council meeting next Tuesday.
    He also stated that Cairde Maigheo members and Mayo GAA Season Ticket holders would be “guaranteed a ticket to the game, but not guaranteed a ticket to the stand.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

All it will take now is the young Rossies to make the minor final and we're set for chaos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Sorry, not sure what happened the link.
    Not sure if I am allowed to paste in the full piece, mods remove if I am not.

Now even though we have season tickets we aren't guaranteed a seat.

There's about 3,000 Mayo season ticket holders I think. What can the stand hold?

First come first serve basis more than likely.

Well for last year's Connaught semi final against Roscommon they'd a whole middle section of the stand cordoned off for the so called VIPs whilst it was off limits for the season ticket holders who had been guaranteed a stand seat. there was open revolt as lots of us had no choice but to seat ourselves on the ground blocking the exits.Eventually common sense prevailed and we were offered seats by the same said stewards that we were trying to remove us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

seligehgit wrote: »
    Well for last year's Connaught semi final against Roscommon they'd a whole middle section of the stand cordoned off for the so called VIPs whilst it was off limits for the season ticket holders who had been guaranteed a stand seat. there was open revolt as lots of us had no choice but to seat ourselves on the ground blocking the exits.Eventually common sense prevailed and we were offered seats by the same said stewards that we were trying to remove us.

I saw the section that they had cordoned off, I was standing in the opposite end. V.I.P's ffs, probably a few councillors that would shut the curtains if Mayo were playing a league game in their back garden :D

Even with your comma your sentence makes no sense. Unless Prenty sent the link directly to you himself?

Anyway, all very petty. I see nothing wrong with the decision, or with what Prenty said about the decision. Salthill would have been chaos, Sligo didn't want Castlebar (understandably), everyone should be happy with Hyde... but alas. We love a good moan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Lads,
    The Hyde, the countess, pairc Sean, salt hill or Mchale. It shouldn't make any difference in that we are a division one team, Sligo are division 3. We're going for 5 in a row and have won more in the last 4 years than they have in their history. They'll be damn hungry and would love to scalp us.
    What's important is that the team prepare accordingly and make sure we lift the Nestor for a fifth year running.

You sure about that??

You sure about that??

He is right on that one. Will be the same again. Boards of all teams represented, CC members and Enda and a few lads like that.

He is right on that one. Will be the same again. Boards of all teams represented, CC members and Enda and a few lads like that.

No i was referring to season ticket holders being guaranteed a 'seat'

• Advertisement

No i was referring to season ticket holders being guaranteed a 'seat'

Actually I think I'll have to backtrack,don't think we were guaranteed a seat,my bads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

I think prenty is posting on here

naughto wrote: »
    I think prenty is posting on here

According to the statement that Prenty made, not Prenty statement, not wrote by Prenty, it was his words, is that clear :D:D:D

No season ticket holders are guaranteed a season. These tickets are losing their "power" each year.

Prenty must be indeed! :D

Anyhow back to the football,any new re the injuries to Andy Moran and Alan Dillon?Apparently Andy went for an MRI.....

According to the statement that Prenty made, not Prenty statement, not wrote by Prenty, it was his words, is that clear :D:D:D

No season ticket holders are guaranteed a season. These tickets are losing their "power" each year.

Prenty must be indeed! :D

Well at least you've stopped saying it was his decision I suppose.

I've no gra for Prenty at all, met him a couple of times, have no doubt he's no stranger to a sly one. I just genuinely don't see how he has here.

His comment that seems to have annoyed some of the prissier folk on here was nothing. GAA fans can be weird - all about tradition and revelling in the amateurishness and backwardness in some ways, then get up in arms about a throwaway joke remark when it suits too, demanding professionalism from unqualified amateur administrators. It's mad.

Bottom line is that the Hyde makes sense for the vast majority of people. But what do I care, I'm not even going.

• Advertisement

Anyhow back to the football,any new re the injuries to Andy Moran and Alan Dillon?Apparently Andy went for an MRI.....

Moran got the all clear and might even appear this weekend, same with COC.
    Dillon still no word on him.
    Next round of games this weekend.

Well at least you've stopped saying it was his decision I suppose.

I've no gra for Prenty at all, met him a couple of times, have no doubt he's no stranger to a sly one. I just genuinely don't see how he has here.

His comment that seems to have annoyed some of the prissier folk on here was nothing. GAA fans can be weird - all about tradition and revelling in the amateurishness and backwardness in some ways, then get up in arms about a throwaway joke remark when it suits too, demanding professionalism from unqualified amateur administrators. It's mad.

Bottom line is that the Hyde makes sense for the vast majority of people. But what do I care, I'm not even going.

You dont know what you're talking about. he is a full time secretary, and is on serious money. He is far from an unqualified administrator, get your facts right before wading in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Moran got the all clear and might even appear this weekend, same with COC.
    Dillon still no word on him.
    Next round of games this weekend.

that's great news
    Andy has sadly lost the yard of pace but he is still a great option and in area of the pitch where options are lacking !
    is it too much to hope for that we can get a bit of luck this year with no injuries to key players ........

km79 wrote: »
    that's great news
    Andy has sadly lost the yard of pace but he is still a great option and in area of the pitch where options are lacking !
    is it too much to hope for that we can get a bit of luck this year with no injuries to key players ........

Still a great forward, well worth a couple of points a game with numerous assists.
    Luck would be good, we have to be due a decent run of it at some stage.

Would be a good start if this thread returned to Footballing matters too.

You dont know what you're talking about. he is a full time secretary, and is on serious money. He is far from an unqualified administrator, get your facts right before wading in.

Just looking for a reaction, don't feed.
    that's great news

Absolutely, he has lost a couple of stone I would say, which might be a good or bad thing, hard to gauge.
    AOS would be the biggest loss, that said has COC managed a season yet where he wasn't injured?
    You need luck to win games and titles, just have to keep the fingers crossed. Each game as it goes, go into the final with no injuries and get the job done.

Blackjack wrote: »
    Still a great forward, well worth a couple of points a game with numerous assists.
    Luck would be good, we have to be due a decent run of it at some stage.

Would be a good start if this thread returned to Footballing matters too.

yeah he is a big man too which allows either cillian or AOS to drift deeper when needed. Mark Ronaldson showed the last day as well that he can operate effectively just off a 2 man full forward line sweeping up their breaks

Just looking for a reaction, don't feed.

Absolutely, he has lost a couple of stone I would say, which might be a good or bad thing, hard to gauge.
    AOS would be the biggest loss, that said has COC managed a season yet where he wasn't injured?
    You need luck to win games and titles, just have to keep the fingers crossed. Each game as it goes, go into the final with no injuries and get the job done.

AOS and COC are irreplaceable. Keith Higgins also extremely important but the 2 boys for different reasons are vital and if they were out long term our hopes would go with them!
    anyway better not jinx it !

Well the fact is that he has zero qualifications for the role he's in, he got there after a stint as county secretary. Few years from now, his equivalent will be college educated sports or public administrators. Prenty was a teacher in Swinford. Expecting professionalism from him is unfair in my opinion.

AOS and COC are irreplaceable. Keith Higgins also extremely important but the 2 boys for different reasons are vital and if they were out long term our hopes would go with them!
    anyway better not jinx it !

Agreed re the 2 lads,mind you Keith Higgins is pretty irreplaceable too and our best player.Only my opinion before I get slaughtered!:D

Well the fact is that he has zero qualifications for the role he's in, he got there after a stint as county secretary. Few years from now, his equivalent will be college educated sports or public administrators. Prenty was a teacher in Swinford. Expecting professionalism from him is unfair in my opinion.

That would be a fair point if be wasn't picking up a full time wage for same.

Anyhow I'd love if we just got back to on field matters.:)

• Advertisement

Agreed re the 2 lads,mind you Keith Higgins is pretty irreplaceable too and our best player.Only my opinion before I get slaughtered!:D

he is probably my favourite player too and one of our best as well as a big leaded BUT there are other options if the worst happened. nowhere near as good but not season ending for the team whereas as losing one of the other 2 is curtains !
    I take your point though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

I always think that you can rely on your known performers.
    You need as many other players besides the top three to turn in 7 or 8 out of 10 performances.
    Diarmuid OConnor and Andy while he played were 8/10. I'll be really looking to see can they perform again.
    Alan Freeman taking layoffs from AOS would have been a big goal threat but management don't seem to have practiced the target man layoff plays necessary. AOS is playing out of his skin and making up for a lack of coaching of the passer to target man laying off to a runner game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

You need as many other players besides the top three to turn in 7 or 8 out of 10 performances.
    Diarmuid OConnor and Andy while he played were 8/10. I'll be really looking to see can they perform again.
    Alan Freeman taking layoffs from AOS would have been a big goal threat but management don't seem to have practiced the target man layoff plays necessary. AOS is playing out of his skin and making up for a lack of coaching of the passer to target man laying off to a runner game.

I was thinking about that after the Galway game . Does anyone see an Evan Regan feeding off oshea . He can take his points and oshea would make up for the lack of physical aspect of regans game . Probably too late in the season after July to start experimenting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

It is unfair surely, only thing expected of a donkey is a kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

he is probably my favourite player too and one of our best as well as a big leaded BUT there are other options if the worst happened. nowhere near as good but not season ending for the team whereas as losing one of the other 2 is curtains !
    I take your point though

Who has a big leaded but ? AOS used to but it's gone now.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Who has a big leaded but ? AOS used to but it's gone now.

Think he meant leader, as opposed to leaded

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

^^^^^^^^^^……… I ain't smart enough to work out that cryptic stuff:D

blinding wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^……… I ain't smart enough to work out that cryptic stuff:D

ha ha sorry
    I meant Higgins is a big leader !
    I have been SO impressed with AOS all through the league . He is in great shape. Really need him to stay fit. He is VERY hard for anyone to handle in this form. And if teams do prioritize him it will free up space for the likes of Cillian .
    Kevin McLoughlins form on the other hand really needs to improve ......if he can get back to his 2012\13 form he will be vital. If not he should be under pressure for his place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

I have a feeling where not going to see much of freeman under the new management he came on with two mins to go against Galway even though the game was wrapped up a good bit before that.
    Agree with Kevin McLoughlins form being poor he could be that he needs a rest or just a size 10 boot up the hole to get him going again. His free taking has gone to the dogs as well missing13 yard frees is not on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Could just be a blip with McGloughlin. In terms of footballing ability himself and Diarmuid OConnor are leading the way at half forward. But Kevin Mc could do with just simplifying and seeking out men inside every time. His shooting accuracy has been concerning and recently passing. But he has a high performance ceiling.
    Jason Doc is relying far too much on incidents of workrate. Every error undoes one of yer turnovers. Rewatched Donegal league game and he pretty much undone all his turnovers by losing the ball or giving away scoreable frees. He's rarely scoring more than one from play, he's not picking out men with assists. He needs a big game versus Sligo. Turnovers are great indeed but it swings both ways in a simple plus minus manner.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement