Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Syferus wrote: »
    Do you think every Meath or Kildare season ticket holder gets stand tickets when they play Carlow or Longford or Wicklow away? How about Kerry going to Waterford?.

Possibly not, but I bet they get the best possible tickets available in the grounds they are playing in. Which isn't happening in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

yop wrote: »
    Any update on player injuries or form from the weekend. I see Mickey Conroy had a good game at the weekend.

According to the Mayo News, all 34 players are fully fit for selection - which is excellent news.

You get the feeling if we are going anywhere this year then we need a bit of luck with all of our top players being fully fit, so far so good.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ColeTrain wrote: »
    According to the Mayo News, all 34 players are fully fit for selection - which is excellent news.

You get the feeling if we are going anywhere this year then we need a bit of luck with all of our top players being fully fit, so far so good.

No matter what game/sport/line of life, that plays a major part. Looking at probably all of our AI loses you can pick out a snippet of bad luck in them all, but of course other factors too! :D

Good to see Regan made some impression over the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Oldtree wrote:
    They know they have a captive audience, and I hate all the searching/asking for all Ireland tickets I'd have to do when Mayo are playing.

To be honest that's why I have mine. Nobody wants to take your season ticket and give it to a client. It's yours it's the best thing about it imho.

No matter what game/sport/line of life, that plays a major part. Looking at probably all of our AI loses you can pick out a snippet of bad luck in them all, but of course other factors too! :D

Good to see Regan made some impression over the weekend.

We've seen some bad luck alright in recent times. It wasn't why we lost all the games but it played its part in contributing.

'12- Losing Andy Moran - who was our most valuable player at the time.
    '13- Cillian's dodgy shoulder.
    '14 Aidan and Cillian bumping heads in Limerick.

Hopefully this year we can keep all of our big players fit for the entire campaign and get some good luck on the pitch. Would that be too much to ask for? Probably!

Also, Regan is good enough to play a part. Wouldn't be surprised to see him contribute something before the year is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Any update on player injuries or form from the weekend. I see Mickey Conroy had a good game at the weekend.

I've just heard we've a clean sheet injury wise. Regan and Micky C had good game at weekend.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mr Prenty on Mad West radio after 10am to discuss the relegation of ST and Cáirde Mhaigheo to the sidelines in the Connacht Final if anyone is interested/bored :D

Prenty saying that they don't want to discriminate against any season ticket holders, so they're going to lump them all into the concrete seats in front on the stand.

In the stand, will be non-season ticket holders, including 1,000 seats for 'sponsors'...

Prenty saying that they don't want to discriminate against any season ticket holders, so they're going to lump them all into the concrete seats in front on the stand.

In the stand, will be non-season ticket holders, including 1,000 seats for 'sponsors'...

1000 player tickets, 100 tickets for ex Galway players. 45 for invite guests and 1200 to clubs.

He isn't even getting the wording right from the ST website. "If possible" doesnt appear.

1000 player tickets, 100 tickets for ex Galway players. 45 for invite guests and 1200 to clubs.

He isn't even getting the wording right from the ST website. "If possible" doesnt appear.

Got it mixed up.

To be honest, I'm not bothered either way. I'm happy to sit in front on the stand, I'll bring the jacket anyway just in case we get a downpour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

We'll just have to keep an eagle eye out for the weather forecast..

seligehgit wrote: »
    We'll just have to keep an eagle eye out for the weather forecast..

We'll have to keep an eye out for the 'umbrella brigade' too, if we get the rain.

We'll have to keep an eye out for the 'umbrella brigade' too, if we get the rain.

That's drives me potty,bring your rain gear and be prepared.Don't spoil any others enjoyment/view of the game!:mad:

Got it mixed up.

To be honest, I'm not bothered either way. I'm happy to sit in front on the stand, I'll bring the jacket anyway just in case we get a downpour!

And the cushion and the toilet! :D

That's drives me potty,bring your rain gear and be prepared.Don't spoil any others enjoyment/view of the game!:mad:

There's nothing worse alright.
    And the cushion and the toilet! :D

Ha, we will be like Bear Grylls entering the Hyde :D

There's nothing worse alright.

Ha, we will be like Bear Grylls entering the Hyde :D

And have to kill a sheep with our bare hands for food, then fight off the Rossies "A&E" Brigade outside! :D

It will be eventful !:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

In the stand, will be non-season ticket holders, including seats for 'sponsors'...

Does he not see the irony in what he says? :rolleyes:

He is discriminating against all season ticket holders, by putting non-season ticket holders in the covered non-concrete seats stand, and dont get me started on the empty 'sponsors' seats.

Talk about abusing language to suit your purpose. :mad:

Ah ya, its annoying the balls off me but at this stage we can't do a thing about it, and the fkers know that too which is more the shame.
    We will still travel in big numbers and hopefully see another Connacht title in the bag.

With a full squad available now he is bound to have selection headaches.

I wonder will Vaughan get his place back and if Parsons will start again? Handy Andy might struggle to get his place in the corner though if he is not 100%.
    From what I can remember this is the 1st time in a long time that we have a full squad available.

Where is the biggest threat from Sligo, I know very little about them outside of 2 very good corner forwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Also, Regan is good enough to play a part. Wouldn't be surprised to see him contribute something before the year is out.

He's been very unlucky this year so far. Was all set for a good run through the league until Buckley went in with that late challenge. It would be good to see him make a few appearances this year but I can't see him becoming a regular starter yet, we haven't seen anything of him in big games to think otherwise. However we do need to keep bringing in fresh blood, what has happened to Kirby, will we see anything of him this year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

I wonder will Vaughan get his place back and if Parsons will start again? Handy Andy might struggle to get his place in the corner though if he is not 100%.
    From what I can remember this is the 1st time in a long time that we have a full squad available.

With AOS nailed down in the forwards I would be surprised if Parsons and SOS weren't the default choice for MF this year. This year I would think MF will consist of SOS, Parsons, Barry Moran and dropping AOS back if really stuck. Possibly Donie as well but his natural position is HB, but without racing forward too often. I hope we see a tighter defence against Sligo as Galway ripped us open too often.

If you manage to pull away from Sligo in the 3rd quarter I would hope to see some newer players blooded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Syferus wrote: »
    Do you think every Meath or Kildare season ticket holder gets stand tickets when they play Carlow or Longford or Wicklow away? How about Kerry going to Waterford? You're being ridiculous if you think that is something that could even be possible.

Seriously lads, your attitude is really poor here and a lot of people are laughing at Mayo because of how they're reacting. It's not good for anyone. I'm telling you exactly how this is playing outside Mayo and if you want to continue on this mad pointless bandwagon be my guest.

Would these be all ticket matches? if so, then yes they would be entitled though im not sure they would have as many as Mayo. Kerry excluded obv, and in any event the Leinster Council would fix matches for Croke Park if there was going to be an issue with capacity. You see the difference? As for how this is playing outside Mayo, i doubt anyone really gives a toss, why would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Kirby showed a rare ability to pass the ball accurately over distance. Some players are better passers than shooters (Keith Higgins an example).
    In terms of shooting and being an attacking threat he wasn't ever able to break free of cover. The big improvement in him will have been this big 15 week window of training where he would surely have been doing a lot of power work. For a big man still a little bit short on power. Kirby those few % stronger is a much different threat.
    Regan I think might come off the bench versus Sligo. He has already played a club game and that would have been after consultation with Mayo medical team. We know that we need to be ready for quarter final stages and we need our full hand ready for possible quarters onwards. I see his pace being useful in second half. Coming off the bench we minimize amount of contact he suffers. Slight bit more space available as well off the bench.
    MF will continue as SOS and Parsons. SOS is excellent at getting through tackles, turnovers and closing down the opposition counter attack. When he wins the ball he breaks out with it. Could do with releasing the ball sooner and simpler.
    Parsons I see as the attacking threat. We should be using him as more of a strike runner. Parsons in full stride is incredibly quick for a guy 6'3".
    Barry Moran I'v thought could be good off the bench brought on as extra security on our own kickout but as a 3rd midfielder. SOS and Parsons have the engine for 70 mins. Barry Moran looks much more mobile now.
    AOS we need to be working runners off him better. Andy, Regan and Cillian should be practicing receiving ball back from AOS and pinging over shots. The sign of a good team is where the final scorer has a relatively simple 20 yard tapover. The coordinated teamwork has put the shooter in space close to goal. Look at Dublins scores and how many of them are straightforward chances from less than 25 yards.

I hope the misty heavy drizzly slippy rain we are getting at the moment peters out by Sunday. Will be a leveller otherwise.

AOS was chasing down a galway man in the second half, he leaned forward at full tilt and flicked the ball out of the Galway man's hands with the tips of his fingers, almost sending the player with the ball, it's an endearing memory :-).

Have to admit I'm getting excited.

Oldtree wrote: »
    I hope the misty heavy drizzly slippy rain we are getting at the moment peters out by Sunday. Will be a leveller otherwise.

AOS was chasing down a galway man in the second half, he leaned forward at full tilt and flicked the ball out of the Galway man's hands with the tips of his fingers, almost sending the player with the ball, it's an endearing memory :-).

Have to admit I'm getting excited.

Presume you mean Sunday week ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Imagine the pain of turning up at the hyde on the wrong sunday. :D

• Advertisement

Ticket got. Uncovered seating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

irishgeo wrote: »
    Ticket got. Uncovered seating.

Season ticket holder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

mayo.mick wrote: »
    I've just heard we've a clean sheet injury wise. Regan and Micky C had good game at weekend.

Good to hear. Was talking to a mate of Conroys few weeks ago and he reckoned no way would he make it back to full fitness this season.

Dam phone :P Clearly I'm over excited :D

irishgeo wrote: »
    Imagine the pain of turning up at the hyde on the wrong sunday. :D

I'm off the watch the ladies play this sunday ;)

• Advertisement

naughto wrote: »
    Season ticket holder?

Nope. Supervalu had some pre printed ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Some delicious sour grapes being served up on Shannonside FM.

Well played Fermanagh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Fair well to the great pretenders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Give them a break . We need Connaught to be strong in order to strengthen a shot at an all ireland . Division 2 seems light years away from division 1 . Very disappointing to see them go out at this stage .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Give them a break . We need Connaught to be strong in order to strengthen a shot at an all ireland . Division 2 seems light years away from division 1 . Very disappointing to see them go out at this stage .

Meh:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

No we don't, Connaught has never been weaker than the last five years outside of ourselves, if anything this has strengthened our hand going into the AI series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Girls/Boys this is not really the place to discuss Roscommon's continued ineptitude.

The Roscommon thread is this way -> ->

padd b1975 wrote: »
    No we don't, Connaught has never been weaker than the last five years outside of ourselves, if anything this has strengthened our hand going into the AI series.

Correct, a strong Connacht does not mean anything, but I'd prefer to see Connacht teams beat teams from the vastly overrated northern province any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Cormac Reilly strikes again....... Rossies got "Cormacked" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

This. While there is no love lost between the 2 counties fans, this is no time for gloating at their departure. Cormac Reilly strikes again it would seem. I remember that feeling and it's not pleasant.

• Advertisement

Blackjack wrote: »
    This. While there is no love lost between the 2 counties fans, this is no time for gloating at their departure. Cormac Reilly strikes again it would seem. I remember that feeling and it's not pleasant.

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Roscommon still have as many all Ireland's as mayo over the last 5 years = 0

crusier wrote: »

That statistic is totally and utterly correct, but completely out of context for the discussion.

Roscommon came in the 2015 Championship as a team many expected to at least play in the Connacht final, and possibly win it.

But they fell at the second hurdle v Sligo

They then went into the weaker A side of the draw with a decent chance to get to the QF
    They then had a tough draw v the best team in the A side (Cavan) and won it, and then by all accounts they blew it v Fermanagh.

So in the context of the discussion Roscommon totally at utterly underachieved in 2015, instead of making a QF appearance in Croke Park they are out on the 12th July.

If you want to compare them to Mayo go ahead and compare them to the Mayo team of 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

crusier wrote: »

ye should probably focus on Connaught titles first rather than even mentioning All Irelands. So should here manager ;)
    Anyway lads fully fit squad for the Connaught Final in Roscommon Sunday. Looking forward to it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

It's the Evans fault with all his talk of all Ireland's and only the fbd cup and promotion to devision one that had every one talking about how good Roscommon are. In plain English they are sh1te look at the mess they have caused for then selves if they kept the head down and played football and sneaked in to the q finals I'd have more respect for them.

Put no they won a sh1ty league and beat mayo along the way and got promoted that's it that's all they achieved this yr and thers your man talking about winning allirelands.
    That result today did more damage to them then any sh1ty cup or promotion can make up for.
    Any ways on way go to next Sunday where I hope to have pint in my hand after winning Connaught for the 5th time.

Can't but laugh at them though and Evans is just an as5 and set himself and the team up for a massive fall. Even seen their Roscommon Banter Page on Facebook is solely setup to slag Mayo GAA, the bus will be quite for a while!

As long as we hold the head next weekend now. Good result for Galway. Thats a strong side of the draw.

Keane doubtful for the game on Sunday. Injured during A v B game.

Keane doubtful for the game on Sunday. Injured during A v B game.

It would be a pity if he missed it, he has being doing well at FB in 2015.

That being said they have good cover with Cafferkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Fintan Ruddy sub keeper for Sligo on Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Fintan Ruddy sub keeper for Sligo on Sunday

Must be a bit strange for him, hopefully he will be busy watching the ball fly over his head if he comes on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement